Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas and New Year Television Thread 2022!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,070 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Evening, Lzzy Hale. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,982 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Yeah, I think 30 minutes was too short. It ticked all the boxes for a “Jamesian” story but it lacked the punch, maybe.

I enjoyed it well enough for what it was but the only real “scare” that came out of it was the brief glimpse at the body with the face removed.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

‘Frankie Boyle’s New World Order 2022’, tonight at 10pm on BBC2 (10.30pm on BBC2 NI).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,820 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Enjoyed the documentary on RTE about the Concerts in the 80s

Slane in the 80s was mouth watering in terms of quality of acts playing

‘Dancing in the Moonlight - The RTÉ Concert Orchestra Plays the Music of Thin Lizzy’, tonight at 9.25pm on RTE One.

The RTÉ Concert Orchestra is supported by various guests including Mundy, Jack O'Rourke, Wallis Bird, Tom Dunne and Shobsy.

The film also features insights from the performers, musicians, and people who were close to Phil Lynott and the rest of the band.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

There's usually a World Cup look back programme this time of year, but it only finished ten days ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,301 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I really like Frankie Boyle but the bits with the other comedians is never that funny imo. Worth it for his intro and closing bit though.

Agreed.

None of the other comedians have contributed anything remotely as funny as Frankie’s material. Just have him on his own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Balls, I missed that, would havce liked to have seen it.

"When Bob Rock came into the picture, bass frequencies also came into the picture" - if you know, you know.

‘Callan Kicks The Year 2022’, tonight on RTE One at 9.25pm.

Oliver Callan rounds off the year with some much-needed laughs in a special edition of his comedy, taking a satirical look at the past 12 months.

• Advertisement

Here we go!

New Year’s Eve Party, 10.15pm, RTÉ One

Jennifer Zamparelli kicks the celebrations off with a bang in a star-studded studio.

Irish rock legends Ash, pop superstar Tom Grennan, singing sensation Lyra, swinging 60's icon Donovan, the RTÉ Concert Orchestra and other surprise performers will take to the stage.

House band on the night, the Hothouse Flowers will also perform some uplifting numbers with Clare Sands and the Discovery Gospel Choir.

Jen will also be joined in studio by a host of special guests including Love Island’s Jack Keating, Eurovision’s Brooke Scullion, Marty Whelan, 2022’s GAA champions, Kerry’s Tik Tokking Fleming Family, Cork actress Demi Isaac Oviawe and more.

Viewers can expect plenty of surprises, as Jennifer and her guests reflect on the last 12 months and set new resolutions - with plenty of laughs promised along the way.

The show is followed at 11.45pm by NYE Countdown Concert with Westlife. It features the pop band as they headline the New Year's Festival Dublin, performing in the new Festival Village on North Wall Quay adjacent to the East Link Bridge.

The Graham Norton New Year’s Eve Show, 10.25pm, BBC One

Graham Norton presents his traditional end-of-year show, joined by Oscar-winner Olivia Colman and Bafta rising star Micheal Ward, who are co-starring in Sam Mendes' romantic drama Empire of Light.

Actor-musician Hugh Laurie, comedian Romesh Ranganathan and Lioness captain Leah Williamson also make their way onto Graham's celebrity sofa.

Cabaret stars Callum Scott Howells and Madeline Brewer chat and perform Wilkommen and Don't Tell Mama from the West End revival.

Followed at 11.30pm by Sam Ryder Rocks New Year's Eve, where the Eurovision star presents a New Year's Eve concert, from Riverside Studios in Hammersmith, where he blasts out a selection of hits from across the decades.

He is also joined by fellow music stars for special duets and special takes on classic hits, pausing only for the chimes of Big Ben and the traditional fireworks display over the Thames.

Jools’ Annual Hootenanny, 11.30pm, BBC Two

The pianist and his Rhythm & Blues Orchestra see in the new year alongside an array of musical greats from the present and the past.

They include Andy Fairweather Low, Cat Burns, Gabrielle, George Ezra, Roland Gift, the perennial guest Ruby Turner, Self Esteem, the Real Thing and Rachael & Vilray.

Plus, as is tradition, Jools counts the seconds down to midnight before the Pipes and Drums of the 1st Battalion Scots Guards play viewers into 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,061 ✭✭✭trashcan

Amen to that.It’s awful and I wouldn’t go within a mile of it.If it was the only thing on I’d turn the telly off. How O’Carrroll is still getting away with it (or, indeed, how he ever did) is one of life’s great mysteries.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Lego Ninjago movie translated into Irish on TG4 now.

I love that idea, I'm guessing getting the green light to do it is a tedious process.

Post edited by Say Your Number on

Watched Ecape To Victory on Ch5 this afternoon and was welling up during the scenes featuring Pele and Bobby Moore, two greats taken by cancer!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Seneca the Stoic

He’s getting away with it because there’s plenty that love it, apparently. Agree it is drivel.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Just flicked on RTE1. Have they rented out Jools Holland's usual studio? Or have they just completely ripped off the setup used for "Later... With Jools"? I'm guessing the latter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Was just catching up on the Late Late thread while watching the RTE New Years thing, and here's The Hothouse Flowers and That One Song™️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,818 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

If you have Tv5 Monde on VM or satellite it is already 2023!

The fireworks were amazing.

And now there is some crazy dancing in Flash Gordon and Ninja outfits to a Depeche Mode backing track.

No idea what will happen next.

It is like the Eurovision of NYE shows.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RINO87

Who were the two podcast lads there after the flowers

Not loving this rte NYE show so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Kevin Twomey and PJ Kirby, had to google "gay cork podcast"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,291 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

How does Romesh Ranganathan get so many TV shows / gigs, a TV sitcom now Romantic Getaway, awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭RINO87

Ta. They were very poor. Over to Jools at last!

I don’t know whether to applaud your initiative or lament my increasingly quieter New Year’s Eves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The lead singer from Ash looks younger now than he did 20 years ago.

Not Burn, Baby Burn 😒

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭mollser

Rte pretty good this year in fairness, hats off to Jennifer she's freshened it up and has worked well. BBC looking pretty crap in comparison, who'd have thought!

Edit here's the feckin hothouse flowers to ruin my monologue 😂

Are Ash not playing their Joe Duffeh anthem, ‘Buzzkill’?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,110 ✭✭✭Xander10

Is ruby turner on Jools every year?

Poor enough line up. Don't remember it starting this late before.

I'll last until midnight and retire for the night

Advertisement