Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

60% TAMS grant for women farmers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭I says

Interesting must look it up. I’m the skivvy around here 😂😂😂 .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

One way to get the oul gender balancing in farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There one for you my farm will qualify as well. Nothing like forward planning. Everything comes to he who waits

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have you a female with the green cert? Or alternatively years farmed qualified?

Alternative years farm qualified. Originally herd number was in spouse's name, partnership since I retired

She was job sharing when I bought the place twenty years ago. At the time there was off farm limits for grants. She qualified as a trained farmer as well as her father had a farm.

Never needed to use it as they removed the off farm income limits. If I was to get any value out of it now I would need more land

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

My wife has the green cert nearly finished. Had started a year before this was announced. Be forming a partnership as soon as and going at a badly needed shed with tank, feed passage and loose bedded area on the other side for cows on point of calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I know of someone in the country. A male who has now changed gender to female.

Can't be changed in my eyes. But their name has changed to female and dress has changed. Don't know about what else changed. It's their own business.

But I'd imagine if they were to apply they'd qualify for the grant.

A possible repercussion from this could be other minorities in the farming community should also be encouraged and rewarded similarly by the dept. All things being equal. Or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭Rusheseverywhere

Tempted myself to apply for gender recognition certificates as a female to get a grant.

2 minute job. Where all nonsense see in Britain nearly 70% of medical students, legal students etc are female; imagine similar here. So where does it stop? I bought land and anyone can do the same and all the land here bought by someone at one time or the other. Women might just be too intelligent to be at farming.

Seriously high figures there for medicine and law. I know some women enjoy farming but I’d say the dangerous element / unsociable hours might turn women off?

What percentage of oil rig workers are women? Got to be sub 1%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭amacca

Will they actually do anything for the old young forgotten farmers I wonder?

• Advertisement

There is something coming alright but you have to have completed the green cert in specific years to qualify according to a neighbour here. It affects him but not me so I wasn't really that tuned in when the conversation was going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Under 40 but not a young farmer cos at it more than 5 years.... fair enough encouraging women and all that but could just make existing rules someway fairer. Most of the grants only shoot up the price of everything by that amount anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭scottigael

Pure discrimination against men. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,787 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't think it should matter if you're a woman or not, how many years have women fought for equality and here they are giving women extra which means they are not equal. A farmer is a farmer in my eyes male or female. Don't get me started on the women in farming articles, should they all get a medal?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,636 ✭✭✭✭fits

What’s the years farmed eligibility?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Base price

While I agree with you there is an opportunity of a 60% grant for farmers that never had it before.

I put up the post to inform farmers male and female of this opportunity. As I said in my OP I have heard of a couple of younger male farmers (younger than me) that are going to enter partnerships with their spouses in order to avail of the grant. It's a work around solution but imo includes their wives in a more positive way in the business. Now having said that, imo most spouses wouldn't know the difference between a heifer and cow but maybe this initiative may help to redress that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

It’s not discrimination if it’s a minority that’s being targeted positively.

same with the grants that can be got for hiring females over males in engineering roles.

not the same for jobs where men are minorities though.

It's the same as any other system, such as young farmer, you put a saddle on it and ride on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

It's a good thing for those that benefit and I'm all for getting as much from the state as possible as I pay enough tax, but I doubt it will result in many spouses becoming more engaged.

Those in good relationships with an interest will already be engaged.

Those with no interest or a poorer spouse who doesn't discuss the business with their wife are unlikely to become engaged.

It may help get fathers to engage interested daughters more but again if it didn't happen before an extra bit on a TAMS grant is unlikely to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

can see a few Kerry lads suddenly identifying as females in order to qualify for this ( all you need is a card )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,075 ✭✭✭alps

But they wouldn't have the "years elegigibility"..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Can you imagine the media headlines

“ department of agriculture bigoted against LGBTQ” , some fella will apply for the laugh ( and should)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I think it’s a good thing tbh. what’s the harm in promoting women in farming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,130 ✭✭✭endainoz

Jesus the negative comments here are ridiculous, of course more women should be involved in farming. There is a shockingly low amount of farmers under 35 in Ireland and we obviously need more involved regardless of gender.

There was a young farmers too up which many of us availed of who were under 35 at the time, is that scheme agist against older people who can't join it? Of course not, it's high time for this boys club sh1te to end or there will be none of us left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,116 ✭✭✭893bet

60 percent is a great grant. I don’t think it will “attract” any additional female farmers other than “brass plate” ones. Everyone qualifies for 40 percent. The jump to 60 ain’t gonna get them to quit their jobs and start milking cows.

Off topic but if you were applying for a Tams grant on a piece of machinery how do you go about it.

Example being a mower or dingy spreader (allowable under organics).

Do you need to price it first and have a quotation or what?

Does the seller have to be on an official list?

When I click onto Tams on agfood online it wont allow me start an application for any of the tams. Have you to ring them for activation first?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

Tranche not open, new scheme not launched yet. Not open for applications. No need for quotation, just look up reference costs and know size in meters, can't just buy something off Johnny down the road, any established business would be fine.

Ah. Kinda thought to was always open as such.

So for the application i need to have decided the size of the mower. Makes sense I suppose so they can budget.

For equipment is there any documents that need to be uploaded as part of application do you know that need to be organised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭timple23

You just need to make sure you apply under the organic scheme. Know what size mower. Make sure you use the correct reference cost. Upload the safety training course, maybe upload your organice cert/licence too, not cetain on that though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

The machinery merchant will have a form to fill out for you. You will also have to provide a tax clearance cert for tams.

Advertisement