Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 years and four days in the European Union today

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,317 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

And what do you think six years after BREXIT of a person coming on hear repeating the same old lies and half truths that have long been debunked. Maybe it’s time you went and followed your own advice and questioning what you are being feed before you start criticizing others.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

The EU Single Market.

Though the US if you want to go country by country.

The EU is probably a large part of the reason the answer isn't the UK though.

Almost 32 per cent to the US

9 per cent to the UK

37 per cent to the EU

Our biggest import partners are the UK and US

Most of our exports and imports are outside of the EU

And yet theres lads who'd have you think its all about the single market and get excited about throwing all our eggs into the EU basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

I did come up with the figures Dyr, however as always once the 2 letters EU appear in a sentence you forget how to read.

Look back, take off your ever present prejudiced anti EU blinkers and READ the link to the factual report both I and wolf provided.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Genealogy Forum Mod

My goodness you really cannot get figures correct at all once it comes to the EU Dyr, can you? The UK is not our 2nd biggest export market, Belgium is, and Germany is 3rd. There was a blip in 2022 because of Pharma exports due to covid, and it is already back to normal.

Belgium is more important than the UK, and Ireland trades with the US based on the EU stuctures.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

And vast amounts of those exports are related to the pharma industry which is only here because of our access to the EU, which is just one among many examples. It doesn't matter that we export more outside the EU - the basis of those exports still relies on our membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

What basket do you want Ireland to throw eggs into? The UKs one, like the old days? I suppose it is fair enough, as others have pointed out we cannot govern ourselves + were only ever good at producing food for the big island anyway (the "few turnips on the back of a truck" as I think some UK politician put it!) + should go back to that full time.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It's unfortunate that there are a few who somehow think that EU membership has been an overall negative experience for Ireland and leaving the EU would be a positive step.

What exactly are these people on? Are they the same kind of people who believe the earth is flat?

There has to be some level of either:

-Lack of education.

-Being obtuse for the sake of it.

involved in their viewpoints. There's absolutely NO WAY this country would be where it is without EU membership, we would be a damn sight worse off.

Yeah, it's not all a bed of roses but christ look at the evidence in front of you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

That would be the European Union, by quite a large margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Fred Cryton

It's probably fair to say that it was US investment which actually transformed Ireland, while the 12.5% corporate tax rate and the EU was vital in facilitating that investment through tax incentives, the single market and infrastructure development.

So it depends which you think is more important, the facilitation (EU) or the actual driver of change (US investment).

Remember that the 1980's, while we were firmly in the EU, was one of the worst times economically in the history of the State. While the 1960's, when we were outside, was boomtime.

I'm not critical of the EU, it is obviously beneficial to Ireland, but it's important not to assign 100% of the weight to it as the factor that transformed Ireland. It's more like 35%.

Only if you compare apples to oranges but grouping all our exports to EU states together, which is not how exports are usually measured

Here's a quick recap:

The majority of our exports are to outside the EU

the majority of our imports are from outside the EU

One of the funniet things about this lot is the conflation of the single market, which we had access to since 1973, with the EU, a supranational political entity that soaked us for over 50 billion to protect the country that dominates the single market.

Oh good god! It is not apples and oranges Dyr. 1 is 1 and 2 is 2. A percentage is a percentage end of story, to say otherwise is utter bullshit.

Better tell the government that so: "the The US continues to be Ireland’s biggest single goods export market"

Speaking of the government, I see they effortlessly changed their tune on the NI protocol to match the new approach by the Head Office in Brussels, mistakes were made on all sides now, apparently 🤣:

Once again it is not, the EU is. As a single country the US but but the EU is our biggest market. You have also deliberately refused to address how Ireland would trade with the UK and US from outside the EU, but like Aaron Banks and Nigel Farrage you have no interest in fact Dyr.

Have I mentioned leaving the EU? No. So what are you waffling on about?

Interestingly enough, Ireland traded quite happily with the US and UK before the EEC and before Maastricht. I know you like to pretend that nothing is possible without the EU but the world will keep turning after it inevitably goes the way of the dodo.

Ireland did not trade happily with the UK or the US prior to entry to the EU Dyr, you are displaying remarkable ignorance. Ireland was bullied and abused by both the UK and the US in trade in the 50 years prior to the EU. Our whiskey industry was destroyed by the US in preference to the UK whiskey industry and our economy was utterly wrecked in a trade war with the UK.

The falseholds you are using are either deliberate or more likely given the ignorance in face of fact I suspect you are not as you claim Irish at all. How else does an Irish person live in ignorance of that fact that we were a net 40 billion net beneficiary of EU funds or how is an Irish person unaware of the UK-Irish trade war?

I'll tell you it's a pretty poor single/common market if it is now illegitimate to group all these "exports"/"imports" as one part of trade. Indeed I believe technically "exports" and "imports" are terms for what is coming from or going to the Single Market. The intra Single Market stuff is supposed to be like internal trade (there are other terms of art for it).

Your rewriting of history + distortions in other posts are just offensive now.

That last is IMO Varadkar/Irish govt. (not the EU) trying quite hard to mollify the British now they detect that there could be someone who might be capable of negotiating who is not a fanatic (or beholden to fanatics) on other side of the table from them (and the EU!). I thought you would approve of that + would like to see a bit of plámás + doffing of the old cap to the British? 😕😀

You mean while Ireland was a part of the United Kingdom and the Commonwealth as opposed to when it became Ireland?

If that was abuse what was saddling us with 50 billion of debt? Tough love? Fummy how you can quote the smaller figure of 40 billion to pretend the books are blanaced in our favour

Very poor effort.

• Advertisement

Wrong again Dyr, we tooks loans of 50 billion and were told to repay them. Can I please live in your fantasy world where I can get unlimited loans I don't need to repay.

Pretty much everything you post is an easily demonstrable lie.

Fanatics? Very poor, the British have a lot faults but fanaticism is not one of them

That's more a continetal thing, Germans, French, Italians etc. boys who have produced governments of fanatics. In fact, our Euro cousins tend not to have a great track record when it comes to democracy, very prone to statism.

BTW Ireland ceased to be part of the UK in 1922, left the commonwealth in 1932 and the Trade war started late 1932. However I already stated you either have no grasp of fact or are a liar.

We didnt take any loans out, nor did were we obliged to cover them.

Still nice to see the craven instinct of the classic west brit seamlessly transferred to the Europhile

Coming from someone who has zero knowledge of Ireland I find the statement west brit utterly laughable.

Ha, of course they (Tory Brexiteers) are not fanatics as regards their opinions of the EU and relations with member states incl. Ireland when you agree with them eh?

Let's just stick with present day European politics, not WW2 and pre WW2 and Doughty Britain's "finest hour" standing up to the fascists yet again (yawn).

Anyway the invisible hand gave a right good slappping to their darling PM Liz Truss when she tried to put the loons economic ideas into practice, and some sanity has returned for however long it lasts, so the Irish govt. have their hopes high.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

EU Free trade ? .. how is VRT on personal cars eg. 2nd hand cars from germany or France, still allowed per EU goods trade rules ??

EU challanged Apple's corporate tax, I'd like to see them challange Ireland's VRT.

EU challenged and lost Apples corporate tax.

However in regard to VRT I would full support you! The body that needs to be challenged on this however is not the EU, it is the Irish government.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Widowmaker

I believe it has been challenged with the outcome being that Vehicle Registration Tax isn't actually a tax, it is a charge to register the car in Ireland, a charge that is applicable to everyone, so applied evenly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭Wolf359f

The EU did challenge Irish VRT and found it against the spirit of the rules , they did use a more technical term.

But it's not an illegal tax, it's a registration tax to enable the car be legally driven on the roads. Technically it doesn't hamper free trade. We're also not the only country in the EU who pays a registration tax.

Not that I agree with VRT though and the crazy way it's calculated, but that's for another thread.

Advertisement