Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

Dont wear mask to the pub, but do wear on public transport, taxis,planes,shops, work. Not bothered if others wear masks or not but hate when they close windows on thebus and we're all well wrapped up like eskimos. C19, RSV and influenza all linger in public transport in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,367 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

It is not a few thousand people speaking for the country and to suggest that it is just demonstrates you don't understand how polls work.

It is entirely reasonable and accepted tool to use such random sampling polls, within the margin of error, as an indicative of public opinion.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So they didn't think it should have been left to personal burden - which is what certain posters here are continually arguing. I don't know what point you are trying to make, but when only 1 in 5 opt for personal burden it does not tally with that position put forward on this thread at all. It shows clear public support for masks as a measure to slow the spread of the virus when deemed necessary by the authorities.

Poll after poll showed support for the restrictions, of which masks are one measure.

Here's another one:

Some 51 per cent of the population think the Government response to the pandemic is appropriate and 35 per cent say it is insufficient, while the proportion who say it is too extreme fell from 21 per cent to 14 per cent in a week.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/poll-shows-public-divided-down-the-middle-on-additional-restrictions-1.4755484

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Load of waffle. Go into a shopping centre, count the % wearing masks and you have your answer.

Surveys are rubbish, people tend to agree with the morally correct answer, then do nothing.

It's the same with climate change surveys, people agree about wanting to reduce their emissions, then do nothing.

The redc poll showed support for masks in summer 2022...

I wonder why they don't just wear them? It's not against the law.

• Advertisement

Mentioned on the other thread but hospital number and ICU both significantly dropped today and I think that's the final nail for masks.

Those trying to drum up the hysteria are failing. Numbers simply don't justify it.

Yeah it's amazing how people say the "right" thing in these surveys then in reality do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I prefare to wear mine if getting out of car to do shopping and have hand sanitiser to use in door panel. My immune system is crap so trying to stay safe and all those people dying of bugs and flu like symptoms has hit them all hard.

2 things i use for added protection VICKS FIRST DEFENCE nasal spray in stopping colds symtoms when first signs of sore threat starts.

No colds for 3 years.

BRONCO STOP pastilles for all bad coughs

Post edited by greasepalm on

• Registered Users Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

The people who do online polls are elderly people and not the younger generation.

That demographic are more likely to be at risk from covid or have elderly parents who are at risk.

Then you take into account polls can have questions framed for a preferred result.

Then you take into account these polls are results from a few thousand people and do not represent the views of the majority of the country like the poster suggested.

Remember when Hillary Clinton was a shoe in for president on polling results?

I was responding to a poster who claimed these polls showed the majority of the country were in favor of masks which is lie.

You are fond of calling people out for spreading misinformation and lies but seem happy to partake in it yourself when it suits.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Galwayguy35 thredbanned

• Advertisement

How far wrong were the poll results versus her vote share? You are talking about being wrong by 1-5% percentage points there.

The margin in favour of mask mandates and the government's approach dwarfs this.

And we're not just talking just about online polls, the results are broadly the same whether they are online surveys or random sampling polls.

So I entirely reject the accusation of lies and misinformation being spread - when with every post you just demonstrate your ignorance of how polling works.

The majority of the country supported mask mandates.

Post edited by odyssey06 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

We know the majority supported mask mandates in the polls, the data proves that. However, the data also proves the majority will not wear masks unless mandated. They can both be true as they are different things. The important point is that without mandates the majority will not wear masks.

Yes that's it, but some posters on the thread seem incapable of distinguishing between the two concepts and reject the poll data.

Very few people wore masks before the mandate.

The majority of the country binned them the day the mandate ended.

Those are facts.

Your last sentence is an opinion and not a fact.

So talk me through the accuracy of the poll below in July.

51% of the COUNTRY want face masks in airports, I have been in the airport 6 times in the past year and I seen a handful of masks.

If we believe your polls 51% of the people would be wearing masks, it was 1% and I am probably being generous.

40% of COUNTRY want face masks in shops, I was in town last week and I saw 7 or 8 people out of a few hundred wearing masks.

If we believe your polls I should have seen over 100 people with masks, i haven't seen 100 people in the last year wearing masks in shops.

