Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tesla Model 3 - V3.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

All have rear seat heating either included or as a software upgrade, haven't bothered paying for it as will have car seats in the back for the next 12 years so no point. It's only 200 though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,131 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Or just look at the picture.

chrome trim Fremont.

black trim MIC.

Saves all the vin search crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Gile_na_gile

There was like a month of overlap between MY21s from Fremont and Shanghai, mostly 202 reg cars but not that many I think. There was a red one for sale recently (delisted now) which was a 202 SR+ from Fremont and had chrome delete etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

We’ve added a Shanghai built model 3 basic model to the fleet just over 3 months ago and 12,000 km done now.

I’d just like to add a general experienced irish market opinion, on the current Chinese built model 3 as I think some posters get overly caught up in insignificant details, so here is my opinion.

I genuinely think it’s the best built Tesla ever , and I was waiting to put a few miles on bumpy roads to see if the build quality would hold up.

A few stand out points re the base model.

great price point in Ireland , net of grant.

Much More than adequate acceleration.

more than adequate grip, in standard Rwd , especially relevant after icy spell.

Fantastic ride and handling for Ireland

Top class safety assists, very helpful when tired in bad weather, dark night and heavy but speedy traffic .

brilliant headlights

best car ever for M50 stop start traffic on auto pilot ( helps if you scroll top speed below 30 kmh to stop over eager acceleration/jerkiness)

top class one pedal operation

super efficient on motorway compared to any other BEV I’ve driven

high quality switches, excellent motor operation (seats/windows/sealing)

excellent door action, closing/opening action excellent feel, build and fit and finish , great choice and use of materials.

great seats, great steering wheel (size ,feel ,action) nice pano roof.

brilliant wiper action (mechanically and noise speaking) very important in Ireland, I’d had experience of an original Lexus LS 400 back in the day and believe it or not the spindly wipers put me off long term ownership of an otherwise great car.

super wash wipe and washer water application

However the Tesla Ai for the auto wipers needs slight tweaking, particularly on, initial ON,in very light rain/road spray.

Great dash cams ( caught a great video of a hawk flying away with live pigeon pray in its clawson a back road and struggling to gain altitude right in front of us for about 100 m , we were able to record retrospectively by just beeping the horn after the nice incident)

super high quality granny cable

good sound system

supremely quite and relaxing motorway cruiser , with the rate we’re putting miles on the car I have already priced the replacement cost of the original equipment Pilot sports (€1200) currently, I’d say you could easily ruin the car with the wrong tyres .

Tesla super charging can add 100s Km’s very fast. (Scared the crap outa me, in the freezing weather when it suddenly blew off steam from the front wheel arches during one freezing foggy weather , all normal apparently but I thought it had caught fire and jumped out )

excellent winter range , even in brutal weather, helped in no small part by the heat pump

very helpful phone app and keyless operation, backed up by password to drive security, great phone integration and induction charging x2 phones at a time .

ideally sized car in todays bloated SUV land , feels lithe and pointy, not in any way lardy, a sporty family car.

still a good conversation starter in the business world, seems to hit the sweet spot between professional, but not too flash, ‘tis a great mobile office too.

nice to stick it to the oil industry too after years of gas guzzling ,

In short , one of the best built cars I’ve experienced, regardless of brand , which previously and currently includes the some of , the best of the best luxury brands and high performance cars over the decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

Thanks for that Bigus - much appreciated.

Out of curiosity did you add any options to the base model? Wondering about ordering one and trying to decide spec. I drive for work so LR would be perfect but think that screws up the grant but might be able to fudge the standard range with planning or just use the ICE for those really long days.

• Advertisement

There’s no real options to pick other than :

19” wheels

Paint colour

Seat colour

EAP/FSD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭joe1303l

No grant for LR models unfortunately which makes for a big price walk to get more range. You would really want to need the bigger battery to justify the spend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thanks for that, agree with most of it, except perhaps for the lights. Main beam I find fine, but neither myself or Tesla seem to be able to get dipped adjustment correct. When you aren't blinding others, the dipped beam is too low to make driving safe when on unlit country roads meeting other traffic. Would like sometime to compare to another car (Mine is a March 2022 RWD)

I think the software and updates are brilliant, they simply work. Contrary to others, I had no problem with my ID.3 either, except for them being too slow to roll out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭traco

I've done a few configs and dropped back to the 19" wheels and slected blue. Anything else takes it out of the grant space. Keep jumping between it and the Y. Herself has no interest but drives a big SUV so the Y might be an easier change even though she isn't intersted I'm guessing a few days commute around the M50 in the model Y would change her mind completely.

