Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30k speed limits for all urban areas on the way

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭almostover

These numbers should really be reported on a per capita basis or as a percentage of the number of road users. The statistics are purposely chosen to grab headlines. It's difficult to know if the true incidence of road deaths relative to road use has actually increased. Our population is growing and I'm guessing the number of cars on the road has too. So this statistic may or may not mean that driving in Ireland became more dangerous in 2022. It's drivel by the RSA, they need to be outputting better statistics.

You have to question the sanity of the country when we start comparing road deaths to a year when we were in full on lockdown for 6 months...

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Do you know what an academic exercise is? Can you explain in the event of enforcement by either a speed check or the aftermath of a collusion, the 30km/h speed limit would remain irrelevant to real life and of no real consequence on how things proceed if you were in excess of that by 50+%.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

No. They are still ignoring the speed limit and driving at a speed they have decided suits the conditions. There is no way around that point regardless semantics. They may not beignoring the conditions but they definitely are ignoring the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

Jesus wept. The impression I've got from your previous posting that I've seen is that you seem to be well informed about road safety issues. I'm not going to go digging for examples but I would have thought you'd be aware that it is well demonstrated that most drivers (not all) respond to both speed limits and road conditions. Given identical road conditions, putting an 80 sign up will result in faster average speeds than if a 50 sign were in place. Most drivers do not ignore speed limit signs. They may not comply with them (90%+ break speed limits regularly) but they do adjust their speed based on the posted speed limits.

If drivers react to signs by reducing their speed then they are clearly not ignoring the signs. Again, not complying with them is not the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its not 50 km/h zones in urban areas that are killing and injuring people, its 80 and 100 ones.

There will be no mass roll out of urban 30 km/h in Ireland. It just won't be accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

People said exactly the same about the drink driving laws, smoking ban and charges for shopping bags. People also said that all the newly constructed cycle lanes would be ripped up once Covid was largely over. It turns out that Irish people are not as resistant to positive social change as you think. Don’t mistake your opinion for everyone’s opinion.

It’s not so very long ago some people were insisting that it was absolutely fine to go to the pub, have a rake of pints and drive home. There’s no one out walking at night, I know the roads, I drive extra carefully when I’ve had a few, it’s harmless, everyone is doing it, blah blah blah. Everyone was sure that the government wouldn’t do it, the guards wouldn’t enforce it and it would be completely ignored. Thankfully now that daft practice is largely gone. It was the same wrong arguments then as it is now and we’ll look back in a few years and wonder why we ever allowed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,492 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Just like the road works and diversions in Fairview that will definitely be removed by 1st September 2022?

I mean, even by the law of averages you should be right the odd time but alas you're incorrect again.

As an example, the roads in the pink areas below are 30k in Dublin

I expect to see something coming at the national level soon where areas will be 30k by default and councils will have to apply for exceptions.

Too many councils acting the maggot so soon enough the decision will be taken out of their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Apart from all the 'exceptions' in blue you mean?!

Dublin City Council have been thwarted on multiple occasions now, trying to make those 50 km/h main routes into 30. They have failed because the people's elected representatives would not pass a bye-law to enact them, having seen mass resistance to them in the public consultations.

There is no problem with 30 km/h limits in laneways and residential cul-de-sacs and all that noble stuff, but as I said, the mass rollout of blanket 30 km/h limits will not be accepted. Not on those main routes that the Council have already been seen off from trying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭SeanW

Drink driving laws, smoking bans etc all had reasons. 30kph limits have zero reason. They would serve no purpose except to waste people's time and fuel. Irish road safety, fuel efficiency data etc. show that plainly. As to the map of Dublin with the roads in the pink area supposedly being 30kph, that is only true of the side streets. The main arterial routes are still 50kph except for one which is still 60kph, these can be seen in blue and green.

DCC wanted to put 30kph limits on everything but they had to have a public consultation first and they quickly found out that nobody wanted them except radical activists.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,344 ✭✭✭markpb

When the drunk driving laws were proposed, said there was no need, it wasn’t a problem, people were driving carefully, it would kill both the pub trade and rural Ireland and cause terrible isolation for old people. There was violent opposition to it and the introduction took several years of gradual changes.

