Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

This week's EV bargain that I'm not buying

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭joe1303l

Good point about the rental option if the boat from China gets held up. As suggested if you can pick up a cheap luxobarge for a few weeks rental money, it could be a good plan albeit with a slight gamble factor.

I presume you have tried and failed with the ID4 on the trade in option/farce with Tesla to end up selling privately ?

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Alfagtamini

Yeah there was a considerable difference between the private sale VS trade in from Tesla.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭...Ghost...

Wat would the fuel cost be for 2 months on an ol luxobarge? If I had the cash and the range was suitable, I'd be all over the Leaf. You won't lose much if anything at all when reselling. And old banger could give problems within days at bngernomic money.

Stay Free

That's a point too. I'd guess around €600 over the 2 months.

I contacted the seller about that leaf and he said the battery health is 66%.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

8 bars left, that's pretty reasonable for an early one. It's advertised as XE though, so make sure it has CHAdeMO DC fast charging. Otherwise it would take 3 days and 3 nights to drive it from Kildare to your home 😁

• Advertisement

It would definitely be a trek without CHAdeMO. Im waiting for the seller to confirm this for me before making a decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's not a XE, it's the standard 2011-12 spec which has pretty much everything including LED lights. But yes, good to ensure DC is included as there might be some off spec cars out there. The SOH of 66% will be a brutal range in winter. 50 km is not far off I reckon. Just that you know where you a going to. The early cars don't have % display so you are kind of going blind towards the end of the battery.

Make sure the heating works as that's a very common fault on the early cars. It will take a while for the hot air to happen as a largish volume of coolant gets heated up. Above also takes quite a lot of energy.

Big question with this car is how easy will it be to sell on in 2-3 months without taking too much of a hit on the price ?

If you get it for €4k, you will lose little or nothing on it. In fact, you could speculate and keep it for a year or so, could be worth a few grand more. Remember soon everyone will want an EV and there will be very few cheap ones around. And no supply from abroad either as they are even more expensive in the UK than over here as the population is slightly ahead of the Irish population in terms of accepting that EVs are next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭sh81722

It's hard to say. The market is limited but it's there. Bargain hard with the seller and take your chances if the range suits your usage case. Just don't expect that it will do 120 km as the seller advertises as 120 km would have been the effective range when new. But they are nice and comfy cars with good space and good acceleration (the early cars are a bit nippier than the 2013-2017 model) and very cheap to run compared to anything else in the price range.

Edit: The 4k leaf is gone, did you buy it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,322 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Seemly that’s not true.

The plant have an extra day off in Chinese new year due to previous covid lock downs.

If you ordered a MY RWD it’s gona be early March anyway IMO.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

We didn't go for the leaf, the range was just that little bit too restrictive for us.

We have decided on just picking up something ICE locally and take our chances. As Gumbo said the Model Y's might not turn up (probably won't) until the start of March

I'm looking forward to comparing the Y to my 2022 M3

I appreciate everyone's input and help, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭Basilio

It’s probably a fair price but I’d prefer the smaller mileage on this one. €1,000 more expensive but there might be flexibility on the price as it’s on DD for 55 days.

https://www.donedeal.ie/view/32572629

2017 Hyundai Ioniq New NCT 01/25

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭zg3409

Categorised car means it was crashed before so beware. May be hard to insure and repaired badly. Will impact resale value.

Fair point, obviously depends on which category of repair it was and what the engineers report contains. Seller at least was honest enough to declare it. As always it’s a case of buyer beware as with any used car but especially with a private sale via the likes of DD.

It could have the best report in the world but if it’s a Cat car, it needs to be cheaper than all the rest of the non cat cars, not more expensive!

The day you buy it is the day you sell it. You won’t be able to trade it in as no garage will touch it.

Looks like the seller is a bit of a wheeler dealer. Eyes wide open for anyone looking.

Stay Free

What makes you suggest sellers status? Are you presuming second owner of the car has less information rather than smiley dealer.

This has to be the cheapest Model 3 on the island.

€34,488 (Revolut checked now).

No VAT, no VRT.

A trip up north with a mate. Maybe €100 on fuel and some tea/sambo.

Yes people will give out that it’s a 2019 Fremont car but if you want a refreshed 2021 model, you have to stump up more.

When you compare this to a Kona, eNiro or similar second hand at the same price, I think I’d have the Tesla every day

• Advertisement

Asking price and deal price often differ. Once I had Civic imported from Singapore. After googling, auction details showed car had 90.000kms less before It arrived to Ireland. After checking Car History it came to light vehicle was crashed in Ireland, so I replaced front condenser and other part to get AC going. Car was reliable along 7000 km round trip to Chroatia, Poland and back.

Placed it for sale and got a dealer from Dublin buying vehicle within a day. And what happened after? Car was advertised for €1000.00 more and no mention of repairs or original mileage.

Another vehicle was purchased from Dún Laoghaire dealer as a"Low mileage, no accident, deceased owners car". All fine but after bringing vehicle home it was discovered that vehicle had repairs to back bumper and a quarter panel. Dealer claimed car was never damaged and refused option of return.

Post edited by Basilio on

Seller also currently has a Skoda Citigo for sale. Likely it’s a trader of sorts rather than a private seller but that’s par for the course with a lot of cars on DoneDeal.

Yes, advertising Ctitigo as "owner emigrated". Selling many cars rises suspicion for me as well. That`s why I would not buy from a dealer unless it is a new car I can not get from a private seller.

Selling 2 cars doesn’t mean it’s an Arthur Daly equivalent. A lot of cars on Donedeal aren’t private sellers parting with their pride and joy. If the car is right and the price is right, I wouldn’t be too fussy about the vendor.

I suggest anyone advertising more than one car at a time outside of a legitimate dealership needs to be approached with extra caution. Aside from side-stepping their taxes, their operation as "private" sellers robs customers of their rights and should be reported, shut down and made to pay their way.

Not all "private sellers" are the same though. At one stage, I operated as one, but on a hobby level and never to profit from it. I bought, restored and sold a small number of grey imports to keep the cars on the road. Other "private sellers" always have a couple of motors for sale and avoid their legal obligations by operating as they do.

Your comment makes no sense at all. Buying from a dealer offers some protection and comeback. Buying from someone operating as a dealer, but pretending to be a private seller......let's just say one really needs to be extra careful. Owner emigrated is always a red flag for me, as it's an easy way to "explain" the different name on the VLC and get out of any awkward questions by pleading ignorance. I was looking at 316SE a few years ago. Seller claimed owner (his cousin) had returned to Canada a few weeks previous. Car was lovely, but I had a couple of questions the seller said he didn't know the answer to. Wouldn't call his cousin to get answers which set alarm bells off. I asked to see proof of a Canadian phone number and apparently his cousin didn't have a phone number yet 😂. Not a chance!

Dealers have a front door and while there are plenty of snake-oil car salesmen around, at least I have somewhere to go if there is an issue...as I have done in the past when I had problems with a 318 I bought from a garage in Dublin. They stood over it...probably made no money at the end of it tbh with having to fork out for 4 new boots (promised at time of purchase) and replacing most of the cooling system over several visits to a repair shop. Private seller would have long ditched his throw-away sim and left me to pay through the nose.

Stay Free

You're doing it wrong if you buy from a trader posing as a private seller. You're going to pay more than he paid for the car, so just look harder and find a better deal 😂 Be like that trader yourself! 😁

In a proper "private sale" there is also nearly always far more room for negotiation

Agree. You’re buying the car, not the seller.

There be times when I would have 2 cars for sale on DD, both ours or extended families.

One benefit with such incognito traders is they are able to get some good stock out of main dealers at really low trade prices. They often buy 5 or 6 cars together as a job lot. Some of them wouldn’t even know too much on the spec or trim levels of what they’re selling. You could also possibly trade in your old car to them but don’t expect much for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭Casati

They also buy from the trade without warranty, generally not an option open to private buyers

• Advertisement

Model S Performance, just €35k asking price. That's cheap for any old Model S, but for a Performance it's a bargain. This is my old car, the current owner put 4 new tyres on it and tidied the bodywork and kept it fully valeted. The car has had all the work done these cars get caught out on, including the high voltage battery replacement and all door handles and both front halogen bulbs. You might be put off by the 200k km on it, but there's no reason for it, these cars can do far higher mileage than similar combustion cars.

Advertisement