Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Undertaking by default

• 26-12-2022 11:32am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭

This is a scenario that comes up quite a lot when driving on motorways.

Lets say I'm driving in left-most lane (as everyone should unless overtaking), and up ahead there's a car cruising along at a lower speed in the middle lane but not overtaking anyone.

Am I entitled to continue in the left lane and undertake?

If not, I'd have to move to middle lane, then right lane, then back to middle lane and back to left lane when the car has been overtaken.

What if the other car was in the right lane? Would I (and everyone else who comes up behind us) have to just follow them in the right lane indefinitely until they moved into the middle lane?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That is my understanding although it is fuzzy as you are allowed undertake in the event traffic in the lane to the right of you is moving slower than the traffic in your lane.

This exact situation happened me on the way home last (as it does regularly) and I just kept in my lane and undertook. I am more hyper aware as I do it in case the car suddenly decides to move into the lane he should have been in the first place.

I would be interested in hearing from other posters

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭steinbock123

I do this all the time. Too many idiots tootling along in the fast lane 20 or 30 KPH under the speed limit. They never look in the mirror. Worst case scenario is one articulated truck doing 81KPH overtaking another one doing 80KPH, this manoeuvre can seem to take miles to complete, meanwhile there’s a queue of cars building up behind. Why can’t the truck being overtaken just lift off for ten seconds and let the other one pass him quickly.

I am very conscious on all sorts of roads what is in the rear view mirror, if I’m on a B-road and a car comes up behind me obviously going faster, I’ll pull in and let him pass at the first available opportunity.

And while I’m on a rant here, I have to wonder why it is that in this country we call them motorways? A proper motorway will have at least three lanes. Very few of them here in Ireland. The majority of our so-called “ motorways” are merely good dual carriageways.

Happy New Year, this hangover will pass 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Grandad99

My understanding is you can only undertake in the limited circumstances listed in the rules of the road where it says;

''REMEMBER You must normally overtake on the right. However, you are allowed to overtake on the left in the situations listed below. You may overtake on the left when You want to go straight ahead. when the driver in front of you has moved out and signalled that they intend to turn right. You have signalled that you intend to turn left. Traffic in both lanes is moving slowly but traffic in the left-hand lane is moving more quickly than the right-hand lane – for example, in slowmoving stop-start traffic.''

A car doing 80kmh in the middle or outer lane in a 100kmh zone is not slow moving stop-start traffic.

Motorway rules say;

''Overtaking: Overtake only on the right, unless traffic is travelling in slow moving queues and the traffic queue on your right is travelling more slowly than you are.''

Again a car doing 80 kmh in the middle or outer lane in a 100 kmh zone could not reasonably be considered as a slow moving queue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

"Motorways have 3 lanes" sounds like a made up requirement.

Everywhere you look for a definition of a motorway it either doesn't mention lanes, or specifies 2 or more lanes.

Yeah, usual boards.ie made up shite posted as fact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

On either side of rush hour it regularly happens that all the lanes on a motorway are full of traffic travelling at 80km/h or more. If people followed the law then every lane can only travel at the speed of the overtaking lane, this is obviously stupid and impossible to do. Our law on passing on the left is a joke since the keep left law is ignored.

Recently I was joining a dual carriageway and a car in the driving lane wasn't letting me merge, which they don't need to do, so I braked and joined behind them at ~10km/h below the limit. They then signalled to the right and moved to an empty overtaking lane as I kept driving ~5km/h below the limit in the empty driving lane, they disappeared from my mirror driving in an empty overtaking lane and no vehicles were in the driving lane. According to the law I'm the dangerous driver!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

This has to be one of the most annoying traits of a majority of Irish drivers. Merge to a three lane motorway or national rod and then straight into the middle if not the right lane.

More often than not I find the left lane the quicker and least stressful to drive in. I also ignore the idiots that choose not to use the left lane and carry on as if they aren't there but obviously aware said idiot might remember the rotr suddenly and swerve into the left lane. I'm sure it's not law but I'd consider undertaking to be moving from your lane to a left lane then back into the lane you were in in front o the car you passed. I'll typically drive in the left lane till I need to pass then use the right lanes as required and back to the left lane.

As I heard someone refer to them before the capable drivers lane, the social media lane and the road rage lane. 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

When can you overtake on the left?

a. When the driver in front of you is turning right.

b. When you intend turning left.

c. When the vehicles in the lane to your right are moving more slowly than you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

The rules on overtaking on the right are clear enough.

Personally though, if I'm in the OP's situation - I will continue in the lane I'm in, and be mindful of any potential sudden activity of the driver in the middle lane.

