Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Toyota Approved Used-Opinions On Toyota Hybrid

• 29-12-2022 8:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Looking too dip my toe in the hybrid waters and see this option on Toyota used cars and wondering is it worth extra money

After that is a Corolla or Auris a good petrol Hybrid Option

Have a 2012 Golf Auto TSI (maybe 10 more like 8-9K) and then I am seeing I would need about 16K for (next sport one I seen was in Cork and petrol etc would kill off savings)

https://approvedused.toyota.ie/used-cars/ireland/a0Z6700000e0kvy?Toyota/Corolla/Co.%20Kildare

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,617 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Have you been offered 9k for your Golf as a trade in against the Corolla?

The asking price of that Corolla seems very high as does your Golf valuation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

I've yet to go to a place and see but what I've seen on dondeal most similar cars are 10k or so

The dealer I got the golf of, I priced my 2010 ford focus at around 4k from the net and he gave me that (January this year)

In answer to your question, I can't fault any of the Toyotas or their warranty back up I've ever bought or used. The hybrid driving experience isn't bad, the driving experience cab however put some off.

Make sure you do a good test drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

They were €29609 for a Luna Sport when that was new. That said it’s apparently hard to get new ones and they’re having another price hike.

FWIW I know someone who got one and I wasn’t blown away by the interior and some of the weight/cost saving, I’m not buying one though and there’s plenty people who are.

real life mixed consumption of 5l/100km as well, which is 56mpg, it wouldn’t be driven hard though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I got a 201d Toyota Corolla Luna Sport Saloon last January. I would describe it as an unremarkable car to drive. When it switches to battery, its surprisingly (to me) quiet. I'm a very boring driver and try hard to keep the 'econometer' in the green zone. Over a month, my average is about 5.4l/100km. Not sure how good that is compared to other cars. I am not at all fooled by the nature of the beast - you have to run the engine to charge the hybrid battery - so battery mode is really just converted petrol. (I have been unable to find any routes that are 100% downhill out and back 😂😂😂).

Once or twice, I've given it socks on some back roads and it stuck to the road in the bends, no rolling to speak of either. The engine tends to growl when accelerating any way hard, which sounds like a design feature to discourage it 🤣. All passengers report feeling very comfortable during journeys.

There's plenty of boot space as well. The navigation system is crap, but thanks to advice on here, I installed Android Auto on my phone and using the cable connection instead of Bluetooth, I can use Google Maps on the big screen on the dash.

Its cheap to tax and insure.

Missed this, a dealer has to make money, prep a car and rectify any unexpected issues and put in some bargaining space in the price. I can't see you getting anything close to what ypu expect unless the car you're buying is overpriced to the extent they can do it which it appears to be.

@colm_mcm I was thinking it wasn't much more expensive new. Madness, 4 years old and it's depreciated by about 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭LasersGoPewPew

I would agree with NickNickleby. It's very unremarkable to drive. I thought the acceleration up to 40-50kph is quite good but after that it's not great. But that's expected with only 122hp. It's very quite driving around urban areas and the transition from battery to ICE is seamless.

Once you get up past 100kph there's a lot of road noise and engine drone when accelerating hard. In terms of reliability they are bullet proof. There's so many of them as taxis. I found the lane keep assist was terrible and nowhere near as refined as the German brands. Collision avoidance worked well. The active cruise control was OK but slow to speed up again if the car ahead steadily accelerated. The suspension is very comfortable and is great at taking potholes.

I averaged 4.8l/100km tank to tank fill doing mostly city driving during the summer. I wish the 2.0L version with 188hp was affordable to buy here.

Toyota offer a 15 year hybrid warranty when the car is serviced every year with them

Some great feedback here thanks

Would I be better going for something else as the VW tsi is fairly poky

Mostly in and out of work for ten minutes, then a hour or so here or there, not doing hours of driving a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think the huge potential advantage a Corolla would have over a Golf is reliability, not that the newer TSI stuff is especially terrible, but the Corolla is head and shoulders above pretty much anything you could get.

Drive one and you’ll know if it’s for you or not.

• Advertisement
Advertisement