When the smoking ban was proposed, people said there was no need, it wasn’t causing any harm, there was a non-smoking section for non-smokers, it would kill the pub trade (again). There was so much opposition that the government had to create a department with a team to visit workplaces and check for compliance. Numerous pubs were served with enforcement orders until they started to toe the line.

It’s easy to look back now and assume these were popular or obvious changes but they absolutely were not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That or the other commonly accepted metric of deaths per billion km travelled.

Ireland recorded the second-lowest rate of deaths on the roads in the EU, latest stats from 2019 show.

The RSA reported that 140 people lost their lives on Irish roads in 2019, this rose to 148 fatalities in 2020, provisional RSA statistics show.

Ireland recorded 29 deaths per million inhabitants in 2019, second only to Sweden’s rate of 22 deaths per million people.

The anti-car brigade are a right shower of liars and disinformers. As I said earlier, we desperately need 30kph limits outside of every school because...? I actually haven't a problem with it, but it's going to cost a bit to impliment and enforce for likely no measurable benefit. At least do it the way it's done in some bits of Oz where the limit only applies during actual school time and the half hour either side.

On deaths per distance travelled, Ireland does exceptionally well:

Some people have an agenda and like to exagerate the 'problem' and resort to emotive stuff like think of the children and imply Irish motorists are terrible and that the death rate is unacceptibly high, but neither of these is the case.

The Irish death rate of 3.8 people per billion km driven isn't going to budge due to a 30kph speed limit outside schools. I have spent more than a decade dropping my kids off at school and picking them up again and there is no speed problem outside the schools as there are usually so many parents parked up doing the same thing that traffic does 30kph or less anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Stephen_Maturin

The because the RSA have to continuously scaremonger about our roads in order to justify their existence. Any nuance be damned.

It doesn’t matter that we already have some of the safest roads in Europe (and by extension the world) - when you’re dealing with ideologues reality is irrelevant

Why don't you let your kids cycle to school instead of driving them there and back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

Drink driving and the smoking ban have helped kill the pub trade though.

Not the only factors but certainly contributing.

Over 20% of pubs gone since 2005.

I know of countless small villages which are now just a collection of houses, pubs, shops, butchers, post offices all gone.

If most vehicles are doing under 30 kmph at schools, surely there is no problem about implementing a 30 kmph limit then?

Is there a need for 30 kph speed limits around schools at 11PM on a Sunday night?

If the poster has to drive their children to school it's because the schools is either too far away to walk or because there is no bus system. Even the US which gets flak for being car-dependent has figured this out: education is a municipal matter there and it's very easy to plan school transport around that. Ireland's education system is, in places, a little more haphazard.

You are making a big assumption there. Many parents drop kids off on their way to work not because of the distance or bus availability. Furthermore, kids tend not to cycle because the parents don't let them because the perception is that it isn't safe to cycle.

Now, maybe @cnocbui would like to answer my question themself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

No I wouldn't. None of your business. But I will say that in all the years my kids went to schools with many hundreds of students, only one child cycled and that was in the senior years of the secondary school.

It's interesting that you think those are the only two reasons kids are driven to school given what we know about abnormally high number of short journeys being completed by car in Ireland and the data about the deterrent effect of car dominance on walking and cycling.

My local primary school has kids driven to school from 500-800m away, by parents who themselves walked to school along the same roads, purely because they don't feel the roads are safe for their kids to walk or cycle on. It becomes self-perpetuating. Because they are driving they increase the traffic volumes and more parents feel compelled to drive.

A country can reduce their deaths per billion km travelled by making their roads safer so that people feel comfortable choosing to walk or bike short journeys, or by making the roads so hostile for road users outside cars that they drastically reduce the number of journeys taken outside cars in comparison to other countries. If there are fewer people travelling on foot or by bike, and instead you have created a situation where you have one of the worst stats in Europe for short journeys being undertaken in cars, then there are fewer vulnerable road users to be killed because so many have been disincentivised from travelling other than inside motorised vehicles.

