Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

Second hand house price increases dropped from 9.6% in 2021 to 5.7% in 2022.

Sherry Fitz expects house prices in general to increase by ‘less than 3%’ next year. With inflation, that’s a real terms drop.

Estate agents rarely if ever predict house price drops as it’s a turkey voting for Christmas situation. Such a low rise prediction is probably as close as they’ll go to doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

So you think they would intentionally make themselves look stupid by saying something they believe to be untrue?

They would consider themselves to be stupid if they ever announced a prediction of a price decrease. It would be shooting themselves in the foot.

If you can show me a time they ever predicted a percentage price drop, I’ll apologise.

I’m not sure why you think that. If they think prices will rise or go through a period of “correction” (there are a few articles online for you to read), when asked, I’m sure they would state their opinion.

Maybe I’m reading your post wrong, and I apologise if I am, what you seem to be saying is that they say prices will rise, even though they believe they will fall, because it’s like a turkey voting for Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

What Fedora meant was Sherry will never admit that house prices are going to drop, ever. Even if they are dropping.

Living the life

• Advertisement

So of the articles you’ve read, can you show me one where they predict a percentage price decrease?

Sherry Fitz seemingly have no issue with percentage predictions for increases but, as you say, ‘correction’ is the word they come out when prices decrease.

Why would that be? Because it would hurt their bottom line to predict price drops.

A year is an incredibly long time in the housing market. If agents predict a drop for the whole of 2023 now, that drop would basically start now. Sellers would begin panicking and buyers would expect immediate price decreases.

Once prices are confirmed to have begun dropping, they may then draw out the magical ‘correction’ forecast. The UK is the perfect example of what they do, as they began only predicting price drops in October, but reports are showing their prices had actually started to drop during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Fedora is right, Sherry Fitz will never predict price drops.

Sure prices are already dropping, watch this space😁

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Prices won't drop for long, we have thousands of Ukrainians who need somewhere to live ready to pay €700k for a 3 bed semi in Churchtown or €500k for an apartment in Castleknock. Nothing to worry about!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭tigger123

Where are you seeing Ukrainians able to pay that kind of money for a house?

I’m not sure if was a failed attempt at wit, or like the WW3 spiel, just ill-informed.

• Advertisement

It's a joke and I'm mocking those who think that bodies on the ground translates to demand for housing that is overpriced for the vast majority of people. Thousands of refugees in Ireland needing homes doesn't mean house prices are justified as these people will need to live in these expensive homes, yet people seem to think that house prices will stay high solely because there is demand for housing.

Head in the sand as well. There are billions in borrowed money being thrown out to society from today by the government. This is because there has been a once in a lifetime pandemic and a war between the the EU/NATO/Ukraine and Russia. You think our property market can keep its lofty valuation while the economy is on its knees? This is insanity at this point and the State cannot keep throwing billions into the economy forever or inflation will never come down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I agree.

In fact, I fail to understand why would someone buy in Ireland unless they have a tie with the country. If you look at France, what you could buy for 400k or even Barbados. Yet in Ireland, we overspend on small boxes. Money doesn't grow in trees, yet some people on these threads talk as if they do. If prices go up as some imply, these money needs to be paid back with interest.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

Comparing other governments around the world, our government debt isn't that bad at the moment. We seem to be getting good stream of tax from MNC that is allowing us to spend a lot. We are basically spending everything we get, and the last quarter the exchequer had a good intake of tax revenue.

Issue really boils down to, if the tax intakes will be as good as it has been for us to continue to keep spending at the levels we are at the moment. Remember with the likes of social housing, we have moved from capital spending to more operational/monthly spending with the likes of HAP. So government will still have to shell out money during good times and bad times, and if there isn't enough income in tax during bad times, the likes of you and me will have to cough up the money !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

More likely a massive market crash in the later scenario. I think we're still third highest debt per capita after Japan and USA. And we don't control our currency....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭kaymin

Swedish Housing Market Rout Continues as Drop Extends to 17%

• Home prices slide seasonally adjusted 2% in December
    • State-owned mortgage lender SBAB data based on transactions

ByAnton Wilen+Follow

January 2, 2023 at 6:43 AM GMT

Updated onJanuary 2, 2023 at 9:25am

The drop for home prices in Sweden continued unabated in the last month of the year, suggesting that 2023 could offer little relief for an already troubled housing market.

Prices across the country are now down almost 17% since a peak in the spring, according to state-owned mortgage lender SBAB. The worst slump for the market since the 1990s is nearing territory where the 20% forecasts by most economists — including the central bank — are starting to look too conservative. 

The Nordic country is far from alone in suffering from falling property values. After booming during the pandemic, central bank interest-rate hikes have triggered a real-estate downturn in a number of nations globally, including in CanadaAustralia and New Zealand. In the region, home prices are also falling in Denmark, Norway and Finland, albeit at a much slower pace.

The new data sum up a bad year for Swedish home owners and real-estate firms, who are having to adjust to seeing the value of their properties fall in the wake of the surging cost of living and borrowing, and a gloomy economic outlook. 

Housing Gloom

Swedish households expect an ongoing fall in home prices to continue

Source: SEB

The indicator shows the difference between the proportion of households who believe prices will rise over the next 12 months and those who see prices falling.

Swedes are particularly sensitive to interest-rate changes, as roughly 64% of people in the nation of 10 million own their homes, yet most don’t have long-term fixed-rate mortgages. The fast pass-through of four sudden Riksbank rate hikes has exacerbated the market’s woes, with the central bank bringing its key rate to 2.5% in November from zero in April. It’s expected to raise the rate again next month.

Read More: Sweden’s Free-Falling Property Market Triggers Worst Slump in EU

Home prices fell 2% in December from the previous month, adjusted for seasonal variations, SBAB said on Monday. That follows a 2.2% decline in November and 2.3% in October, according to an indicator based on transaction data from SBAB’s real-estate listing site Booli.

SBAB has also reported longer listing times on its site as the market has cooled.

Prices for detached houses are now down 19% from the peak in the spring of 2022, while apartment prices have fallen 14%, SBAB said. The larger drop for house prices than apartments is in part explained by high electricity prices, which make it more costly to heat single-family homes.

Still, banks in Sweden are relatively well shielded from the worst distress in the housing market, as lending is based on a borrowers’ capacity to pay off their loans and settling debt on a mortgage is rare. The real risk to lenders is commercial real estate, as commercial property lending accounts for between 16% and 36% of major banks’ loan stocks.

Read More: Sweden’s Housing Market Seeks Bottom as Price Drop Continues

Should unemployment increase significantly “in the wake of the approaching recession,” it could lead to a “very difficult” situation for the housing market if combined with rising mortgage rates, Chief Economist Robert Boije said in the statement. That could then also hit the production of new homes, he said.

There are already signs of the construction industry grinding to a halt, hampered by rising costs and supply-chain hiccups, and a recession forecast for this year portends lower demand.

On Monday, one of the largest landlords said it had no construction starts on new rental apartments in the fourth quarter. Wallenstam AB is waiting for the situation around delivery issues and material prices to clear, Chief Financial Officer Susann Linde said.

“We need to keep an eye on production costs and the supply chain,” she said by phone. “We will gradually increase production when we have secured that.”

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-02/swedish-housing-market-rout-continues-with-prices-now-down-17?srnd=premium-europe

You have a thing for the Swedish market, that is obvious from your posts. But the differences between it and the Irish market have been clearly explained to you.

And those explanations have been refuted. Also the article touches on many other markets and the parallels with Ireland are also fairly apparent if you actually read the article. Feel free to mute me as I'd happily not read and respond to your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭byrne249

I have not seen this refutation. Sweden's house prices are three times what they were in 2008, ours are equal to 08. One square metre in Stockholm costs 3k more than Dublin. These are real differences. Sweden is one of the worst basket cases in the world with the same nonsense interest only mortgages fueling a massive bubble that other countries had going on pre 08. We have had 10 years plus of inflation and the new builds are better quality than 08, our houses are quantifiably cheaper overall than 08.

Go back through the posts - think it was on the softening market thread. In summary, Timing Belt selectively quoted one of the 3 measures used by the ESRI to value property across various markets to argue the Swedish/Irish market comparisons were not valid. However, on one measure which he chose to ignore (and in the process accused others of cherry picking stats to support their argument 😏) that related to property/ income ratio, the Irish market was the worst bar Croatia - and was far worse than Sweden. I pointed out the flaws in the other two models which were not stress tested and unlikely to stand up to changing market conditions, ie higher interest rates. Didn't hear anything further from Timing Belt or Davy 🤔.

• Advertisement

There is also the fact that Sweden has a disproportionately high level of variable rate mortgage holders.

This was also covered previously - it's buyers and sellers that make the market. Existing home owners not looking to sell don't impact on market prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

sean keyes from the currency predicting a 14% drop in prices this year , using the ESRI's own model. id be surprised if they dropped that much but interest rates look like they'll continue rising so i guess he might not be far off.

There will undoubtedly be a massive fall off in building if developers even think that was likely.

A lot of people still dont get it. Yes, @kaymin is right, you can look at other Countries and compare to Ireland. Property prices in practically all developed Countries around the world have been booming for the last decade...why?, easily available, cheap money.

Now, as rates rise, the same will be true for all Countries, property prices will fall.

Of course, no market is the same and the more overvalued Countries like Sweden, Australia and New Zealand will see bigger drops. This is why we are seeing faster drops there. But drops will come here, this year people will wake up. Expect a lot more redundancies now that Christmas period is over and price drops starting to show up across the whole market. People still think we live in Ireland, a small little Country cocooned from the goings on in the wider world, no!, we are a worldwide economy and rates are showing that, everything is moving together.

Expect at least 30 percent drops, timeframes are hard. I expect rate rises to be done in first half of year but we are unlikely to see rate cuts for some time.

Though important, rates are not the only variable, as you well know. If prices fall, no new builds and development stops, the demand for rentals will still be there, perfect for outside investors to continue buying up what is available.

You have elevated yourself to the most vocal of the Chicken Littles.

You have elevated yourself to be one of the most uninformed. Ill accept your apology by end of year.

No prob, that’s the beauty of boards, we get to look back at the silly things we posted, you could just go back to the start of this thread to see predictions that went awry.

Anyone can post “prices will fall sometime, timeframes are hard”, history has taught us the property prices rise and fall, but if you want to be taken seriously, put a timeframe on it, then we can compare predictions. Mine is that prices will rise slightly by January 1st 2024 compared to prices today. Should I take it you are saying 30% drop in the same timeframe? I’ll pin the post so we can compare in a years time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

if materials dont fall then yeah we'll see a fall off in building alright. hard to know though gotta pray for no crazy oil/gas prices this year hopefully makes things a bit cheaper for everyone.

Advertisement