Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Case Review of Sophie Tuscan du Plantier murder to proceed. **Threadbans in OP**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭EdHoven

But according to Michael Sheridan Shirley, in her car, met Bailey and Jules Thomas, in their car, outside the police cordon on the road between 2.15-2.30 p.m. As we now know the rubbish dump closed at 1 p.m. so if she didn't bring the rubbish back, where did she take it? Would a nice English lady art teacher fly-tip in the bog? What was her hurry to dispose of whatever she had?

As to her abandoning the car with the rubbish in it, that is why Shirley needs to be asked under caution who loaded the rubbish and when. She may have unwittingly been disposing of evidence. If Alfie loaded it unseen by her but couldn't drive himself because of his hand that is even more suspicious.

I just want to know what happened to the rubbish. If Jules had set off that morning to Derryconnell with rubbish I'm sure it would be held up as proof of disposal of evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,038 ✭✭✭Deeec

Absolutely - very odd behaviour. She discovered a body and it would appear she just continued on with her day as planned! She showed no shock, fear or any emotion whatsoever after discovering her nearest neighbours murdered body. I know in that circumstances I would be in pieces and no way would I be able to continue with my mundane plans. I would also be very fearful that a killer was on the loose and I wouldn't be going anywhere on my own. Alfie showed no fear either - no concern shown for Shirley driving off to the supposed dump either. Strange behaviour from both of them. The Gardai were negligent allowing Shirley, the rubbish and the car leave the scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The circumstantial evidence against Bailey doesn't even stack up. Pretty much all of it has been rubbished by the DPP. There's a summary of it in the link below. Well worth a read.

How in the name of fcuk the French got enough evidence to convict Bailey is beyond me. It doesn't say much for the French justice system. By the way, I'm not saying Bailey didn't do it, I'm just saying that there's feckall proof of any sort that he did it.

But there was no time for the Gardai to rule out Alfie and Shirley as suspects. They couldn't have ruled them out within a few hours of the discovery of the body. The cause of death wasn't even established. They allowed Shirley drive her car off with a load of rubbish inside. How could they have possibly forensically checked the rubbish and the car - the answer is the Gardai didn't check - they couldn't have within that time frame. Shirley could have drove off with evidence concealed in the car. Its possible Alfie and Shirley knew the local Gardai were incompetent and took their chances. It's clear Shirley really needed to go somewhere that day. The dump is something that could have waited. The position of the body meant that they had to raise the alarm early that day and took their chances getting the car passed the body. They probably knew the local AGS wouldn't have a clue what to do - and let's face it they didn't know what procedures to follow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,243 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

People seem to think that because they don't know about what the Gardai did with Alfie and Shirley after the discovery then they have been some how overlooked in the whole investigation.

What if the rubbish was nothing more than paper and bottles, or food waste, or old furniture, or any sort of s""t that clearly even from a cursory glance was totally unrelated to the murder ?

What if some of it was of interest to the Gardai and they removed it, looked at it and decided it was of no interest at all.

The thing is we don't know.

And people use these don't knows to build some sort of narrative in their heads that comes to the conclusion that there is more evidence against Alfie and Shirley than against Bailey.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And people use these don't knows to build some sort of narrative in their heads that comes to the conclusion that there is more evidence against Alfie and Shirley than against Bailey.

There is nothing against Bailey apart from a few coincidental bits and pieces. The French were able to prosecute and convict Bailey on the basis of garda "evidence" (which if memory serves me wasn't provided to Bailey and his solicitor) . I believe they also used the "evidence" of Marie Farrell's statement which as we know was based on what AGS told her to say.

The very fact that the gardai failed to seal off the crime scene and allowed potential suspects drive off to a public dump immediately after finding the body shows that the investigation was off to a disastrous start.

Nobody here knows whether or not Alfie and Shirley were involved but they should have been regarded as potential suspects right from the start. You don't need special detective training to know that. However, for some reason the gardai decided to follow the line that Bailey was responsible despite having pretty much nothing to think so given that the DPP effectively told them this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭tinytobe

The question I would still have, suppose the Guards found credible new evidence, how are they going to use it? How would the case be prosecuted?