I'm not making four lane changes to negotiate a car that isn't following typical motorway behaviour. I think that stands to open up more potential risks.

It may not fall within the exact rules of the road regarding overtaking, but I believe in this circumstance, it's the safest way to progress my trip.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

@steinbock123: Too many idiots tootling along in the fast lane 20 or 30 KPH under the speed limit.

Sigh! 😟

@wrangler: c. When the vehicles in the lane to your right are moving more slowly than you

The law does not state that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Motorway driving can be boring, if its quiet. If I'm in Lane 1 doing the speed limit and I encounter a car in Lane 2, doing say 100, I make a point of making the two manoeuvres into Lane 2, then 3, then overtaking, and returning to Lane 1 and I make bloody sure the other driver sees it.

If the motorway is busier, I have no problem undertaking in the primary lane if it happens under reasonable progress. You will NEVER be pulled up for that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Relax. I said it was my understanding and would like to hear from others.

Chill out and comment.

Your last para has me confused though. If someone was overtaking a lorry how would someone undertake without driving through the lorry? If you are mid overtake of a lorry and have a blow out the chances are that you will need to let the lorry move on before trying to get to the hard shoulder.

Either way in the instance I described there was no lorry. There were 2 cars mine and the guy in the middle lane going at 90 on the M50.

Incidentally he had passed me at 120 a few mins before that.

Passing on the left is allowed in the rules of the road. providing it's safe to do so,

but even if you're passing on the right there's idiots that don't use mirrors or indicators and cut you off

I doubt if a guard is going to summons you for passing on the left with it being allowed in the rules of the road.

Passing on the left is allowed in the rules of the road. providing it's safe to do so,

The ROTR is not a legal document.

Would you like to pull out the actual legislation on this?

Edit: actually here it is...

Section 10 (5)

(5) A driver may only overtake on the left—

( a ) where the driver of the vehicle about to be overtaken has signalled an intention to turn to the right and the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to go straight ahead or to turn to the left,

( b ) where the driver of the overtaking vehicle intends, after overtaking, to turn left at the next road junction and has signalled this intention,

( c ) in slow moving traffic, when vehicles in the traffic lane on the driver's right are moving more slowly than the overtaking vehicle.

but even if you're passing on the right there's idiots that don't use mirrors or indicators and cut you off

...and what? It's irrelevant to the discussion about passing on the left.

I doubt if a guard is going to summons you for passing on the left with it being allowed in the rules of the road.

When it comes to the Road Traffic Acts, there is a huge amount that the gardai choose not to enforce. It is partly why there is so much crap driving evident on our roads.

In special circumstances, passing on he left is not illegal. use your common sense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I always go across to the third lane, overtake and back into the first again. If there's only 2 lanes. I keep back in the first lane.

Overtaking on the right just creates too much risk. Call it "common sense" if you want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I try to do the right thing. I used to flash cars in the overtaking lane when they were clearly not overtaking and there was another lane they could safely move into but I found over the years this is more dangerous as often they ignore me, then if I undertake them they might by accident or deliberately change into the "slow lane" and block me or nearly crash into me. I found it is safer to ignore them and undertake with caution.

It may be illegal and it's not done or normal in UK. In European countries especially Italy sitting in overtaking lane is not at all tolerated. They start flashing from hundreds of metres away.

I once flashed the hell out of a car in overtaking lane with nothing in slow lane and it turned out to be unmarked Garda car. They put on their lights, then did not stop me, they just wanted to show they could do what they like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

If someone is driving at 80kph in the middle lane when the speed limit is 100kph, by definition, aren't they slow moving traffic?

What I think isn't important. It might be a judge that you have to convince!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

There’s a difference between slow and slower. What if someone is driving at 120 in the middle lane and I want to undertake at 180, are they slow traffic too?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Slow traffic 80kph in the middle lane is more likely to get a "driving without due care" warning/prosecution driving at 180kph is more likely to get you a speeding/dangerous driving charge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Exactly my point.

The problem is that there are two types of Irish drivers who are the root of the issue.

The first group think they can hog the middle lane at 80kph in a 100kph zone. The second group think that they can travel at 150kph no matter the speed limit. Eliminate both and we would have sensible driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Wouldn't sensible driving dictate that almost everyone drive in the leftmost driving lane at more or less the speed limit?

So, in this"ideal world", we'd have a road-train of vehicles doing the limit in the left lane, with any overtaking lanes empty?

Does anyone actually want that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

You're supposed to overtake on the right....

