Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Star Trek thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,784 ✭✭✭Evade

They'd have to be the Jurati volunteer collective in the series, it'd be very hard to have your protagonist violently assaulting innocent people every week.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

In some ways that kinda proves the point. They keep asking fire lit for a show I genuinely don't believe anyone outside of Paramount actually wants.

Makes you wonder what other concepts are in development there we don't know a out. Presumably they have something ready to replace Picard when it's done, for instance

• Registered Users Posts: 3,873 ✭✭✭Rawr

I suspect these are shows no-one outside of Secret Hideout actually wants. Could be that their deal with Paramount requires a certain amount of material in the pipeline. I'm guessing the S31 show could only function so long in that role before they needed something new "in developement" to replace it.

This Borg show idea does reek of being a similar project to Section 31. No-one asked for it, no-one really wants it, but Kurtzman's people are probably going threaten us with it for years, like they did with S31. As far as a "Borg Show" is concerned, didn't we already get that? Following Season 4, Voyager essentially became the "Borg Show" with a Borg crew member and the Borg Queen setup as Janeway's arch-nemisis. They even ended the show with the Borg.

We really don't need a Borg Show.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah maybe all these stories are just concept spitballs to Paramount executives to keep them satisfied that Secret Hideout are workshopping ideas and future shows. Keep the bosses happy, knowing half these ideas won't go past the Idea Stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭JayRoc

I will die on this hill: The Borg were one of the greatest fictional "Villains" ever.

The concept was utterly terrifying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

No just no. Leave the Borg alone. Voyager done enough damage to there reputation as it is. I hope this so called Borg show never sees the light of day.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Classic Borg rank right up there in my mind as some of the best Sci-Fi horror monsters you can think of. I still remember vivid Borg nightmares from when I was younger. We peaked with First Contact and alas...I think you could only ever go so far before you ruin it.

It's kind of like Doctor Who over using the Daleks. In breif bursts they were a classic, truly dangerous villain who were (for their time) the stuff that would also fighten kids. Then they went and over used them, and the trouble is; The Doctor has to win, and defeating them so very often like that serisously defangs them as a threat.

I think the same happened with the Borg. Breif bursts like with BoBW or even Scorpion let them remain a dangerous monolithic threat. But being defeated so often as a Monster of the Week, defanged them just as badly as the BBC's Evil Pepper-pots.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,984 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I was going to make a joke that at least they'd only have one character to focus on but they abandoned even that aspect of the Borg early on with the Queen and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,945 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I was actually scared of them for a few years. Staying awake to watch the TNG repeat on weekdays did have its disadvantages.

In general about this Borg series I'm going to bring it up for probably the fifth or sixth time on this forum, they need an anthology series. A Borg-centric feature length episode could work, as could a Section 31, or any of a dozen other out there ideas that wouldn't carry a series. Unless they're striking them immediately they're building up a decent library of sets and other assets to make that kind of thing a less costly prospect.

• Advertisement

There were those short episodes aired around Discovery season 2 or 3, a little anthology of stories from unrelated crews and characters - so there already is precedent for a show.

And Discovery itself was supposed to be an anthology show.

Oh god yeah of course, totally forgot that. Bryan Fuller n all. Wonder will we ever know what format the stories had In another universe...

The show would have been even darker, literally, cos according to Discovery the alt universe have more sensitive eyes lol 🤭🤣

That eyes thing makes so little sense it's crazy. Takes a seriously useless writer to think that up.

Also seemed very much forgotten for Empress Hitler Girlboss in season 2. Must have been a temporal change to the universe we didn't see like Rikers disappeared telepathic abilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,274 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I dont think I ever got past season 2 myself

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 12,423 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

If he had said RIP Discovery. It have made sense.

But you're right. He completely wrong. Trek has not been in this strong position in years. Discovery, Picard, Strange New Worlds, Lower Decks, Prodigy and more on the way.

All Eyes On Rafah

There are three critical and viewer lauded Trek shows (I think Prodigy has reviewed well?), Hardly a franchise in its death throes.

I think it might be that Rotten Tomatoes or "professional" critics that are dying out. Professional reviews for Lower Decks Season 1 - 47 (apt), season 2 -15, and season 3 - 5. For Picard season 1 - 254 , and season 2 - 94. From a non Star Trek series Jack Ryan Season 1 - 85 , season 2 - 27 , season 3 - 12. All three series took a pretty steep dive.

I think that's just down to the reality it's increasingly difficult for outlets to dedicate time to critically review every show, for every season. There are now four major streaming networks globally, more if we stick with the US.

I've noted how some of my usual outlets just drop a show for per-episode coverage - even otherwise lauded ones - out of nowhere and I think it's to give their journos the newer shows to cover. Including Discovery, which had episodic articles through season 3 but not season 4 IIRC.

Conversely those same outlets never bothered to cover shows like For All Mankind, which is the opposite problem of a good series that didn't get the professional coverage it deserved.

• Advertisement

Does anyone actually use Rotten Tomatoes anymore other than to "prove" their preconceptions.

I gave up trusting those kinds of sites way back. Wasn't it The Dark Knight that was the top ranking movie of all time on IMDB before it even came out.

I think the drop off is too steep for too many series to be the reason, I don't think four times as many series were being released during Picard season two than during season one.

Critical opinions and awards have been useless for over a decade by now.

I think critics are good but obviously objective. Trick is to find one or two with a history of liking what you like rather than saying x amount of critics like something.

Also, Captain Marvel was aggressively downvoted, before it was even released, by angry internet gentlemen píssy that a female was lead of a movie; to the extent RT had to change its code to stop it happening again.

I think an arbitrary number to reduce a 13 episode series to yes/no is ultimately an idiotic way to consider a series, and as you say just used now as a weapon. Time was people talked about media - now it has to be ranked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Well I think there are two large problems with those aggregators (not defending Discovery BTW, those reviews may have been too generous....). Sites are not willing to pay for good quality reviewers, and replace them with writers who seem to be a hot second out of college, the AV club was a prime example of that one, while at the same time I've noticed that an awful lot of "reviewers" are only watching the first episode or two that they got on screener, and probably at double time, and then dumping it. So issues that arise in the initial episodes, which are later either addressed or adjusted, become the death knell of some shows that could actually work out in the long term. Almost the only shows that seem to now have reviews for each episode, despite quality, are the Marvel/Star Wars grouping, with a few exceptions here and there.

I'm honestly at a loss at the moment trying to find a decent site or reviewer for upcoming 2023 stuff. Empire went to gack an awful long time ago, and I either don't trust or fundamentally disagree with both the more mainstream review sites, and the edgelords whose main stick is that absolutely everything is crap.

Trying to find something new to watch kind of makes me miss broadcast TV. Having only nine or twelve channels to choose from when I was younger meant I picked something and went with it which meant I watched and enjoyed some things, films especially, that I wouldn't have picked from the description alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

Didn't realise it was the 30th anniversary this year, now I'm beginning to feel my age! Would have been 30 years ago so that my dad arrived back from a work trip in the UK with a holographic Star Trek postcard of some weird space station I'd never heard of. Trek, on a station, Never! Was a couple of years before I actually got to see the show though, not sure if it ever came up on RTE so must have been when we got NTL around '95

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Might as well rewatch that Picard Sisko scene. "We met in battle"!

Avery Brooks powering through with charisma here..

Sisko vs Picard | Star Trek: Deep Space Nine - Emissary

I had done a new run through early DS9 a short while back, and I suprise myself at how little credit I gave the show back in the day. For an opening episode of a Trek show, Emissary was magnificent.

Especially this whole scene with Picard.

Picard: Is everything all right Commander?

Sisko: Sure, except you killed my wife you cyborg b*stard.

Picard: Will this impead your duties?

Sisko: You made me a single-parent and I'm still in greif.

Picard: Well...that sounds like a you problem.

The whole Wolf359 opening, and the way the battle haunts Sisko, are just excellent. How in the end he admits to The Prophets that he never really left Jennefer's side on the USS Saratoga, even years after the Battle just went to show how good the writing was going to be on this show.

• Advertisement

NTL? "Cablelink" my friend :P

If you had Cablelink at the time, you also had Sky One. DS9 was screened there, as well as episodes of TNG (both new & repeats).

Advertisement