Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating systems

Options
  • 28-12-2022 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

We are looking to buy our first house in Dublin and we are not quite sure of all the various aspects to look out for.

Regarding the heating system in a house for example there is a house we are looking at, built c. 2001, and it says in the ad it has a "Hot press with dual immersion". No further information is given.

What do you make of this? Would you require additional info? What are the pros and cons of this system?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 DJ5831

Duel immersion could mean separate switches for sink/bath, or it could mean that you have your electric heating element in the hot water cylinder but also the water is heated whenever your central heating is turned on.

I'd be far more concerned about what the central heating is - in a 2001 property it's most likely an oil-fired boiler with rads or maybe underfloor heating on the downstairs. Oil heating + electric immersion would be pretty standard for the year, you could also have a system that has a loop of pipe through a standard living room stove to heat the water.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭DUBLINIRL

Thanks. If the central heating system was oil fired boiler with rads what would concern you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

Not if it was priced accordingly.

Does the property have a BER, you should be able to get an idea from that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

If its oil fired i would be checking condition of tank metal or plastic , any service history on boiler and they run hot as the heat off rads WOW.

Single glazed , double / treble glazed and insulated ?

Is it worth getting an inspector to check out house for issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Mine is dual; electric and a back boiler off the solid fuel stove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Not directly related, but I just wanted to say that I value your posts and enjoy your perspective. You often get a bit of stick on here, so I thought I'd say this.

Most of the houses we are looking at range from C3 to D2. What would that tell you? Thanks.

I think all the tanks I've seen in the gardens have been plastic and we are looking at 3 bed semis in Dublin so almost all have an oil tank out the back.

The windows are usually in less than ideal condition from what we have seen so far but that would be another issue.

You would recommend requesting a service history of the boiler from the sales agent prior to bidding?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,830 ✭✭✭Alkers

These are different houses to the one you mentioned earlier? I'm not too sure what your query is anymore, you were talking about an ofch house earlier. If that house has a c3 / D2 rating it wouldn't put me off buying it. I'd live in it for a few months then look to upgrade airtightness and insulatuon and personally I would upgrade to a gas combi boiler. I can't see economic sense in heat pumps currently, particularly for retrofits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭greasepalm

Might be an idea as most people moving into a new home deside to gut it and to upgrade.

Giving an idea on how much the needs are on heat and if windows need upgrading.

• Advertisement

I think I'm looking for for a guide that goes into the pros and cons and potential pitfalls when buying a second hand house of each system as I don't have all the answers or even all the questions.

Advertisement