Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster vs Connacht Jan 1st 2023 7.35 RTE2

Options
  • 01-01-2023 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

Leinster: Jimmy O'Brien; Jordan Larmour, Liam Turner, Charlie Ngatai, Rob Russell; Johnny Sexton, Jamison Gibson Park; Michael Milne, Rónan Kelleher, Michael Ala'alatoa; Brian Deeny, James Ryan; Ryan Baird, Josh van der Flier, Caelan Doris.

Replacements: John McKee, Marcus Hanan, Vakhtang Abdaladze, Alex Soroka, Scott Penny, Cormac Foley, Harry Byrne, Jamie Osborne

Connacht: Tiernan O'Halloran; Diarmuid Kilgallen, Tom Farrell, David Hawkshaw, John Porch; Jack Carty, Caolin Blade; Peter Dooley, Dave Heffernan, Dominic Robertson-McCoy, Darragh Murray, Niall Murray, Cian Prendergast, Shamus Hurley-Langton, Jarrad Butler.

Replacements: Shane Delahunt, Denis Buckley, Sam Illo, Oisin Dowling, Conor Oliver, Kieran Marmion, Tom Daly, Byron Ralston

Referee: Eoghan Cross (IRFU)

The sentiment of boardies is this will end up as a facile win for Leinster. And Connacht don't have much form going into this game to suggest it will be anything else.

But that said the -20 betting odds I think are a bit unfair. Connacht always come to the RDS to play. They are are not just going to sit down and rollover. It's my belief that this game will be a lot closer than many expect.

So where will the game be won and lost. I guess most would agree the Irish 9 and 10 combo and the further Irish 6,7,8 plus Jimmy O'Brien at full back should offer enough class to do the business.

But my take is that outside these players there is a degree of inexperience that may be an Achilles heel for Leinster.

So let's hope for a competitive, enjoyable game and happy new year to everyone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

Leinster by 25+

If Connacht can playa holding game like Leinster so professionally do and pick off their opponents on the break, and or build phases, they can keep themselves in the game. I doubt they can do that though.

400+

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Porter onto the bench as a late replacement for Hanan. Porter loves a try against Connacht.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Way too easy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

Kelleher getting cleaned out in the lineouts, 3 lost. Doesn’t look great when he is trying to get back up to Sheehans level.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Quality lineout defence from Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

4 lineouts in a row lost

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

If Leinster had a lineout this game would be over already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Murray brothers destroying Leinster lineout stats. Jack stop kicking possession away

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,472 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Baird likes going in a bit late on the 10

Poor communication from VDF and Sexton. Didn't look like they knew who was making the defensive hit.

Commentator on Premier Sports being very generous when he said Carty opted bit to go for touch from the free kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭A-Train

What a try

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Slice of luck there, but super work from Larmour, deserved that score there.

Nice to have tonight's w@nk sorted so early.

Big fan of Cian Prendergast, but he was directly responsible for that second Leinster try. There was no need for him to hit that ruck on Leinster's line. He vacated the pillar spot and allowed Deeny the space to pick and go unopposed.

Jacks kicking is destroying us. You can't just give the ball to Leinster and wonder why you are losing

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

Leinster won't be using that call again

Good Connacht try, enjoyable game so far

• Advertisement

Very unimpressive performance from Leinster so far.

Lineout has malfunctioned badly and Sexton been responsible for mistakes that he would chew out any other player for.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gibson-Park taken out of it about 3 meters in front of the referee by a shoulder charge, preventing him making a tackle but try allowed to stand ?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,341 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Carty place kicking stats for the season are at 60%. That’s nowhere near good enough.

Badly missing Ringrose. Connacht have found some joy in their passing game and the 13 would snuff out so much of that.

Tom Daly to be introduced at outhalf and my 2023 starts off well. Hawkshaw is a really good centre so leave him there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Think JGP making a meal out of it made it easy for the ref to wave it away. Should have been at least reviewed IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Joma4good

Anyone else watching on via play lost picture audio only for last 15 mins 😤?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,473 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

True and I was wrong in my original assessment of 3 meters in front of the ref it was half that and he’s looking right at it, bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Bizarre half. Leinster keep threatening to tear them apart then instantly shoot themselves in the foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

JGP wasn't stopping that try, at least from my first viewing, so I don't have too much of a problem with it not being looked at.

Advertisement