Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

someone as adamant as you must have some idea, 30 percent from prices today by when? 1 year , 5 years , 10 years ?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,651 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Oh I've no doubt he'll be onto a new boards account by then

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭IWW2900

Stop pushing me for your childish timeframes.

There are too many unknowns.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,500 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

We're already seeing a drop off in building, new commencements are way down.

They were down 31% October 2022 as opposed to October 2021.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 14,569 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

But sure any eejit could say “prices will drop 30%, but I don’t know when”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

You won't be here at the end of the year if you keep posting like this. Consider this a final warning pre thread-ban

IWW2900 has ensured their threadban is instant. Do not bother replying to their posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,779 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It would be impossible to predict a specific timeframe for a large drop given the State's penchant for intevening in the market to prop it up, and at least slowdown any decline to a more controlled pace

After the last crash it took about 4 years to bottom out. You'd be deluding yourself if you would not admit that that bottom would have been reached much sooner (and probably been even more severe) had the banks not been bailed out and had there not been moratoriums on repossession etc. 2009 would have been a year of firesales in a race to the bottom. Now did I say it is the same now - no, I did not. I only say what I say above which is that if you predict a large drop, it would be impossible to predict a timeframe for it. No doubt other posters won't like what I say and try to twist what I type to say I'm saying it's exactly like the last crash or something.

When the price of houses shoots up, a large part of the increase goes back to whomever owns the site. The person laying the blocks isn't directly benefiting to a large extent. There appears to be a ratchet mentality though out there that once the value of the site increases, the owner must be protected from it ever decreasing again. There is no reason why that should be so.

If I have land worth 10m today, and then the sale price of houses suddenly doubles next week, maybe I figure out that my land is suddenly worth 30 million on paper. Then the following week the house market corrects by 40% (So still 20% above today), well I think that you'd have people on here arguing that houses won't be able to be built because it isn't worth it because the land was valued at 30m and building prices haven't decreased.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

If it’s impossible to predict why would you post daily in a thread predicting a massive drop , telling people it’s already happening , open your eyes etc etc .

im not saying price drops are impossible, I can’t see any evidence to support them increasing from here and they may well fall, but 30 percent seems fanciful.

• Advertisement

To see a 30% drop in a short timeframe I'd reckon that you would have to have firesales. You could get a drop in real terms of those figures over maybe 4-5 years. Which could be mainly due to inflation.

But I can't see the State allowing a situation to develop where there would be firesales. If there was a disaster in terms of interest rates shooting up combined with a recession and people losing their jobs, then the normal rules of capitalism would be that if they fall behind on their repayments, the bank would seize the property and offload it as soon as possible to eliminate any further risk. But that would be unlikely to happen in practice. It would be more likely that there would be supports put in and rules to prevent evictions etc. to force the banks to facilitate people.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I wonder would people in Sweden/Canada/Oz/NZ.... have said the same a few months back (that major drops in a short space of time could not happen). Well a few IR rises put pay to that theory. It looks like no end in sight for drops in those countries.

I didn't say it could never happen. I said that the State here would, going by past behaviour, try to slow it down and smooth it out and therefore it would be difficult to put a timeline on it if you did think that it was likely to happen. I think the State would try to avoid a deluge of firesales

Many countries will allow the "correction" to take place as fast as possible as it is usually better in the long run to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

Talk about putting lipstick on a pig, with the pig being the office market in Dublin. This has to have been a paid for piece. Take up activity was over 30% less than in 2019 even though the country was back to normal all during 2022 and the tech crash has only just started, with earnings reports going to add more fuel to the fire in the coming months while rates continue to rise.

"Expect the unexpected", that is hopeless outlook essentially. I'd be pivoting if I had exposure to the office market either by investment or career choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭tom_murphy112

tech crash has only just started, with earnings reports going to add more fuel to the fire in the coming months

I would say most tech companies will have decent earning reporting for q4 of 22. The ones that missed their earning blamed supply rather than demand in 2022. Walking about before Christmas and even after Christmas, we still have strong consumer demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Before 2008, banks borrowed and that fueled the property bubble. Since 2008, the state borrowed to fuel a new property bubble.

A lot of the government borrowing is off the books but try telling that to a creditor. Soon the time will come to pay the piper and the bill will be a lot higher than it would have been had we just let the banks implode in 2008. The difference is we are on the hook for the money the government borrowed to bail out the banks. And, when all is said and done, the banks are probably going to fail anyway.

The Government made a 2Bn profit on the BOI bailout, and currently there is 4bn owed on the bail out for AIB and PTSB. If the shares in both were sold, it would cover most of not all of the outstanding debt. You are not on the hook for the money used to bail out the banks.

What is “off the books” government borrowing?

Maybe so but their central bank will pivot if their inadequate interest rate rises trigger a rise in mortgage dilinquencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭jj880

• Advertisement

Not “maybe so”.

Central Banks will do what is best for the economy, “pivot” seems to be the new word for adapting to changing economic conditions.

100% of the housing market consists of existing houses. New builds are therefore of little to no significance when it comes to the price of housing in this country. Leo Varadkar admitted this a few weeks ago when he said the levy on cement will only impact new houses. FFG, pulled all the stops to reblow the property bubble that popped in 2008 (at a cost of 200 billion). Still, a bubble is a bubble.

Considering the meltdown in property in 2008, 14 yrs later and with the way our economy has rebounded to full employment and lots of high paying jobs as well as almost a decade of stalled building, it would have been astonishing if prices hadn’t risen the way they have.

I get the feeling you and others think that the conditions which existed in 2012 when prices were low, was a good thing.

Reblowing the property bubble at a cost of tens of billions of euro so that NAMA can make a profit of a few billion will prove to be a costly mistake.

And, you made no mention of Anglo which was not even included in NAMA but taken over by the NTMA.

Went to Kildare Village as an example on the 27th. People are spending like never before. Plenty of cash in the market still or cost of living ain't affecting them !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭jj880

Is that really a reliable gauge for consumer demand though? 2 days after Christmas in Kildare Village? Sales on and probably a lot of people out returning stuff.

Not only Kildare Village, was in town today and it is the same thing.

Piles of vouchers being spent along with present money. This week isn't a good judge of the health of the retail second, just as the last weekend before monthly pay days in January won't be either.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

The madness of the last few years really seems to have come to a fairly juddering halt halfway through the year, like many other countries.

Two quarters now of asking price decreases, and mentions in this of ‘froth’ going out of the market and a ‘price correction’.

There is a “risk … that vendors or estates are slow to accept changed market conditions and settle transactions below asking prices”.

House price multiples are now extremely close to those in the UK. Interest rates here aren’t at their level but may well be within the next few months from what the ECB has laid out. There was a similar stubbornness to accept the market declining there too, until finalised sale prices were confirmed to be dropping.

The Central Banks decision to ease lending rules may throw a spanner in the works but that happening at the same time as reports like this coming out, people may begin holding off as they’re expecting, and therein helping bring about, price drops.

• Advertisement

Of course there will be an end and they will begin to rise again.

I remember the property pin forum in 2012, there wasnt a house in the country at any price that people wouldnt say was too expensive (at the bottom of the market) 500k for a period house in ranelagh was too much and it had further to go. It didnt and the same house is worth 3-4x now.

Advertisement