Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread XII (The Byrne Supremacy)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,600 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Why wasnt sexton red carded for that awful attempt of a tackle?

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Some melts are having a fit about Celtic Symphony being played over the tannoy post match.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Was always going to be an issue, if Ulster played a song with up the uvf people would go mad as well. Whoever played it is a bit of a simpleton, especially after all the noise from the woman's soccer, this is a much bigger platform so was always going to be picked up on. We're not short of songs to pick from to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

Leinster apologies and it won't happen again.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just Getting ahead of it....

• Advertisement

I was more than a bit surprised when I heard it come on. I don't think people who listen to the song or the Tones overlap much with people who support the IRA and the reaction over the women's team was over the top (imo) but it was foolish by whoever in Leinster decided to play it.

Just reading only a 3rd of the song was played - I'd say someone absolutely hared it to throw DJ booth!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,581 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Good outing for Milne. Was very impressive. Serious lad on the carry. Deeny did very well too. He's not talked about like some others but. I think he's going to be very good. Russell with another good showing and Turner is a really good depth lad.

Ngati is really stepping into the role. He's been really good. Good signing so far.

Connacht played well too. Some good players in that squad. Was delighted to see Dooley and Dowling play. Hawkshaw could be a serious player. From what I've seen of Connacht this year, he's been their best backline player. Great vision and a nice burst of acceleration.

Next week in Wales, we probably go fairly strong. Probably like the squad that went to Thomond.

What's with our line out?

Is Kelleher the weakness for the line out? I know he's just back but, we lost 5 line outs! Sarries and Toulouse will murder us with stats like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Has to have been someone acting the bollocks or total negligence, no way that gets okayed officially.

Nothing issue though, as before.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,623 ✭✭✭✭downcow

Fair play to Leinster for recognising the issue and apologising quickly. They now need to find out who was responsible for initiating it and his/her feet shouldn’t touch the ground. Very hurtful for victims and as Leinster say it must never happen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

They weren't all down to just the throw imo. A couple of them Connacht just got up in front of the Leinster jumper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Yeah I thought that for 3 or 4 of them Connacht just read where it was going and got a jumper up in front. The throw seemed on the money. I'd put that down to the lifters and/or jumper not disguising their movements well enough.

After that happened in the first few line outs it seemed like Kelleher tried to make sure he got the ball past them and that led to a couple of overthrows.

Larmour played a stormer. Looks fantastic. Sexton should have probably got a red card. Very poor attempt of a tackle. Upright, head on head collision.

Foley had a tidy cameo. He's better than Nick McCarthy. Leinster should get as many minutes as possible for Foley.

Sexton will be out. Big chance for RB.

For next week, Furlong hopefully back along with Jenkins. RB to start. I wouldn't look past Ospreys. Got to keep the foot down. I can see a very experienced side going over to Wales.

I had to laugh at Milne - made no effort to hide the calls, was picked up on the ref mic once really clearly and the entire call could be heard in perfect detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,484 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

If Sexton should have seen red then he'll be cited, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,021 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

This is the URC, we don't do citings.

FWIW, I don't think the challenge was worthy of a red, and when you compare it to the Healy and Hume incidents from a few weeks ago, that would be consistent with other URC decisions.

A poster on leinster fans compiled this

Baird 6/7

Ryan 3/4

Doris 2/2

Deeney 0/3

Soroka 0/1

Which would suggest that 3/6 failures were throws to the junior lock not working out. Maybe Deeney missed his ques.

I think it could have been yellow myself. Red harsh for a soak tackle.

Tom Daly is the one that could have been sent off imo (shoulder to head clearing Sexton out of the ruck after Sexton tackled Butler). Probably won't be cited though.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,632 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Sexton was standing still at best, going backwards really. There was very little force applied from his side, so as the head contact protocols go, it wouldn't have been a red.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,275 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

In fairness it is pretty offensive when you think most Leinster fans had family who were killed fighting against the IRA in the war of independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,172 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Thought Soroka went quite well off the bench. Made some good hits in defence and carried strongly.

Leinster have simplified their style a bit to be more physical up front. The signing of Jenkins and change if position of Baird to blindside demonstrates that. The addition of Soroka into the 2nd row/blindside could be a big positive in the remaining league fixtures. He's a big unit and if he remains injury free he could start becoming a regular in the URC 23 selection.

Post edited by Clegg on

• Registered Users Posts: 13,106 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Don't really think the TV did it justice, but Baird's run for his try was right in front of the terrace where I was and it was genuinely one of the most impressive things I've seen in the RDS. A man of that size moving at that pace, it was remarkable imo.

Also Ngatai just has so many positive contributions to every game. Low key becoming one of our best signings of recent times.

Do you have difficulty walking around with that chip on your shoulder? Maybe the pettiness helps you prop it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ersatz

Leinster is bigger than the unionist redoubts of D2/4/6/12. I'm half joking, as I hope you are. The National side in the civil war lost 800 soldiers and a few hundred civilians, spread around the country. The anti treaty side slightly less. There is no way on planet earth that most Leinster supporters lost anyone in the civil war, never mind to one side. Unless your idea of Leinster supporters is one or two corporate boxes owned by one of the legal firms, and even then most of the casualties on the National side were working class foot soldiers, and nearly half of them died from accidents, illness and disease. Go n-éirí go geal leo go léir.

No-one would have noticed that song being played if it weren't for the Sky Sports idiot. But given the attention it was dumb to play it at that particular match.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Ernie McCracken

If I got my hands on the schoolboys that orchestrated it there would be suspensions and contract terminations.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Speaking of it being dumb to give attention...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,361 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

D12 a unionist redoubt? Crumlin, walkinstown Greenhills & Drimnagh don’t roar unionist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭ersatz

It's an old slur related to working class Dubs, the Jakeen's who waved the Union Jack at every opportunity. Lots of inner city and newer suburban working class have English roots. Lots of English names, for example. Goes back to Dublin's role as an empire city with a busy port.

Advertisement