Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

buying second property for investment purposes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭SwimClub

It sounds like you are not in it for the money because it isn't making any, is it not better to sell rather than dealing with tenants and paying revenue every year and paying a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,580 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I can cover the costs to revenue, if i couldn't I would sell and ive never had a problem with a tenant that wasn't easily resolved.

Its more about being comfortable at a later stage in life, being able to help my kids get a foot on the property ladder and eventually having an asset that is debt free.

Its about having options, I could sell one place once it clears the family home as well, or decide to keep it.

Its a long long term investment that might not yield anything until the later stages of life and im ok with that.

Helping the kids get on the property ladder might be blocked by regulations in the near future as it involves evicting your tenants, in fact you might be helping your tenants kids get onto the property ladder because they could take over from your tenants long after your original tenants move out, that type of thing happens in rent controlled apartments in New York.

Maybe it's less risky if you aren't in an RPZ.

I'm in a similar boat and would like to stay in but these are the reasons I'm getting out, plus the risk of non-paying tenants and also if they make evictions for sale illegal it would seriously impact the property value when you sell.

A lot of if’s buts and maybes in that. I understand what your saying but tbh im not worried about any of that.

What your suggesting is drastic, and very difficult to implement, I reckon the next interference by the gov will be to allow additional deductions in some form if tenants are given a multi year lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,897 ✭✭✭amacca

Agreed

And I think the free lunch brigade are some pack of cretins too

They seem to be able to grasp small details but not the bigger picture

It's like they were all signed up to an entry level PLC on investment delivered by a part qualified accountant that needed the money and now accept the doctrine as the one truth and only truth (you know what they say about a little knowledge)....and regardless of any real world phenomena that might run contrary to the narrative are determined they are right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

True ,REITs don’t track the on the ground market at all, the Irish residential REIT IRES has been a dreadful investment since being launched around 2014 , it’s fallen hugely in value in the past year for the simple reason pension funds etc will choose government bonds paying 4% over REITs every time

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It's a bit more complicated than that. REIT's costs are horrendous compared to a hands on owner who may be able to complete some maintenance jobs themselves.

As well you have no management charges that a REIT will have. Finally you are working with a leveraged asset. Over the last 50 years property would have exceeded interest rates and inflation. However you have to factor in that rented property will be in poor condition usually after a number of years being rented

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

None of that explains the fact that IRES was 1.75 a year ago and is circa 1.12 as of yesterday, it gets thrown out with the rest of the stock market but more importantly in a rising rate environment, it can’t compete with risk free government debt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Gorteen

If I bought a second property and allowed my (adult) daughter to live there rent free, is there any tax obligation for either myself or my daughter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭herbalplants

I am not a tax expert! But the below is an example of gifting.

The most obvious one, which still quite a few people don’t seem to avail of fully, is the Small Gift Exemption. If you are a couple, you can give up to €3,000 EACH, to anyone, every year, with zero tax issues for you or them! ANYONE! Sticking to the topic, a couple can gift up to €6,000 every year to each child. But importantly, they can also do so to each child-in-law, partner, grandchild, etc. Taking an example; you have say 3 kids and 3 sons/daughters-in-law, and 5 grandchildren. In that scenario, as a couple, you could potentially be gifting €66,000 per year to them in total. To really spell this out, over the course of the next 15 years, you could pass on just short of €1m totally tax free! If that sum were instead subjected to CAT of 33%, you’ve just saved an unnecessary €330,000 tax bill.

Living the life

• Advertisement

If you have a spouse partner buy it jointly. if it was previously rented buy one with a low previous rental return. The 6Kgift from a couple should cover most of the tax liability even if in Dublin.

Slava Ukrainii

Do we need to formally notify Revenue of the gifting? Or is it declared if there's an investigation?

No not to my understanding. You just need to keep paperwork in order in case of an audit

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭The Student

The €3k yearly gift exemption allows a gift of €3k be given with no tax liability. It has no bearing on the tax liability.

If the market rent is €15k for example. The child is receiving a gift of €12k. Now this can be deducted from the lifetime inheritance allowance of category A and pay no tax until the threshold limit is reached. If the child has a partner then they are category C for inheritance purposes.

The parent has no tax liability as they have not received any income.

It has been a while since I looked at this but I don't think the tax laws have changed although I will stand corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭Viscount Aggro

You can't do what you are suggesting. It's layering, known as tax evasion.

Revenue are all over this.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭jimmythesulk

Why would you post if you don't know how things work.

Mortgage interest is 100% allowable as an expense for a landlord on rental income on an investment property.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭mattser

For some of them to pi$$ it against a wall ?? Buy a Bentley.

Could you not just take it as your main residence after tenants move out, register all utilities in your own name. Your wife keeps the other house as hers.

Daughter lives with you in your residence.

I thought that could be an idea. Or the way people are working from home, can you not use one of the bedrooms in the second property as your office, then let your adult child live in the second property but technically you are using the second property as office space.

Again I am not a tax expert.

Living the life

My understanding is a tax liability for a LL arises where they receive a rental payment. No rent no tax liability as in this case the parents would not be getting a rental payment.

The daughter has a tax liability for the rent. However she can offset his yearly gift allowance against it it's explained here

It also stipules where a child is u25 and in full-time education no liability arises

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The child has a tax liability or anything above €3k is considered a gift and goes against lifetime threshold level.

Refer to the changes in the finance act 2014 highlighted in the article you linked.

There is no tax liability to the parents as you are correct they are not receiving any rent and you are correct in terms of adult children in full-time education up to the age of 25.

Am I correct saying that the 3k a year tax free gift doesn't go against the lifetime of what you can gift a child.?

So you can gift 3k a year and surpass the 335 k lifetime threshold.

Living the life

Yes the 3k yearly gift is outside any inheritance allowance.

Yes but if the house the child is using is in both parents names the allowance is 6k.

Therefore if the rental value of the apartment was 1k/ months or 12/ year they would lose 6k every year of there inheritance allowance if it was declared.

However if the house/ apartment that was purchased had a below market rental value ( due to rental rules) it would decrease any liability.

Slava Ukrainii

Article looks interesting. Pity it's not accessible :(

Correct in terms of the market rent. The "market rent" in the rpz is the current rent which in most cases is below the actual market rent. Proof of this is crucial should revenue wish to audit you.

Thank you, makes sense.

Living the life

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

My story was the same as yours, until it wasnt :)

well over decade charging low enough rent (I couldnt raise it anyway with the RPZ, but before RPZ it was my choice to charge a reasonable rent and leave it low for good tenants which i did.) Everything went well for over a decade. Suddenly one bad tenant changed everything. We decided when they left that we had been unlucky (They seemed so nice and had great references, jobs etc. Dream tenants actually - until they werent) so we decided not to sell at that point and rent again. Another dream tenant turned out to be 10 times worse than the first. After they went we decided to sell, but a colleague asked could they rent the apartment. They have left to go home to their own country now and we just decided after they left we were going to sell up so its ready to go on the market now next month and we are out.

Did the sums and we will get out with a decent profit at least. Going forward it would be impossible to make a profit and the risk far outweighs any potential to imporve the profit for what we would be at now when we sell. So we decided why take on the risk for so little reward, but also potential disaster? It was time to get out for us.

It remains to be seen if the RPZ locked rent will have an effect on the price we get. Its locked a fair bit below the market rate in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

Pay your daughter to stay in, protect and maintain the property for you. :) Your daughter than then do your shopping for you out of that money :)

Keep her officially living in your own house and visiting/overnighting that property when she feels the need to be there for security. Yourself and your spouse would be staying in it from time to time too as its your holiday home isnt it?

• Advertisement

Why would a buyer know what rent you were getting?

Advertisement