Suppose suspect A says, I have an alibi and was seen in the company of neighbour B or C, but both are now deceased? The thing is, it's quite probable that it won't be able to prove beyond reasonable doubt one way or the other. How can an alibi or a witness be cross examined on memory over a quarter of a century ago? ( I would be surprised if any of us would be able to exactly account for his/her movements on one specific evening or morning 25 years ago...) Same goes for items and evidence gone missing from the scene of the crime. Anybody accused now of the crime also won't be able to prove his/her innocence.

The guards might in the best case scenario be able to establish that another Frenchman was in the area, maybe a Mexican, maybe he or she was a producer as well, maybe he or she was renting a car and establish that beyond reasonable doubt, but I don't think they could go much further. Another stranger in town, travelling through SW Ireland, maybe a dodgy history, but that's it. It still won't prove murder even if he or she knew Sophie personally.

It's just too much time which elapsed in this case and credibility has been lost and I doubt that a fair trial is possible. Not considering how the Guards behaved, the Bandon tapes, the coercion and collusion in the investigation. ( Marie Farell, offering drugs to transients to get close to Bailey.... )

Come on - You cannot seriously think that allowing Shirley to drive off to the dump with a load of rubbish after the discovery of her neighbours body was in any way correct procedure. You think that the Gardai having a look at the rubbish and the car and then saying off you go Shirley was ok. Do you seriously think there was no need for the car or the rubbish to be examined forensically?

The case against Alfie and Shirley is as follows

1. They were the only known people in the vicinity of the murder scene

2. They were known to the victim and did have disputes in the past

3. Both displayed no emotion or upset upon the discovery of the body. They just wanted to continue with their day as normal. Behavioural experts would have a field day examining their strange behaviour on that day. Its definitely not how the majority of people would behave in the same circumstances. In present day this behaviour would be analysed and flagged as unusual.

4. Both say they heard nothing. Unusual given that it was such a quiet area and their house probably only had single glazing.

5. Sophie did not run in the direction of their house. In fact she was going in the opposite direction. Why didn't she try to run towards her neighbours and create noise to alert them. They would have been her only chance of getting to safety or frightening off her attacker.

6. Alfie and Shirley were made out to be a mild mannered retired couple in their early 60s - which is relatively young really. We now know Alfie was running a drugs operation and supplying locals. Hardly the actions of a nice little retired couple. There is alot more to Alfie and Shirley than first appearances. Its possible Someone knocked on the wrong house that night for their fix and all hell broke lose.

I think the answer to this murder does lie with Alfie and Shirley. They may have not being directly involved but they know more. I understand Shirley is now an old woman and I would love to see her interviewed before it's too late. She may reveal more now that Alfie is dead

We are all well aware that the DPP rejected the evidence against Bailey.

But evidence against anyone else was so poor that it didn't even get to the DPPs desk.

Yet people here think that there is more evidence against Alfie Lyons, based on nothing but their own imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can AGS send files on two entirely different suspects to the DPP's desk? Can you explain how that works? Because your post doesn't make any sense.

The DPP cannot direct the investigation. What was sent to the DPP was prepared by AGS who had tunnel vision about Bailey. There is so much evidence - very poor quality circumstantial evidence - because that's what AGS focused on. Including bribing criminals to try to get evidence on Bailey. Including putting pressure on other members of AGS to alter witness statements when Jules stood by evidence they didn't like on Bailey.

And we don't know exactly what shenanigans happened with Marie Farrell, but it was not above board.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement

Most of the evidence for Bailey is based on his strange behaviour. Alfie and Shirley equally behaved oddly but we're not treated as suspects.

Bailey had no motive - it's just peoples 'imaginations' as you say coming up with the theory that he walked for miles drunk to have sex with a stranger. How you can say this is plausible but the druggie next door neighbour having anything to do with it isn't a plausible theory is bizarre.

Bailey is a horrible man. The fact is though Alfie had more motive than Bailey. You have to be able to explore other theories.

Do you honestly believe Alfie and Shirley couldn't possibly be involved? Let's face it they were not salt of the earth people if they were involved in selling drugs.

Do you honestly believe Alfie and Shirley couldn't possibly be involved? Let's face it they were not salt of the earth people if they were involved in selling drugs.

I believe the Gardai investigated them and ruled them out.

You or I know nothing about the investigation or why they were ruled out, nor can we adjudicate on whether that was the correct course of action because we have very little details.

At the same time no.

But there has never been a file sent about Alfie and Shirley in all these years to the DPP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,716 ✭✭✭chooseusername

"But there has never been a file sent about Alfie and Shirley in all these years to the DPP."

"I believe the Gardai investigated them and ruled them out."

You're arguing with yourself.

No I'm not

I'm answering two different posters.

A file was never sent to the DPP about Alfie and Shirley because the Gardai long ago ruled them out.

This is where I strongly disagree. The team investigating this murder were incompetent from the start and right through - this is the main reason why this crime probably will never be solved. I have no faith that they investigated any other leads or suspects thoroughly at all. Given that we know they failed to secure the scene, bribed witnesses, ripped pages from notebooks, lost evidence, allegedly forged statements, the carry on with Marie Farrell, the carry on with the Bandon tapes I have no faith in them at all. In fact I think the local junior infants class would have done a better job than the gardai involved in this case.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Gussie Scrotch

In purely evidential terms, the facts that are in the public domain are far more incriminating to Alfie/Shirley than to Bailey.

Alfie and Sophie knew each other - no question. Whereas there is no evidence that Bailey and Sophie were associated in any way. Statistically, a murder victim is far more likley to be murdered by an associate than by a stranger.

Alfie and Shirley were definitely at the scene of the crime at the time. There is no evidence whatsoever which places Bailey there. Clearly, a person who is known to be at the scene of any crime is more likley, ststistically, to be involved than someone who, as far as can be ascertained, was not.

Alfie was in dispute with Sophie. That gives us plausible motive. The only motive Bailey could have had , realistically, was sexual. And there is no evidence of attempted sexual interference with Sophie.

Alfie's wounded hand carries at least as much weight, evidentially, as Bailey's scratches. The injury could not have been that old if it still required bandaging. And Jules and her daughters both confirmed Bailey's explanation.

The contention, on the part of Alfie and Shirley, that they heard nothing while a prolonged life and death struggle played out a hundred yards away on a still and silent night is questionable at least and should be a big red flag.

Shirly's visit to the dump is worthy of investigation. Nothing....nothing at all...should be permitted to be removed from the scene of a murder until the investigation is complete. This was a major failure by the Gardai. Furthermore, why Shirley felt such an urgent need to go to the dump in the circumstances is interesting. If Bailey's bonfire is incriminating, then Shirley's visit to the dump is, at least, equally so.

With regard to Bailey's mouthing off, I see that as being in character....he is an attention seeking narcissist. But I think it is far more typical for a murderer to keep his head down and his mouth shut. So I'm with the DPP on this.

Finally, one other small detail. Why did Alfie say he knocked on Sophies door, immediately after he had seen the body at the gate. I raise this as, to me, it would seem to be a cvonvenient way to head off any questions about fingerprints in that area. ( think the blood stain)

Now, I'm not proposing that Alfie did this. But I am saying that the circumstantial evidence, such as it is, is more indicative of Alfie being the perpetrator than Bailey.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Then AGS leak the name of the person who refused to provide the DNA sample, would suit the French right for their show trail of Bailey

Good post.

I'd just add Alfie's contradicting statements.

When Shirley got back to the house Alfie phoned the Gardaí, neither Alfie or the operator thought to call for medical assistance, so Alfie must have conveyed to the operator that Sophie was already dead. The operator told Alfie not to approach the body. The word murder was used in communications between Gardaí long before any Garda reached the scene. Yet Alfie's statement said he did not go within 20 yards of the victim. I'd say it would be hard to even see the body at 20 yards from either the lane or the lawn, never mind be able to tell she was dead, probably murdered.

Edited to add;

While I believe Alfie had no hand in the killing, he may have been indirectly involved, and knew more than he pretended.

Post edited by chooseusername on

One more thing, a big part of the Gardaí's case against Bailey was whether he knew Sophie or not, and who supplied this useful information? albeit with only 90% certainty. Ok. it was corroborated by his cannabis growing pal several years later. He 'remembered' the introduction when his growhouse was busted.

• Advertisement

I thought that about the door. Alfie managed to contaminate the door and Shirley went up through the field to contaminate that.

On a side point, in Jim Sheridan's doc Shirley's statement was read by a very simple sounding Irish country woman. Surely his factcheckers would know Shirley is an English art teacher from London. I'm not sure if that was an oversight or a deception. It gives a very misleading representation of the neighbours.

If they did contaminate the back door and field I don't think it was sinister.

The only interviews I've seen Shirley in is the French documentary, I know her voice is dubbed over, but you can still hear her voice and her accent is certainly not that of a simple sounding Irish country woman.

Murder in the jet-set, I think it's called

The guards didn't know Shirley herself wasn't the murderer. Yet they let her drive off. For all they knew she could have driven to the airport or port and left the country. It was incredibly lax. I bet the guards in Cork tonight aren't letting bags of rubbish or neighbours leave the vicinity of where the poor Brazilian woman was killed.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭flanna01

Lot of debate going on about the immediate aftermath regarding Sophie's murder..... The spot light is being well and truly shone on the antics of Alfie & Shirley Lyons....

Interesting...

But what about the significance of the expensive wine cast aside...???

For the people new to this thread, let me give you a quick update:

• An expensive bottle of wine was recovered in a field near the murder scene.
    • The brand of wine was not available for purchase in Ireland at the time - It was either brought into the Country by somebody visiting Ireland, or purchased from an airport.
    • The suggesting is, that the wine bottle was probably flung from a moving car into the ditch.
    • So the question presents itself - Who, and why would somebody throw an expensive bottle of wine into the grasslands?
    • 1) Possible the murderer who stole from Sophie's cottage after murdering her... Realises that the bottle is incriminating evidence and ditches it...??
    • 2) A potential love interest turned up unannounced, brought upmarket vino to present to Sophie, was rejected, lost the head, murdered her.... Sped off, threw the wine from the moving car....?
    • The bottle of wine has to be relevant.... The chances of it not being connected to Sophie are ridiculous..
    • How did an unopened, expensive bottle of French wine (not available for sale in Ireland), end up in a field on the road to / from, Sophie's cottage??? This is totally unexplained, and appears to have been brushed under the carpet.

Didn't AGS "lose" that as well as the gate?

I think Sophie bought wine in Schull so if she brought this expensive wine with her my guess it would be a present. Well it couldn't be for Alfie and Shirley as according to them they didn't meet her in the 3 days she was there. My hunch would be it was for the Ungerers. But if she did take it to their place on Sunday, how did it end up back at Dreenane?

Maybe if Sophie was upstairs in bed and had left open the back door someone used to prowling in the house came in and lifted it. Perhaps she heard sounds downstairs, laced her boots and set off after them.

It is hard to imagine a scenario not having Sophie as the origin of the bottle. Unless the murderer brought it with them which would indicate someone pretty wealthy living nearby with expensive tastes and connections to France or a stalking ex. Either way they might seek to impress Sophie with this wine. But then the question is where they invited or turn up on spec?

How did an unopened, expensive bottle of French wine (not available for sale in Ireland), end up in a field on the road to / from, Sophie's cottage??? This is totally unexplained, and appears to have been brushed under the carpet.

But does it even exist, did it ever even exist ?

Any online search will all end up with some crime writer who claims that one prison inmate revealed it's existence to another back in the early 2000s

Didn't AGS "lose" that as well as the gate?

My understanding is that they didn't lose the gate.

It was processed for evidence, and any evidence off it was gathered.

It was then offered back to Sophie's family as is the procedure as it was their property.

They didn't want it so it was destroyed, again as per procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,137 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Procedure is for AGS to keep track of evidence. During the GSOC investigation, AGS didn't know what happened to the gate. It was "lost" track of in that sense to that particular entity

The wine bottle appears to have been completely lost by all authorities.

The GSOC report states that in 2013 its investigators received documentation from the gardaí which outlined an extensive list of significant documents — including witness statements and 22 exhibits — that can no longer be located. These include a blood-spattered gate taken from close to where Ms Du Plantier’s body was found; a French wine bottle discovered in a field next to the murder scene; and a black overcoat belonging to Ian Bailey.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-30859712.html

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭champchamp

Except for the two! seperate French guys living in the region in fear of their lives from French criminal gangs, both of whom Sophie is supposed to have met at some point in Ireland (according to the newspaper article I linked earlier).

Maybe one of these guys was the source of the bottle.

The shambles of the garda investigation aside, there were also some very "unusual" characters living in the area - most of our discussions (and media) focus on Bailey and Sophie's neighbours, I would love to see the Garda file on this and see how many people were properly investigated (these two French guys, the German who took his own life, the "randy" garda, the Ungerers, Alphie & Sophie, the other neighbours, the housekeeper, the mystery French speaking non-French guy and any number of other strangers that we probably never heard of...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭pauly58

Is it correct that her diary is missing ?

Advertisement