Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 years and four days in the European Union today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

• Registered Users Posts: 25,840 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

But why didn't it happen all those times you said it was imminent ?

You often gave exact dates. Keep dreaming the Irexit dream buddy while the rest of the country gets on with living with the enormous benefits of membership.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

we aren't capable of self governance, we aren't like other normal nations.

This negative exceptionalism is every bit as stupid as the UK exceptionalism that led to them leaving the EU.

And no, we didn't "have to" run anything over again.

Nothing in life is universally positive, and the same is true of the EU. It has, however, clearly and obviously been a massive net benefit for Ireland and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,301 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

You keep telling yourself that Mr Intolerant...all a beautiful part of a democracy, we can have different views!!

• Advertisement

It's a legal and constitutional fact. We are not governed by the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no, we didn't have to run referendums over and over again until we got the right result.

what we did have to do is have referendums when the original deals we rejected were changed, which is a good thing as what was being voted on changed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

It's really touched a nerve...were we some well run state previous to joining the EU that I am unaware of?? Because surely we can agree, this country was backward until the 70s.

It's an important part of a democratic society that it learns from past mistakes and allows the space to learn, that means allowing different voices, views, opinions, not like the suffocating political, social and media atmosphere that existed up until a few short decades ago!!

I see you are going for the classic "people think what I said is nonsense, so clearly I must be right" approach.

Ireland was not exceptionally well run no, though it was also an incredibly poor country. We are, ultimately, not particularly unique in the world and not singularly incapable of running our own country however. The proof of which being that we currently run it.

Where as you just think people who don't think like you are stupid.

I know Irish history, I won't forget the basket case we were even if others do!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

It's been nearly 7 years. Any day now lads. Any day now.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

this is factually incorrect and there would be no reason for this to ever be the case, simply a bad attempt at scaremongering that has been destroyed.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,890 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

I will remark that I have not heard many Irish people throwing up their hands and coming out with shibboleths like "oh we just can't govern ourselves". It's something "we" have had to learn on the fly post independence but we have not done too badly.

Yeah, we criticise our politicans and administrators like everyone does in a democracy, and I admit myself there have been times I have been very glad our EU membership constrains their actions, or has pointed them in the right direction to my view...but not to extent of an old British colonial "oh those dumb natives can't govern themselves" law of nature.

If person who says that is Irish and engaging honestly, maybe develop a little bit of self respect + get up off the knees.

I think people who claim Ireland is incapable of governing itself are exceptionally wrong. The evidence being that we are currently governing ourselves, and to claim otherwise simply betrays a lack of understanding of how our government works.

Your evidence for us being an ungovernable basketcase appears to be that we didn't do everything perfectly in the first 50 years of self rule which is not a strong argument. The very fact of putting the effort and energy into gaining accession into the EU was an excellent decision.

Criticize our politicians?? One of the most corrupt leaders in the EU was voted into to power three times by us!!! The man was handling sackfuls of cash that he couldn't explain, and what did he get, a slap on the wrist even?? That wasn't that long ago.

It serves no purpose ignoring our past. It's a weird cultural chink in our collective personality, we love admiring ourselves in the mirror but we get vicious if anyone criticizes us.

The only people in Ireland who want out of the EU are trots like Paul Murphy and far-right oddballs like Justin Barrett. Even SF no longer advocate for leaving.

Well, I don't have the rose tinted glasses on...we were a basket case, socially, politically and economically nobody in their right mind would have immigrated here up until the late 90s. Yet we sent waves of generations of young people to more stable countries since the foundation of our State...and who knows, we may lose another generation in the future.

Let's not kid ourselves here, lest we do it again!!

The waves of emigration started and thrived under British rule. Shockingly, it takes time to recover from centuries of willful neglect. Mistakes were made, as they are in all countries across the globe.

Also, strong youth emigration is pretty much the staple of any small peripheral country in close proximity to a a larger neighbour.

Ah...it's the Brits fault...I keep forgetting....tell me, can we blame the Brits for the endemic political corruption that has done enormous damage to the infrastructure of our Capital city?

No excuse, but politics in Ireland is not uniquely corrupt, or uniquely vulnerable to the disease of corruption. Saying "we can't govern ourselves" is just untrue, and is not really expected to be taken as honest criticism is it?

Anyway, over my time mostly reading and lurking here (+ sometimes posting/arguing) I have obseved that most of the anti-EU posters in this forum who usually think Ireland's membership is a bad job and deploy the successful (in UK!) Brexit referendum "sovereignty" + "freedom" arguments etc. against it seem to be either British, or perhaps from NI and have right wing political views (though I suppose they could be living in Ireland).

I don't think they are the correct people to be making judgements on Ireland's EU membership or the benefits of it for this country, or at least what they think should be taken with a large mine of salt by people reading it.

• Advertisement

The economic state of Ireland in the 1920s and in the first years of independence was indeed largely the fault of the British. Hard to make a cogent argument otherwise really.

We also don't have endemic political corruption.

Maybe you are right, maybe I should soften my stance.

There is no evidence that we can govern ourselves based on our history since the foundation of the state.

We don't have endemic political corruption?

Ah now...this is delusional. Are we endemically corrupt today, I don't think so, was Dublin city damaged by endemic political corruption by Senior Politicial figures in it's planning department...only a fool would suggest otherwise!

Ah well. Speaking of "cultural chinks" or quirks that is a strong one at times, the negativity or catastrophising.

Ireland is the worst (at x/for y), Irish are the MOPE, the politicians here are uniquely corrupt divils, and (though as I said, I have not had personal experience of Irish people taking it this far, as it seems to edge towards bigotry or maybe self hate) "we can't govern ourselves"...

Ok, tell me about this well run state pre EU membership then?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The truth is most Irish people were never too big on self governance, happy enough to have the big decisions made for them, whether it was by London, Rome or Brussels.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,329 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

That’s because SF see the benefit of unrestricted immigration to their agenda succeeding…They need and want those votes. So much so that they are actively cheerleading now our EU membership.

when Ursula Von Der Leyen showed up here McDonald was basically in raptures of excitement…she said…

“I warmly welcome European Commission President von der Leyen here today. 

Through your work on the Commission you have been a good friend to Ireland and demonstrated your desire to work with Ireland towards these common goals.

This year, Europe has shown the power of its unity and its solidarity in standing squarely with the people of Ukraine. “

soooo yeah….

lots of quite moderate people are beginning to question Ireland’s EU membership….the problem isn’t with those questioning it, they arnt ‘far’ anything… the problem is the EU…. Which as a political and economic ‘union‘….is instead severely and possibly irreparably disengaged from the needs, concerns and challenges of EU citizens…. Those of us whom they should be prioritising. Too busy focusing on events… further east.

Ukranian flags already fly outside EU in Brussels and the building is lit in blue and yellow at night….. democracy eh..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,840 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Your last paragraph is pure and utter fantasy.Post Brexit Irish support for the EU is the strongest its ever been. It's not an issue outside of a few barstool and Boards cranks.

It reminds me of something a poster said about the National Party "2% of the population support the party and 98% of that 2% is on Boards".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,620 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

If the moderates are asking questions, why is literally every single Eurosceptic party in Ireland nothing more than a band of deranged racist morons?

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I don't know - there's good and bad being in the EU. And whenever we've had a related referendum both sides get a good airing. I've voted both ways in the past in those referendums depending on the arguments put forward.

Advertisement