It's not my analogy, but Ireland trumpeting death stats in isolation, and using that as a basis for claiming our roads are safe, is the equivalent of a swimming pool claiming that it has an excellent safety record without mentioning that it is because it is full of sharks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,858 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Easy to talk about what we can do, but if we have no enforcement, its all pointless.

Schools were built with no proper cycling infrastructure, the solution now is to reduce speed which is not a solution but more a bandage.

Family life was alot different back then, we were poorer and both parents didnt always work.

Funnily enough it was a thing for families to hire a mini bus to the beach and over crow it, how dangerous it was but great Craic.

Results from a study in Edinburgh where 20mph (30k) was rolled out without enforcement, just signage

But how many of our road deaths were in a urban area?

Percentages dont count, its actual numbers we need

All the details you want are available at the link below

Here's a sample, loads more at the link depending on what you want

• Advertisement

Many good and not-so-good points raised, a lot to unpack:

@cnocbui the rate has actually fallen to 3.3 fatalities per billion kilometres driven, which is over 303 million km between fatalities. And the data showing this only covered 2016-2018, things have improved even since.

https://etsc.eu/14th-annual-road-safety-performance-index-pin-report/

@Unrealistic as someone who grew up using school buses, I consider it frankly to be normal. So when I hear someone complaining about someone else driving their children to school, my first thought is always "why are they not taking the school bus" but that's partly because I spent some time in places where education is a municipal matter and planned more thoroughly, where as such school transport is simply not a problem. As to your locality, obviously I don't know it but the only reason someone should not walk a short distance is if there are no footpaths on the roads. In that case, the route was never suitable for walking in the first instance and you should be looking for your local authority to put a footpath if you are unduly concerned about the matter.

@Seth Brundle anyone claiming that Ireland in the 1980s was some kind of lost garden of Eden is not to be taken seriously. That includes both you and the two tweeters you referenced. Back then most people were broke and poor, anyone who had any "get up and go" got up and left. It's understandable that there were fewer cars when Ireland was a priest-ridden third world hellhole with fewer people and nobody had any money or anywhere to go. Yet in spite of all of this there were still 387 fatalities in 1986 and 478 in 1990 (your sources' reference years) as opposed to 155 last year.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_road_traffic_accidents_deaths_in_the_Republic_of_Ireland_by_year

@[Deleted User] your own data indicate that there were only 30 fatalities across urban areas in Ireland in 2021 - and that this was less than 1/4th of the total. That puts the kybosh on the whole "road safety" argument, don't you think?

That you deem the deaths of 30 people an acceptable cost to allow you to continue drive at 50k is an issue for you to resolve with your own morals

In the meantime Galway City Council approve move to send 30k limits proposal to public consultation as some councillors felt it didn't go far enough.

These fatalities are not the responsibility of Irelands' 2.8 million motorists, the vast majority of whom will never even be involved in such an incident, let alone the cause of one. The only people responsible for those incidents are those who cause them. No-one else.

I do not consider it appropriate to punish 2.8 million people for the actions of 30. If you do, it is you who has the moral issue.

Victim blaming is a rather silly position to take

Do you know which drivers will be responsible for the fatalities in urban areas in 2023 or 2024...?

If you dont, then how would you suggest curtailing the risks from the 30 or so this year without curtailing the 2.8 million? The answer is that you can't because your talking bo11ocks!

@Seth Brundle anyone claiming that Ireland in the 1980s was some kind of lost garden of Eden is not to be taken seriously. That includes both you and the two tweeters you referenced. Back then most people were broke and poor, anyone who had any "get up and go" got up and left. It's understandable that there were fewer cars when Ireland was a priest-ridden third world hellhole with fewer people and nobody had any money or anywhere to go. Yet in spite of all of this there were still 387 fatalities in 1986 and 478 in 1990 (your sources' reference years) as opposed to 155 last year.

I didn't claim anything like that. However the stats show that we have car centric planning in Ireland. This is why we've allowed a culture of long commutes. This is why we have always had poor alternatives. This is why those alternatives have reduced as an option over the last few decades. Most parents won't let their kids cycle to school simply because of the road safety aspect. It has nothing to donwith poverty in the 80s, paedo priests or any of your other lame excuses.

• Advertisement

Firstly how do either of you know that only motorists will cause fatal incidents? According to RSA research, up to 70% of pedestrian-motorist collisions are caused by pedestrians, not motorists. https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/about/pedestrian-fatalities-on-irish-roads-2008-2015.pdf?Status=Master&sfvrsn=cb71b3df_3

You obviously believe in collectively punishing 2.8 million people for the actions of a trivial number so the moral issue is yours.

As to your nonsense about the economic situation in Ireland having nothing to do with the lack of car ownership in Ireland in the 1980s, that is just so far at variance with reality that it beggars belief. Simply put, people tend not to own cars when they live in a third world country and are unemployed (or working for very low wages), broke and poor. And Ireland was exactly that.

Claiming that people bought cars post 1990 because of "car centric planning" is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has even the most cursory understanding of Irish history, but it does correlate well with the generally fact-free basis for demands for time and fuel wasting lunacy like 30kph limits.

Firstly how do either of you know that only motorists will cause fatal incidents? According to RSA research, up to 70% of pedestrian-motorist collisions are caused by pedestrians, not motorists. https://www.rsa.ie/docs/default-source/about/pedestrian-fatalities-on-irish-roads-2008-2015.pdf?Status=Master&sfvrsn=cb71b3df_3

You obviously believe in collectively punishing 2.8 million people for the actions of a trivial number so the moral issue is yours.

Fine, I'll correct my post to to this:

Do you know which people will be responsible for the fatalities in urban areas in 2023 or 2024...?

If you dont, then how would you suggest curtailing the risks from the 30 or so people this year without curtailing the 2.8 million? The answer is that you can't because your talking bo11ocks!

As to your nonsense about the economic situation in Ireland having nothing to do with the lack of car ownership in Ireland in the 1980s, that is just so far at variance with reality that it beggars belief. Simply put, people tend not to own cars when they live in a third world country and are unemployed (or working for very low wages), broke and poor. And Ireland was exactly that.

Claiming that people bought cars post 1990 because of "car centric planning" is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who has even the most cursory understanding of Irish history, but it does correlate well with the generally fact-free basis for demands for time and fuel wasting lunacy like 30kph limits.

You keep repeating that I'm denying that we bought cars for economic reasons. I didn't say that at all. What I said was that we have a car centric culture in this country which has encouraged a huge rise in one off housing, it has encouraged long commutes to urban areas, mainly by car. We built more roads and we built wider roads. This simply encouraged more cars onto them. We failed to invest in public transport to the same extent. Our rail lines became fewer, rather than increased since the '80s.

The increase in the number of people driving on our now congested roads means that most parents won't let their kids to walk or cycle to school and many will instead drive them there. It has been factors such as these which have led to a reductioin in the number of people travelling by bike (which is what the original stats I posted showed).

Of course economics comes into whether or not someone can afford a car and as I've already said, I didn't say this wasn't the case. But why someone chooses to buy a car and doesn't choose to travel predonimantly by bus, bike or walk is down to the infrastructure we have put in place. Since the 80s we the number of people driving has massively whilst the numbers cycling has massively decreased. they are directly related and it isn't because of economics.

Oh and I'll finish with this: a speed limit reduction is not a punishment so cop on to yourself. If a speed limit were to change it is to suit vulnerable people not capable of travelling at those speeds. Similarly, speed ramps are not a punishment to the driving population, pedestrian lights installed along a busy road aren't a punishment to the driving population and so on. It is not a punishment except to those who deliberately want to see it that way! Roads are for many users, not just a few.

It's really simple: any comparison between Ireland in 1986/1990 and Ireland in for example the 2010s is an "apples to oranges" comparison because it's effectively a comparison between a third world backwater and a modern, developed country. People were broke and poor in the 1980s so they had to plan their lives around having limited access to cars, and they did so. Your own tweeter, Adam Connaughton made the point clear: "This directly correlates to the increase in car ownership." ... and the proceeded to show a chart showing that Irish people bought more cars in the years after 1990, which he regards as supposedly only down to "car centric planning". This makes no sense.

