Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Harry Dunn death

Options
1235»

Comments

“And the fact she was there three weeks is ample time to familiarise yourself with the side of the road to drive on.”

What PhD have you done to back this up? Are you saying she killed him deliberately? Do you not accept it was an accident ? If you do your claim is moot. If you don’t think it was an accident elaborate.

Re her leaving the scene, that would be diabolical. That I imagine is the criminal element of the case… ‘leaving the scene of an accident.’ The question then is how often this involves a custodial sentence. I don’t know, but I doubt it was a 100% custodial rate before her case.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

What? You are asking if I have a PhD? Seriously?

Like many people I have driven abroad, while it is odd the first time you do it, it doesn’t take most of us long to acclimatise to driving on the other side. Do I, or anyone else need a PhD to back that up? No, I suspect the fact we don’t all crash should be enough.

Of course I accept it was an an accident, but she is culpable, that does not mean she did it deliberately, her negligence caused it, and the Courts convicted her.

So you now accept she did leave the scene, after I quoted her representative, who acknowledged she left him on the road and drove away to the base to make a call, even though she had a mobile phone. And it’s a Civil case in the US, not criminal, she has already been sentenced to 8 months in prison, suspended in the UK. As for the rate of custodial sentences, I’ll leave that for you to look up mastermind.

It doesn’t take long to look this stuff about the case up you know.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Registered Users Posts: 35,072 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Shitposting over a young man's death is a new low for CA/IMHO

© 1982 Sinclair Research Ltd

“So you now accept she did leave the scene”

Calm down dear. Accept? it’s not for me to accept or otherwise. What’s your actual point here? She made a mistake by driving on the wrong side (your anecdote about your own experiences are irrelevant). But, you agree it was an accident.

So, again… what’s your point. If you think it should be a custodial sentence back it up with why that is the case. Or, take a lead from the unfortunate’s family, and consider justice done.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Look, you got rinsed, you asked me if I had mixed his case up with another when I said she left him on the road dying, I didn’t, her own representative confirmed she drove away to the base and rang the police from there, even though she had a phone.

Now you want me to tell you why I think she should have hit a custodial sentence? Because the law allows for it.

”The maximum prison sentence the court can impose for causing death by dangerous driving or careless driving under the influence of drink or drugs is 14 years; for causing death by careless or inconsiderate driving it is five years; “

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/FINAL-Death-by-driving-sentencing-leaflet-for-web1.pdf

She may have been convicted, but I suspect the family would have preferred Secoolas to stand in a British Court room, and for the sentence to be harsher, but they have accepted the judgment. The Civil Case however, continues, so obviously they still feel justice is not yet done.

Post edited by Dav010 on

• Advertisement

I got rinsed? Is your purpose here to score points? I said the police said she assisted them at the scene of the accident- are you refuting that?

Just because the law allows something doesn’t mean it gets applied - that’s basic. I refer you to the word ‘can’. Why in your learned opinion do you think she deserves a custodial sentence, in line with general sentencing? If you cannot answer that you’re moaning over something you know nothing about. Nothing criminal about that, but own it.

As for civil cases… they are what they are. If they receive redress good for them.

Advertisement