The grand changes are really making me wonder what to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Cheers

yeah , the whole point of my review/ post is that Basic is brilliant, and Tesla did a lot of work and irish discounting to squeeze in below the grant threshold.

sure isn’t the same model in the uk £48500 sterling ?which in my mind underpins the value of the irish supplied one at circa €52000 net and will discourage future UK imports.

in retrospect, I wouldn’t go LR , 4wd or performance, and I’ve had a lot of performance ice cars in my time , I find everything about the base model ideal, even after 3 months and 12000 km.

• Advertisement

Model Y likely to have better resale and has better standard spec but Model 3 will obviously have slightly better range, maybe 10% more.

Best thing to do is go drive both.

Book a test drive if each back to back in Sandyford.

They will have a RWD Y in January I believe.

MY RWD about 330km @ 110km/h based on real world owners in Australia.

I presume that 330km is “summer range” given it’s summer over there now ?

I'm finding that range realistic here in my Model 3 in the colder weather. Aircon uses a lot in Oz also

300km might be a reasonable expectation then for a MY rwd here in winter. (Allowing a 10% advantage for the M3)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Delboy33

Sandyford have a UK registered MY RWD you can test drive. I test drove it just before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,511 ✭✭✭wassie

I’d say you could easily ruin the car with the wrong tyres .

Yep. Our leasing company insists on fitting Dunlop/Goodyear tyres on our fleet cars and it sh!ts me to tears. As someone who drives robustly, I miss the handling of the PS4s.

Is it a similar spec/battery etc. to the €53K MY RWD cars that are due here in Feb/Mar ?

• Advertisement

I am getting better than 330 km in the cold weather here in my Model 3, mainly due to little motorway driving. But stop/start, repeatedly heating the car and Sentry use are killers. (There is a new Sentry "light" but no experience as yet how much less uses)

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I got my MIC Model 3 in September and I'll just echo most of what Bigus had to say above.

Two annoying flaws: the wipers don't come on early enough in drizzle (mentioned by Bigus) and it's impossible to see the door handles (and hard to even feel for them) in the dark (door handles are black and the car is MSM/grey). If they were backlit it would be ideal.

That's about it though - otherwise the car is fantastic, and flawless thus far as far as build quality goes. It will be interesting to see how it ages - both in terms of what Tesla and the competition do next, and in terms of how well it wears as a vehicle.

I didn't try parking during quick test drive. All I can say it is a big bus and I think when dark and low sunlight it will be challenging to park. Back should be Ok but front will be an issue.

Haven't had a problem seeing the door handles, but my car is white. But often takes a few goes to find the charging socket in the dark, pity there is no light in there like on other cars..

I’d assume so too.

That could drop to 250km in winter here I’d say.

Spec and battery yes.

But, I don’t think it has the comfort suspension. It hit the UK around the time it was implemented in China so it would have to be checked in person.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

You are right, it is a big bus. Test drove one myself in November (not the one you drove). Thinking now that I might book another test drive and let herself drive it as she is the one more concerned by the lack of parking sensors.

Thanks for this info.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭innrain

In the dark, open the door from the app. Not unlock but open or unlatch better said. The door opens few cm and car lights up helping you locate the edge of the door.

Turning circle is not great so parking with the front could be challenging in tight spaces but try rear parking. The cameras provide really good visibility of the surroundings. I've seen better overlays for the predictions and birdview is missing. The self park it is a joke. I put the car in position the only thing should do it is to push back. It manages to mess it up and aborts midway.

The car has its flaws but it is a great machine. I just drove for the last 10 days a rental Tiguan automatic whose price is around the same with the basic 3/Y but not at all in the same league. The config in the picture below for a similar Tiguan with the options to match somehow the basic Tesla with the heated seats, power mirrors and rear camera.

Advertisement