Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smart metre removal

Comments

PAYG has a huge standing charge, so whilst the unit rates may be the same or similar, it works out far more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,480 ✭✭✭✭elperello

No, they are two different things.

With smart meter you still get a bill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Yet I have a smart meter almost a year and still have someone coming to read the meter because the smart meter doesn't work as described.

And none of the things you listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

If you want to get rid of a smart meter you can phone ESB Network, they will confirm it is possible if your supplier puts in a request. Then phone your supplier and demand they put in that request.

If you want to get a smart meter down the line they will warn you it will cost €200.

I haven't tried this, but its what I found reading a the Irish EV Owners Association page. https://www.facebook.com/groups/IEVOA/permalink/3253308651577067

If you do not have a smart meter and don't feel like being punished for having the audacity of using electricity in the few evening hours you are at home and awake. You can contact ESB Networks with youre MRPN and opt out of having one installed. A quick google will show you this.

If you have one installed but are still on a 24 hour or day and night rate, do not switch to a smart tariff. And do not opt into any rubbish data analytics service they offer as that is a way for them to activate your smart meter too, you then can't avail of any offers other than smart plans going forward.

If you do not have to submit meter readings, then your meter has been activated even if you are on a 24h or D/N tariff

You haven't activated the meter. Don't do it unless you like spending more money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Sarn

Just a minor correction to User142’s comments above. Not having to submit readings does not mean your meter has been activated. We’ve had our smart meter for over two years, readings are automatically uploaded and we are still on the standard 24 hour rate (as confirmed again when we switched in June).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

There may be a potential issue if the smart meter can't communicate with the network. Initially it was thought that the meters were going to create a mesh (probably based on LoRA) and use that to send reading back to a local base-station, but I beleieve that it was canned and all meters are now using a 3G SIM. If you have poor reception in the area or your meter was on the side of the house with weak reception, then your meter may require manual reading. There was going to be an antenna added for more remote sites (I saw one once) but this may not be on offer just now.

Interesting, I must try switch again because that was what I was told in earlier in the year when I tried to switch a lower 24h tariff..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭mct1

I had an interesting chat with a installer who called to the door two weeks ago - nice guy. I said we hadn't decided yet, couldn't really see any advantage to ourselves of the smart meter. He mentioned smart plans so I said they didn't suit us. He said they didn't suit him either. Then he mentioned the inconvenience of having the meter reader calling, so I pointed out our meter was outside so she helped herself, never bothered us, and would be out of a job, he agreed with all that too.

He was quite clear that we could refuse or delay our decision for a good while and put us down as a don't know - we'll probably go for it though. One interesting thing he said was that if no-one had been home, they were authorised to replace the (external) meter anyway!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭Citizen  Six

Had mine installed a number of months ago. Last month they said I could access my usage data. But they now say they won't let me access the usage data unless I sign up for a smart tariff.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Think you have have to agree to the install and arrange a time

They won't call unannounced and switch off your electricity and change the meter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Regarding the meter reader being able to access the meter because it's outside, that doesn't mean they'll read it every 2 months, more like one or two times a year if you're lucky, so you'll still get estimated readings unless you submit your own.

When you say activated do you mean I haven't signed up to a smart plan?

Definitely a poor reception area. That said I got a partial two week period of data back in Feb/Mar.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Fairy godmother

The smart meter has been installed. ESB tell me there is no option to revert back to the analog meter as they do not have any available. My supplier directs me back to ESB, who repeat the same line every time I contact them. I am on 24 Hour, and do not intend to switch to anything else. I just want the meter removed though.

I don't want a D/N meter, just the analog meter. I was always on 24 Hour tariff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

You sure you are asking for the right thing?

I believe ESB would not install "analog" meters, what they might is digital.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I requested a smart meter then I cancelled, I was planning to install solar then I found prices gone up so much, Then I started looking at day/night tariffs for a smart meter, I found many companies are charging premium rate at 5 to 7 pm "EI has one without that but I don't know how long will it last", they can't charge premium rate at 5 to 7 pm with day/night meter

Companies are behaving as if they don't want you to install a smart meter

Sorry I posted the same before and I couldn't delete this one

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

They are not...unless you were previous oh advised they were calling

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭discostu1

The original CER/CRU document says initially Suppliers can offer 3 tariffs.Day, Night and Peak 5 to 7 pm as you say.The current pricing offers no incentive to embrace Smart tariffs and until the market hits maybe 70% installed can’t see that changing

• Advertisement

All I know is my energy bills are becoming very unaffordable. Smart meter or not, the unit rates are way too high at the moment and there's no prospect of them coming down. It will start having a significant impact on the economy the way things are going. I'm cutting back on spending because of energy bills.

Welcome to 2022. It probably won't get any cheaper in 2023. Nothing to do with smart meters however.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

The talk from the energy companies is 18 months of high prices as they’re stuck in gas contracts.

i see. ESB have advised “the older stock of meters are no longer available”. But surely that couldn’t be correct? I’m not sure where to go from here with ESB.

So I'm in a state where I have a smart meter installed almost a year now and my current contract is up next week.

I can't sign up to any smart plans as my smart meter doesn't have reception and the plans I've picked that are the least worst option for someone with a solar array and an EV are all unavailable. I can't sign up to any non smart plans as I have a smart meter.

Been on to support with ESB and EI (current provider) and Bord Gais, in the case of the providers they just offer up some significantly worse alternative to the smart plans I've selected. ESB will 'call me back' within two days.

And before anyone says you don't have to sign up to a smart plan just because you have a smart meter, please try it now before trotting out that line (I've not tried all providers admittedly).

My best option is to get a day/night meter installed if I'm one of the lucky ones that gets their smart meter removed.

I can't be the only person with no mobile reception in the country.

Not sure what the moral of the story is but I wish I never saw the bloody thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

You would expect that response .They would want nothing to do with smart meter removal

That would generally be seen as a backwards move

Fortunate for the ones who can hold out on current day/nite metering

They must have activated your meter despite not having reception. It’s possible they did it when trying to set you up on a smart plan.

Check your bill, if it says MCC01 you can still sign up to standard 24 hour plans even with a smart meter. If it’s a different code then it would appear they changed the functionality of your meter and you were switched over to smart plan only.

You might want to re-read the post you quoted.

I did read it. They should check their bill to see if the MCC has changed. If they were on a standard 24 hour plan and their bill no longer says MCC01 then the smart functionality of the meter would appear to have been activated (despite being unable to use it) and they’ll technically be stuck with smart plans.

Edit: I see that RaininSummer mentions in a previous post that they got two weeks of data earlier in the year. At the moment, you can only get detailed data if your smart meter has been activated (that is, locked into smart plans once your contract expires).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Next time you're onto ESB ask about getting an antenna fitted to the existing meter. I was in a house in Wicklow in 2012 during the trial period and I saw a trial meter with an small antenna fitted to the gable of the house as the 3G signal wasn't strong in that location. I'm not saying that they still do antennas for these non-trial boxes, but it would be worth asking all of the same.

Advertisement