Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A global recession is on the horizon - please read OP for mod warning

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭brickster69

US oil company starts legal proceedings over windfall taxes.

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

“The earth is littered with the ruins of empires that believed they were eternal.”

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

So the basis of their claim is that it will hinder investment. Seems bit of a weak argument. What's next suing that the minimum corporation tax will hinder investment?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,279 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CQD threadbanned

• Registered Users Posts: 4,904 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Agree with main point of post (that country is not doing too bad overall despite the problems) and am probably being pedantic responding (!) but...have to disagree with some of it as regards the corporation tax and Intel...

Ireland did not "give away" the 12.5 %. It was over. The only EU country that has carried on opposing the OECD corporation tax changes is basically a (edit semi/quasi) dictatorship run by a little Putin mini-me that does Russia's bidding as a gremlin and spoiler inside the EU. I don't think keeping them company by fighting to the death for the 12.5 % was really a good idea for Ireland.

I don't believe there was any chance of that Intel plant being built here even if every Irish worker was a genius that did 90 hrs work a week for birdseed (+ we also had the bestest infrastruture, and the 12.5 % rate etc). It is a big geopolitics thing, a strategic investment for the entire continent. The EU is trying to ensure that it is less exposed to dependencies on others (Asia, US) as regards their IC/semiconductor manufacturing needs because this it is so key to everything else now.

They want new infrastructure related to this built in the EU, and the logical place (when the motivations go beyond making most profit) is near the industrial core where these chips will be used. There's already huge Intel plants here that are not going anywhere, there is no way even more eggs were going to be put in same basket in Ireland by building all this new stuff here as well. It is off the coast of the "mainland", quite a distance from where the ICs/memory etc will mostly be used + requiring inputs and outputs to go by sea, leaving supply chains open to disruption.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

Two observations

1) There is no visible recession.

Was in the crescent shopping centre in Limerick today.

Around lunch time there were ques out the doors at every eatery. Franklins, kfc, Eddie rockets (or what ever it’s called now), quigleys, o briens, Costa, and Milano.

2) A recession is needed almost.

I don’t go out to often. Work a lot and have a toddler who makes eating out….a challenge!

We finally got a table in O briens.

2 large coffees (and they were big).

A caeseur salad wrap (miserable looking) with a total of 4 broken crisps on the side)

Ham cheese toasty. Nothing on the side.

A cup of soup (a small cup)

2 small cakes

bottle of coke.

Pennies change from 40 quid and I was starving after it.

They can keep it next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭amacca

Money has been completely devalued when it comes to eating out/hospitality.

I reckon your 40 above only has the purchasing power 15 to 20 used to have a decade or two ago.

And I'm afraid it will get worse or there will be a huge collapse such is the rate they've been "printing" it with f all underlying assets to back it in that decade or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

I'd love to share your enthusiasm, I really really turely believe most discretionary SME industry in Ireland will be taking serious hits in 2023. I believe the global multinationals will be taking a hit from the global recession we will enter in 2023, this will cause a hit to Ireland GDP too. All these people buying new cars and Teslas most probally on PCP, we will see what happens when the balloon payment calls in 3 years down the road.

Time will only tell how this whole situation will pan out, but as it stands right now there is way more downside than upside for the immediate future, only a fool would think otherwise.

Don't get hung up on what everyone else is doing, and on the gyms, most gyms only make their money this time of the year with membership for 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭893bet

The pcp bubble has been bursting for years at this rate. If they can’t make the ballon payment the car goes back and the debt is paid.

What's the market value (book stock) for all these diesel cars in VW Bank when compared to their street value (real value) as diesel cars will be worthless in the next few years.

Net asset value on VW banks balance sheet is going to take a fair hit one would imagine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Title of this thread.

A global recession is on the horizon

Not

An Irish recession is on the horizon

When governments have been solving all problems with printed cash the worse thing that could happen was inflation. Lets face it what did all this money get spent ? Trillions of Euro, USD, GBP, Yen and God know what else gone.

Where are the airports, hospitals, ports, bridges, railways etc. All that is left is a gigantic pile of debt.

