Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General gaming discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

IK+. What a game. RIP.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Very clever coder as well. I remember how he got the physics of his 3D pool and snooker games so realistic when the machines they were on hadn't a hope of calculating it in real time. When you took your shot the cue moving animation would play and he used that to calculate the shot and play it back.

Really liked the mercury games, the first game was a highlight for the PSP launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I fired up Burnout Paradise for the first time in a long time yesterday.

"Take me down to the Paradise City,

Where the grass is green and the girls are pretty,

Oh won't you please take me home."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Played it for the first time not too long ago, absolute banger of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Burnout Paradise is great but in this post Forza Horizon age it’s hilarious how ruthless the game is in forcing you to make your own routes on the fly. The game goes so fast it’s extremely easy to miss a turn and then it’s pure stress as you fight against the odds to get back with the group or find an alternate route.

This isn’t a complaint though - I think it makes for pretty exciting, dynamic gameplay. Just bastard hard at times 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 18,126 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Burnout like Vice City is played for the memories and the epic music but for definite

Forza is numro Uno now, a beautiful seemless racing experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Burnout > Unbound > FH5

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

The races have always been the weakest bit of Burnout oddly. I'm working my way through Revenge on the 360 at the moment and will only go near races if they're the only thing stopping me from progressing — they're almost Mario Kart-esque in their unfairnness. Part of the charm, I suppose.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Playing the ps5 version of witcher 3, any excuse to replay that game as its one of my favorites but gwent is something I could never get into and now I'm absolutely hooked on it, it just clicked this time with me, always looking forward to the next match. Monster decks can be annoying as hell to get past though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,807 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Make sure you buy every gwent card you come across in shops to save you backtracking but I think there is a checklist now telling you how many gwent card can still be collected/bought in each region.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,274 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

I have a guide opened while playing it so I don't miss any 😂😄, have them all in velen now I think and white orchard, Novigrad next.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,267 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭Cordell

One would think that after Doom movie flop everyone will understand that if you're not into gaming and you don't love the game you're basing your film or series upon you have no business doing it at all.

Jesus Craig, you're smarter than that. I know they are full on promoting the show but what did he think was going to be the response to that. I see his twitter is now locked, what what we that because it this or had he done that before it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

I'm watching Murder She Wrote at the moment, where a virtual reality game is being made based on one of JB Fletchers books.

Murder She Wrote for Sony PSVR would be nice. You can then solve why people were killed to death in Cabot Cove.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,023 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Depends on if you can accuse Jessica.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Trying to understand what's making you angry about this. It's an absolutely non-story in my eyes. What's there to be so precious about?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,023 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Saying video games aren't accessible? Saying that the picture is fuzzy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Yeah, he's talking bollocks but it's not something that's going to upset me in a million years.

• Advertisement

Happy New Year lads! This time of year always makes me think back to my 13 year old self playing Tomb Raider 1 on the PS1 on my 14 inch monitor, good times.

There's rumours of a Horizon Zero Dawn remake...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,716 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Inside.

Late to the dance I know.

But that got very very weird towards the end.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Strange Horticulture turned out to my Christmas game this year, and it quickly shot up my list of 2022 favourites.

It’s a game where you’re tasked with running an occult plant shop. Customers call with specific requests and you’re tasked with identifying the specific plant they want using clues from an ever-growing tome. You get some kind of illustrated hint and some sort of anecdotal description of the plant itself or its effects. Then you go exploring (using one of gaming’s greatest maps) and uncover new plants, often using vague or mysterious clues delivered by post or by dreams.

The gameplay is kinda Papers, Please like in that you have a desk that quickly fills up with items you need to use just to get by. But there’s also a very strong detective/information game element, where you have to interpret what’s often a lot of information in order to find the right plant or place to explore. It’s delightfully tactile - as the game progresses you start using weird navigation devices, occult contraptions etc… to solve the game’s fantastic puzzles. And by default you have to label plants yourself, which is a delightful touch - especially as you’ll have collected many dozens of plants by game end.

Anyway, I can’t recommend it enough - up there with Norco, Neon White, Citizen Sleeper, Case of the Golden Idol etc… in what really was a banner year for cool little indie games. And I’ve only just stated Signalis, which is already another potential favourite due to its spectacular presentation alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I just looked it up. Is there any game world or do you just search on a map?

Just the map, but you get a lot of little visual novel type colour when you find the right spots on the map. One of my favourite parts of the game was scanning the map with various clues and trying to find the right place to go :)

I actually just saw that on an alternative goty thread on twitter. Looks interesting.

Speaking of, I doubt there will be a goty thread for boards this year? It dwindled the last couple of years with smaller and smaller numbers nominating games and with the new site merge, I'd say would only be worse. Pity though as I always got some good recommendations from games i either hadn't heard of or overlooked.

Not sure about a formal awards - that has always been Mr E’s baby, and understandable it may increasingly be more work for him than the level of participation warrants. But whether or not that happens, absolutely feel free to start a GOTY thread where people can chat about their favourites more casually :)

• Advertisement

It's elden Ring though. I'm sorry god of war fans but it's elden Ring

But yeah I'd be all for a thread especially for good indie nominations and best soundtrack. I really miss total biscuits goty noms but mostly the music ones as he made me take notice of some absolute bangers like Furi.

Advertisement