Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General British politics discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,580 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

It isn't this thread that is harping back, Brexit itself is built on the very notion that Britain must once again rule the world. That everyone needs them more than they the UK needs them, that UK rules and regulations are great and everyone else's is bloated and useless.

A very core of the Brexit thinking was that Ireland would leave the EU to join up with the UK, thereby getting rid of the NI issue. Brexit was never based on the SM and CU is a problem in and of itself. Their own union, the UK, is based on the notion of centralised and common rules and regulations. The issue was always that the UK felt it should be in charge, it should be making the decisions.

It is all based on a sense that the UK has lost its place in the world. Rather than being in charge, it is a member of a collective.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭FraserburghFreddie

No disrespect but you mentioned brexit numerous times here but this isn't the brexit thread.

Edit:I fully agree brexit is a complete failure.

Post edited by FraserburghFreddie on

I know that, but Brexit is the driving narrative of the UK the last 8 years or so and has had a massive impact of the general politics of the UK.

You cannot separate one from the other. Every decision is made with some context to Brexit.

Even the Australian and NZ trade deals were made on the basis of having to be seen to get a win, rather than if it was actually any good.

Truss was given the leadership because many felt she was more Brexity than Sunak. Johnson won the leadership, and the GE based entirely on his position on Brexit.

While all the problems that the UK are facing cannot be blamed on Brexit, in many cases Brexit has had a direct negative impact but also the politically many decisions are being made,or not made, with an eye on Brexit rather than what is best.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Hard to talk about British politics and not mention it.

It still impacts all their trade deals and even impacted the UK Covid response.

The 5 PMs in as many years are a result of Brexit.

Some Tories are I suppose trying to move on by now blaming everything of the culture wars and their new communist PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

That was not one of my better posts. My main point was the extent of the poor grasp of history, and how what grasp they do have is rose-tinted nationalism rather than being used to avoid future mistakes.

To be fair when I was living in Dublin (I'm originally British but lived in Ireland for nine years) it often transpired that I knew more about Irish history than most of the people I met over there.

• Advertisement

I'm very interested in Ireland being of Irish descent and wife being Irish but I'm embarrassed by the lack of Irish history in the British curriculum. Beyond skimming over Oliver Cromwell there was nothing in school.I've actually learned more about Irish history and politics through boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭PommieBast

I'd add to that the lack of Scottish history in the English curriculum.

Edit: And Welsh. The union wasn't formed over tea and scones on a happy Sunday afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't think it's possible to have a realistic discussion about contemporary UK politics that doesn't have Brexit front and centre - both because the currents and trends that made a mad idea like Brexit politically plausible have had other effects on UK politics, and because Brexit itself has had signficant impacts - destabilisation of the union with Scotland, undermining of the GFA, purge of the Tory party, "purity test" for ambitious politicians, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,420 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't know about India being a "proud member" of the Commonwealth. The UK colonial authorities made British India a Commonwealth member in 1945; it wasn't a choice made by the Indians themselves. It was expected that, with independence, India would leave the Commonwealth, and that had been Nehru's position for some time. In the event, he told the UK that India would remain provided the Commonwealth rules were restructured so that member states did not have to have the UK sovereign as head of state, but could be republics. The UK, after some havering, agreed to this, because they wanted continued access to India's military resources, and thought that shared Commonwealth membership might be a vehicle for this. India put the kibosh on that idea pretty early on, though.

For his part, Nehru overcame his earlier reservations about Commonwealth membership because he thought it might confer trading advantages, and he saw it as a way of maintaining and building up relationships not so much with the UK as with other former UK colonies, with whose experiences he thought India would have much in common. It never really did confer any trading advantages, and the Indians soon became relatively unbothered by Commonwealth membership - not opposed to it, not particularly valuing it.

India today still seeks to use Commonwealth structures to develop political links with other developing countries, and to pursue trading relationships with them. But it's a relatively minor strand of Indian foreign policy. In recent decades, as often as not, the Indian Prime Minister hasn't bothered to attend Commonwealth Heads of Government meetings. It's not that India is hostile to the Commonwealth; more that it's of limited value to them, and they have other priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Starmer taking the tough decisions. He's looking for celebrity endorsements. Jeremy Clarkson the tip of the iceberg for him.

https://www.thenational.scot/news/23211802.keir-starmer-wants-celebrities-endorse-labour/?ref=twtrec

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Advertisement

Labour trying to go for "Cool Britannia II"

Sad thing is it's the best way to get heard.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

• Registered Users Posts: 9,246 ✭✭✭tanko

Sunak asks homeless man “what are you doing this weekend?”. You couldn’t make it up. How dumb, stupid and out of touch is he. How could they allow this stuff to be broadcast. Are the Brits that thick that this scutter would make them think Sunak is doing a good job jo and gives a toss about people who have nothing.

I don't think very many are fooled by Sunak.

Some upper class PMs had the personality to fool people into thinking they care but Sunak so obviously doesn't have a clue how the other side live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Sunak says - 'I used to work in finance' - now he works in lack of finance!

Sunak I think is genuinely mystified…..he really truly does not know a world outside of his own. I don’t think he has the capacity to even begin to understand how what he said was inappropriate.