Please feel free to post your personal experience that backs up the figures from the poll.

Anyone else feel free to confirm that poll lines up with real life.

https://www.thejournal.ie/face-masks-mandatory-red-c-poll-covid-5817150-Jul2022/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

Those trying to drum up the hysteria are failing. Numbers simply don't justify it.

Who is trying to drum up hysteria here?

Again your post is clear example of what is being done across these threads. Those "hysteria" rhetorics are just copy and paste bull .. Still not tired to post it over and over?

You should try to do some reading.

INMO were saying yesterday that hospitals are stretched to their limits. Obviously not because of COVID based on the numbers.

NBRU were calling for mask mandates. CMO and HSE were mentioning masks again.

This is with less than 30 in ICU.

Well, thanks for advice. But what does it have to do with my post? Maybe you should go by your own advice?

You asked about who is drumming up hysteria... I literally just told you...

Not sure what's so difficult to follow?

You asked about who is drumming up hysteria... I literally just told you...

Nope you didn't.

Eh no, I don't have to talk you through the poll. The poll has been cited on the thread. Not my problem if you're unable or unwilling to understand it. Not just that poll, but other polls showing broad and consistent support for the government's general approach to covid.

Just as you have shown you don't understand polls, you fail to see the hypocrisy and desperation of trying to substitute the result of multiple polls of thousands with the personal experience of "anyone" on this thread.

Fact - Multiple polls shown support for the government's approach to Covid, including mask mandates. Therefore, it is entirely reasonable for me to state that "The majority of the country supported mask mandates."

• Advertisement

More jibberish.

In the real world the vast majority of people only wore a mask because they were forced to.

It's easy say the "right" thing in a poll then do nothing.

"Do as I say not as I do" and all that.

Like when Haughey told us tighten our belts.

But you keep being guided by opinion polls or surveys if that's your thing.

Out of 168 polls on Brexit, only 55 showed leave. They voted to leave. 113 incorrect polls.

In the US, Hillary Clinton was way ahead in the polls and while she got the popular vote, Trump won and the polls should have saw it coming. He was also a lot closer to Biden than the polls showed.

In Ireland in Jan 2020, Sinn Fein were way behind FF/FG in the polls. Of course, they'd probably be in government right now had they ran more candidates.

Also in Ireland, same sex marriage was showing as way ahead in the polls and it ended up much closer than the polls predicted.

Also in Ireland, we have polls showing support for mask mandates in 2022 when it was fully legal to wear one... Very few did.

These polls are in no way reliable. In fact, they frequently seem to show what the government/media would like to see and usually what the unpopular option is is actually stronger than suggested.

Utterly disingenuous.

The polls were out by a few percentage points. Obviously that matters in a close result. And where the outcome is eg a collection of local constituency results.

But the polls showing support for masks and the governments approach to covid shows clear daylight, well beyond the margin of error or effect of aggregated local results.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I only wear my mask when driving in the car on my own.

I did my own poll in summer 22, I went to a shopping centre on public transport and about 1% if even were wearing masks.

It's easy tell a poll you will follow certain actions, but most people don't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭BagofWeed

They'll be a cohort of hanger-on's, stragglers and do-gooders itching for the glory days to be back, the excitement of lockdown and the 2Km restrictions and the curtain twitching on their neighbours and high horsing towards the unvaccinated. They were the best days of some of their life's.

Saying that I still think it would be wise to wear a mask on crowded buses/trains etc, that flu people have being describing online doesn't sound too pleasant, sounds downright nasty.

I am willing to learn and understand polls.

The only fact is that poll shows what nonsense all those polls were in the past.

I can confidently say that poll is nonsense and in no way reflective of real life.

You explain to me the accuracy of the results of that poll and I will be happy to learn.

You are free to believe what you want but i prefer to stick to facts which is people binned the masks the minute they weren't forced to wear them.

And remember Tony Holohan had a meltdown over the crowds on South great George's street. This went for weeks all over the country, open rebellion against the bullsh1t, again opinion polls showing one thing and people behaving differently.

• Advertisement

Advertisement