Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Green" policies are destroying this country

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Not sure if it's gone live just yet but it was supposed to back in October I believe.

Eirgrid are looking to increase SNSP again this year and also reduce the inertia on the system from 23GWs to 20GWs. It's going to be very interesting to see the effects on the grid of reducing this inertia. My own take it that we may be near the limit already of the amount of inertia they can take off the system before starting to effect the entire grids power quality.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

The only reason private car use will reduce is because of "green" policy making them unafordable. Ordinary citizens standard of living is being destroyed by these policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

None of this is how RESS works or reflects how wind generators bid into the day-ahead market and are settled in the balancing market. Wind farms have a marginal cost per MWh of zero. They typically bid in at around zero for that reason. Unsurprisingly they are reluctant to operate if the price is negative.

The reason France can have lots of massive nuclear plants is because no one plant ever accounts for more than ten percent of the grid’s demand.

You have made your point that you are angry about wind, especially offshore wind.

You don't need a car for a good standard of living.

My standard of living and disposable income has never been greater since I got rid of the car.

An utterly absurd comment based on your individual circumstances

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

I agree - policy would be better directed at making all private vehicle ownership (inc EVs) in designated urban areas, very expensive if not banned outright. Put in good quality free public transport instead and let people choose between this and walking/ cycling in these zones.

For the rest of country, where public transport is costly and inefficient - continue to support private transport and ensure it's a reasonably priced solution.

It’s percentage of the trough demand, not the peak demand. Do you even read what I write?

Not really. Life is a series of decisions, each of which has a pro and a con.

The pro of my decision not to own a car is more money in my pocket, better health from walking/cycling, less stress when travelling as someone else is doing the driving, lower environmental impact etc

The con is sometimes it rains when I walk/cycle but thats what rain gear is for, sometimes PT times don't suit but I just adjust my plans accordingly, some journeys can't be done by walking/cycling/PT but thats when I use GoCar.

On balance it makes no sense for me to own a car anymore and I'm better off to the tune of around 7.5k eur a year compared to when I owned the car

For you the pro's and con's of your decision in relation to a car will be different I'm sure, but thats for you to figure out :)

The howls of anguish if this came to pass.... not out of the realm of possibility

Green Party leader Eamon Ryan believes his party could overturn the boom-bust cycle of Irish politics at the next election by actually increasing its number of seats.

Mr Ryan said if the party continues to deliver on its programme for government commitments there is no reason why it could not improve its performance electorally, as other Green parties have done in Europe.

In the Republic, the electoral pattern for small parties, with few exceptions, is that they lose seats after serving in government. Mr Ryan suggested that the Greens, who won 7 per cent of the vote in the 2020 election, should be at the 10 per cent mark. The Minister for Climate and Transport was speaking at a round-table Christmas interview with reporters.

“We should be one in 10,” he said. “I think if we go to the people in the next election and ask this question, ‘would you be prepared to cast this vote as one in 10 to say that we want to secure the future for our children?’ I think I’m confident we could do that.”

But that’s not what you said is it? Your post said “you don’t need a car for a good standard of living”, in response to another poster talking about the collective. That is a patently absurd comment and illustrates the extent to which you want to impose your lifestyle decisions on everyone else

What you actually meant to say was “I don’t need a car for a good standard of living given my personal circumstances”. You could indeed have finished it with “aren’t I great”.

FWIW I lived in London for a decade with no car. There was no need to have one. Dublin, let alone the rest of Ireland, is not London

• Advertisement

This will be a hugely popular green policy with families around the country

Roderic O’Gorman, Minister for Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth today welcomed the introduction of new subsidy rates under the National Childcare Scheme, which is set to substantially reduce out of pocket costs for early learning and childcare for thousands of families across the country.

From 2 January, the minimum hourly subsidy under the National Childcare Scheme for all children under 15 will be €1.40 – an increase of €0.90 per hour from last year.

For families using Tusla-registered early learning and childcare, this subsidy increase represents further cost reductions of €2,106 (or a reduction of €3,326 in total) off the annual cost of early learning and childcare for each child.

The change to the National Childcare Scheme is being backed by €121 million secured in Budget 2023 by Minister O’Gorman, bringing total funding for the Scheme to €358 million this year.

Record numbers of children are now accessing supports under the Scheme. More than 98,000 children are currently in receipt of support, representing an 82% increase in the number of children for the same period last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nevermind the hot air and wishful thinking, it is the amount of shyte they come out with that is the goldmine.

Also we are concentrating on green environmental policies, but whatabout their open borders policies as advanced by green minister and second halfwit in chief Roddy O'Gormless.

The laugh is they want to increae population drastically at same time as cut emissions.

Fooking halfwits that shouldn't be let within a million miles of organising a parish sale or work nevermind setting government policy.

I am not allowed discuss …

what?

anyway, you again let slip your inner zealot. I certainly read all your posts through that lens

• Registered Users Posts: 15,114 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What are you on about now. Do you even know how the marginal pricing policy operates.

