Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Newcastle drop two points also,I am only looking at at top four.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,417 ✭✭✭.G.

I've seen our fixtures for January and to be honest everyone of them scares me 😂 given how we're playing. We're somehow picking up wins, hopefully that keeps happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Sadly this is much more relevant than the City result. But both are good 🙂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need more goals, from midfield, bur mostly our forwards, hopefully Gakpo gets 10 before end of season, and assists 5 plus, but we need Darwin and Salah to up their game, although Salah has 16 already this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Ah but we have the exact same one that were minutes away from the Quad

They might have been, but that was last year. None of them are getting any younger and time has taken it's toll.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Paul Joyce has said that we more than likely won't be spending any more money in the January transfer window. If that's the case it's a f*cking disaster. I can't understand the logic.

Happy to wait until the summer for the right player.

If we don't add at least one in the summer, then that's a different story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Enzokk

I don't understand a comment like this. We are not City or Newcastle, we don't have unlimited money or can magic sponsors from nowhere to boost revenue streams. I don't know how much money we have to spend, but to suggest after spending 114m euro net the past 4 windows that it's a disaster if you don't spend more seems a little misguided.

That's great, until the right player signs for Madrid or whoever and we are left with no Plan B. All waiting ever seems to do is increase the price or cause us to miss out. Have we learned nothing from Diaz and Gakpo? Strike while the iron is hot. Plus, If we leave it till the summer, we may well have no Champions league either as we desperately need reinforcements in midfield now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,202 ✭✭✭Talisman

I think that may be based on a statement by Klopp in relation to signing Gapko.

Yeah for sure [the deal was brought forward because of injuries] but we’ve been interested in Cody for a long time. You know our situation, we can’t pick players up on top, on top and stuff like this. We have to collect money then spend a little bit then we collect again.

According to media reports, Brighton have rejected Liverpool's offer of around £60M for Caicedo, they don't want to sell the player in this transfer window for less than £70-75M. The Benfica president said that the club had rejected an offer from Liverpool for Enzo Fernandez and if the player is to leave in this transfer window the €120M clause in their contract will have to be activated. Based upon those valuations Liverpool will not be signing either of the players. Dortmund are not willing to let Bellingham leave before the end of the season.

There is rarely good value to be found in the winter transfer window as clubs aren't willing to lose their best players. For example, last season Brighton valued Yves Bissouma at £40-50M, yet were willing to sell him for £25M in the summer transfer window.

Could be wrong but I think Bossuma was entering the final year of his contract and wasn’t going to re-sign, hence to lower valuation and why Brighton had to take what they cud get.

Either way it's standard practice for the club to say they won't be signing anyone unless it's at the right price , have very little money available,or not at all so they don't seem too keen .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Unfortunately 114M over 4 transfer windows is pretty moderate spending in this day and age. It's under 30M each transfer window. Fairly common to see our competitors spend double 114M in one transfer window. Leaving the oil clubs aside. United did last Summer. Chelsea have under Boehly. Top of the league Arsenal are there because they've been spending big over the past few years. Just the reality of football these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

January games with the possible FA Cup fourth round game after the Chelsea game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ah come on. We're one of the lowest net spending teams in the Premier league. Anything less than a new midfielder this transfer window is a failure. We might have to pay a premium in the January window because we didn't buy one last summer, when needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Not playing well, but have quietly won 4 league games in a row. Have gained 5 points over Man City, Spurs, 2 over Newcastle and a lot over Chelsea in that time at least.

Win against Brentford now tomorrow and things look a whole lot better as at least 2 from Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal & Newcastle will drop points.

Happy new year folks

Spurs losing, it always helps when team above us lose.

Aye, while it is not at the top of the spending charts in terms of net spending, it's not at the bottom either. We are where we are with our net/gross transfer spend. The point I was trying to make, we have just spent 50m euro on a player and the expectation that we should spend more otherwise it would be a disaster is difficult to comprehend, when you consider where we are financially and otherwise as a club.

We are not one of the lowest net spend teams, we are somewhere in the middle. Added to net spend you have to consider wages as well and we are one of the bigger spenders in the world when it comes to wages. The players we are looking to attract will be looking for high wages as well. Some of the clubs mentioned that has a higher spend the past few seasons will start paying higher wages which will put a strain on their spend for the future seasons. It doesn't stand still, unless you are City or Newcastle.

Let's just remember that while Haaland only cost City 60m euro or something and that will be a stick to beat Nunez with as he was £84m - if he hits all targets - the reported wage of Haaland at almost £850k per week is what we will pay or 3 top players. I really shouldn't have replied as it is a complex issue to discuss and I don't understand half of our finances, but to boil it down to net spend, gross spend or wages only is too simple. That is before you look at spend around the club in terms of infrastructure and growth in revenue. Then you have to add whether we can sign a player from outside England in our squad at the moment as well.

So to repeat, to just blindly state it would be a disaster if we don't buy more players without looking at the whole picture is misguided. I get the poster was maybe being a bit glib with using disaster, yet his sentiment is that we need to add more players now when it is so complicated on who is available at the price we can afford (spend and wages) while complying with rules of the competitions we play in (17 players not trained in England allowed).

• Advertisement

Opportunity knocks again, beat Brentford and Pool are 3pts off NU with same number of games played.

Interesting stat, for all City’s spending and dominance, in the calendar year 2022, LFC and MC have same points, 79, but they have better GD. Aresenal, NU and Spurs are 77,72,71. So the other teams are getting much closer, a drop in standards will likely see the others take advantage along with a much improved MU. If Chelsea win their two games in hand, they are level with Spurs. There is little room for error between now and season end, particularly if the others buy reinforcements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Tough run we have coming up.

Brentford way actually the thin end of the wedge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,745 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Hard to see us winning tomorrow and it looks like Toney is available now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

Yes I am frustrated by this. We needed a midfielder last summer, and the club screwed up by not getting one (bar the loan deal for Melo - that's been going great!). Even Klopp admitted he was wrong.

Our midfield is poor, it's obvious to everyone. So what do we do, buy a forward player, which we don't really need. Albeit good value for a good player. But midfield should be the obvious priority. I find it baffling. Unless they have something secretly lined up.

Not all players would command huge wages. Amrabat for example wouldn't. Nor would he cost a huge amount to buy.

I feel with our current midfield we will not finish top 4. Not qualifying for the champions league, in my opinion, would be a disaster.

I suppose it depends on what the aspirations/expectations of the club and their supporters are. For many, given the quality of some of our players, finishing outside the top 4 is a disastrous season and would surely strengthen the belief that this great team has come to the end of its cycle.

But look, this has been done to death, most fans want to strengthen a very obvious weak area in the team, others, think they see “the whole picture”, yet don’t seem to appreciate the implications of missing out on a CL spot in terms of earnings, attracting players, other teams progressing because they are in the CL. Rinse and repeat.

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭internelligent

Is Cody Gakpo available for selection tomorrow?

I guess my reply to both of these replies can be added as one as it comes down to one area really. We need numbers in the midfield. At the moment we are looking okay though, but a few injuries will again highlight the problem. We have Henderson, Fabinho and Thiago as what many would consider our best 3 available and fit. Then you have Keita back. With the signing of Gakpo you will see Ox move back into the middle and if Milner is back that is another option. We will need to see how bad Elliott's injury is but seeing as he was preferred to Keita in the last match you would think he is more than just a last gasp stop-gap option.

I know he has been injured but Artur Melo will be another option once he is fit, and then you have Jones to come back as well. I suspect you will see injuries once some are back, as that is how it works really. My hope is we have a little more luck in this second half as it will help with the balance of the squad not to have one area decimated by injuries. As for potential options as mentioned in Zak's reply, I think we should be weary of signing players on the back off a good World Cup. Their value will be the highest and I don't know what the underlying numbers are behind the player and whether recency bias will play role in the assessment of players coming off a good World Cup. Then you have to add whether the player is available and wants to move clubs, again lots of factors to consider.

Seeing the Spurs result at home to Villa it shows we got a very good result at Villa. We have always given up big chances, our high line is always commented on when teams are able to get in behind. This was true in the season we came second (18/19), the title winning season and last season as well. What has happened is our players has the wear of a tough season on their bodies and they are a year older, and other clubs had another year to get a tactic right against the high line as it is the preferred system of more teams. So you will see more success against it and it will mean we will have to hope our players get into form in front of goal. Scoring a couple of early goals sure seem to change the narrative and it did in many of our best seasons, even when big chances were given up in those games.

Looking at the log, it looks like you have 2 teams that seem certain for the top 4 right now in Arsenal and City. That means there will be 2 spots left for the "other big 6" to fight over. Then you add in Newcastle to the mix and all of a sudden you have 2 spots for 5 teams. Some big names are going to miss out on top 4 this season. I think though it will not that big of a disaster. United has been outside of the top 4 of 2 of the last 4 seasons and it has not stopped them signing players or spending money. The PL has so much money in it, apart from the 2 state owned clubs, that you can still bully teams financially outside of the PL and Barca, Real and PSG really. It will be bad to miss out on top 4, but we have to be realistic that it could be us because Arsenal is playing as well as they are (reminds me of us in 19/20 when everyone also expected our level to drop but we just kept going) and Newcastle being better right now than many expected it means there will be a shock to some of the big clubs at the end of the season. We have to be prepared that it could be us.

We are not looking ok in midfield numbers.

At any moment Thiago or Keita could be out for ages again.

Then it is a deteriorating Fabinho and Hendo with a mixed bag in young Elliott.

No one else currently has a serious role, not Melo, not Ox etc.

We need five, probably six reliable players for three positions but instead we have three.

He has flown with the squad to London anyways.

I'd say it's a case of trying to have him registered in time and well if he is, then he can make the bench maybe, and if not well he is getting used to the squad travelling together etc. No harm to have him travel for that reason alone.

Our current side is crying out for a Gerrard in midfield, not just the skill, the goals, but most importantly his absolute fighting spirit, how he doesn't give a fcking inch to an opponent.

A far cry from Thiago and Elliot, all about looking tidy, but zero fight there.

• Advertisement

Thiago has plenty of fight and plenty of other attributes.

I'm actually not sure how Gerrard would be on in our midfield three system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,069 ✭✭✭jones

It's weird I don't get the sudden negativity towards thiago from a few people. Apart from his injury record he's been perfect for us.

On the lack of signing a midfielder it's absolutely bonkers, some fans tie themselves in knots trying to defend club decisions. The fact is we need a reliable midfielder THIS transfer window. What's going to happen this summer when a few more leave and stalwarts get older? Buy two/three starting midfielders?

Delighted with Gakpo but if he's not followed by a midfielder (which looks increasingly unlikely) we're at best 50/50 shot for top 4. For a team like ours champions League money is critical we can't spend like United etc even if not in the top 4 so no point quoting their spending.

Massive game later

First I heard/read of Thiago negativity. Superb player for us.

Our midfield issues are depth related. We have very little,and quality fresh legs are needed asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

Sure bajcetic is like a new signing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

Thiago is brilliant. Injuries are frustrating, but he's a master.

He is a joy to watch, but the maestro needs an orchestra, his best work is done when he has two the two best beside him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Am I going crazy or does the actual transfer window just not matter anymore? It's January 2nd and we're already supposedly finished our business for this month, all of which took place last month.

Seems prudent to wrap up business as early as possible and get the most benefit rather than looking desperate at the end of the window. It’s no different from ordering a car in 2022 for delivery 01/01/23.

• Advertisement

You're obviously new here, otherwise your own post is itself a contender in it's claims after just 33 hours. Toby posts stuff along those lines all the time. Calling it out is just foolish,especially when its not that far off the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Well sure but I feel like as recent as a few years ago that was referred to as "tapping up" and was quite frowned upon 😆 the times are a changing

Isn’t tapping up where the club discuss a transfer with the player without the club’s consent? It seemed to me that PSV were aware of discussions and acknowledged earlier in December that Gapko was leaving in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I know what ya mean, but terms can be agreed with teams and players any time you like - the window is just a registration window so the player is registered to play in the league. We did well, agreeing terms early so we could make it official with the league as early as possible.

i wouldn’t be surprised if we still tried to get an athletic midfielder in before the end of the month though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

We're not going to have any midfield next summer with Ox and Keita leaving. Miller and Henderson one year older and frankly past it for a premier league team. We need one now and maybe 2 more in the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭augustus gloop

I've been here over 10 years. Im also aware of tobys agenda.

Thanks for the comment

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

The midfielder should have been signed prior today in my view, fair enough it will be a makeshift team for the fa cup game but Jesus give ourselves a chance and have someone in for a few days to train get used to players.. it's not like the need for a midfielder is just now, they have known since September. Really poor planning in my eyes at this stage.

There has to be a worldie in lower leagues, like we didn't pull the trigger on Fernandez or even valverde before their moves. Have we no scouts or are we piggy backing and getting info from other clubs scouts. Would like to say it's slightly worrying but it's bordering on incompetence from the scouts/transfer dept at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

"You're obviously new here"

If you want anyone to take your posting seriously, I'd suggest you steer clear of posting like this. I've been posting here 15 years, lurking much longer, and i recall seeing Augustus Gloop in this forum a long time.

And the bit about Thiago and Elliott from toby was a country mile off the mark. Thiago is so, so much more than a tidy player. And Elliott at 19 has shown excellent heart as well as his obvious potential, and is still just a teenager.

Konate back tonight is brilliant. It allows the higher line to be played too.

I thought Keita might start tonight but looks like it's Elliot taking the 3rd spot with Fabinho back & Thiago.

Tsimikas starts, as does Ox.

Yes, everyone knows this.

But he's not a Roy Keane, or a Gerrard, he aint going to rattle cages, and get the team and crowd going when needed. The way a Gerrard did, the way Suarez did.

Inspiring players inspire others way beyond their capabilities. It might sound like Roy of The Rovers stuff, but it's reality.

I recall us playing awful in a game recently, can't recall what game, but Klopp got into some argument on the touchline, got the crowd and players galvanized though, flipped a switch, suddenly we're playing well and win. Football needs passion.

The same was true when we played Man City this season, we were playing okay, but so were City, but Klopp was in full flow, getting crowd going, showing passion that the players absorbed too, yea he got sent off, but again we were brilliant that day, didn't give a fcking inch.

Gerrard and Suarez, in their prime, never game an inch, no matter what the game.

Lets see who shows passion today, away to Brentford...

Would love to see us try another loan for a midfielder, Melo was a curse.

• Advertisement
Advertisement