Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 years and four days in the European Union today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

Growing up with all the new roads and infrastructure being built with a massive blue sign.... Funded by the EU etc....

Not the exact phrase, but it was plainly obvious to see an influx of EU funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭Emblematic

I'm not it is as simple as that. I think it is fairly well recognised that a lot of our economy is based on inward investment from the US and measures have been brought in at the EU level to curb Ireland's some of Ireland's policies in this regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,238 ✭✭✭paul71

I think the exact quote was European regional funds, but that was only 1 part. The were also CAP funds, and ESF basically put every 3rd level student through college here for 30 years.

And there was a lot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,407 ✭✭✭✭road_high

According to my own google searches it was 2013- https://assets.gov.ie/227066/9028d3a9-82d2-4c85-9cac-30370d83c278.pdf

But I guess that must be dismissed as infantile because it doesn’t fit with the “EU being wonderful and only an idiot would ever question it’s greatness for Ireland” narrative that so many are fixated on. A but like those that didn’t subscribe to Nazism were mentally ill

You make it sound like it was free money purely 100% paid by foreigners-pretty sure there had to be a % matched local funds for any of these schemes on a sliding scale with lots of strings and rules attached

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭lmao10

Most of the "Irexit" loons wouldn't have a clue how much Ireland has received and how much the EU has helped progress Ireland in 50 years.

Why would you be stunned with anyone asking a perfectly legitimate and logical question?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Taxation policy is the exclusive preserve of member states. Hard fact. Nothing has been "brought in at the EU level" to change anything.

Ireland was a participant in the OECD BEPS agreements, which saw Ireland agreeing to certain changes in corporation tax treatment. The OECD is not the EU (and is a multilateral org with members like Japan and Canada) and we elected to make these changes of our own violation as a sovereign country. Further, the changes made actually saw both our corporation tax and inward investment increase.

Know the facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

No it was EU funding, not a handout. Of course it comes with strings attached, it's all from frameworks to improve xyz, be it roads/rail/culture etc.... It's not just billions being lodged into the state coffers for them to give themselves a payrise etc...

A poster was looking for proof for the claim that Ireland has received more than it paid into the EU.

I would also be stunned if an Irish person asked what PAYE tax was. Only an utter idiot would fail to realise that Ireland in the last 50 years has received massive net funding from the EU. Every motor way in the country was paid for by the EU, every college graduate in the country for 30 years was almost completely funded by the EU and farm incomes were subsidised up to as much as 60% for the vast majority of those years in what WAS a primarily agricultural country.

If a person were under 20 I might excuse the lack of knowledge, if a person over 30 claimed to be unaware of this I would call him a liar!

• Advertisement

I'm afraid I did not bring up the BEPS agreement in my earlier response so I'm not sure this constitutes a rebuttal. I think you were taking an overly simplistic approach earlier because you were failing to take into account measures specifically at the EU level that negatively impacts countries like Ireland with regard to inward investment policies.

What measures brought in at EU level are you referring to?

Well specifically the Anti-Tax Avoidance Directive (ATAD) which came into force in 2016. While Ireland is not specifically targeted, low tax regimes such as Ireland (and I think it is generally accepted that low corporation tax has been a major factor in Ireland's ability to attract inward investment) will be disproportionately affected.

The EU has brought in precisely zero measures to "curb Ireland's policies in this regard" (FDI), because it can't. It has zero competency when it comes to tax treatment which is the exclusive preserve of member states.

You're making a false claim that has no basis in fact.

So you are talking about corporation tax which as YURT said is NOT an EU competence.

I think Yurt may be raising straw men to counter because they are easier deal with than what I am saying. BEPS is easier to counter because the OECD is not an EU organization. Therefore it is easier to shoot it down. However I did not mention BEPS in my initial response.

Likewise the setting of a specific corporation tax rate for each member state by the EU. Easily shot down because it is not true.

However I never mentioned that in my initial response. What I mentioned was "measures have been brought in at the EU level to curb Ireland's some of Ireland's policies in this regard."

The specific example I gave was ATAD which I never claimed forces Ireland or any other country to set a particular corporation tax yet nevertheless has a disproportionate impact on countries with low corporation tax such as Ireland which uses it to attract inward investment.

ATAD is a directive, and as such is implemented by states in a rather a la carte manner. It will be implemented in Irish legislation as suits Ireland in a maximalist manner with our FDI priorities front of mind.

Further, any taxation measures require unanimity at the European Council. There is nothing in it that Ireland couldn't have pulled the plug on at any stage (and we would have if it didn't suit us), and it's general scheme is related to the OECD BEPS agreements already by Ireland agreed prior.

You are however talking about the double Dutch Irish tax avoidance scheme. It was closed in 2016 (or earlier?) and in reality it was aimed at attracting the name plate businesses. I have no problem with the closing of that loophole as I think it was abhorrent, however it had little or nothing to do with the REAL companies who came to Ireland because of our workforce and access to the EU. IT manufacturers Intel, HP, Dell were among the first, the next were the IT Facebook, Google, Apple and Pharma. These were not nameplate companies, they are here because of th4e workforce Ireland provides and every other country in Europe is free to compete with us on Corporation tax rates to attract them, and in fact some have tried and failed.

But now you've conceded that the EU can bring in Directives that run counter to Ireland's interests with regards to our policy to attract multinational inward investment. What you are arguing now is the extent to which Ireland can get around the legislation. However the mere fact that the EU is doing something that Ireland is trying to avoid kind of proves my point.

No not that particular scheme which, as you point out, Ireland closed. This was most likely under pressure from member states but not specifically due to the EU as an institution.

• Advertisement

Not quite!

The pressure was from The United States not the EU. Ironically it was entirely within the remit of the US to close that loophole at all times as it was a US tax law that allowed it to function in the first place. The US only taxes corporate taxes on profits remitted to the US, it could always have changed that law to tax worldwide profits, but you know the reason - Republicans and Democrats.

Ireland fully assented to ACAD via the European Council. Nothing was done, or could be done without the explicit approval of the Irish government.

If you knew how it was negotiated (hint, it comes from Ireland's commitments at the OECD level) and the technical measures contained within, you'd realise pretty quickly f*ckall of it runs counter to our interests - and it's all freely done by our own government which we elect. It's implemented via directive, i.e: transposed into legislation as suits us.

I think you need to hit the books as to how the EU works. There's no sinister cabal of Eurocrats out to sabotage our FDI, mostly because they don't have the power to do so, and also because they don't really exist.

True but there was also pressure from the EU. Apple was alleged to have used the "Double Irish - Dutch Sandwich" tax strategy, and this was the subject of an EU investigation some years ago whereby it was alleged that Apple in being allowed to do this was availing of state aid.

I think you may be exaggerating the extent to which we can transpose EU legislation however it suits us. I think also you are forgetting the horse trading that goes on at the EU level and the reasons Ireland may choose to publicly vote for something when it knows it is going to go through anyway due to (qualified) majority voting.

The ECG struck down the Commission's decision (which was a solo run from a Commissioner looking to make a name for herself) and ruled in favour of Apple (or Ireland depending how you look at it).

Lookit, you're posting as if the EU is a monolith with zero regard to the checks and balances within it, and the limitations to its powers built into the Treaties that member states like Ireland freely assented to to.

You made a big-talk claim that the EU was stuffing tax legislation down out throat. That's false, it can't. Anything that comes near the postcode of taxation treatment needs to have the imprimatur and approval of the Irish government via the European Council.

The directive you mentioned flowed from the OECD negotiations, in which Ireland nearly brought negotiating parties to the brink of madness frustrating a deal so we could get one that suited us. And we did. Ireland (along with a couple of other parties) held-up those negotiations for years.

Know the history, and know how the EU actually works.

Now we are getting into an interesting area. Apple it would appear DID use the rule. The EU (in reality Germany and France) went after them because they wanted the corporation tax receipts but the European courts ruled in favour of Ireland and Apple.

Now what I find interesting is that few people identified the real motives here. Ireland has Google, Apple, Twitter, Facebook et all because our workforce has achieved a critical mass of of expertise in the industry, the same is true of the Pharma, aviation leasing and Medical device industries.

Other EU countries have a hard time competing with us for FDI in those sectors because we have critical mass. Similarly, we cannot compete with Germany, Italy, France, Czech for car manufacture, and we cannot compete with France, Italy, Spain for wine production for obvious reasons.

France and Germany tried to make a grab for Irish corporation tax on profits generated in Ireland by Irish workforces but sold to Germany/France. I find that as abhorrent as the Double Irish Dutch sandwich, we after all do not go after Corporation tax receipts of German car manufacturers or French wine produces on their goods sold here. However, as I said the EU courts ruled in favour of Ireland in the Apple case because the EU has no Tax competences.

It was actually more or less a Vestagar solo run. She made a name for herself in Denmark with this sort of thing and thought she had found a name-making cause in Brussels with the Apple case. The temperature in European institutions (privately) was that her aggressive pursuit of this case was a bad hill to die on.

The Germans and French tend to keep their head below the parapet on state aid matters for a number of reasons (both have a particular interpretation of state aid due to their automotive industries which regularly require bungs from the central exchequer).

Agreed, both Germany and France have horrendous effective tax rates compared to their headline rates. In contrast our tax rate is very transparent! (Nor do we chase corporation tax from Lego or Carlsburg from Denmark)

Also the entire episode shows that the EU is in fact rule based and the big countries, do not as many anti EU types claim, get to rule the roost over smaller countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

You're baffled but still couldnt come up with figures or include the 56 billion bail out

Blue skies indeed

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,262 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Best laugh of the day and absolutely no point whatsoever debating with that. Do nothing and we’d have achieved a per capita GDP of $83k versus the UK at $42k and Switzerland at $86k! And going from from a situation where the UK dominated our trade to a situation where export as much to Belgium as we do the UK, would have happened anyway. Yep, we have got great trade deals and access to markets and so on just like BREXIT is doing for the UK!

Advertisement