I never understand why any PR person advocates for something like this. At best, it will come across as a PR exercise and be scoffed at as the lame attempt to make Politican look good.

At best it slows everything down. In this case, the perfectly capable staff that normally do the work have to first explain to said politician what to do and then stand around wasting everyone's time while the politician does a few token tasks to make them look good. All the while costing taxpayers huge sums of money by having to have all the PR staff spend time setting it up, the photographer out to take the pics, the TV crews. Why not just save all that money and give it to the food service.

But it always run the risk, greater or lesser based on politician, to come off really bad. This is one of those cases. You could see he was struggling to get a conversation, but when the guy said he was homeless that was the chance to ask what he would like the government to do, how could he, Sunak, help that man. Instead, he fell back into talking about financial services and the work of government, like any of that is going to help that man over Christmas.

Post edited by Leroy42 on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If this was an isolated incident, I'd chalk it off as a gaff made in over-enthusiasm. But between this, his blather about "lower class" friends or that daft petrol station moment he's so detached from anything resembling ground level mundanity as to come off a parody.

Also, I think charisma and personality is overemphasized in modern politics but equally, you see its value with someone like Sunak who's so devoid of any. His diction and cadence is so contrived and forced, so unnatural. He exudes the energy of a man completely outside his sphere.

Huh. Never thought of that aspect all right. The kitchen grinding to a halt to indulge a politicians little photo opportunity. Must be very frustrating.

I wonder are there any stats or metrics to show these Stunts have any value - or if it's a cottage industry constantly existing in a state of self -perpetuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭Shelga

Seeing that Sunak clip described- “do you work in finance?” is enough, I can’t bring myself to watch it. He’s just awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I can’t fathom how anyone thought it was a good idea for him to go and do that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Suella to get even tougher on those pesky poor immigrants by increasing the minimum income threshold required for spouse visas...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Well the whole getting tough with striking workers routine isn't popular with the general public so back to the old favourite of getting tough on immigration.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I hope everyone had a nice break. I see that, for some reason Rishi Sunak went to a soup kitchen and asked a homeless person if they worked in finance. Another day on normal island I suppose...

There's a decent piece from the FT today:

https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ft.com%2Fcontent%2Fc361e372-769e-45cd-a063-f5c0a7767cf4

The article describes the retardation of the traditional electoral pattern where people lean right generally as they age and accumulate wealth. Millennials, though ageing are not accumulating wealth and are not moving rightwards as a result.

Please use the sharing tools found via the share button at the top or side of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.comT&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email licensing@ft.com to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.

https://www.ft.com/content/c361e372-769e-45cd-a063-f5c0a7767cf4

Similar patterns are evident in Britain, where millennials are more economically leftwing than Gen-Xers and boomers were at the same age, and Brexit has alienated a higher share of former Tory backers among this generation than any other. Even before Truss, two-thirds of millennials who had backed the Conservatives before the EU referendum were no longer planning to vote for the party again, and one in four said they now strongly disliked the Tories.

Basically, the party has not only refused to evolve with demographic change, it has knowingly put itself into a position where it can't by virtue of continually pandering to the elderly and ethnic nationalists.

The article concludes saying that younger people have no reason to become conservative voters. It highlights home ownership or lack thereof as the likely candidate. I'd have to agree with that, honestly. It baffles me that nobody in the Tory party sees this.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Millenials not having money is why the Tories aren't chasing their votes. What would they get in return? It's incredibly short-term but that's what this batch of Tories is all about. They are surely aware of how unpopular they are with younger voters and know they are facing a long spell on the sidelines so are doing their best to milk this stint for as much as they can.

Wasn't there something recently about an over-65s Oyster card being valid voter ID while a regular one wasn't or am I making that up?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

They don't have money because they're suffering the hangover of Thatcherism. More people used to rent in the public sector than private but that ended once she sold off so much of the UK's social housing stock and never replenished it.

No, the Oyster card thing was real despite resembling something from The Onion.

At the moment, the current rules lack coherence. Passports and driving licences can be used, alongside travel cards like Oyster cards for over 60s. Student Oyster cards, however, won’t count. Anyone without these forms of ID can acquire a free voting ID from their local authority. But every extra step of added bureaucracy is a barrier to voting.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

There's been interesting research showing many Leave voters were not working class at all, but well off old or ageing suburban types in the south of England (and these were definitely among the types who were voting for UKIP and who loved Farage's brand of racism / xenophobia).

I know many work colleagues who suprisingly voted for brexit and suspect the industrial scale gaslighting by the UK media,playing on people's fears,especially around immigration probably has a lot to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,483 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I've seen figures that suggest that the majority of Leave votes came from those middle class older people in the south living in comfortable suburbia and that it's actually a bit of a myth that it was working class people in the north that swung it. Much of the UKIP and Daily Telegraph stuff was pitched at these well off pensioners. They don't come out of this well at all - they voted to screw over their own adult children and grandchildren without a care in the world.

So are you suggesting that those who voted for brexit knowingly made things worse for their children and grandchildren,or were they victims of the gaslighting I mentioned earlier which I believe many across these threads generally agree happened?

• Advertisement

South of the country that seems to be true but not sure about northern English counties.

Rural/towns vs the major cities seems to be the real divide though.

Advertisement