Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Enterprise refurbishment comes closer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭The_Wanderer

cargo wrote: »
    Any update on when the rest of the sets will be back in service?

They are saying end of February.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,968 ✭✭✭trellheim

Going up tomorrow. I need a power socket ; is everything on Enterprise DD or otherwise currently have power sockets in Standard class like a 29k ?

TIA

Going up tomorrow. I need a power socket ; is everything on Enterprise DD or otherwise currently have power sockets in Standard class like a 29k ?

TIA

Your message is a bit muddled.

The DD set has sockets in first and standard classes.
    08:00 Belfast Connolly
    11:00 Connolly Belfast
    14:10 Belfast Connolly
    16:50 Connolly Belfast

The 22000 set has sockets in first and standard classes.
    07:35 Connolly / Belfast
    10:35 Belfast / Connolly
    13:20 Connolly / Belfast
    16:05 Belfast / Connolly
    19:00 Connolly / Belfast
    21:15 Belfast / Connolly

The last diagram is worked by a NI Railways 3000 Class. This has no sockets on board for passenger use.
    06:50 Belfast Connolly
    09:35 Connolly Belfast
    12:35 Belfast Connolly
    15:20 Connolly Belfast
    18:10 Belfast Connolly
    20:50 Connolly Belfast

The Wanderer.

Your message is a bit muddled.

The DD set has sockets in first and standard classes.
    08:00 Belfast Connolly
    11:00 Connolly Belfast
    14:10 Belfast Connolly
    16:50 Connolly Belfast

The 22000 set has sockets in first and standard classes.
    07:35 Connolly / Belfast
    10:35 Belfast / Connolly
    13:20 Connolly / Belfast
    16:05 Belfast / Connolly
    19:00 Connolly / Belfast
    21:15 Belfast / Connolly

The last diagram is worked by a NI Railways 3000 Class. This has no sockets on board for passenger use.
    06:50 Belfast Connolly
    09:35 Connolly Belfast
    12:35 Belfast Connolly
    15:20 Connolly Belfast
    18:10 Belfast Connolly
    20:50 Connolly Belfast

The Wanderer.

Excellent, thank you for the response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

That assumes an ICR is used.

Wasn't one on Monday or Tuesday morning, stuck on a cold noisy 29k instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

That assumes an ICR is used.

Wasn't one on Monday or Tuesday morning, stuck on a cold noisy 29k instead

The ICR was trapped in York Road due to a security alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

GM228 wrote: »
    Thats 5 out of 234.

The fact Irish Rail couldn't put a ICR on highlights the complete disregard for customers on the cross border service. Plenty lying around Drogheda on Monday mid morning.

29k, is cold, noisy, slow, no catering and needs two drivers, no apology from the staff, who of course hid. Translink staff on the C3K, full of apologies and information, name badge and highly visible on the train, totally different world. C3K more than capable of the schedule.

The DD project is mess, now looking like 6-7 months late, part of the funding at risk and the one train returned to service has been pulled from service over and over again for various faults.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Thats 5 out of 234.

The fact Irish Rail couldn't put a ICR on highlights the complete disregard for customers on the cross border service. Plenty lying around Drogheda on Monday mid morning.

29k, is cold, noisy, slow, no catering and needs two drivers, no apology from the staff, who of course hid. Translink staff on the C3K, full of apologies and information, name badge and highly visible on the train, totally different world. C3K more than capable of the schedule.

The DD project is mess, now looking like 6-7 months late, part of the funding at risk and the one train returned to service has been pulled from service over and over again for various faults.

Mid morning answers your question, most likely getting checked before going back into service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,229 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Thats 5 out of 234.
    The fact Irish Rail couldn't put a ICR on highlights the complete disregard for customers on the cross border service.

and other long distance services. i thought it was something like 73 ICR sets they have?
    Plenty lying around Drogheda on Monday mid morning.

which have to travel all the way back to dublin because some dimwit decided to have long distance trains maintained half way down the country rather then in dublin because "reasons" . not forgetting their miss use on suburbans which has been done to death but always worth hi-lighting anyway.
    29k, is cold, noisy, slow, no catering and needs two drivers

agree, anything outside maynooth and droghida and they are horrid things. same with the other suburban classes. even the rusting mark 2s in their final days were luxury compared to these things.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The second set due to re enter service went on it's first test run yesterday to Newry and back to York Road.

The set was:
    9001 + 9103 + 9403 + 9214 + 9201 + 9211 + 9208 + 89602 & Loco 228.

The second set entered service today.

Spotted the 3 rd set back in service yesterday on the 16:50 Connolly to Beflast with 207 in charge. First time seeing 207 work a new set. There were two other locos on standby at Connolly shed.

On friday afternoon I got a poor picture of 206 with one of the other Enterprise sets in the Connolly vallet plant around 15:30. The loco and EGV was shut down, not sure if it was a failure.

On friday afternoon I got a poor picture of 206 with one of the other Enterprise sets in the Connolly vallet plant around 15:30. The loco and EGV was shut down, not sure if it was a failure.
    I think that set was hauled to Inchicore for staff training.

• Advertisement

Spotted the 3 rd set back in service yesterday on the 16:50 Connolly to Beflast with 207 in charge. First time seeing 207 work a new set. There were two other locos on standby at Connolly shed.

The third (9003) set entered service on Friday replacing the 9002 set which is what you saw in Connolly having run empty York Road to Connolly and now in Inchicore for IE crew training, full Enterprise operation from next Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Seems to have been a lot of issues with the Enterprise services this week with daily delays posted on twitter (certainly a lot then in previous weeks). Apologies re mechanical breakdowns, replacement carriages, etc.

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Seems to have been a lot of issues with the Enterprise services this week with daily delays posted on twitter (certainly a lot then in previous weeks). Apologies re mechanical breakdowns, replacement carriages, etc.

I have noticed they are changing out locos far more often then even in the HEP days. Think there is still alot of teething issues and snags to be sorted.

I have noticed they are changing out locos far more often then even in the HEP days. Think there is still alot of teething issues and snags to be sorted.

The locos are changed out everyday on a rotation to allow one loco always be in Inchicore on exam.

The locos are changed out everyday on a rotation to allow one loco always be in Inchicore on exam.

Yep, the 0800 ex Belfast always has a loco change.

• Advertisement

If it's that often now, what would it of been before the refurb and while there is only a handful for the service is it to them trying to ensure increase reliability?

How often do Mark IV's generally see a change?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    If it's that often now, what would it of been before the refurb and while there is only a handful for the service is it to them trying to ensure increase reliability?

Jame, IE maintain the locos. They need to get to Inchicore for the maintenance. The 0800 ex Belfast has always had a booked loco change for as long as I can remember.

As for the MKIV's the three sets which finish at Heuston each night have their locos go to Inchicore generally for fuelling and exam if required.

When there was only one Enterprise set in operation last year one loco was left on for a week at a time without a change. 231 spent at least 7 days straight on the last set in service at one stage.

Regular Enterprise locos changes only came in in 2003 after all the HEP fires, at one stage 5 201s were out of service with minor HEP fire damage.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Jame, IE maintain the locos. They need to get to Inchicore for the maintenance. The 0800 ex Belfast has always had a booked loco change for as long as I can remember.

As for the MKIV's the three sets which finish at Heuston each night have their locos go to Inchicore generally for fuelling and exam if required.

Know how ot works but expected locos to get longer runs than to be checked so often.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Enterprise delays every day this week per IE Twitter....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,554 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I saw this video today from the IE channel on Youtube. If you haven't seen it; give this a watch.

3 out of 4 trips Connolly-Belfast on the new sets last few weeks , the electrical sockets have been out.

On asking the Guard says that one of the gennies in the EGV is out and he can't restart it.

Known issue or is it just flimflammery ?

207 was hauling a failed 8208 off the 7:35 service set before departure at 7am in Connolly this morning. Noticed a good few services being covered by C3Ks over the past few weeks too. Still looks to be some issues go on.

207 was hauling a failed 8208 off the 7:35 service set before departure at 7am in Connolly this morning. Noticed a good few services being covered by C3Ks over the past few weeks too. Still looks to be some issues go on.

The Enterprise seems to have settled down now, whilst there have been a few complete failures requiring alternative trains (and a lot of late running) there hasn't actually been that many covered by C3Ks in recent weeks, that said there are additional daily shopper specials operating 3 or 4 days each week for the whole summer which are being operated by C3Ks, perhaps you are seeing those?

Could be, I didn't know those type of services existed. Anytime I see a C3K and know there are no Rugby or GAA games on I assume it's a cover service.

• Advertisement

Could be, I didn't know those type of services existed. Anytime I see a C3K and know there are no Rugby or GAA games on I assume it's a cover service.

They operate each Thursday, Friday and Saturday.

http://www.translink.co.uk/Special-Offers/dublin-daytripper-rail-specials/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

In addition to that special there is also a Monday - Saturday relief that runs as required.
    Belfast 10:20
    Connolly 12:30 - 13:00
    Belfast 15:10

In addition to that special there is also a Monday - Saturday relief that runs as required.
    Belfast 10:20
    Connolly 12:30 - 13:00
    Belfast 15:10

Hasn't run for some time. Used to regularly run when the Enterprise refurbishment program was on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

So this is what I saw in Dundalk last Friday,heading south about 1045 or 50.

Having alighted from the 0930 Dublin - Belfast and exited leisurely,I observed the up main starter was green, so waited, and witnessed a C3K.

tabbey wrote: »
    So this is what I saw in Dundalk last Friday,heading south about 1045 or 50.

Having alighted from the 0930 Dublin - Belfast and exited leisurely,I observed the up main starter was green, so waited, and witnessed a C3K.

Yes

8209 finally back on the Connolly side of the network this morning having being turned back around after months facing the wrong way to work Enterprise stock. It was the standby loco while 206 was on the 7:35 service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I have to get the enterprise to Belfast next week. I was really disappointed by the time table, it's a very slow service and North of the border seems to be the worst section. Surely the best way to improve the service would be to build a direct line between Newry and Lisburn via Banbridge. If built to a high standard allowing trains to do 200kmh (obviously faster than current stock can do) surely that would knock a good half hour off the journey, putting the service into actual competition with the M1. The existing line to Portadown can be retained for commuter services (who wants to travel Dublin-Portadown anyway? those that do can change at Lisburn).

I'm sure the new carriages are nice and all but I'd much rather the money be spent on improving the speed which is terrible compared to Dublin-South West trains. I would say improving the Dub-Belfast rail is by far the most important cross-border transport needed, much more important than a Derry-Monaghan motorway, considering the N2 south of Aughnacloy only sees a mere 6,000 AADT, which is no justification for a motorway spec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I couldn't find a more recent thread about Enterprise refurb, if there is one, Mods feel free to move this post

Iarnród Eireann tender for Enterprise Fleet Replacement Project - Traction Options Study

They didn't bother putting anything in the description but thankfully the documents can be downloaded without registering, which gives the following;

1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTRACT BEING PROCURED

1.1 NAME OF CONTRACT AND SUMMARY OF SERVICES/GOODS REQUIRED/SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS

This is a call to competition by IE for the procurement of Traction Options Study for the Enterprise Fleet Replacement Project” (the “Contract”).

Enterprise is an international intercity passenger service serving the Belfast - Dublin rail corridor, it is jointly operated by state transport bodies Translink (operating as NI Railways (NIR)) in Northern Ireland and Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) in the Republic of Ireland. The existing train fleet needs to be replaced by 2027/2028. NIR and IÉ have formed a joint venture project known as “Enterprise Fleet Replacement Project” (EFRP) to procure eight new trains, and associated facilities for servicing and maintenance of the trains.

A Professional Service Provider is required to undertake a Traction Options Study to provide strategies and recommendations associated with operational speeds, route de-carbonisation, route power, and onboard traction power. These strategies and recommendations shall ensure the new trains deliver an endto-end journey time of sub 2 hours on the existing rail infrastructure at introduction in 2027/28 taking into account station stops, network congestion, permanent and temporary speed restrictions etc.

Emissions must be minimised and the new fleet will operate using IÉ’s existing 1.5 kV DC OHLE network where installed and otherwise be self-powered until route electrification is achieved around 2035. NIR propose at some future point to install 25 kV AC OHLE and it may feature short discontinuous sections. All technology & fuel source strategies and solutions recommended must be proven reliable, have established safe supply networks and demonstrate value for money. “Self-Power” requires a very detailed study and Diesel power is seen as a choice of last resort where no other practical proven solutions currently exist.

If not ordered yet, this must be a bit tight to get new rolling stock by 2027/28.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,086 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Further to the above, IÉ now tendering for a Professional Service Provider to provide a Fleet Maintenance Strategy for the new Enterprise fleet;

It also confirms the intention to move to 25kV AC between 2035 & 2040. From the PQQ document;

1. DESCRIPTION OF THE CONTRACT BEING PROCURED

1.1 NAME OF CONTRACT AND SUMMARY OF SERVICES/GOODS REQUIRED/SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS

This is a call to competition by IE for the procurement of A Professional Service Provider to provide a Fleet Maintenance Strategy for the new Enterprise fleet (the “Contract”).

Enterprise is an international intercity passenger service serving the Belfast - Dublin rail corridor, it is jointly operated by state transport bodies Translink (operating as NI Railways (NIR)) in Northern Ireland and Iarnród Éireann (IÉ) in the Republic of Ireland. The existing train fleet needs to be replaced by 2027/2028. NIR and IÉ have formed a joint venture project known as “Enterprise Fleet Replacement Project” (EFRP) to procure eight new trains, and associated facilities for servicing and maintenance of the trains.

Maintenance of the existing fleet is divided between both companies. NIR undertakes all running maintenance, heavy maintenance, casualty maintenance, wheel turning & bogie overhaul on the passenger rolling stock at York Road Depot in Belfast. IÉ undertakes all running maintenance, heavy maintenance, casualty maintenance on the eight Class 201 Locomotives allocated to the existing Enterprise Fleet at Inchicore Works Dublin.

The new Enterprise fleet may be either multiple unit or Locomotives and coaches, the specification is open on this because of the small size of the fleet. The new fleet will have an operational life of 30 years in service.

While not fully determined it is anticipated that the trains will commence life with a bi-mode traction capability comprising of (1) 1.5kV DC OHLE, (2) Self-Power (most likely Diesel), (3) Limited Traction Battery Capability). The trains traction capability will be reconfigured between 2035 & 2040, self-power modules will be removed and replaced by 25kV AC traction modules.

A Professional Service Provider is required to provide a Fleet Maintenance Strategy for the new Enterprise fleet. The strategy is required to provide definite recommendations for the most appropriate location to undertake secured running maintenance and heavy maintenance of the new fleet, along with details of any necessary depot facility improvements required to undertake scheduled maintenance safely and efficiently depending on the final train traction architecture. The report should also provide indication of facilities required to complete the scheduled traction reconfiguration, mid-life overhauls and potential casualty maintenance.

The Professional Service Provider is also required to identify maintenance and technical support options for the new fleet that will be negotiated as part of the fleet purchase. The maintenance options should range from all maintenance undertaken in house by Translink/IÉ maintenance staff to full outsourcing of the maintenance. The report must identify the rational for inclusion of the maintenance options within the train procurement process.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Ireland trains

Provisional EU funding has been agreed according to modern railways.

Will the current fleet be scrapped or is there a chance they will be redeployed?

coaches will highly likely be scrapped i would say.

201s will probably survive until the mk4 are scrapped.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Is 8 trains enough for an hourly service?

6 needed, 1 available, 1 on heavy maintiance/modification.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

I don't know much about the condition of carriages etc, but scrapping them in a country with perpetual shortages of rolling stock does not seem wise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

What do people here who have travelled on them think of the DDs? I know the lack of an DVGT like the Mark 4s has not stood to them, what with the issues with the 201s and having to build EGVs out of Mark 3s, but would it have been a good thing, had the money been available, were IE to have acquired some additional DD stock in 1997/8 - with own generation - on the same order, essentially the Mark 4 order but a decade early?

• Advertisement

of course it isn't but that hasn't stopped them before and it won't again.

perpetual shortages are a big part of the UK style model we now follow, a hybrid of BR of the 1980s with a mix of the worst parts of privatization.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

It is never too late to desist from stupidity.

The Green party in particular have spent their time with Mickey Mouse cycle lanes, judged mainly by how much inconvenience they cause motorists, but have done little to increase the capacity of public transport.

i know it isn't but IE are wedded to that model and it is going to take brute force to change it.

the greens aren't the only ones guilty of failing public transport.

cycle lanes are a good thing if done properly for our towns and cities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,789 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I take exception to that. Our capital city has barely 10km of cycle lane that is usable, the effort made on improving cycling is close to 0. The remaining cycling 'infrastructure' is simply a FFG employment scheme for the makers of poles, digns and bollards and the results are of little use to cyclists. Even the liffey cycle route, a project that has been in the making for 13 years and cost about 10 million, has recently been shelved. If the state cannot deliver a mere 3km of cycle lane over a decade then the railways have little chance.

And by the way investing in cycling is just as important as public transport if not more so. Lots of cities have 40% of trips by bike and have healthier, happier populations as a result. Not that it's any relevance to the Dublin Belfadt rail service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

And do what though? The sets are almost 30 years old, have a severely limited route clearance, they need locomotives to haul/push them, are costlier to run over over DUM's, are far less flexible than railcars and in the grand scheme of things, aren't really that practical. The issue nowadays is capacity as distinct to shortages of stock per se. The extra 41 extra intermediate units for the 22's will go a long way to addressing this. Meanwhile at least 39 new DART sets are on order along with a possibility of up to 250 sets. Once in traffic they will free up yet more DMU's for other services.

• Advertisement
Advertisement