Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2023?

Options
  • 31-12-2022 5:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭

Given that you may well be looking at this in 7hrs time,

anyone got any interesting cycling plans/ambitions/goals for 2023?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭cletus

I have some very uninteresting plans...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

I'm going ol-man racin'.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm trying to remember what my plans for 2022 were.

For 2023 my main aim is to be out on the bike every week at the club ride, twice in spring and summer if possible. I'll try to hit 5000km for the first time. I've hit 4000 or so for three years running but I always seem to have a bit of a break around summer (typically take long holidays in non cycling friendly places) and also run out of steam around this time of year. This year really fizzled out in the autumn due to life.

I'll try to have a few milestones spread throughout the year that I know I will need to be in good shape for - probably Flanders or Liège in the spring and something else in summer. I'd also like to do one of the longer 100km+ gravel events.

Finally - want to have a serious attempt at a Zwift race by the end of January.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

My 2022 was poor cycle wise. Busy work, new baby to go along with 2 other young kids.

Time to re focus. I’ve singed up to the Wicklow 200. I’m a cheap bastard so since I paid for it I’ll do it (and train for it). MARK.MY.WORDS!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,728 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Aims for 2023

Top 5 in an A3 race is a major aim this year & achieveable.

Continue with strength training as I’m old & need it for many reasons.

Get to a long standing goal weight of 92-95kgs ( current 100kgs).

Find someone on a similar plan that I can do long spins with (3-4hrs) at weekends.

Explore new roads & routes.

• Advertisement

Just shy of 9,000 km for 2022, my best yet after taking up cycling about three years ago. Felt I improved a lot this year but didn't have the time to race or even do many sportives as we had a new baby in March to add to the other two small children at home. Nearly 43 so feel if I don't get racing this year it'll never happen so the plan for the year ahead are as follows:

1. Join a club
    2. Race A4
    3. Stay at or improve on 4w/kg
    4. Follow the plan
    5. Do some strength work
    6. Get a bike fit to help sort niggles
    7. Hide when OH hears of my plans

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Just get out and cycle more

More structure during the week

Longer cycles at weekend

Doing events/races that suit me and I know I'll enjoy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Finished 2022 40km shy of what I thought was going to be an easily achievable 6k goal, but I only got out once in December; due to a combination of work, the cold snap and that blasted cold doing the rounds. No specific goals for next year yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,889 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

targeted 4k for the year and finished 200km short due to the crap weather in Nov and Dec, I was well ahead of target before that.

I did a 200km audax last year so will try and do one or two more this year and a few sportives.

I did some club races last year for the first time and really enjoyed it, so will try to do a few more this year (the series clashes with when we go on hols so I end up being away for some of them unfortunately).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

none. Try to enjoy it a bit more. Cycled just over 5k this year but it was mostly utility stuff. Covid hit, then an achilles problem later in the year. Went off to cascais, rented a bike but didn't do nearly as much as I would normally as I decided to lounge at the pool for once.

Need to sort out my stable of bikes. It's been in a state of flux for the last 2 years. 4 bikes out , 4 in.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

one of the things i have as a possible plan this year is to see if i can get a secondhand brompton for my wife.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

No set plans for the year, but as I only managed a third of what I've done the previous 3 years, I'll definitely need to get out more. Moving and renovating a house took a lot of time last year and I've yet to go out with the new club I joined due to work / icy conditions so that should change soon. Cant commute to work now, due to the distance but I'm planning to do it at least once or twice in the summer depending on how my shift pans out. Long term plans to buy / build a Ti winter bike but can't really make a decision on what way to go yet (disc / rim or Di2 / mechanical). I'm sure life will interrupt that plan but I've started saving...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

My main goal is the same every year which is to stay upright on the bike and not come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭dakar

This. But need to actually get on the bike first…

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I had a few key goals I set for 2022 and managed to complete them:

• Manage to complete 12,000km with over 87,000m of climbing
    • New bike - Orro Venturi STC Airbeat with Ultegra Di2
    • Cycle abroad - managed club trip to Girona and family holiday in the Cevennes
    • Beat my previous high score of 161kms to reach 177km

As it was my third year of cycling "properly", I'm happy with how I did.

For 2023, I'd like to be able to hit 15,000kms and 100,000m. If I manage to get abroad again, I'll be very happy but currently have no plans for it.

I also want to hit the 200km milestone (I've a feeling that this was a goal set for 2022).

One new item that my arm is being easily twisted towards is to take part in a four-person team entry for the Mondello 24hr race.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

I'm going to do the solo Mondello24 this year, I did the 2 person team event with my daughter last year so it seems the logical progression...

The only problem is I've done a solo 24 before and I know what's involved.

I'll take in a 300 ultra in mayo that I missed last year due to illness on the way plus maybe a few Audax events.

I'd love to go back to the Lalelander Gravel Grinder again this year as well as take in a few other similar events along the way

Will try and work in a small bit of touring as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭nilhg

The team events at Mondello 24 are great sport and there's a place for everyone from the full on racers to the charity teams just putting in the laps, it's a great event

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Gorteen

A small group leisurely cycle from Lisbon to Faro in April. Bringing our bikes with us and staying in B&B / cheap hotels along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

105 Di2 disc seems to be getting discounted in some places to close to 1200 so that is tempting for a new build. Although 105 R7000 for close to 600 is perfect for a winter build too

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

If you get a few days at the start, sintra is well worthy of a exploring by bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭billyhead

That looks like a great trip. I might do something similar. How long will you expect it to take and are you bringing your own bikes?

Our first day is in Sintra, before we start out journey. Any tips on things to do in Sintra?

We're planning for 3 days cycling followed by a "day off" near the beach and then a final 3 days cycling. Bringing our own bikes. We brought bikes in April 2022 to Porto for the Camino and it was very straightforward

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭hesker

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭8valve

If we make it to France with the camper this year, I'd love to give Ventoux a go.

Or alpe d'huez.

Something iconic; just to say ''Ah yea, i've done that...''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,990 ✭✭✭G1032

Get my FTP back up by the 60 watts I've lost since July due to long COVID and worry about racing then. At the minute there's zero light at the end of the tunnel so this could be a slow burner 🙈

• Registered Users Posts: 14,242 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Goals for 2023:

• Get a new road bike, and maybe a 2nd hand gravel bike
    • Do either of the Wicklow/Evil 200's
    • Do more lengthy mountain spins through Wicklow in preparation for L'Etape du Tour
    • Finish L'Etape du Tour in reasonable time/condition
    • Do more sportives/events ROK, Beara tour etc.
    • Go cycling when abroad on hols.
    • Get as close to a sub-3hr 100k as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

2023: 100km 52 times, on average.

In 2022 I did 52 rides of 100km or more, but became obsessed with not exceeding 100 by much. By averaging I'll enjoy the longer runs and the shorter ones more.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭wijam

2022 was a mare, aimed for 6000-7000km, ended up with 3500km after a bad run of health

So for 2023, it's to get more more consistently, ideally two mid mornings and Saturday and the odd Sunday, for events and holidays

• Tour de Conamara - did this last year, one of the most scenic events I've done on the West Coast
    • Wicklow 200 - attempt number 4 - every year something knocks us off training and we drop to the W100, could well see us doing the W150 this year knowing our luck :)
    • Looking at a foreign event - possibly Dam to Dam in September in Amsterdam
    • 1st holiday is local, the weekend between Conamara and Wicklow I'm doing a 5 day bike-packing trip to take in two Derry City matches, so going Dublin - Monaghan - Derry - Sligo - Mullingar - Dublin, Derry are at home the Friday night and away in Dublin on the Monday
    • 2nd holiday is 2 weeks in Girona mid October, flights already booked, and the first six days is a bike-packing trip, 2 days up to a cycling B&B in France, the far side of the Pyrenees, two days cycling up there and then two days back to Girona, then base myself in Girona for the second week, 10th time of visiting and still a lot of the longer and steeper routes to have a crack at

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Very happy with how 2022 panned out.

Set a target of 8,500 kms and finished on 10,700 odd kms. A new record for me. Would have hit 11,000 km but for cold snap, followed by wet snap followed by nasty chest infection.

Longest spin was 166km and just over 30kph avg.

Did a race spin with Gorey cc touring group and avg was 34.5 kph .

All done across 4 bikes, traditional bikes, all carbon frames, all ultegra manual gears and rim brakes.

If 2023 pans out on a similar vein I'd be very happy. I'll be hitting 66 this year and will be officially an OAP. Will eventually upgrade one bike to a Di2 and disc brakes.... retirement present to myself 🤞just haven't totally decided on that date quite yet.

Safe riding to ye all.

Advertisement