Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

online dating

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Badoo but I haven't been on it for a fair while but they haven't changed anything so it still should be. A lot of foreign woman on there if that's your thing or foreign men. I found out after I met up with a Irish girl on there one time and she told me that it was full of foreign men. She was good looking too but was IP banned from POF at the time as she must have said something to people on there. She was good looking and well able to hold a conversation both on the computer and in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,274 ✭✭✭pgj2015

thats weird. maybe she just said yes to everyone without pausing.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

And I just logged into an old account just to see and it all came back to me you cannot even message girls on there. And as I said a lot of good looking foreign girls who you cannot message unless you fork up money and there are some stunners that makes me believe they are probably fake accounts to get you to fork up money thinking you will get with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,856 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I can’t divulge that, what if by some odd chance, he reads this - and finds out I’m a nutter, underneath my calm exterior…

Hes hardly that much of a freak that he uses boards.ie 😂

• Advertisement

I know, I highly doubt it. But one never knows who reads these things, better not to share identifying info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

The really desperate ones can be fun for one night, so you might as well take her up on it. Obviously meet at here and make sure she doesn’t know your full name and address in case she is a nutter who holds a grudge.

I’d be curious how far you can push her.

Never got a reply last night or this morning. Wish I hadn’t texted him now, that’s embarrassing. But I’ll never see him again so who cares 😊

Mad you were thinking about me in work xD

I'm not expecting an oscar winning performance to get my attention, but I don't like "Hey" any more than a woman would. I use an app where women have to message first, and they open with that. Does my head in.

I knew you were worried about rejection, dont be, why would you, you would have regretted it if you didnt text him, also dont assume he wont text back yet. I remember in college a friend of mine was with someone one night, she text him a day or 2 later, he replied a month later, she text back, oh someone is playing it cool. 😂

• Advertisement

Yeah but if you met some woman in a pub, that is probably what she would say first? 🤔 then you get chatting properly, I wouldnt let hey put you off, women can be shy on online dating sites.

A month! Sounds like he just wanted another ride

Of course 😂 he was probably bored. I text someone 6 months after I was with them once, met her again as well, for a date.

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

I've been on and off the sites over the years. Plenty of Fish has been my most successful. But that was when you could message people. Now it's the same as tinder, you have to match with them before you can message...though you're allowed one message to contact someone a day.

Tinder is the worst. I'm back on it a week and literally have 0 matches despite swiping right on everyone. I was just curious to see if I'd get any match...but no. Not one. But it's not really surprising, every woman on tinder seems to be at least an 8/10....a lot of 9 and 10/10s on it too. There seems to be a lot of women just looking for insta followers too. Another thing about tinder, is that most women have loads of pics of them wearing next to nothing, bikinis etc. Doesn't leave much to the imagination. Not many classy women on tinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Yeah, you should give up. If you didn't find the wife in the two days you were on it, it obviously isn't worth it.

What about your man Willy whatshisname in Lisdoonvarna? He might be your only chance. Well not him personally, but he might find someone for you. Unless he's your type of course

Do you have much road frontage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I hate when that happens. 😑 Don't take a break yet though. I find I get a lot more matches around new years. That's when they make their resolutions.

Do you have much road frontage?

I actually do have road frontage miles and miles of it around the whole of Ireland. The long acre.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

The classlessness on tinder on this my latest stint into the heart of darkness is something to behold! It's a soft core fest. Mostly fake though, in reality they are 6's. Never underestimate how good women are at faking it ;P

Don't get me started on trying to hold conversations with people. Went on a great date with a girl a couple weeks ago, she's all for a 2nd, chatting away one evening a week ago, mid convo, blanked and heard nothing since. Someone should make the film, 'A Million ways to Fail on Tinder' I can be the protagonist

Can't wait for winter to end and uninstall. Something about the winter blues and apps...

its not all about looks. it might have been a lucky escape.

"No Shrek lookalikes" just saw this on some woman's profile. bit harsh, definitely someone to steer clear of.

• Advertisement

You caught my attention what did she look like truthfully? Like was she woman of your dreams good looking or just average. If she is just average and average body she is full of herself.

She was good looking in fairness but still she wont always be like that, so shallow and she was late 30's.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Confused11811

Jesus a lot of sensitive people on here. Maybe you where all brought up being told you're so special and you can have whatever you want... That's a fairytale folks.

The fact is if you go onto dating apps be prepared for rejection. You are most likely not the picture perfect ideal match for most. If you take dating app rejection personally you ain't cut out for real life relationships.

