Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk, Gossip, Rumours 2024/25

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,698 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Diaz, Jota, Gakpo + 2 midfielders would completely change this team. Konate and Van Dijk are far superior players than they played today.

Let's just wait and see if FSG actually invest in some midfielders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

What does it say about Klopp, when every man and his dog knew exactly what was going to happen here tonight, but he just walks into it with no plan to prevent it.

We were all screaming out for 5 in midfield, and Salah up on his own, draw the game, or win it on the break, don't play into their hands every year ffs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 780 ✭✭✭patsy sally

Can't say I'm surprised,we have been watching pretty similar performances like that for a while now and it isn't going too change in a hurry..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

After seeing what we did in the end of the 2021 season to ensure champion's league qualification I won't write this team off from doing it until it's mathematically impossible but we sure are hard to watch this season. I'd like to see how we do with Matip and Konate at centre back together for a few games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,058 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Hendo, Fabinho, VVD, Bobby's legs have gone, it's unfortunate that it has all coincided at the same time, we have able replacements for Bobby and VVD if needs be but nobody to step in for Hendo and Fab.

A lot of us were kidding ourselves when we said Fab and Hendo were just tired, deep down we all knew but we did'nt want to say it.

Carvaliho and Elliott are not ready to play week in and week out because they are not physical enough and not disciplined enough defensively, Ox and Naby are never fit enough or not good enough.

No champions league football next year will cost the club 70-80 million, that would pay for 2 decent starting midfielders, there's the justification.

We've neglected to strengthn midfield for a few years and now it is biting us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They must be pretty confident of winning number 7 then, to put all their eggs in that basket. 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭A-Train

Oh midfield is the top priority but the defence can’t be ignored anymore either.

VVD needs a solid kick up the back side otherwise bad form is turning in to downward slide to the end of a top class defender.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,899 ✭✭✭Girly Gal

Until midfield is sorted out with some decent reinforcements, we'll continue to get results like this, signing Gapko was nice, but, he's not going to solve our midfield problems, midfield should have been the priority, we should have had a midfielder in the door on January 1st. Holding out for Bellingham ( who we're not going to get anyway) was a huge mistake, there were plenty of decent midfielders available last summer that we could have signed on decent money, some of these have seen their value sky rocket due to good world cups ( not that having a good world cup should be a factor in signing a player).

Top 4 is looking less likely, looking at the teams above us, spurs are the only ones we are likely to overtake. Arsenal, City, Newcastle and Man United look strong favourites for Top 4 now.

• Advertisement

TBF, we can no longer ignore the question marks over TAA, VVD, Hendo, Fab, Ox, Bobby, Jones and Joel. Jota looks brittle and even the Greek looks to be regressing.

Im not sure that we can scoff at statements about the squad anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

A meltdown Monday, not sure if as it's a bank holiday tomorrow will be worse,brings back memories.

There was a match on earlier, the team played terrible, and lost.

Just in case you didn’t know. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Luxembourgo

And a tactics issue. Bar a high line I have no idea what we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah statements like "this squad is done" is OTT.

Who would have thought this time last season Arsenal were a team 15+ points better than us?

Alot happens year on year.

If Klopp was a musician, he'd have one song, we need more strings to our bow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I doubt we will get top 4. United aren’t great but they are actually looking relatively solid defensively recently. Not giving up completely ridiculous goals unlike ourselves.

I think we will be praying for a Newcastle implosion.

Cetainly on the season so far, it’s hard to see how a good few of the stalwarts of Klopps tenure don’t need to be replaced. I know you will point to the year before last when we struggled, then mounted a mighty challenge the year after, but these guys have a lot of miles done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,845 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

We have enough good forwards

Midfield needs major overhaul 1 now 3 in the summer ,Milner,Ox,Naby ,Jones,Arthur, Elliott all not good enough , Hendo on last legs

RB needs competition

Thaigo the only midfielder singed in 4 1/2 years mental,

You have to question management over signing Gakpo if that stop us getting a midfielder & that's not a knock on Gakpo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,306 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

I was just reminded of time when this was a more regular occurrence,we have had a good time under klopp, some take it for granted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I wonder why Calvin Ramsay wasn't involved today maybe because Joe Gomez is regarded as backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,305 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Just play the kids on Saturday night and give them all a kick up the arse that they need

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,131 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Bar the 10 mins at the start of the game and the 20 mins after HT, that was dreadful.

Playing well in dribs and drabs instead of sustaining wave after wave of pressure - something which was the identify of peak Klopp Liverpool no matter who played - Gini Hendo Fabinho Milner Keita Thiago Ox Jones no matter who played in midfield, there was intensity and sustained pressure. Off of the ball, they were compact and protected the back 4 excellently, both centrally and out wide. One of those players named was brilliant in this very fixture last season. Scoring what should have been the winner but the midfield fell apart when he went off. And that's just to give an example to show that they are all capable of it. All of those midfielders named have given top performances for the club, in the biggest competitions too. Even when the kids played in the league cup, the identity was still there and they played like the first team players did - I remember the maturity posts on here at the time.

Where is this gone to?

We are so pedestrian now. What are our tactics? Slow build up, side to side passing and work it around the middle before getting the full backs to hit a diagonal? There's no penetration now. No runs in behind bar Nunez. Salah is staying too wide and is being used far too much in the build up instead of being on the end of things. There is no 3rd man runs from midfield even if it is just a decoy run or to create some different passing angels. Keita was the only midfielder to do this tonight and actually tried to create something with 1:2s driving at the defence trying to create an opening. Didn't work out but he offered more going forwards than the other 3 did tonight.

Elliot. Terrible again tonight. Offers nothing in defence and he cost the game with that ridiculous step over to let the ball run. Not the place or time to do it. He should learn from this but should not see a league game for a while to rectify it. Keita has to take his place now, contract dispute or no contract dispute. Play for a new one.

Selecting Elliott tonight is on Klopp. Maybe he has an assistant or a coach or a sports scientist in his ear telling him that player X and Y can't play for 60 mins, but the buck stops with Klopp. Fabinho Thiago Elliott are getting caught out all season with runs in behind them, especially Elliot and Fabinho. Physical midfielders can dominate Elliott and Thiago with pace and power which exposed Fabinho and the defence. What are Brentford known for? Set pieces and physicality. Don't pick Elliot. He was the big weak link. Put Ox in midfield if you have to. Start Keita. Switch to a diamond if needs be. You've done it before like. The result was being run past too easily.

What was actually worked on over the break cos I can tell you what wasn't. F******g midfield solidity and compactness.

• Administrators Posts: 54,128 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Klopp trying to deflect the attention onto the ref in his interview.

You know why he's doing it to avoid having to be too publicly critical of his team, but the ref was not the issue tonight.

23 pts dropped after 17 matches, we dropped 22 last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭noodler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Carragher pretty much right there. 3 new midfielders required and the club probably have to go out and spend 200M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Bit of talk on twitter during the match that we are going to try get Nunes from Wolves

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shooter_galway

Said it earlier that it's incompetence that no midfielder bought, there was no fight and no passion there at all, Brentford to be fair were excellent, I'd go as far as to say we need a defender and 2 midfielders this month and at least another midfielder in summer, Jones doesn't cut it, naby too weak and toothless, Elliot and carvalho not ready. It's been said but this is on klopp/pep, and you can see pep is having more of an influence, if this is what lays in wait when klopp leaves I'd nearly prefer Gerrard to take over. They had 6/7 weeks to try to reinvent the way we play line up a few players, absolute shambles way club has gone about its business.

Not absolving defence here but how can they preform as previous with no protection..

Chequebook needs to be brought out and fast

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I'm very surprised none of the big six have signed him to be honest. He's a really steady player who very rarely misses games and every team needs someone like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,746 ✭✭✭giveitholly

I was reading somewhere that he didn't sign for us last summer because of problems with a work permit. Not sure how he then managed to sign for wolves. Probably no truth in it anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭mormank

That string being taking over unfancied sides and winning league titles against teams that outspend him by multiples...Pretty good string to have I'd say. But just for your information he can also take sides who have never been in their respective top flights for about a century and keep them there. Has any other manager who has ever won a premier league title done that by the way?? Asking for a friend...

I'm as disheartened as anybody on here let me assure you but anyone questioning Klopp needs to remember where we were before he arrived and it is only because of Klopp that we can sit here and be dissapointed to only be in 6th with a realistic chance of top 4 even if no one recognises that right now.

I just see no reason not to adapt to the situation, away at Brentford. Get the upper hand, tactically .

5 of the next 8 are away from home, Brighton, Wolves, Newcastle, Palace, Bournemouth,

3 at home are Chelsea, Everton, Man U

Those away games are Brentford x 5 .

A challenge to say the least, we'll need to improve, start scoring, take chances

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭RedCardKid

Time for FSG to invest in the first team ... 2-3 midfielders needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,349 ✭✭✭Zak Flaps

We need numbers in the midfield

I think it's a case of, we need quality in midfield. Our best midfielders are simply not as good as they used to be. Any of them.

Our young midfielders (elliot, jones, carvalho) are currently not good enough.

For management not to be able to see this is baffling to me.

Some big names are going to miss out on top 4 this season. I think though it will not that big of a disaster. United has been outside of the top 4 of 2 of the last 4 seasons and it has not stopped them signing players or spending money

Not qualifying for the Champions League could cost us 70/80 million. United have always been able to buy players even if they're not winning. Even when we won the league and Champions league and getting all that money, we still seemed to be a bit stingy spending a lot of money. As much as I appreciate how much FSG have done, I have run out of patience with them. Also, it makes it difficult to attract the best players if you're not playing in the champions league.

We need to win something

We can't take the FA Cup lightly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

The defence is struggling because its being run at freely by opposing midfields.

Anyone can look crap from a corner against Brentford. It's the frailties in transition that are the entire problem.

• Advertisement

I'd love for games like today where they play 2 up top and go direct that we could have the flexibility to go 3 at the back ,

We seem to have only one way of playing and that's it there's no second option

You could even start Gomez as the 3rd CB so if you have to you can change to 4 at the back without making a sub

If u watch City right now the play change from 3 to 4 seamlessly with making subs it adds another dimension,

Losing Mane has really effect ability to press effectively so high up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,216 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Don't know how reliable Sam Wallace is or why this deal wasn't done in the summer if there's interest there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,400 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Oh it's Nunes not Neves from earlier. Clearly I can't read 😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,541 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

You just know they'll end up doing nothing and getting someone in on deadline day, when they are crying out for a mid now and they could spend the whole of january getting settled

Exactly. I wish they’d just pay the extra £10m or whatever it was we short for on Caicedo.

It might be a fifth more than we’d pay for him in the summer, but it’s either that or miss out on him altogether when we fail to finish in the top 4. Again, I love FSG and what they’ve done for the club, but I just wish they’d realise the long term benefits of a short term cost for once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭steve_r

Robbo trying to rally the team together made me feel really sad for a number of reasons.

The old team wouldn't have let a situation like that happen, and if they were up against it, they wouldn't need to be motivated by a speech, they would drag themselves back into it, think of all the late winners against the likes of Newcastle, Everton, the barca game etc.

You look at the lads in that picture, the likes of Jones, Keita and Nunez would never have made the team in the days when Gini, Bobby, Hendo and Mane were at their best.

Age and recruitment are part of the problem but it's not the whole thing - I saw VVD and Hendo going flat out for their countries a few weeks ago - back in a red shirt now and they look like different players. Teams target VVD now, we saw that tonight. He talks a great game, sure, but doesn't back it up on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Would they forget about Bellingham and just spend the 100m earmarked for him now.

Hopefully they can follow Uniteds 4-0 hammering by Brentford and use it to spur on change

PLayers in their early 30's should be hitting their prime, not getting worse. 29-33 is prime

Sadly I think not. United after that match had a much greater capacity to change than we currently do. They were only two or three games into the tenure of a new manager and a very different brand of football. We’re stuck in a bit of a rut with one of the best managers the league has ever seen but he’s set in his ways, to a fault at times.

It’s necessary to accept that we aren’t going to radically change our style of play while Klopp is in charge. When it works, nobody can beat us, but along with the lack of energy in the current team and the injury problems that seem to plague us every year at this point, you just get the impression that quite a few teams have us well sussed out. That doesn’t guarantee them a victory over us in any given match, but it means the players usually have to play to the absolute peak of their abilities unless our system changes.

Even a flawed system can work with perfection in its execution, but we’re such a long way from perfection at the minute that we’re understandably hoping for a system that’s more effective and relies less on individual quality.

For a couple of years, we had both the most effective system and execution. Now, we appear to have neither. That’s the crux of the issue IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement