Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk Thread - New season title pending....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Why does it matter which of the Leinster and Munster selections were elective vs forced?

It impacts selection for the next game though. If Munster elected to go full throttle for Leinster and as a result have to field a weaker side for what would possibly have been an easier ask against Ulster, then maybe they made the wrong call.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure anyone can claim that Munster got the selection wrong - we outscored Leinster in the try count and lost by a single point after missing two kicks at goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

And just as easily, rotating against Leinster could see you losing by double digits in front of 26k on Stephen's Day. And the stronger selection could have gone on to lose in Belfast! Pretty sure that would have been an awful lot worse for morale and momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

I would like to see the full stats though. 200+ touches is a low enough bar for a SH. The more touches you have, the more chances there are that you might kick. Is it weighted in anyway to balance the overall touches?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭theVersatile

Oh absolutely, I'm a big advocate for box kicking in the right areas and I've defended Murray to death in the past on this.

Ultimately, I think it should be limited to inside your own ten metre line as an exit tactic - and select analysis based moves. Historically, Munster and Ireland have box kicked up as a far as the opposition ten; whereas nowadays there seems to be more emphasis and playing through the hands in that neutral zone between the two tens.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

The fact it’s done as a % would take care of that, no? (In case I’m misunderstanding).

i.e it’s not that Murray has passed the most. It’s that he’s passed most frequently.

(200+ passes across 61 players is probably as big a sample size of anything you can get in rugby I’d say. Maybe rucks excepted).

But I’d suggest it’s also an indication that he doesn’t snipe as much as he used to as well.

I've heard Prendergast say on more than one occasion that he wants the aerial attacking game to be a significant part of the system. So Murray still has huge value in this regard, not just on exits. Murray also offers far more effective defensive cover against attacking box-kicks/hoists, and we don't need to go all that far back in time to see where that has gone dreadfully wrong for Casey...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭phog

I think Casey will overtake Murray but I never got the Murray is finished view that some "fans" had of him. I think they really miss his strengths and are blinded by bad press from a few when he kicks.

Sorry I read it as 200+ being the entry point. So 61 SH’s have had enough game time to have 200+ touches. Maybe I’m wrong?

Yep, 200+ as the entry point. (Otherwise it’d be distorted by subs who had, say, 5 possessions in a single appearance and passed 100% of them).

But whether they’ve had 200 or 600 possessions, it’s still measuring their % of passes from those possessions.

It’s a more telling metric than if it was straight number of passes, as it’s informs what the SH is trying to do with their possessions.

(if you took Murray’s 90%, that’d be 180 passes or 540 passes on the numbers I’ve used above; not very meaningful. The % normalises that, regardless of number of possessions).

• Advertisement

Yes but if a scrum half puts his hands on the ball 600 times. He is more likely to kick more often than one who does 200 times. So it’s not straight up, 3 times more touches = 3 times more kicks.

Murray is obviously kicking less but off a lot less interactions. If he played more would it balance out.

Ok, I'm pretty certain there's a misunderstanding here then. The % completely takes care of what you're questioning here.

If Murray has 200 possessions and passes 180 times, that'd make him hit 90%.

If X has 600 possessions and passes 450 times, he'll have passed significantly more than Murray (180 vs 450), but not more frequently (90% vs 75%).

Flip it around, if Murray has 600 possessions, he'll have passed 540 times based on his 90% stat.

The % gives you an indiciation what the SH is trying to do with their possessions. It completely accounts for what you're questioning with regards number of touches.

The straight number of would be the more misleading one.

What I’m say is the percentage is based on all things being equal. Then it would work out as you say.

However all things are not equal. The more times you are in possession. The more chance there is that the kick will be the better option. As in the note tones you will probably get possession in a defensive position, or in your own 22. There is also no way to calculate the context of the games, i.e. opposition and tactics for a game.

Having said that Munster seem to be kicking less this season, even in those positions. Something Lancaster highlighted last week.

The tweet doesn’t give the details of the overall break down. I wonder where Casey comes on that list.

Ahhh ok, I see what you’re saying.

My impression is that Munster are kicking less overall in any case. (Including from FB too, as an aside; Haley’s been tasked with running it back more frequently this season than previously).

This can all be simplified: Murray doesn't kick the ball as much as people think.

If somebody wants to delve into a hierarchical Laplacian state-space model to control for nonlinear confounds and differential contextual influence, be my guest.

But at the end of it you'll probably see that Murray doesn't kick the ball as much as people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Are you seriously trying to argue that an injured current member of Munsters squad shouldn't count as an player unavailable through Injury?

Yeah most definitely, there is a clear effort to keep the ball in hand. Which is why I’m wondering if Casey’s pass percentages are high too. I think Ireland are kicking less off 9 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

AFAIK the internationals need 2 consecutive weeks off so if they were rested against Leinster they'd be rested against Ulster too

The rugby nerd in me would like to see it broken down by:

• Inside own 22
    • Own 22 to half-way
    • Half-way to oppositions 22
    • Inside opposition’s 22

Ireland are definitely kicking less too is my impression. Even inside our own 22, we’ve ran it on occasion, and used Lowe as an exit option.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Available for 7 out of 9 is what Friend said. No stipulation on which 7.

• Advertisement

Who had "No True Scotsman" on their post-derby logical fallacy bingo card?

Yep, having those kind of stats would be interesting.

I think with Ireland they are kicking more often than previously but not through 9 and 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭FrannoFan

There is a very real possibility snyman is finished. He's been out nearly as long as Dan leavy. Even if he does come back he might not be the player he was when Munster signed him.

More excited by edogbo and ahern to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 8,571 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

What second rows are available for the weekend?

The ulster maul is formidable, and will need some defending.

Surely beirne isnt going to play, kleyn has a knock but might be available.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Treaty fella

Late call on Kleyns availability, then it could be McDonald and Hurley or McDonald and Coombes with JOS at 8

we are down to the bare bones in the 2nd row

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Eoin O'Connor named as captain for the development side, so he won't be in the mix for the second row for the Ulster match presumably.

Very exciting Munster selection, good opportunity for likes of Sheehan brothers, Oji,gleeson to put in a good performance to ensure Richie murphy selects more than Leinster lads for the U20 six nations

• Registered Users Posts: 3,791 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

I just had a look at our second rows available for this weekend:

Continuing to rehab: RG Snyman (Knee), Tom Ahern (Shoulder), Fineen Wycherley (Shoulder), Paddy Kelly (Head).

Reported to be out for the coming weeks: Edwin Edogbo (Ankle).

Potentially enforced rest due to added playing time accumulated in Autumn Internationals: Tadhg Beirne, Peter O'Mahony (loss as a line-out operator).

Awaiting results of a scan to confirm availability: Jean Kleyn (Knee).

Captaining the Development side (Friday 30th): Eoin O'Connor.

On a Short-Term contract (3-months - Nov-Jan inclusive): Kiran McDonald.

Academy Year 3: Cian Hurley.

Academy Year 1: Evan O'Connell.

Converting from other positions: Gavin Coombes could potentially switch from 8.

So indeed, it may be Kleyn and McDonald with Hurley on the bench if Kleyn is available.

Or else it could be Coombes and McDonald with Hurley on the bench, or Hurley starting with McDonald perhaps and O'Connell on the bench.

• Advertisement

• O'Connell is starting for the Irish U20's this afternoon.

It'll probably be Kleyn and McDonald with Hurley off the bench I'd imagine. Kleyn was pictured in this weeks training photos so hopefully that means the scan was all clear.

Advertisement