Wind farms, regardless of their cost per MWh, do not have to bid a price for the day-ahead market under the marginal pricing policy. They are offered first bid as to the volume they can supply for that market, and at the end of the day are paid the same rate as the most expensive fossil fuel component in the generated mix. Even if that fossil fuel component only supplies a tiny proportion. If wind farms have a marginal cost per MWh of zero as you say, then is it not surprising that recently in the U.K. some shut down when the wholesale price was high. At a marginal cost to them of zero, then you would imagine there would have still been money in it for them. Unless that is their marginal costs aren`t the zero you believe them to be.

With our demand set to rise, especially with all these 400,000 heat pumps, 1 million EV`s and all the other electrical guzzling addition greens talk about, then what is to prevent Ireland using small reactor plants. Especially with your contention that a sudden 10% drop off in demand generation would result in our grid imploding when we know that there was double that drop off (20% of demand at the time) and our grid was just fine.

Not in the slightest bit angry about wind in any form. More a case of being feed up listening to posters who believe themselves experts in any other alternatives to this offshore idea, where they can quote chapter and verse on such alternatives while mysteriously not one of them can even give the most basic answers to their so called plan. The cost.

As I said before, if you cannot give a cost then you do not have a plan. You have a wish list that you are attempting to sell as a pig in a poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,882 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Fully agree that private vehicle ownership should be made much more expensive. However, why should we exempt unsustainable rural living that is already doing much more damage to the environment? Working farms can have a one-car allowance, plus working vehicles. The rest of the rural living need to pay the costs of the damage as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

WOW - scratch the surface of a greenie and look at the authoritarian barely beneath.

How about Working Farms in Ireland only supply the likes of Blanchardstown with enough to sustain the local population with one-meal a day?

If you want to slam the red fist down on rural Ireland, expect a green middle finger in response.

I have no problem with rural living just that rural dwellers should pay the price for it.

Healthcare, education, postal services, banking services, all of these are more costly and less sustainable when provided to dispersed rural populations. Taxation policies should reflect this.

Once again, I am not talking about the food production sector in rural Ireland, just the bungalow blight and ribbon development.

I'm a zealot because I don't own a car.... umm ok lol

https://westerndevelopment.ie/insights/1-in-4-working-in-agriculture-forestry-fishing-in-ireland-live-in-western-region/

"At a county level, in 2016 Agriculture, Forestry & Fishing was most important in Roscommon (9%), followed closely by Leitrim (8.6%) and Mayo (8.5%). All other western counties have around 7% working in the sector and are considerably above the national average."

This is what I mean, rural areas are not full of farmers and fishermen. The levels of employment in those areas is incredibly low.

• Advertisement

Ah, you are talking about the old market arrangements. Under the new arrangements (i-SEM since 2018) things are quite different. Wind generators don’t absolutely have to bid in but they could find themselves in trouble if they don’t, because the balancing price could go negative on a windy day and they would find themselves being penalized for high production if they have not bid in in advance. Curtailment payments also require the wind generator to have bid in in advance as far as I remember.

Why are so many Irish people building one-off housing?

The reason: The only ones able to afford tracts of land inside of city, town and village limits are developers who in turn cram as many houses into a field as possible.

Alot of Irish people find that type of yellow-pack estate living unattractive and thus move to the countryside where land is cheaper and they can build a much better quality building.

I guarantee you, if the green movement were serious about drastically reducing one-off rural housing they'd champion making available sites at affordable rates to people to build their own house within the limits of an existing city, town or village.

But I guess it's much easier berate people who live in one-off rural Ireland from the pulpit and advocate for harsher penal taxes on them.

Cromwell is alive and well in the Green movement - only this time it's "to Hell or to Dublin"

Again, let people who don't like "yellow-pack" estates as you call them, and selfishly want a 3,000 sq. ft. McMansion on half an acre go off and build in the countryside, but then tax them for the increased costs of healthcare, education, postal services, etc., and don't exempt them from rules on private car ownership. They can have the right to do it, but the responsibility to pay for it.

There are significant grants for renovating houses in towns and villages and many available cheaply, so there are options within the limits of existing towns and villages.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,459 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What about people that live in the city but travel around the country to work sites?

Do you want to price them out of a living?

This would solve a lot of the existing traffic problems if it comes to pass

Wow. Very childish. Let’s leave it there so.

A heatwave in Europe is impacting ski resorts.

Expect later in the year to see further droughts, rivers running dry and nuclear & hydro power stations being curtailed due to reduced water as there's going to be a lot less snow melt later this year

France recorded temperatures of almost 25C on Sunday, with more than 100 local records broken. In Switzerland and Poland, temperatures failed to drop below 19C in some areas during the early hours of Sunday.

Belgium recorded its hottest December day on Saturday in the town of Diepenbeek at 17.5C, exceeding the previous national record of 17.2C recorded in Brussels in 1953 and 1989.

Average temperatures in Germany were above 15C and Belarus broke its January record in Visokaye by 4.5C, reaching 16.4C.

Ditto for those mansions that stretch for miles and miles along the coast from Sandymount right down to Bray. Another smattering of them from Clontarf out to Howth. One-off McMansions with their electronic gates in one massive sprawl like ooze out of the city centre.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%. Standard semi-d is 1320 sq ft. LPT should be higher for every sq ft above this, and also be higher for valuations above the county median.

Advertisement