Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anti-vax/science/lockdown folks facing consequences in the courts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Anyone who goes straight to personal attack (with absolutely NO basis in what was posted) simply cannot be taken seriously

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

• Registered Users Posts: 18,034 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

The measures had nothing to do with someone's irrational distrust of authority or over-inflated sense of persecution.

They weren't political, they weren't about "taking our freedoms", they weren't a personal "attack" on anyone. It was part of a national effort to reduce deaths, reduce the virus and reduce pressure on our health system.

Slogans to get people to stay at home (during the temp lockdown) were part of the effort to reduce the spread of the virus. It's grim that this stuff has to be explained at this stage.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It's grim that this stuff has to be explained at this stage.

It doesn't need to be explained as it has been several times over. Some just want to ignore the details because, for whatever reason, they are opposed to the measures taken. I suspect most of those reasons are down to either pure selfishness or stupidity but I'd like to be wrong.

Yep. Some people just have a deep-seated belief that the powers-that-be are out to get them or "control" them or screw them over or whatever and that the measures were some sort of extension of that.

• Advertisement

1.9 million in fines for covid breaches around the country between November 2020 and February 2022. Article below gives numbers for a few counties

Those anti's made a nice contribution towards the state coffers in fairness to them

• Registered Users Posts: 23,697 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Some went full William Wallace bellowing about FREEDOM constantly.

Most have scuttled away now but some diehards appear to remain in conspiracy mode.

I heard the word "tyranny" being used. For having to wear a piece of cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,835 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 35,057 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Not working out great for these lads.

Just three people have won discrimination claims over Covid-19 face mask rules to date – a success rate of just over 5 per cent. Among the claims rejected was one brought by a man who entered a West Cork supermarket while maskless and wearing a yellow Star of David.

The Workplace Relations Commission has rejected 53 out of 56 complaints taken under the Equal Status Act 2000 and the Employment Equality Act on disability grounds by individuals claiming they were refused goods, services or reasonable accommodation for being unable to wear a face covering.

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

If the law is equal for all, should the court/doctors/authorities not face murder charges? Ah I forgot this is the topic to ridicule all those people that face consequences for breaching any of the imposed nonsensical restriction, scumbags they should get a life sentence for venturing outside the 5km radius.

My sympathy goes to the parents, they will never find out if they made the right choice because they simply weren't allowed to choose

https://www.eviemagazine.com/post/baby-dies-after-doctors-ignore-parents-request-for-unvaccinated-blood

The entire source seems to be Twitter and a fundraiser. No confirmation from the hospital. Looking it up, people suspect it's a scam.

Even if it was true, then it the parents would be 100% at fault for delaying medical procedures by absurdly demanding "unvaccinated" blood.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Ah I forgot this is the topic to ridicule all those people that face consequences for breaching any of the imposed nonsensical restriction, scumbags they should get a life sentence for venturing outside the 5km radius.

I can't recall a point in this thread when the anti-vax people didn't warrant ridicule which they brought upon themselves.

As for the restrictions, remind us why they were introduced. Was it to control people for some absurd reason or was it simply to reduce the likleihood of an infection spreading and placing a huge burden on the health services? The restriuctions were a common sense approach despite whatever nutjob logic you've been reading!

My sympathy goes to the parents, they will never find out if they made the right choice because they simply weren't allowed to choose

My sympathy would go to the infant who was born into a short life with eejits for parents who placed their childs health well below their stupid ideologies. If anyone is to blame for the infants death, it would be the parents and the parents alone!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,081 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

For those who like to gloat because they think they are so smart for adhering to the prevailing opinion of the herd:

Former federal MP Dr Kerryn Phelps says she and her partner experienced vaccine injury, calling for tests for long COVID and vaccine injuries as well as more research on the long-term harms of the coronavirus and immunisation side effects.

Phelps said that until there were vaccines that prevented transmission, stronger public health messaging and measures were imperative to protect the vulnerable – including those with existing health conditions and people who could not have the vaccine.

Dr Kerryn Phelps says tests for long COVID and vaccine injury are important, and ongoing research is needed.Credit:Peter Braig

In a submission to an ongoing parliamentary inquiry on long COVID Phelps said she and her wife had both been injured after receiving COVID vaccinations.

She said her wife, Jackie Stricker-Phelps, suffered long-term symptoms including ongoing nerve pain and fatigue following her first injection, while Phelps herself experienced symptoms including breathlessness and irregular blood pressure following her second shot.

In an interview, the former Australian Medical Association president and medical practitioner said more research was vital to understanding both the disease and vaccine injury as the pandemic continues.

She's right, it would be great if we could have even less vaccine injuries than present.

Not sure why you use the phrase "prevailing opinion of the herd", it's bizarre and doesn't make any sense. She fully supported and still supports the vaccines. Just wants to see if further research can be done to get vaccine injury numbers down even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭darconio

You assume that the baby died because of the delayed transfusion, however :

1) The parents had a donor ready with the required blood type

2) The transfusion was not required for the success of the operation, in fact it was decided arbitrarily by the doctor

3) The cause of death was blood-clotting following the blood transfusion

I know it's hard, but forget for a second the usual dispute antivax/provax, don't you think the parents were entitled to choose considering that the alternative has proven to be fatal for the infant? On the other end, considering the outcome, should the court/doctor not face charges based on their poor decision?

Again, all of this information is based on a fundraiser and social media. None of this has been confirmed in any way.

However, if hypothetically this was true - parents don't get their "own" donors. Any delays to treatment based on their quackery are on them. If an operation occurs and something unforeseen happens (e.g. complications during surgery) then there are processes to determine if malpractice was involved.

There's no such thing as ordering or getting "unvaccinated" blood or "vegan" blood or "virgin" blood or whatever, it doesn't exist. And when a NZ couple tried it, the court ruled against them and took temporary custody of the child to provide it with the right healthcare.

I think it vindicates the fact that people should be able to make their own choice without coercion. It may be that VAERS and other such databases under-record incidents (yes I know they are only correlations).

Given the amount of vaccine injuries, you are definitely going to sow mistrust if you're seen to be almost forcing people to take the vaccines.

Add in that they don't prevent transmission, particularly in light of Omicron washing over the entire population, and the case for things like vaccine passes and exclusion falls apart for all but we-know-best fanatics.

There have been 14 billion vaccinations, injuries/deaths from the vaccines are relatively very low

People can be too ignorant/selfish to make their own choices, hence we have guidelines/rules/laws.

During the pandemic I came across such intense stupidity it was borderline dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,582 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

This is deceptive on several fronts.

Vaccine passes were in place here before Omicron was circulating. Against the variants then in circulation, vaccination significantly reduced infection rates and transmission. To use Omicron to argue against what was done in 2021 is therefore revisionism without basis.

And that wasn't the only reason for vaccine passes. It was so that people in higher risk social settings such as pubs, if they did get infected, would be far less likely to get severe covid.

Vaccine passes have been dropped here for pubs etc in part because Omicron changed the terrain.

Finally, there was no 'coercion' in Ireland. Everybody had a choice whether to take vaccine or not. Pubs were closed to everyone before we rolled out vaccine passes. It was very much a case of the carrot not the stick. Nobody in Ireland suffered consequences in terms of threats of prisons or fines at the hands of the state for not getting vaccinated.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Of course there was coercion and I've never heard anyway say otherwise until now. I've only seen people say the coercion was 100% necessary and justified on public health grounds (with an "albeit regrettable" thrown in by anyone who wasn't spiteful), or else they opposed it and thought it unnecessary for xyz reasons.

(Obviously what is NOT meant is things like torture or threats of violence.)

In Italy, Lithuania, Australia and Canada you could be barred from most employment, which is what happened to Lech Walesa who was disallowed from trading as a electrician in Communist Poland when he organised the Solidarity trade union.

Btw 'the stick' = coercion. Having a choice doesn't mean that that choice hasn't been coerced in some way.

There wasn't coercion in Ireland.

That point has been challenged multiple times on this forum.

Coercion has a specific meaning which you have entirely failed to substantiate.

the practice of persuading someone to do something by using force or threats.

Nobody was compelled or coerced to be vaccinated in Ireland using force or threats.

To compare a public health measure to a political act against Lech Walesa just shows how far your argument has jumped the shark. If someone was banned from work for drinking or smoking on the job would be summoning his name for them also? Absolute nonsense whataboutery.

Barring people from all public buildings indefinitely is force. Freedom of association was suspended under the 'Emergency' diktat system otherwise it would not have been possible legally.

There was also a cultural atmosphere of unhingedness and huge pressure. I worked with a guy who said unvaccinated people are Nazis.

Then the whole thing was scrapped overnight when inflation was starting to bite. Soon afterwards we facilitated the mass migration of Ukrainians - a large many of whom are not now, and never will be, vaccinated.

Edit: post edited to fix timeline

The 'cultural atmosphere' is not coercion. Coercion has a specific meaning which you have entirely failed to substantiate as applicable to vaccine passes in Ireland.

The unvaccinated weren't barred from all public buildings. They weren't barred from garda stations, hospitals, schools, universities, the courts. They weren't barred from shops, pharmacies. I could go on, but that it sufficient to demonstrate the falseness of your claim.

The rest of your post bears as much connection with reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭purplefields

I got my booster in November as was hospitalised because of it. Got sudden onset anisocoria and need an emergency MRI. My blood pressure is still really high two months later. My side effects have now also been submitted via The Health Products Regulatory Authority (hpra.ie)

Had all of my Covid vaccines. I used to think the anti-vax crowd were cranks. Not any more!

@odyssey06 'The unvaccinated weren't barred from all public buildings.'

Many public buildings though, there was a fairly extensive ban-list as I recall.

My point about our taking in large numbers of un-vaxed migrants bears reflection. If we are taking in people from a country with less vaccinations per capita than Ireland that is admitting that vaccination is subordinate to other, more important considerations.

There's a massive difference between claiming they were barred from all public buildings, and the ones they were barred from. They were not barred from any essential services. They were barred from accessing services which had been closed to all during lockdowns.

Your latter point doesn't mean vaccination isn't important or that the passes wouldn't have been dropped regardless of Omicron. What vaccine pass restrictions were still in force when the war started?

@odyssey06 'They were not barred from any essential services.'

Yeah fair enough.

'Your latter point doesn't mean vaccination isn't important or that the passes wouldn't have been dropped regardless of Omicron. What vaccine pass restrictions were still in force when the war started?'

But clearly its no longer the most important thing, which is what I've said. Do you mind me asking does the mass migration of people from a country with less vaccinations per capita vex you at all?

Don't worry, I'm not going to falsely accuse you of being pro-Russian if you say yes.

The healthcare of the refugees is a concern fullstop, that would be a main aspect of it especially in relation to adult population.

To discuss further would be off topic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,097 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

i am afraid they are absolutely cranks, no doubt about that fact.

nobody has ever said, at least not to my knowledge, that a vaccine can't have unforseen effects on some individuals, some of those effects serious given any medical product can effect people differently the odd time, however what the anti-vax crowd do is spout lies and knowingly so, and keep spouting them even when those lies have been debunked.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

Advertisement