Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1899 (from the makers of Dark) [Netflix]

Options
124»

Comments

I suppose it ends on, "another chapter is about to begin" kind of way. It won't drive you mad, and pretty much everything in S1 gets answered. It definitely ends with a Season 2 in mind, but I felt it was ok to leave it there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I've only seen the first episode. Disappointing news. I was going to ask this another time elsewhere (Archive 81), but it may as well go here.

Does anyone have a read on how Netflix makes a call on things? Is it an executive, marketing people, or if a show doesn't get enough eyeballs in a set time frame it gets the chop? And where are the showrunners in this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Season 1 ended with a definite answer to the goings-on of the episodes. But true to form, it sets up even bigger contextual questions, given the nature of the metaphysical issue being explored.

I suppose being "ok to leave it there" depends on how invested you were in it- i was fully invested, because I absolutely loved the wtf'ery involved, and the speculative permutations and combinations required to solve the narrative puzzle as it progressed. Gutted it's cancelled, but even so, I marvel at the cleverness. I love sci-fi, but think most if it is dreadful. This was excellent sci-fi. I couldn't not finish it, even if I knew it had been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭RickBlaine

I don't know but I believe Archive 81 did decent viewing figures and was well received critically so it came as a surprise when it wasn't renewed. I don't understand Netflix's financial strategy at the moment. For example, they threw a king's ransom at Rian Johnson to make Glass Onion and yet didn't do a full theatrical release for it. I know they want to drive subs but the general industry analysis is that a full theatrical release would have grossed them 100s of millions more. And surely the way to get and maintain subs is with high quality well received shows like 1899 and Archive 81 that keeps viewers coming back for episodes rather than once-off movies like Glass Onion.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,484 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Surprised to hear its been cancelled, but I wouldn't have been watching any more anyway, thought it was poor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So I was going to start this but, once again, Netflix cancel things early and leave me wondering why I even bother subscribing. Between this and 'The Bastard Son and the Devil Himself', Netflix seem to have no patience to try different things in their pursuit of mediocrity. And all for the most expensive subscription service of them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Awe crap. Well that bodes bad for more from the creators of Dark.

This season had it's own stories and they wrapped up.

The overall show was more complex and the ending opened it up.

Maybe think a little like Archive 81. I know it worked fine for me as an ending. So down to how you might feel about that type of ending/opening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Loved Archive 81, Netflix seem to cancel things by throwing darts at a whiteboard...some of the trash they produced that gets a second and third season is madining

And look at what they were doing with the Witcher...it looks like all they wanted to do was use the IP of the Witcher and create all their own lore and stories as a dick swinging exercise by the writers...

I will probably cancel my Netflix, sick of paying money for shows for them to only get cancelled... infuriating

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ok, good to know thanks. Will think on it whether it's worth seeing how immediate events wrap up. Not a lot of shows on my rotation ATM so could be a beggars not being choosers scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,304 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

I thought Archive 81was better but I found the concept of that more interesting. Both shows feel drawn out and better suited to a shorter runtime. There was way too much climbing through portals too, in the last few episodes to the point it was ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,893 ✭✭✭appledrop

1899, good riddance, I thought it was diabolical.

It started off very well and I was interested but it went downhill after a few episodes and a crap ending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Relikk

Agreed. Those last two episodes, in particular, were rubbish. It was interesting enough up until then. Nothing of any real value is lost with its cancellation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,385 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Watched the first couple of episodes and thought it was complete rubbish. I came in her to see how it goes in case maybe I'm just not in mood for something like this but thanks to this thread it looks like it's not me.

Plus I couldn't see a thing, that was the only similarity the show had to DARK. I had my TV finely tuned and never have to adjust the contrast or brightness until watching this. I've fcuked up my settings now and have to get them back to where they were.

After E2, case closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

It's no Dark, so couldn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I liked the last two episodes and was a decent enough reveal , overall though couldnt have cared less who lived or died and I dont think making it a multi lingual show made it any better, totally unnecessary. Also given the reveal , not sure where could have gone with it.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 15,921 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye I just finished this. I had kind of guessed from the 4th or 5th episode that it must be some sort of simulation somehow maybe an alternate reality or VR. Loved the last episode. It will be interesting to see what they do or where they go with it next.

Awe just seen above. A pity it has been cancelled. It deserves more seasons. Dam you Sh-itFlix.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Thanks to all for asking and answering whether this series could be watched and enjoyed despite no further seasons.

I wonder if a lot of people prefer to wait until some new series gets renewed (or even wait until comes to an end) before starting to watch while Netflix takes low viewer numbers as people being not interested and just cancel. Netflix don’t seem to believe waiting for word of mouth to gain a series new viewers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement