Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Classic Hits 80s on Temporary FM Licence

• 28-12-2022 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭

Classic Hits 80s has been mentioned in a few other threads. I felt it deserved its own thread. It started a 30-day FM run as of midnight this morning and is covering four cities.

The attached article gives some more information about it:

As CEO Kevin Branigan points out, this station has been around as an online, digital companion station to Classic Hits Ireland for a while. Having heard it today, it is hard to miss that it is related to Classic Hits Ireland, as the latter was mentioned frequently! In the article, it mentions some people are newcomers to the station. I would clarify that Emily Brew is a presenter on sister station Radio Nova, as indeed is Paul McGuinness who I heard presenting earlier today. Matt Dempsey, "network executive", is also a presenter on Radio Nova. Incidentally, "newcomers" Emily Brew and Declan Ralph have presented on Christmas FM, who had kept 105.2 warm for Classic Hits 80s in Dublin!

Declan Ralph and fellow newcomer Dave Daly are both involved with community station Near FM.

Incidentally, having just checked Robbie Kane on Linkedin now, it is incorrect to describe him as a "newcomer". He used to be a presenter on Classic Hits 4FM, as it was called then!

Mr. Brannigan has run plenty of temporary licences at this stage: 2 each for Choice FM and 949 The Rock and at least 2 (possibly more) for The Rock (non-Dublin regional version of 949)!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Read the article. Sounds like half or three quarters of the Nova line-up are involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭kazoo106

As a listener to Heart 80s during my every workday. I have been tuning in to this station instead over the last few days.

I've often asked the reason for these temps before and I have no need to ask this time, the station is clearly an "advertisment" for Classic Hits 4FM in the areas that it serves, which I have to say is very clever, considering Christmas FM closed down only a few hours before on the same PI code. This also explains why only Dublin, Cork, Galway and Limerick and not the rest of the Christmas FM frequencies

The Music is well curated and they seem to have sorted out the skipping audio which was prevelant for the first day or so - there are some gems in there which you'd never hear on Heart 80s like Aslan etc.

All in all well put together and congratulations to all involved - would be a nice permanent addition to a digital multiplex (see my other posts !!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Playing the usual 80s hits.....

Nothing unique or different about it which is a pity as presumably they're not relying on ad revenue and can play what they want.

With myriad tunes from that decade, I can't understand why they can't play a few that haven't been overplayed over the last 3 decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭StreetLight

All 80s is much better. It pops up on FM in Dublin every now and then. A lot of lesser known songs and a good few Irish ones too. I don't know of any other 80s station that plays Bagatelle and Johnny Logan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

All80s is an online station. Every so often it has been relayed on 94,3FM from Dublin by a pirate operation. I agree about its music selection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭ITV2

Had a listen today, mostly the usual Now80's CD tracks no gems to be heard. As for imaging just a big advert for Classic hits radio. I'll stick to timewarp radio online.

Post edited by ITV2 on

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Will give it a shot, strange them going to FM for a genre when the likes of Heart in the UK and even Today FM and Q102 80s are online stations only.

Matt Dempsey is going to be a busy boy with his Nova shifts plus breakfast on this and he is station manager!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 80s

It would be good if they played some lesser heard songs from the big artists eg.Duran Duran Skin Trade.

Also maybe some songs from lesser played artists eg. Belle Stars, XTC ect.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Lord Nelson

Agreed. While I’m a fan of the 80’s, I find the lazy music selection disappointing to say the least. Sounds like a couple of “Now” albums on constant repeat. Five days in, I’ve heard the likes of “Maneater”, Baby Jane” & “Nothing’s Gonna Stop Us Now” played umpteen times daily. Can’t see myself lasting 30 days unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26 Gold7

I've had a listen to this 80s Station, it is a bit of the same songs that you would on other Oldies Stations. Interestingly since Classic Hits 80s went on air RTE Gold are now playing a lot more 80s songs than before.

• Advertisement

If it was NOW 80s at least you might get some Thomas Dolby or Fiction Factory.

Or what about all the Next U2s .... the Irish bands from the 80s.....

Or some 80s Hip Hop

Or some 80s House

Or Matt Bianco 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,709 ✭✭✭Infoanon

Exceptionally disappointing so far , the same 80s hits on high rotation, they even managed to repeat the same Kim Wilde show at 10am on both Saturday and Sunday.

The objective is to raise the profile of Classic Hits 80s , the problem is that this is an online service in amongst many hundreds of '80 stations.

What is the usp of CH 80s , a missed opportunity imho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Insidethetent

Agree, I came across this on FM last year and listen on my Roberts radio. 80s gems you don't find elsewhere and obviously curated by an enthusiast. all80sjukebox.com and the tunein app on the smart tv.

Plenty of pirate radio experience involved (including the behind the scenes people here): Kevin Brannigan, Dave Kelly, Matt Dempsey, Colm Hayes, Brian Walsh, Declan Ralph and Dave Daly. The two Daves and Matt were involved with various iterations of Capitol Radio during the 1980s. Colm and Dave Daly were both with Radio City in the late 1970s and/or early 1980s. The two Daves were also with ARD in the late 1970s. Colm and Dave Kelly both did stints with superpirate Q102.

I don't understand the idea behind this having a temporary license since the 80s is already a major part of Classic Hits proper, not to mention Q102 and Today FM have even recently reinstated an 80s show. A 50s, 60s, or 70s temp station would be something that isn't catered for elsewhere on the FM band

A former pirate Premier FM ran with three temporary licences during the '00s playing oldies from the '60s, '70s and '80s. Something like that, or what has been suggested in the quoted post, could have been interesting. As regards stations regularly covering those decades on traditional radio, as opposed to online stations, you have to rely these days on part-time weekend pirate operations. Maybe the operators concerned might consider doing that yet. More or less all of the people involved with those pirates have previously been on temporary licensed stations, including some with Premier FM!

As suggested in other posts, the temporary licence for Classic Hits 80s may well be a promotional tool for itself and/or Classic Hits Ireland. It may also be a way to test the skills or experience of certain individuals for future possible projects.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

As explained above, very shrewd move from Classic Hits. Xmas FM goes off air in the 4 cities on the 27th and this pops up on the 28th with the same PI code so everyone with Xmas FM stored will automatically have this station presetted. It's an excellent opportunity to pick up some accidental listenership and raise awareness of the main Classic Hits station

* Everybody mentioned so far has been with local Dublin stations, if you include Radio Nova, which is licensed for the commuter belt, and community stations. Community stations that some have been involved with include Dublin City FM, Liffey Sound and NEAR FM. Almost all of the commercial Dublin stations are certainly represented: Radio Nova, Sunshine 106.8, 98FM, FM104 and Q102. The only possible exception is Spin1038.

I alluded in my first post to previous temporary licence involvements by Kevin Branigan, Emily Brew and Declan Ralph. To that list you can add Matt Dempsey (949 The Rock) and Brian Walsh (Easy Radio and Christmas FM).

* Except Kim Wilde of course!!

Post edited by Declan A Walsh on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭Antenna

Though four of "the rest of the Christmas FM frequencies" would have expanded availability across the Classic Hits (ex 4FM) service areas: the two for 'commuter belt' areas of counties near Dublin (88.1/99.5), north Cork, and the one in Clare. A total of 8 transmitters of what XMAS used, though I presume 4 was a compromise.

• Advertisement

I happened to have it on online this afternoon and heard Brendan Murphy of the Four of Us promoting a Classic 80s Irish Album programme on Sunday at 7pm. He will be presenting it going through their album Songs for The Tempted track by track. At least that is something slightly different in the station's programming. Presumably others will be analysing other albums over the following Sundays.

Edit: Left out the word Irish!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It was the same weekend just gone... repeating the same Kim Wilde show. Whatever about repeating it say, Saturday morning and Sunday night, to repeat two mornings in a row is poor programming.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Heard this for the first time today. It's not offering anything different, just seems to be a shop window for the main station. Very disappointing.

Indeed. It certainly is a poor advertisement for the main station with constant repetition and a playlist of songs that have been flogged to death for the last forty years. There was a lot more to the 80’s than a couple of “Now” albums on repeat. Wasted opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 behanator

Another example of the BAI rolling over and allowing themselves to surrender to regulatory capture. Is there any backbone in the BAI or will they continually allow the small number of commercial licencees just do what they like without consultation?

What is the purpose of the 30-day licence? Is it to stimulate choice and enable groups evaluate the potential audience/demand for a service or is it simply a cheap stunt opportunity for existing licencees?

Not taking away from CH cheekiness and opportunism, it's an efficient and cheap stunt but a real regulator would have no truck with it. Interesting to see if they'll get away with it next year.

Who am I kidding. Of course they'll get away with it. Another voicetrack station in a broom closet with even less regulatory oversight than Sunshine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

One of the news bulletins yesterday morning starter with 'Good Evening'....

The dreaded Colm and Lucy were on during breakfast yesterday, there was a lad on later who said he was on till x time bit given nobody ever quotes a time assume it is 100% voice tracked?

Anyone know what's happening after 30 days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

They'll turn off the transmission network and the same crap will continue to go out online.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

At least the "Now" albums have some lost classics on them

I happened to be driving yesterday evening and I heard a good bit of U2's 1984 album The Unforgettable Fire, being played track by track by Declan Ralph. At least that was different from the normal playlisting.

• Advertisement

Regarding Now 80s TV channel mentioned above, some unusual stuff pops up on that, I flicked it on this evening and playing was 'The Chicken Song' !

It's Free To Air satellite but has to be manually tuned in on Sky boxes in ROI (not on EPG), search for tuning details

Another 80s music channel has recently appeared, also FTA, called That's 80s and a sister channel called That's 60s with 60s music. The ad breaks happen on both these at the same time with the same ads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

It's the same 50 songs on repeat.

I've heard Man-eater, and the host call Bryan Adams "the groover from Vancouver" every day that week.

Seriously need to mix it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I hit the Christmas FM button by accident and was surprised to find this. I cant get the parent station where I am. The playlist is the obvious 80's hits although I think it might be the only station I get on FM that still plays music from that era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can you not pickup the parent Classic Hits FM station? They play 90s stuff too I suppose.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I heard them playing 19 by Paul Hardcastle yesterday which was a change.

Have heard Lionel Richie's 'All Night Long' every day.

Today Friday is the last day on FM for CH 80s

regarding their news bulletins during the day - they should have (if it needs to have news bulletins) have put them out at perhaps 5 minutes to the top of the hour ( *:55) - so there is music at the top of the hour and perhaps catch listeners from other stations who have had enough of news. As where I am, nearly all stations are in news at the top of the hour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 fmfan

What's going out on these frequencies now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Static.

It was crap anyway, just a small playlist of mainstream 80s pop hits, nothing niche or alternative. I must have heard Steve Winwood every time I tuned in.

In the days of streaming, what's the point in exploring such a thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

For locations where it is very easy to have a radio , for example workplaces , but difficult to have access to a streaming device that could cover an entire area .

That's the way it has been used in my workplace the last month

Interview about 22mins into this about the recent Classic Hits 80s on FM run

Whilst not raised in the interview, it did appear to me to be a reoccurring theme that there were some good, but it seems rarely heard nowadays on Irish radio, 1980s songs which were not to be heard, including songs which people recall got a lot of airplay on the 'super-pirates' of the era that people seem to look back in awe at, such as 'Sunshine 101' , the original Q102, and the original Nova, which perhaps deserved airplay on an all-80s station?

On the other hand Classic Hits may say that the playlist for the 80s station was dictated by 'market research'?

Post edited by Antenna on

I'm just thinking about the amount of name changes and tweaks this main station has had since it launched, 4fm/Timeless Hits 4fm/Classic Hits 4fm/ Classic Hits FM/Classic Hits/Ireland's Classic Hits/Ireland's Classic Hits radio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

Hi just wondering is classic hits 80s gone off the air or what is happening. I just put it on now and nothing is happening and I have it on 106.7 fm or was it just on for the month of January just wondering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Yep, it was only on a 30 day temporary FM licence so it's gone now. Still available online though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭Aidan McCarthy

It didn't last long for classic hits 80s to be on FM

Given that they were operating with a 30 day temporary licence, how could they have lasted any longer?

You will hear Irish language pop station Radio Ri-Ra at weekends on the same frequencies for the next few weekends. Just now tuned them in on 1O6.7 this evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 672 ✭✭✭TheBMG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Correct.

The Now albums simply reflected what was successful over a 4 month period. The tracklist was also determined by whoever EMI, Virgin and from late 80s, Polygram could licence. Whereas CBS, WEA and BMG ran the rival Hits franchise. Both series include plenty singles that were popular at the time but are rarely heard today. Unlike any Irish radio programme dedicated to the 1980s.

These all seem to operate from the same pool of predictable tracks with a serious amount of cherrypicking. I tried pitching a Forgotten 80s show to my local station and the response was “Maybe songs are forgotten for a reason”.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryangontv

CH 80s is back on air today according to Radiotoday, however as of 4:31 Xmas is still on

Ireland’s Classic Hits Radio brings back 80s service on FM – RadioToday

• Registered Users Posts: 27 ryangontv

I assume they switch over at mid-day? ISTR Christmas FM went on at 12 noon with test transmissions beforehand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement