Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pope Benedict has died...

Options
  • 01-01-2023 2:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭

Surprised not to see a thread on this, I no religion and it's hold on society has all but vanished but still, he was an important figure be it for good, or for bad.

I don't think anyone known as "gods rottweiler " is going to be remembered too fondly by modern standards, sure he'll have a few ultras behind him and I suppose that's fitting because that's what he was, an ultra-conservative who gave the impression of being very cold and harsh, he had an us against them attitude and such a high opinion of the Church that I think it blinded him to the horrors going on under his nose, by all accounts before he was pope he worked directly in a department that dealt with sex abuse claims and such, so in all honesty he can't hide from it or claim ignorance due to the sheer scale of abuse that was going on, defender will say as pope he did act on it but was it too little too late considering his previous position? I reckon most would say yes.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Meh... Not a fan but RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭bassy

Zzzzzz zzzzzzzzz

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Probably one of the greatest minds the Roman Catholic Church ever produced.

He wasn't afraid to challenge his beliefs and be open. Some of his work in fairness got me thinking again about life and death and why we're here.

Rest in peace Joseph Ratzinger and I hope Heaven is everything that you ever wished it to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,436 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

I wonder will it be long before the current incumbent steps aside? will he observe a respectful mourning period and stay on till after easter?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

What do you expect?

He died in the same week as Pele.

He was a man of god (whatever that even means anymore).

While Pele was an actual living god! 😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭StevenToast

Pele brought joy to billions and will be remembered forever....

Alot more than any pope will ever do.

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users Posts: 10,659 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

@Sandor Clegane Surprised not to see a thread on this

You didn't look too hard. But then again you probably didn't think of the obvious Religion & Spirituality Forum.

Personally I could take or leave Benedict. I never warmed to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Your supposition is untrue. Joy has many forms. Pele I had never heard of until now whereas A good Pope can bring more than joy as well as joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,282 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

True. There seem to be a lot of people rejoicing in the death of the former pope, so he appears to have brought some joy to the world after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Places like Religion are not the place for this.

People have to remind us how much they hate the Catholic church by posts in a thread here in Current Affairs.

Thus the OPs surprise that no one had started venting about the Catholic church already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭JayRoc

Search doesn't work on boards anymore, so hardly his fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,903 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I doubt you will find many rejoicing in the death of a frail 95 year old who retired almost 10 years ago.

On the other hand many millions of people all over the world will pray for him in churches today.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

He definitely leaves behind a legacy in the form of the egg-based breakfast he invented

• Registered Users Posts: 15,217 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Ah come on.

You don't need the search utility to find that there is a Religion & Spirituality Forum around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,826 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The R&S forum is a crock of shte for anyone but the pius and a craic vacuum even by CA standards. We wouldn't be allowed have any sort of balanced debate over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

Its not about hating the church or venting, he was an important figure and one with a lot of power and standing within the church, it's only fair to talk about and discuss his legacy, be it good or bad, it kind of comes with the territory when you hold positions of power.

I'm aware there is a religion and spirituality forum on boards but I personally think a pope dying is worthy of a thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,328 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Gods Rottweiler and the Panzer Cardinal was another one….

You hardly attain such appellations by being a mild mannered, well thought of nice sort of individual.

i wouldn’t say Benedict will be long in following him, either into retirement or to the end of his life.. mostly wheelchair bound and I’m seeing is 86…and is looking it all of a sudden.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

It wasn’t his personality that got him that nickname- he was actually reported as being very kind and quite shy in real life- it was his dogged conservatism and knowledge and implementation of canon law that got him Gods Rottweiler title, long before he became pope.

He was a pope for another time- like maybe 50 years ago or more- he didn’t understand the modern world nor did he wish to. He was much happier being an academic, writing papers and being behind the scenes.

Pope Francis is a different kettle again- he’s moved away from the dogma that has ruined the Catholic Church and simply ignores the fact that the church still has such controversial teachings around homosexuality divorce etc In some respects I’d respect Benedict more- while I didn’t agree with his views I respected him staying true to his beliefs- Francis is playing games- he’s giving catholics false hope that their religion is becoming more understanding of the human condition but in reality nothing will change -that’s actually quite cowardly

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

There aren't. You're just using a man's death to take shots at people you dislike.

He sat on a golden throne while lecturing people about charity and he ran an organisation that protected child molesters. I'm not glad he's passed but I'm not going to pretend that he's some sort of saint either.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Indeed, Frankie is the first Anglican pope.😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

I think he’s trying to be all things to all people but that’s not what people want- I reckon next pope will be much more conservative.

What you said is all true, but even though Benedict was true to his beliefs and church dogma, one could argue that Francis is just being more practical in an ever changing world, the truth is the churches influence and power is waning and they all no it, Francis presents a more tolerant figure I think to prevent them becoming totally irrelevant, the harsh conservativism that Benedict adheres to simply wont wash in todays society, an approach like that would continue to further alienate the church, and today more so than ever harsh church dogma is yoo hard to swallow knowing how sullied the churches hands are, taking moral advice and listening to them condemn homosexuals, condom usage, divorce etc when they themselves have committed countless genuine atrocities just isn't going to wash.

Although I have read Benedict accepting this and suggesting a smaller church is now needed to keep it's message alive and true to its roots.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,574 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I just did a basic search for 'Pope Benedict' and got the following results (1-10 of 679):

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Ham_Sandwich

cathaholic church has had its day break it down and sell off all the treasiures they have to pay for the abuse victims

Did you hear about the new nazi? Used to be a pope : Doug Stanhope 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 8,376 ✭✭✭corner of hells

I'd like to make a bid for this , it'd look good in my front garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭squidgainz

Each pope will be less conservative than the last , as the church desperately try to cling on to whatever power they have left.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

As long as those selecting every new pope are a crowd of 70 and 80 year old cardinals nothing will change... self interest in perpetuum.

Oh and did I mention.. all male?!

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭AllForIt

If there was anything impressive he done it was to resign, and I don't mean that as an insult. I know the Vatican warpped that up due to him not being able to cope but we all know why he really resigned.

Advertisement