As to my supposed moral issue with 30 people losing their lives per year in built up areas, could someone please explain how 50kph limits caused this crash? Because when you look at serious accidents in this country, you find that they are caused by individuals doing dumb stuff, and a very small number at that. As to the supposed "issue for you to resolve with your own morals" I sleep very well knowing that I don't support people doing things like this, and that like 99.7%+ other motorists in this country, have not and will likely never be involved in, let alone the cause of a fatal incident of any description.

As to 30kph limits being like speed bumps or pedestrian traffic lights this is also BS. The last two measures are local measures put in place to deal with a specific local issue, and are in most cases easy to understand in rationale. Advocates of 30 kph limits want to blanket entire regions with them like DCC wanted to do with its "Love 30" consultation. And the only rationale for such ridiculously broad applications can be punitive, since the fuel efficiency and road safety data for blanket 30kph limits do not exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Roadhawk

Just reading some of the comments here and really cant hold this one in...since circa 2018-2019 the 30km has just barffed all over Dublin causing mayhem on main roads (perfectly acceptable on smaller residential estates). I have my own opinions on why the 30km limit implemented the way it was with so called "public consultation"...

Needs to be called out...the road deaths per year are not dropping with the 30km limit (even with less vehicle usage during Covid19 lockdowns etc)...There is no use to a 30km limit...it was a tick box exercise with no result.

With zero enforcement no other result is possible.

Cover the gaff in speed cameras and watch compliance sky rocket

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

30km/h on 'main' roads? which ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Qŵèrþÿ

I’m 31.

Me, my mam and my sister and my aunty and cousin walked to school from the get go. When I turned 9, we all went without my mam and aunty.

I cycled my bike and my sister and cousin walked together.

I continued this habit until I finished secondary school in 2008.

My female friends in secondary school never cycled, their excuse was the uniform, but that’s going off topic now.

Councillor Lourda Scott put forward a motion at the October meeting, which received the backing of all councillors. Cllr Scott’s motion was as follows: “that Greystones Municipal District supports the implementation of 30km/h speed limits, or periodic 30km/h zones, around all schools within the district in order to encourage more walking and cycling to school, reduce air and noise pollution, and reduce the severity of injury should any collisions occur”.

Not sure how feasible periodic speed limits are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

And how is this to be funded? Its at least €3,500 per periodic speed limit sign with a minimum of 2 signs per school, with approx 110 schools in Co. Wicklow that's going to be about €750,000. Am I right in thinking all schools in Co. Kilkenny already have periodic speed limit zones around their schools and have had them for quite some time so the precedent has already been set?

https://maps.app.goo.gl/8RW7CkofyyBMyNxE6 - Church Hill NS

https://maps.app.goo.gl/upQs5J3XWGbTRnyu7 - Gowran

https://maps.app.goo.gl/FApMP681F9BbBKnv8 - Paulstown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

€750k doesn't sound like a lot to cover 110 schools, based on one pedestrian crossing costing €200k:

Something I hadn't spotted previously, but the RSA & Dept of Transport has (or will have) a group working on a 30kph default speed limit in urban areas

Q4 2022 was when it was to be established, no clue on when it's supposed to publish anything

This initiative is connected to United Nations Agenda 21 and the Sustainable Development Goals. Mostly designed to limit the number of cars on the road in general, but especially in urban and city areas. Basically, by limiting the speed to 30k, a lot of people will find it too limiting and frustrating, so will give up the car altogether. It is hoped people will be encouraged away from private car use and ownership, and move onto public transport and bicycles instead.

There's NGOs dedicated to this. '20's Plenty For Us' in the UK, and 'Love 30' for countries like Ireland dealing in km/h. I've seen some of their people commenting on local community message boards about how great it will be for the environment, how going 30k actually results in traffic moving faster etc etc, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭User142

Driving in urban Ireland, doing temporary stints at 50-60km/h before sitting in queues at junctions, waiting for large enough breaks in other 50-60km/h traffic is so relaxing. There's be nothing more frustrating when traffic is moving slower and you need a smaller gap on roundabouts and junctions to get out. It would ruin the average motorists day so much they'd buy a bus ticket.

Is there a need to drive at more than 30 kph around schools at 11pm on a Sunday night?

• Advertisement
Advertisement