Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good to see Hume back. Ulster need a win here. What's the deal with Herring? Has Stewart got the jersey? Stewart will be in the international reckoning soon. Fantastic player.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,466 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Dunno if Stewart has quite wrested the starting jersey off him, but Herring's injured at the moment anyway.

That team are very capable of winning, if they can keep the heads straight. Al lot of players straight back in from injury though - Refell, Burns, Stockdale, Hume, Baloucoune.

Interestingly, there's not an Ulster front five player I'd swap for his Munster counterpart.

I would focus on the league from here on out, if I was MacFarland. Europe is probably a done deal. I believe it's La Rochelle up next? Away too. Then home to Sale. Depending on what happens with LA. R, the side that plays v Sale will most likely be inexperienced.

That loss to Sale really blew out Ulsters tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,145 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Ben Healy, anyone?

• Advertisement

What? Is he flying to Scotland via Belfast?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,145 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Would he have a higher ceiling than Burns and Madigan? Or Doak at 10?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

Never really been overly impressed with Healy tbh, always felt like the hype around him was more for his last minute penalty kicks. That being said, I'd be happy to have him competing for a starting jersey here but it just doesn't seem like a great use of resources. If rumours of his potential salary at Edinburgh are close to true then it would be braindead to chase his signature when we're trotting out greg jones and sean reffell as starting backrowers in a provincial derby game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,631 ✭✭✭Shehal

Ulster can still advance in Europe but it will mean probably playing Leinster in a L16 if so which is pretty much a death sentence anyway so on that front yes focusing on the league would be wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Locke_Lamora

If you came from the future to bestow two possible futures on us: win the league and crash in europe, or knock leinster out of europe and underperform in the league then I have to admit that I'd hesitate.

However, you are probably correct.

• Advertisement

Stockdale drops two high balls but catches the third and is met by an ironic cheer from his own fans. I love the ulster crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Munster haven't fired in attack at all. One crash ball from Fekitoa aside, there's very little coming from midfield. Crowley and Patterson are struggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭Serbian

Impressed with Ulster’s defence. Munster got close to the 22 once and by the time they kicked it away they were back on the half way line.

The handling from Ulster has been surprisingly poor however, lost count of the number of knock ons, the conditions seem pretty good too.

Also gutted for Marty Moore, that looks like a potentially serious injury for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

That's very unfortunate for Moore, looks like a cruciate or perhaps a localised break.

If that lad didn't have bad luck, he'd have no luck at all.

Poor Marty

Feel like his entire career has been a story of injury.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

That pass from McCloskey was majestic

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Spineless bunch of losers.

thats the end of McFarland for me.

Ulster really haven't given that big response since losing badly against Leinster and Sale. The La Rochelle game was close on the scoreboard, but it was over as a contest after 50 minutes.

They've sputtered along and shown flashes of good rugby, but haven't been near good enough in the their last 5 fixtures. Munster didn't play well tonight and where there for the taking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭almostover

It must be a worry now for Ulster fans, there is a serious mental frailty after developing. Thought it was game over with the Balancoune try and it would have been only Doak narrowly missed the touchline conversion. But that game is another capitulation really for Ulster. 9 pts up with 10 mins to go in front of a home crowd, have to be driving home from there.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,476 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a lack of learning at this stage

6 points up with 5 minutes to go, on a cold trudging night ...you simply kick the leather off the ball and keep Munster in their corners, form a 13 man wall and put minimum into rucks to slow the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Brewster

Horrible way to loose, hard luck. No way Munster should be winning that game given where they were with 8 mins left. Does seem to be a mental issue at this stage. Ulster ahead in games and not being able to close them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Madeoface

Missed kick to touch and 2 lost lineouts of their own late in the game really cost Ulster.... Munster's last phase was excellent tho.

Hard to view that as anything other than a disaster.

Some silver linings, Henderson looking back to good form, McCloskey terrific again and defence was really excellent at times.

Pack seem to have lost all sense of urgency and to ship 10 points in the last 10 minutes is criminal.

And what's happened to Stockdale, shadow of the player he was pre covid.

Very disappointing to see the season start to go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Hard to escape that conclusion.

Whats the succession plan though?

Awful from Ulster. Hume was gash. Vermuellem offered nothing. He was anonymous. Milasonovic is just .... not good.

Jesus! Ulster need a boot up the hole. Very poor. Stockdale wasn't very good either.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,748 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

The defence in the first half was good. In the second half it was shambolic. There were 2 or 3 incidents where Ulster didn’t even form a defensive line. They were all over the place. I just don’t know where Ulster go from here tbh. Sure they could change coaches again, but this mental frailty isn’t a new thing at all. So is changing the coach going to solve it? I’m not so sure. That said, it does look like McFarland needs to go. Almost as much for himself as for Ulster.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

When you have to bring on Milanosovic and Carter, it's shows glaring holes in the squad. Why Ulster carry these lads beggars belief.

Re watched and the lack of leadership and intent from Vermuellen is frustrating. He was completely off form, no real impact. Munster had a hungry backrow. Reffell was ok, never saw him before. Jones tried hard. Ulster needed Vermuellen and he didn't show.

MacFarland must be livid. Munster weren't great and couldn't make inroads. Then Ulster **** the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Actually thought Reffel showed potential for his first game!

We just don’t have an answer for a fan out defence.

People need to also realise Vermeulen’s age and he’s not a 80 minute monster anymore. It’s clear he’s managing his minutes during the game.

Our pack still has glaring holes once you remove any first choice Tightheads & any back row.

Actually sad Sutherland is leaving, sure he is also and probably wishes he had signed when we sniffed around him last time.

In that case, Vermuellen should be on the bench. Impact off the bench?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Yes he should but what other ballast do we have when your playing with Reffel/Jones.

Until Ulster have a couple of proper 6/8 we’re always going to struggle.

Advertisement