When governments start to talk about trillions like billions there is a problem, imagine the interest on it every year.

- Camille Paglia

Nearly all motor companies are not even making diesel cars anymore, it's either petrol hybrid, plug in hybrid or EV, some cities won't even let diesel cars be driven round them.

Down the line it will be even worse, how does VW Bank phase out or write off the book stock of billions of diesel cars that they have ear marked a predicted market value with every PCP given out.

Look I hope your right, but I see this as a super credit cycle that has too bust and the longer rates stay elevated or go higher the higher the probability of this happening.

Us stock markets, S&P and tech heavey Nasdaq are in a bear market down 20% and over 30% respectively. That's only driven by interest rates hikes, when their earning start taking a hit come Q1,Q2 2023, we will see them finally price from a earnings recession and things will plunge alot deeper into the red. Especially in the likes of Tech companies that are already down over 70%, they will chop jobs (white collar) left right and centre inorder to passify shareholder's. That's the name of the game.

Big high wage paying tech, SME sector, and tourism sector in Ireland will probally be the worst affected.

Giant the world's largest bicycle manufacturer has had to temporarily suspend payments to its suppliers for 45 days. Looks like the boom time the fitness and sports industry was enjoying due to the pandemic is over and now companies are overstocked with goods and saddled with debt they took on to expand due to the pandemic induced demand.

I guess it's good news if you want to buy a bike as there could be good discounts next year as companies try and clear their excess inventory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

They will do well in the future if they last till petrol and diesel cars get banned, they will be selling billions of them maybe trillions.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Prediction for 2023

more of the same as this year

but think hospitality & tourism could be in big trouble, expect to see some closures in my local town unfortunately.

I'll go for a debt / banking crisis which unfortunately will affect everything again. Hopefully WW3 does not come into play for health reasons.

- Camille Paglia

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Disappointed all the predictions of global collapse and doom and mass global hunger didn't materialise this year, but hey there's always 2023

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Rose bikes in Germany are in a worse spot. The Chinese company that had been supplying them with parts has disappeared into a void of thin air and left the company with a mass supply of bike frames they can not assemble. I think China is well are truly up the creek regardless of what their PR departments keep saying. Thousands of factories over there [China] could be closed never to reopen! Bike parts in general are in very short supply everywhere.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,919 ✭✭✭enricoh

Ah come on, most people are more interested in what's happening locally here in Ireland than worldwide.

Talking to a lad working in Intel who had to take 2 weeks off over Christmas as they closed some part of production. First time ever they have done it as it costs a fortune to shutter it. Not a great sign according to yer man.

I know the queues for crispy creme are probably around the block with people paying e30 for a dozen donuts - but it's the health of the multinationals that are more important!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

Payment in 45 days would be considered quick in Ireland unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 29,404 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

unfortunately wide scale central bank refusal to accept reality, is making this a very strong possibility, hopefully it doesnt happen though....

• Registered Users Posts: 34,870 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,977 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Well I have a lot more faith in most central banks than I do in internet doom merchants, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

Deceleration increasing in the US

US Pending Home Sales Crash Most on Record | Down -4.0% in November (Est. was -1.0%), October Revised Down Further

https://twitter.com/WallStreetSilv/status/1609052781981143041

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

I seen charts on here with Canadian and NZ house prices crashing months ago. Are they both in a deep recession yet?

Or is that a precursor, so Canada and NZ should fall into recession before the US?

Then again the UK has been pretty much the only country teetering on (possibly was in and out) a recession, did their house prices plummet more?

Little bit of context is always welcomed.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

I work in private equity and in the latter half of 2022 inflows into new vintages have dramatically slowed and this is expected to continue through 2023. Dry powder is what they are saying potential investors are sitting on; ie holding cash and ensuring they can weather thr forthcoming storm. The furious dealmaking of the last few years is well and truly over. The smart money is always first to act, but if I was an individual with any sort of debt, I would be getting it off my books and also building up savings right now, though I assume during COVID that is what most people did.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Advertisement