My 2cents worth on online dating.... Speaking as shortarse mid forties single father, probably considered good looking but certainly not for everyone. Tinder is the only app required, have a nice honest Bio, with a little bit of humour in it. A few decent photos of yourself, recently taken and make sure you're nicely groomed and swipe away. Nothing wrong with dropping a few quid into going tinder gold and buying a few boosts, rack up a bunch of matches and chat with them. I personally only chat with verified people. Don't be put off by non-responders, I wouldn't delete them either. Not everyone is on tinder 24/7. Sometimes they're chatting with someone else and when that doesn't work out they may contact you.

I was on Tinder in my mid thirties. My wife passed away 18 months earlier, Initially I dreaded the thoughts of it and thought nobody would be interested. It was exactly what I needed. I made some great connections and had some great times. It was only ever going to be casual because of my situation with at the time really young kids, babies really. Yeah I had a lot of rejection from ladies who couldn't get their heads around dating a single dad, I didn't blame them or take it personally. But I made one or two FWB who I treated like royalty and they where really good to me. We had a lovely time, they were my escape from a situation I never expected myself to be in.

Went on tinder again about 5 years ago, this time hoping to find a relationship with a single parent someone in a similar situation as myself. Again I dated a few really nice people and eventually met someone who I spent a number of years with. Unfortunately it didn't work out, such is life.

When I decided to return to tinder about 5 months ago I really wasn't sure what to expect. But honestly I've had a really good time. Personally I'm totally honest about my intentions, initially I just wanted casual but I'm done with that and now I'm currently looking for a long term relationship with someone in and around my age. I've matched and dated some absolutely amazing ladies, some from nearby areas and some from much different backgrounds and cultures, mostly my age, some much younger and a few older ladies too. It for me has been a very positive, not one bad experience. At the same time I'm really looking forward to deleting the app for good. Hopefully it's third time lucky :-)

From a male perspective I think If you're honest, can present yourself well, don't come across like a dry shite, have a bit of humour and respect the ladies you'll find tinder can be great. When you actually get out and date the person leave your shite at home, appreciate the person sitting in front of you. Treat the lady as you'd like to be treated, put your best self forward and hopefully they'll do the same. When that happens you'll have a great time. There someone out there for everyone:-)

Back when I was recently widowed, In conversation I brought up the fact I'd have limited availability so wouldn't be able to commit to a normal relationship. It's very unusual for a male to be a single parent of 2 kids under 5, most people understood what I was saying. But I explained that the free time I had wouldn't be wasted and if they were willing to deal with the limitations I had they would always have a good time in my company. Not ever lady wanted a full relationship, not many would admit it but sometimes FWB was exactly what they needed, especially those just out of LTR and going through separation and divorce.

You won't get instant results on apps, you might get no matches for ages. I can only say my results have been okay and I'm happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭byrne249

It's what they needed when you convinced them it seems. lol. What a load of poop

You've a terrible cynical attitude.... But this is AH after all.

Anyway I've a coffee date tomorrow evening with a rather attractive lady who is just a few years younger than me but definitely the right relationship age group for me. It'd be nice if it leads to something further. Hopefully I won't be doing the online dating scene much longer.

All the best to those who are struggling a little bit with the online dating scene. Stay positive hopefully 2023 is a better one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 patoffaly1971

Women date up on apps and men date down. Due to the large amount of attention women get on apps, many average looking women are left feeling like celebrities. A 6 or 7 /10 in attractiveness will feel like a 9, although they would not receive a fraction of this attention in the real world.

Average looking men, or certainly below average, are left in the shadows due to better looking men getting all the replies.

I am not sexist and I say fair play to women in this boat, men would love if the roles were reversed.

That said, it is important for one to know their lane, if long-term happiness is what they are pursuing. For the most part, people settle with those of similar status in looks and dating apps can create an illusion for those receiving either lots of matches or none at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭JoChervil

Well, it is that way because men tend to match with everyone. While women only with those they really like. If men were more picky the result would be different, so men really are causing this discrepancy. I wouldn't like to date a man, who would like to date anyone because they are not choosing me, a real person, only a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,647 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Well I think that a part of that dynamic does also pass over into the real world. Most woman get approached and get attention in settings such as pubs or nightclubs. Which could give them an elevated impression of their physical attractiveness relative to their peers..........I mean there are regular threads of "I'm an attractive girl but I can't get a good man up to what I consider is my standard" type questions. Apps might have enhanced the effect but I think it was always there in real life too. I suppose that in the past, more people were settling down and getting married younger and so it didn't persist for as long

• Advertisement

Some Women also use filters that make them look absolutely nothing like what they really look like. I doubt men do this on the apps?

Advertisement