Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ukraine Homes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

That would be a great idea, but you would have the usuals complaining about it (as they do about everything). Hopefully we can continue to use these for people seeking refuge/asulym in the future if needed. When fleeing war a bed, warmth and being fed are the basics, and that's what we should provide (forget this own door nonsense, this is not what those genuinely fleeing need).

A tip of the hat to all taking people in, it's a very brave, selfless thing to do and I hope it works out for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Using in old convents and schools branches various planning and building regulation rules so it is remarkable that they are even making this exception to be honest. But I am glad that this is happening.

I lived in a couple of very very old houses that were unsuitable for renting officially. I and others were there like a caretaker situation.

Absolutely brilliant, got to live in the type of place I would never again, very cheap/free rent, highly recommended. I remember Wicklow county council did a similar, with an old building, let out the rooms to some of their workers, very cheap or free.

I don't understand why it's not done more, there are massive amounts of empty buildings were people could stay for a while and save money. It would be great if the refugees accomodation is let to Irish when they can go home.

Because it violates the law sadly. This is why councils will demolish garden cabins that have people living in them. We are very by the book in this country.

Yeah, but it can be got around, like I said, I have lived in places that would not be up to the correct standard as per the law. They need to relax!

• Advertisement

Convents were residential buildings, so no issues with planning. Any buildings used to house refugees are checked by various bodies to ensure their suitability.

These planning and building regs contribute to our housing crisis

Schools and tents are not. Convents would not meet minimum rental standards. Now of course we should make exceptions for people fleeing from war, but we probably should make exceptions for those desperate for a roof over their heads. When group of Irish sisters offered a school for rental in early winter they were mocked in the media, and now the gov is now using using schools to house people. You couldn't make it up.

“ now the gov is now using using schools to house people. You couldn't make it up.” I think it’s local communities using schools to accommodate refugees. Convents being used weren’t schools, but the living quarters of communities of nuns. Inspections are taking place and unsuitable premises rejected.

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Local communities just can't decide to do what they want here! We are the local communities for crying out loud! Myself and 10 others within the "community" should just come together and buy 10 acres and build 10 houses, well tell them it's for the refugess...... It'll be grand sure....... We won't worry about the planning! That is such a ridiculous statement! Suitable or unsuitable makes no difference if its not designated for housing and schools are not designated housing i'm afraid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,386 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

There is buying a round, and buying the whole brewery.

Ireland too has contributed immensely to the success of the likes of the EU, OECD etc…we contribute just fine…

• Registered Users Posts: 25,386 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Crisis is because supply doesn’t meet demand. The Sanderly development in Glasnevin is atrocious and not in keeping with its surroundings… everyone including the very left leaning Roisin Shorthall kicked up over it…

Up the road from the Botanic gardens opposite the met office where the old Joe Duffy garage was…

Now scenes like this will get worse… planning will be out the window…unless it’s unsafe any shack will be granted permission, already is here.

What's wrong with that place strumm? Looks alright to me

You have proof that buildings used to house nuns (or other people) are not designated housing? School buildings, most likely not. Dwellings for whoever, yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 368 ✭✭keoclassic

Nowhere in that post did I refer to convents. I referred to schools specifically and not disused accommodation of old boarding schools either, which a point could be made for! but as a parent I don't think I'd be too happy having a stack of unchecked/unvetted Ukrainian refugees walking around on school grounds!

I’m responding to a response to a post of mine re communities. All accommodation is vetted by authorities and any deemed unfit for purpose is rejected.

Convents, formerly lived in by nuns doesn’t require change if use planning as they’ve always been residential. They, too have to be approved as suitable for habitation anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,678 ✭✭✭RichardAnd

Have you seen the monstrosities that have been build up around Kilmainham? They're giving soviet-era apartment blocks a run for their money in the category of soulless eyesores.

That aside, I wonder how these habitation blocks will age. Many Celtic Tiger era apartment blocks are not done well with the passage of time. I suppose it's one more step on Dublin's journey to becoming Irelands Mega-City One

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Ireland does not spend enough on security. It is a security weak spot. Up to now the Americans were funding NATO and nobody looked to Ireland to do much about security. We have essentially free-loaded for years. That game is up. The Americans are not going to keep writing cheques and the Germans are having to increase their defence spend. We are going to have to do likewise and plug the gaping holes in European security in out area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

Is there a thread covering peoples pledges and experience of releasing their second home, rentals, holiday homes to the humanitarian effort? My parents are about to release their holiday home but are a little nervous.

😎

I know it's important to be kind and empathetic but there is not a hope in hell that I would give property over to strangers. Be very careful here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭poker--addict

I can appreciate the sentiment. I also respect that people are fleeing a disaster zone on our own continent where the dead include children. Care is been taken hence the request for first hand experiences, or a link to boards or Facebook page which may help.

😎

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭HerrKapitan

Is it true that the government are going to CPO new-build homes for Ukrainian refugees? Even the ones already allocated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Haven't heard that anywhere. Sounds like grumpy pub talk. Do you have a source?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,133 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

• Registered Users Posts: 68,760 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ridiculous link-dump deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭AlanG

All the talk of CPO on any home is just politics. To CPO a property you need to proive it is in the public good and there is no good alternative that woudl not need a similar CPO. Easy enough with building roads and public infrastructure. A far more difficult thing to argue in court if you are a council with hundreds of acres of land and multiple vacant properties that could be repurposed. they cant simply go in and say I want to take over Marys holiday home because I couldn't be bothered building / refurbishing my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

Does anyone know if Ukrainian refugees get some form of welfare payment or supplement for rent payments if renting from private landlords? Just asking because it seems whenever there's one at a viewing, they tend to get the place. Not surprised about it but just wondering if there's something other than charity reasons that makes them the most sought after tenants now.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭ShayNanigan

If the agent or landlord says so. Well, who knows, maybe there's just an influx of Ukrainian couples and they pay their own rent. Fair enough then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,271 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why would you assume they can't pay their rent? These are not economic refugees. Their banking system still works, many have tech and media jobs that mean they can WFH, except they can't go home. I used to manage a team based the Ukraine, the men are all on the front line except one who was disqualified for medical reasons. The women are scattered across Europe including Ireland. The office was close to the Russian border and they watched the build up from the office windows over the weeks before hand and the final few were taken out by private bus. There is nothing there now, the office and their apartment buildings have been levelled. They (women) are still working for us and are continuing to be paid very hight salaries by Irish standards and have no problem paying their way.

This is not a refugee crisis like any other, wealthy Ukrainians have not lost everything, although it may be reduced, Ukrainian companies were well aware of the possibility of an invasion and had plans in place to move their operations overseas - we had plans in place for almost two years before they had to be activated. There is no generic Ukrainian refugee - there are some that have lost everything and those are the ones you hear about, but there are also one that can well afford to pay their way. The ones you meet might be needing support or might be well able to pay their way.

Advertisement