Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway traffic

Options

Comments

Yep. Up the Headford, then right up the Sean Molvoy, round the roundabout to head back to Eyre Square via Taylor's Hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,107 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bringing it there does make some sense but how much would the detour add to the eventual journey time for those who are more likely to not be going there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I thought the post was very coherent & does sum up the holier than thou attitude to anyone outside the city or that HAS to drive through it. Give us a ring road, with retail parks on it's perimeter & you can have the city all to yourselves. You will be free to enjoy the tourist shops, cafes & pubs because there won't be anything else left - the shoppers will have gone elsewhere & the jobs.

Being car less for a few days should be the perfect opportunity for me to discover that I don't need a car. But instead it just confirms how essential a car is.

[quote]Bringing it there does make some sense but how much would the detour add to the eventual journey time for those who are more likely to not be going there.[/quote]

After 10 years in Dublin sitting on -a-c and -x buses, I take it as a given there's every second bus taking a bit longer to get where I'm going to to give service to a wider catchment area. wouldn't be hard to put a circle route from Square-City Hall- Headford Rd- Sean Molvoy- Taylor's Hill in either direction for routes that start/end in Eyre Square.

The route is probably unchanged in decades. A rerouting might be in order - for those heading to the city centre they might be annoyed if they get caught in suburban traffic.

Upgrade the Western Distributor Road to a bus corridor and maybe put those country busses along that route, not sure if that is part of Galway Transportation Strategy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

Being car less for a few days should be the perfect opportunity for me to discover that I don't need a car. But instead it just confirms how essential a car is.

My conclusion from that experience would have been a confirmation that Galway has been built around a reliance on the private car and has failed to develop a connected and reliable public transport network. And that it shows how essential it is to start focusing on public transport, after years of focusing on the private car.

Why not simply route the bus onto the distributer, stop at the shopping centre & then drop down into salthill back onto the existing route ?

"I have concluded all of my ward's patient's heart attacks have been brought about by their unhealthy lifestyle. Therefore we must withhold treatment, even so far as allowing them to die, as a lesson to others to eat healthily."

I think we all agree that bus routing needs to change to adapt to a changing city.

Your example above should do well. Eyre Square to City Hall (College Rd) then somehow onto the Headford Rd then back onto Sean Mulvoy Rd which it's gone on already to get to the Headford Rd and then magically to Taylors Hill from the Sean Mulvoy Rd! Serving what purpose I don't know. Is there a large Taylor's Hill population angling to get to O'Connors or the Simon Shop? Maybe they're looking to get to the plastic surgery place, makes some sense I suppose.

• Advertisement

FYI, the proposed bus routes under the GTS

Additional info in appendix C & D

Note this is not set in stone as the GTS is up for review this year so there may be changes/tweaks/additions etc

The point is to turn the bus around to begin the return journey, and to meet other busses on the loop to allow easy transfers, distributed to disperse crowding. Also provides regular central circular route for disabled/infirm from Headford rd<->Square.

And I think you mistook the Town Hall Theatre (where Eglinton st ends) for Council Chambers (beside Yeats College, with the Crimean cannons). I'm on about routing Taylors Hill-Sean Molvoy Rd-Headford rd- Eglinton rd-loop, with entry/exit as needed for the onward route along that. Preferably anti-clockwise but you can reverse that if needs be. Would gel nicely with the Salmon Weir Bus Bridge.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

There's already a route serving the Headford Rd from Eyre Square. I can't for the life of me see how extending it out to Taylors Hill would do anything positive.

Also I didn't mistake the Town Hall Theatre for anything. You didn't mention the Town Hall Theatre until your latest post, you said City Hall, which is on College Rd, with the cannons out front.

It's all moot anyway as thankfully this incongruous route is part of the official plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Would a singular route extending from Knocknacarra, over the Quintessential bridge, to Parkmore not make a shockingly large amount of sense?

Too much sense perhaps. Going from east to west, or visa versa, involves a long wait in Eyre Square, everytime, unless the bus is significantly delayed.

I don't see how the proposed routes above fix anything really.

Also, what about those living in bohermore? Or the tuam road? No busses for them?

The problem with that route is for a lot of it, nobody lives on it

It would also be bypassing the city center area which accounts for 30% of the cities population

I've explained. if anyone else wants to ask a q instead of Benny snark over there I'm all ears. I've ignored him, he can speak at (never to) me like I'm filth all he wants but I ain't rising to it. Life's too short.

There's a very useful mobility dashboard that the council have set up.

For Knocknacarra you can see that the majority of commuters are actually heading to the city center, within the area itself, Hospital etc

The dashboard is available at https://mytrafficcounts.com/dashboard

Filth, scum, car-scum, scumbag. What'll your next one be I wonder?

All aboard the circular bus to nowhere in particular, serving, well not anyone really. And no explanation forthcoming from our sensitive friend.

@JCX BXC I thought that route had been mentioned a few months back as being up for submissions of interest. Maybe I'm remembering wrongly.

the loop I'm on about wouldn't be the entire bus route, but it'd be what most bus routes that touch onto the route would do. The idea being that the existing bus route comes into the city, does the loop all the way around till it gets to where it entered, and returns that way. If you were crossing the city you'd get off on one of the loop stops, wait there for the onward bus, and board it to your final destination. And if the City's your final stop, then that's somwhere on the loop. So instead of having to share roadspace with a dangerous road & uneven paths on the walk to the shopping centres, you get one of the various busses around to Headford Road/city as needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,798 ✭✭✭✭zell12

That route was already allocated, but the firm said it was uneconomical to run it. Just look at the traffic jams. Bus Eireann also stated that a QB route is unsuitable due to traffic jams, through Eyre Square was just as quick and suited most users.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭rustyfrog

The distributor road doesn't have a bus lane yet. I don't know the schedule of your bus but if you hit the morning rush hours in Knocknacarra you'll be adding significant time to that route.

Most shoppers won't be travelling at peak times. They could use this route say 10am to 4pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭serfboard

Another glacially-slow development brought to you by your barely active City Council. An easy win (putting Bus Lanes on both sides) and IIRC, the road was planned (in terms of width) to allow for this future development.

The pace at which every country in the world needs to accelerate developments such as this, and the pace at which the City Council is moving, seem like exact opposites.

-edit

• edit

• edit wrong thread

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭what_traffic

100%. They mentioned that it would cost 10million back in 2010/11 when they were submitting an Smarter Travel - Regional Scheme. Bus lane and cycle paths along WDR (similar to SQR/BOD which was just about to be constructed that time). They have collected millions in Development levies from NEW housing estates and apartments along this corridor since then that is meant to provide service's like this. It would have payed for infrastructure like this easily. I think its all part of the plan to be honest, a do nothing approach.

30k limits up for a vote next week. Given the past vote on the exact same thing its up in the air as to whether this will pass or not as McGrath is still seeking to increase limits on some roads which is why the 30k proposal failed in the past

RIP

RTE news : Woman dies after hit-and-run incident in Co Galway

Edit: additional details contained in the article below

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement

It wasn't a hit and run as the driver involved waited at the scene. Due to the delayed arrival of Gardai the person presented themselves to the station instead, after the ambulance crew had left. Very poor reporting from all involved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement