Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with a 'Rooter'

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Jesus that’s fair frustrating on you. I’m sure you were led on through the years with the promise of it all being yours so you put up with stuff.

you thinking of heading off abroad or sticking around and farming part time?

I’ve a mother who’s of the same school as your father but thankfully my own father is very helpful and lets me get on with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,964 ✭✭✭enricoh

The oul lad died this year at 74, it's gas looking back at the stupid stuff we used argue about.

Literally everything- we'd be arguing over what welding rods he got in the coop! I'm glad I was getting on with him when he passed away - I learnt to grit my teeth n the couple of grandkids helped relations. They don't be around forever, make the most of it I learnt this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You'd be better to be away from it, the cost now to develop it and stock it would be horrendous, You'd be better building your own career/business.

I look at my own place here and It's not bad but to get it back to where it was in 2017 , a lad would be better off without it, apart from to sell it, pay the tax and have his home mortgage free

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Ah when the ball started rolling with him taking on the place i was in England at the time and was told thered be a spot for me there when i got back but sure he didnt end up taking over for another three years or so officially and i left home again before that. Luckily enough i havent been plamassed with promises of this that and the other i made it fairly clear when i came back from Australia i wasnt going slobbering and kept the hand in a small bit but had to call quits after a few months as it was getting beyond a joke at that point. Other factors involved as well but id say as soon as i get my trade papers ill be gone. Its a pain in a way as id love to build a little workshop at home but i know for a fact within a week it would be full of old clutter and id be more or less without the use of the shed then and plus if im moving away i dont want to leave a shed behind thats only going to be wrecked. Its the same with doing up a vintage tractor or anything like that i just wouldnt have peace working at it.

Better living everyone

I wouldnt mind doing a bit of farming on the side here once i knew i was going to be fairly local for work but i cant gaurantee that either. Youre dead right on the costs of developing the place if i got in the morning id probably hold onto the bit around the yard and lease the rest as there is dairy farmers either side of it, try develop the bit i hold onto and have a system in place which requires less than 1hr per evening most of the year and not having the whole weekend gone with it either.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

It’s a trap a lot fall into. You nearly have to be improving the place every couple of years at least, you don’t feel ten years roll around and it’s a big ask then. Problem is it’s hard find the extra cash at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,007 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

You have the right outlook on it. It's a pain in the hole scenario you have all the same.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I hadn’t a clue that taking land back from what I later realised was a bad tenant and buying 17 store lambs in 2015 would change my life so much and so much for the better. I can’t imagine not farming now.

But if someone told me then how much work and investment it would take to get to where I am now, then (1) I wouldn’t have believed them, and (2) I don’t think I’d have done it. I’m glad now I didn’t realise that at the time!

And I consider myself only on the bottom rung of the ladder at this stage. It’s a lifetime of work and investment.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's been said here before but your problem is the same as any young fellow trying to get started and the old fellow won't give in. Your like a lad going in with the jack and the cow is only bulled. You have too let the old fellows take the strain. When the pressure comes on, (due to health or injury) he will be glad of your help. Now is your time to enjoy yourself and build up a few pounds. I took over when I was 16. How envious I am when I hear of a young guy, not tied down at a young age

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I was 16 too,while i was happy out i do think it narrowed my choices alot.i hope i can give my lads the chance to move away for a while,good for all of us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Same story here, I was 17 when it fell upon me to take it on. I really struggled mid twenties when I really wanted to do some travelling with my friends who were at it but felt there was no way to get away. I would have sold out cows for a few years except I'd have lost milk quota so that really felt like a weight around my shoulders. Like you hope the next generation here get to experience what I didn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,836 ✭✭✭chooseusername

" Like you hope the next generation here get to experience what I didn't."

Careful what you wish for.

When the time comes, as it will soon enough, it'll be the same sh1t, different toilet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭cute geoge

build your shed with heavy duty locks ,fuk the dairy lads bounding dont give them an inch when your time comes .What age is the quare fellow and are there other siblings to be fixed up when your time comes

At 80, might there be health issues at play to explain the eccentric behaviour? Hopefully not but, it can manifest itself over a long period of time making it seem like he's always been that way.

Reading through the replies it seems like im making it out to be a succession issue, its not that at all its the issue of money being wasted in unneccesary areas of the farm while important areas are being neglected. I made it out NYE to town and i was introduced and recognised as one of the lads with the tractor with no doors on it. I was also talking to a friend before Christmas a tidy operator would be running a nice calf to beef system as his own along with the parents enterprise great hands and a great head on him and hes on about going to Australia this spring for as long as theyll keep them as the auld fella wont let him do a big clean up on the yard at home.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Every farm and every father/son relationship is different, but two garages told me last year that "No farmer's son will drive an old tractor now."

I was looking for a tractor at the time and my budget was small. But the two garages said those types of tractors just weren't there any more, coz "No farmer's son..."

Could be two things: (1) The young lad is not on the farm and the father is pulling/dragging away himself, (2) The young lad is after getting around his father and they have a 20-year old tractor, rather than a 40-year old one.

I don't envy you. One of the reasons I sold the cows and leased the place 20 years ago was because of family relationships (can't think of a more polite way to say it!). Maybe a few months working in Australia with your buddy wouldn't the worst thing in the world?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

I am a farmers son and have one door fully missing. Lower pain of glass broken on the second door. Rear window missing (mission to get this fixed, hinge broke and it’s been off ten years, we used have a back end grab window was open always).

now I have no idea of how good your tractor is/age/HP.

But a new tractor won’t improve bottom line, tidying yard won’t improve the bottom line.

If your tractor always starts, even in frosty weather than it’s worth it’s weight in gold. I considered changing ours as it’s a rough enough Massey and instead doubled down on it and in process of getting engine rebuilt. That will prob cost 5k when finished but will be money we’ll spent if she lasts another 10 years versus buying an expensive second hand one (that will come with its own problem).

I remember a neighbour when I questioned why he never put up a shed and slats (he has a yard with ring feeds and scrapes into a slurry pit). His answer was “will the shed make the cattle fatter”. It stayed with me.

for meImprovement need to

1) either improve revenue or profit

2) make life significant easier or save time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭White Clover

Different strokes for different folks.

By maintaining one’s machinery to a good standard can substantially add value too. And it was never more true than over the last 5 years.

Some lads including myself prefer to spend a few Bob improving and keeping things right. I’d get more satisfaction out of that than an extra couple of grand in the bank account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

1) A tractor that is fully weather proof will certainly make life easier.

2) a shed for the cattle will make life easier.

everyone to their own but I can’t for the life of me understand how some farmers make no effort to either clean up the place or make life a bit easier.

I have a neighbour that is in the yard 12 hours a day every day of the year nearly. I spend 1 hour max. he’s always complaining that there’s no money in farming. I do alright on my place and it would be not far off half the size.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,037 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We used to have 3 tractors and a loader. At one stage one tractor would start the rest of em, money was short back then. We had another tractor on a hill farm where she was left in gear and a hammer on de handbrake to start. Fiats were great to start on a hill with very little speed. Reps made big changes 20yrs ago, all pallets, plastic, old steel and rubbish were removed from every ditch. It made big changes to the countryside.

I am not disagreeing with you lads. All I am saying it’s not worth falling out with the old lad over.

Some scrap machinery around the place won’t ruin it. Your time will come to clean it up.

If the tractor starts and is mechanical sound then it will do for now. A new tractor will come with different problems.

Succession planning is difficult I guess. Forget about investment/tidy up until you are financially responsible for the farm. Maybe I am lucky with my old fella that he doesn’t pass comment on anything I do. But he is 83 now so despite being fit for his age realistically is able to do little but invaluable to spot sickness or changes in animals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

That man that asked, "will the shed make the cattle fatter", does he have a successor?

There is certainly merit in what he says, e.g don't build in unnecessary expense.

The other side of that is that I have a friend that is 42 and has brothers 40 and 44. Their father has a herd of 140 very good cows, plenty of land, has about 150 acres in tillage too. The cows are all in cubicle houses around a yard like you describe and fed in round feeders for the winter. Cubicle houses and yard scrept with a super dexta back into an open lagoon. Cows then need to be locked into cubicles, and milked one cubicle house at a time, let back over and locked in again before repeating 5 times per milking, through an 8 unit parlour. It is a life of incessant work and slog due to not spending anything for years about the yard.

The father is now 72 with the 3 sons in very good jobs. He wants my friend to come home and take over. He is in an €80k per year role plus perks. He is reluctant to go because he says he needs to spend about €4-500k on a parlour, slurry storage and all cubicles need replacing. He says he would be 10-15 yrs paying it back and at that stage would be late to mid 50s. Constant smaller investment would have solved this problem.

He doesn’t have a successor. So definitely a factor. But he does invest where makes sense.

The lad you describe is other side of the coin but it also sounds like the son is not interested And want to walk into a place that is perfect. The place is managing to milk 140 cows all alongside there is no way 400-500k is needed. Son doesn’t deserve it. 140 good cows, plus tillage land and he is moaning still 😀. If he don’t take it another son will and he will end up with a “site”…. But that’s the choice.

All due respect 893 but you have the man wrong. He was mad to come home 10 years ago but the father would give him no head at all. His career has taken off now and he is reluctant to leave it to basically start over.

By The way have you priced a parlour for 140 cows recently? €100k minimum for the machine, feeders and tank (At the momentthe tank is too small and pumping to an overflow tank before the last milking before collection). Do the building then to put the parlour in. That's €150-200k straight away. He has an open lagoon only for slurry storage. He needs a cubicle house with slurry storage for 140 cows. The steel cubicle and a basic mat is €150 plus VAT. That's €21000 just on those, scrapers €15k minimum. That's €36k on 2 finishing items. As I said earlier, no disrespect, but I am not sure you understand the cost involved in setting up to dairy at that scale hq. This lad gave 20+ hrs a week on top of his 9-5 for 20 years almost but has a great life built up elsewhere.

The brothers won't take it. They couldn't even find the tillage ground, it's 2 miles from the yard and the boys never even picked a stone from it.

I don't want to say exactly JJameson, if anyone else knows him it would identify him straight away. Public sector role with a nice bit of work from home and flexibility.

Biggest perk I mentioned is he would be eligible to retire at 58 on a pension of about €49k. Be retiring on that at the same time all investment be paid off.

He wants the father to get out of milk and go all tillage. He likes the cows but with all tillage he can stay in the job and tip away on holidays. The volume of work he would have would keep contractors loyal to him.

The father wants to stay in cows. That's the crux of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I'd say at a minimum 4-5k per cow would have to be spent sounds like a entire greenfield site needed for housing and parlour, with current interest rates he'd be in for well over a million by the time it's paid back....

Where was the money being made going down through the years that noting was spent on yard land purchases I'm guessing

Land purchase and an extensive property empire of 3 shops and a lot of rental houses.

• Advertisement

I have no idea of cost. But the farm is currently capable of milking the 140 (with some hardship). Everything doesn’t have to be spent at once so the place is turn key. Not to mention Vat will be claimed back, grants are available and expense can be capitalised against what must be a sizeable tax bill.

It sounds like a 4million quid farm. 150 acres a of tillage and I assume same acres in grass.

Son sounds a little precious but really it’s down to succession planning. He needs to be in financial control of the farm to make the big and small investment decisions.

I am feeling less sorry for him. Big public sector pension. 4 million farm. 3 shops, a load of rental house.

and ye are moaning that the farm needs investment and the father is a rooter. Come on like.

Advertisement