Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JRPG general discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Delighted with the announcement of Octopath Traveler 2 at the Nintendo Direct today!! Absolutely loved the first game and it will be a day one purchase next February. Also coming to Playstation this time round.

Interesting that the first game sold three million copies which is pretty good for a niche sector like JRPG’s.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Suikoden I & II HD remasters announced.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They look gorgeous.

Suikoden 2 was peak 32bit 2D art but this is a big step up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So the HD remasters have been over seen by the Suikoden series creator.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I've never played the originals as I've been holding out for a re-release, but it definitely looks a damn sight better than most modern pixel remaster jobs. Feels like they've actually gone to the effort to create a style that feels both cohesive and loyal to the original art.

• Advertisement

I think having the original creator involved has meant it's been made with real love and respect for the source material. It looks so good.

Time for more people to experience the true horror of Luca Blight, one of videogames great villains.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,109 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Looks nice.

I never considered that pixel art is hard to scale to higher resolutions and colour depths. Basically it all needs to be redone and with a lot of taste and a lot of talent ?

Scrolling seems a bit jerky or is that just me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Hope its a full retranslation. I enjoyed Suikoden 5 though I never beat it so I'd be up for a new version of the psx games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,179 ✭✭✭Ridley

Cris Tales be finished.

Took a switch to the Series X to handle the loading times but despite some undercooked gameplay and narrative decisions, especially towards the end, I'd play another one. Make a Samurai Jack game.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Tried playing Final Fantasy XV again and I just can’t get with it, honestly feels like one of the weirdest games I’ve ever played. I can almost kind of see what they were trying to do with the whole ‘it’s a road trip’ but tonally it’s just all over the place. Like they took everything that was culturally popular during its development and threw it in there.

• Advertisement

The game is awful. The magic system is a mess, the map is overly large and barren and the dungeons are linear with end game dungeons being extremely poorly balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Started this the other evening on Switch (reduced to €8 in the eShop). Lovely art style, semi-annoying lead character but what struck me was the loading times!! Apparently they even patched the game but they are very poor. Between 8 and 13 seconds in and out of the random battles. I'm not sure I have the patience for a full game of that!

Atlus have released details of a bunch of QoL updates for P3P and P4G ahead of the re-releases next month.

Post edited by sniper_samurai on

Quicksave is a nice feature as those dungeon dives can take a while.

Yeah and with the floors being randomly generated it sucks having to give up on a run due to time constraints.

They will be especially handy if trying to play on Xbox Cloud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭skerry

Chained Echoes is a great little game so far. About 5 hrs in and it's hard to put down. Lovely pixel art, soundtrack is great and battle system is nice.

Very few sites are following up on the game but the ones that are are raving about it.

"Great" saving getting the bundle of the 2 Persona games.

New trailer for the re releases as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭quokula

Yeah I'm a few hours in and really enjoying it. The battle system really stands out as tactical and fun, the pixel art is lovely, the soundtrack is solid, the story is standard JRPG fare but it's well written so far. A lot of the elements are derivative of older games but they're done with care and attention and it all comes together well. There's absolutely nothing I've seen when playing the game so far that would give away that it's actually made by a solo indie developer and not a full team of Squaresoft's finest in their 90s heyday.

My favourite thing is how breezy and smooth everything is, the character's walk speed allows you to zip around environments and you get in and out of battles in no time at all, it means it never ever feels like a trudge exploring an area or backtracking to look for something.

David is usually pretty solid for the rpg recommendations.

• Advertisement

Also loving this so far. I was completely sold on the opening with the homage to chrono trigger.

Yeah the opening was great and there's been a lot more references and homages to classic games as it goes on, without ever feeling unnatural or forced.

I'm around 40 hours in, at the beginning of act 3 where I've spent several hours doing side stuff before I continue the story and the game just continues to impress me.

The battle system is superb. You really have to think about each character's stats and abilities and put a lot of thought into which skills to assign, what formation to use, which crystals and class emblems to assign to who. I regularly spend ages tweaking my set up. Then when actually in battle you have to use your whole arsenal. Damage over time, status effects, buffs and debuffs are all important in almost every single battle, and the way the overdrive meter works means you always have to react on the fly and adjust your strategy a little bit. The clever approach to the levelling system eliminates grinding and allows much tighter balancing of the difficulty too.

Outside of that, I've been enjoying the amount of side stuff as the game opens up beyond the first chapter. Just exploring and finding things is a joy where there's always something to discover, and there's neat little traversal puzzles here and there to keep that interesting too.

The characters and dialog are engaging and well written and there is plenty of humour. The overarching plot is fairly standard jrpg stuff for the most part, but there continue to be twists and revelations so I don't quite know where it's going.

Honestly right now I think it might be my favourite jrpg in 20+ years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I'm only a few hours in. Bit confused the deals system with the vendors. How do I know what to sell to unlock them?

There's a specific category of item, it's called "loot" or "junk" or something like that. You can safely go to that category - there's a tooltip saying it's safe to sell them as they have no other function - and then there's a one-button command to sell everything. If you just do that every time you get to a vendor you'll see the deals start to fill up. Tbh I don't think there's much in the deals system that can't be found during normal play and in chests anyway, but you might get some higher level equipment a little earlier than otherwise.

I was probably a bit hyperbolic saying it's my favourite in 20+ years, I don't know how you compare this to something fully modern like Xenoblade, but it absolutely feels like the very best of the games I grew up with and loved 20 years ago so if you have any nostalgia for the likes of Chrono Trigger, Suikoden, early Final Fantasy games etc then you won't be disappointed.

And it's free on Gamepass.

Do you need to grind on occasion? It's hard or else I'm doing the battles all wrong. Struggling against the purple Palace boss. I've decided to search anything I might have missed to level up... But I've only unlocked one additional skill. I haven't grinded in a game for a decade I'd say! It would be fitting that it would a jrpg throwback to make me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Pick my next RPG for me, please: Persona Q or Dragon Quest VII?

Both very different games. DQ VII is an old school jrpg while Persona Q is essentially a Persona skin on Etrian Odyssey.

• Advertisement

You really shouldn't need to grind - the game is structured so you can't really grind anyway as only bosses give you GP and you can't level up without GP, so you can grind regular enemies all you want and you'll never get new skills or major stat increases, though you can level up the skills you've already unlocked.

It is worth exploring and making sure you get all the chests and have the best equipment you can. If you're really struggling with a boss it might be worth restructuring your party and equipment specifically responding to their strengths and weaknesses, whether elements, status effects or attack patterns (I don't remember the specifics of that particular boss)

It is challenging for sure, I've had a bunch of bosses that took 3+ attempts to beat but it's always doable by switching up my strategy and I've never needed to go and grind.

Advertisement