Keep Left, Pass Right as it was in the old days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 761 ✭✭✭GSBellew

As a side note to my above comment, where I assume the poster was confused with left and right.

I keep left with the intention of passing on the right, but if I am sitting at 120 kmph in the left lane and closing on a slower moving vehicle in the right hand lane (2 lane motorway) while my lane is clear I will remain in my lane, but remain wary of the other driver merging left. I used to enter the right lane and sit behind, but it never dawns on the driver.

If I am on the M50 and there is a slower moving vehicle in the middle lane, when it is clear to do so I will go to the third lane, far right, pass and move far left in front of them, more often that not they seem to follow suit into the far left lane if you watch your mirrors.

Yes, passing on the left is wrong (excluding limited scenarios) but so is being in the wrong lane, so if you are one of the drivers who gets thick when someone passes on your left, remember that if you were in the correct lane they couldn't pass on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Everyone sitting slowly in the left lane so the VIPs among us can use lane 2 and 3 at the speed limit at all times no matter the traffic volumes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

This one comes up regularly in Motors with the same argument about slow/slower too.

To me it's very simple - you overtake on the right unless you're in SLOW stop-start/congested traffic where you can pass on the left. This is not the same thing as passing a car doing 80, or 100 in the middle lane of a 120 limit motorway.

I don't get why this is so difficult to grasp?

The main advocates seem to be those who think they're being "clever" undertaking all the "eejits" in the middle or right lanes. This is grand until one of those pulls left on top of them without looking because they weren't expecting to be undertaken from the left (two wrongs don't make a right)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭highdef

Hearses are the closest things to undertakers on the roads!

You overtake, whether it be on the left or the right. I cannot understand how people associate "undertaking" with overtaking on the left when overtake means to pass someone ahead of you moving in the same direction. Whether you pass on the left or the right, you're still overtaking and NEVER undertaking. "Undertake" in the driving sense is completely non-sensical.

When I saw "Undertaking by default" as a the title topic, I really did think the OP had accidently posted in the incorrect section!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A two lane Motorway and a two lane dual carriageway are completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Same dawdling eejit is probably just as likely to pull right without looking if they happily pull left without looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

The M1 is appalling for this.

A row of cars sitting in the overtaking lane while the left lane is empty.

I regularly "undertake" 6/8/10 cars then indicate right into the overtaking lane.

You look in your mirror and not one of the idiots has moved into the left lane.

I think the most I ever passed (undertook) was 16 cars!

I'll probably get criticism but I'm not boasting, it happens on a daily basis and its infuriating.

What you also have to realise is some of those drivers wouldn't move into the left lane even if an emergency vehicle with blue flashing lights was behind them!

The mornings are a joke too with the concertina of brake lights all down the motorway.

Really looking forward to going back to work tomorrow 😆

Post edited by furiousox on

CPL 593H

There is no slow lane on a motorway! This perception is IMO part of the issue!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,015 ✭✭✭furiousox

Ok, I've edited my post.

The issue remains.

Rows of cars sitting in the overtaking lane while the left lane is empty.

CPL 593H

I never overtake on the left on a motorway. If I'm driving along at the limit (which I always am if conditions allow as I don't like to dawdle) and I come up alongside a slower driver in the overtaking lane, I'll show down, indicate right and pull into the overtaking lane behind the slow vehicle. I'll then indicate right again whilst in the overtaking lane, leave it on, wait several seconds for a reaction to my signal of intent. If no reaction, I'll give two short flashes of the full beams to try alert the driver that I'm behind them and indicating to the right, showing my intent that I wish to pass. If this fails, a few more flashes, all the while indicating right.

Still no luck, I'll sound the horn, both to try garner attention but also to alert the driver of the hazard behind them which they seem to be unaware of. If they've not been perceptive of my indicating and flashing behind in an effort to get their attention, the use of the horn is more than warranted as I'd consider it necessary to try notify the driver that there's a vehicle/hazard behind them.

If still no reaction, I'll pull back into the driving lane and remain at the same speed as the overtaking lane driver however I'll be slightly behind them, in case they eventually figure out that they're in the incorrect lane and wish to pull back into the driving lane.

At no point will I tailgate (2 second/4 second rule always applies when I drive). I don't get wound up about it either. If I can't pass after my several steps, I won't pass. I'll still live to see another day.

PS, I work in engineering, I'm not an undertaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Gardaí pulling people over for "making progress".

• Advertisement

Good to see but I would've thought that they would have used the correct terminology of "overtaking on the left" as undertaking has absolutely feck all to do what is being reported in the Twitter post.

Advertisement