Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market chat II - *read mod note post #1 before posting*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭FedoraTheAura

The madness of the last few years really seems to have come to a fairly juddering halt halfway through the year, like many other countries.

Two quarters now of asking price decreases, and mentions in this of ‘froth’ going out of the market and a ‘price correction’.

There is a “risk … that vendors or estates are slow to accept changed market conditions and settle transactions below asking prices”.

House price multiples are now extremely close to those in the UK. Interest rates here aren’t at their level but may well be within the next few months from what the ECB has laid out. There was a similar stubbornness to accept the market declining there too, until finalised sale prices were confirmed to be dropping.

The Central Banks decision to ease lending rules may throw a spanner in the works but that happening at the same time as reports like this coming out, people may begin holding off as they’re expecting, and therein helping bring about, price drops.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,034 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Of course there will be an end and they will begin to rise again.

I remember the property pin forum in 2012, there wasnt a house in the country at any price that people wouldnt say was too expensive (at the bottom of the market) 500k for a period house in ranelagh was too much and it had further to go. It didnt and the same house is worth 3-4x now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

"The author of the report, Davy chief economist Conall Mac Coille, warned that buyers were stretched to a degree not seen since 2009."

Seems fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,502 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The only way house prices drop is if build prices drop. Materials had been dropping, but word filtering through that they are starting to increase again. Hearing that steel is starting to increase after falling a bit in price in the last 4-6 months. Timber was supposed to be getting cheaper bit it again is moving upwards. Concrete because of carbon taxes will not move substantially

The other variables remain constant as far as I can see labour, professional costs, tax and site costs.

Hard to see a substantial fall. A correction where the heat that was there early in 2022 is corrected back is possible but will prices stabilise at that or start to move again.

The final factor in cost is interest rate increases. Most saving will be swallowed by fixed rate interest increase over a five year period especially if you factor in any amount of time renting.

Predictions

Froth to leave market. It to stabilise or slightly fall off end of 2022 prices which we will see from selling price figures which will start to filter through from March '23 on. 10% in Dublin a bit less elsewhere, rural area to see prices still increasing

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭fliball123

Where are you getting your information about building material prices rising again? As what I am seeing is costs have been coming down over the last 6 months and will continue to come down slowly but surely throughout 2023. Now the question is will the price drops decrease be passed on to the buyer or will the builder just improve their margins.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Do you realize inflation will become a much more serious problem if they do react to delinquencies by cutting interest rates? This war NATO provoked with our Russian friends is supposed to make us think Russia is responsible for the inflation central banks have caused.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

On thing for sure, cement, concrete and blocks will not come back down in price. Carbon tax on the cement, the push to make greener cement by transitioning to more expensive fuels, carbon dioxide additives for concrete etc will mean this is only going one way and that's up regardless of whether demand falls or not.

Sad reality, this push for a high ESG score seems to be more of a priority than profit margins or revenue.

Even with the carbon tax adding to the few construction raw materials you mentioned the other inputs that factor into cement, blocks and other construction materials like the supply chain issues which is what has really racked up the prices pre carbon tax. If they continue to subside prices of all construction materials will drop. You only have to look at the construction CPIs dropped at the end of the year and the construction output as of the last recording was down 4.5% in the last quarter and the construction PMI has contracted in both October and November to show that construction is experiencing a serious decline. The factor that will push prices down and has been borne out from the 3 indicators I have mentioned is affordability and value. No point in building a house that costs 750k when over 90% of the population cannot afford this. Same goes with extensions people will just live in what they have unless they see value in it and currently there isn't. It will also be seen in the prices of property with interest rates going higher and higher people simply will not be able to buy and the increase to wages over the last 2 years have come no where near inflation so in layman's terms the population have less disposable cash to play with.

In Sean Quinn's words cement is made of stone and sh!te. The Sh!the part varies little in price, the real cost is the energy not just used to produce it but the in the transport of its raw materials and in its transport itself. After the 2008-2010 crash concrete fell.in price by about 15-25% in Ireland where we had gone from building nearly 50k houses a year to zero.

We are not in that scenario at present and even if we were the government is adding 5-8% in cost to it a year in carbon tax on it and on fuel. Electricity prices are unlikely to decline any time soon.

My understanding on steel was that there was a hope that the war in Ukraine would be ending around now and this would feed up manufactured steel out of Ukraine and Russia along with a large supply of heavy scrap steel for smelting. This is unlikely now to materialize before the end of 2023 at this stage.

Building labour costs will remain stubbornly high in Dublin because of the issue with labour and it travelling in and out of that sh!thole (sorry city).

While extensions will not come into play in Dublin they will provide an alternative option outside Dublin if material drops a bit and labour costs slightly soften.

Which is better 1k/ week in Carlow, Laois, Offaly or Westmeath or 1.5k/ week in Dublin.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

Electricity, gas, petrol, diesel will all come down in the next 12 to 18 months. I don't know where your getting it will not decline. Already there has been a massive shift to off shore wind not to mention other technologies that will reduce our dependance on oil and gas for electricity. The petrol pump is a good indicator in general for costs and that is slowly but surely heading south.

As for the war this could end tomorrow it could end in 10 years. The fact is if something like steel is left up at a price that is untangable for a long period of time other players and suppliers will come into the equation.

Also after watching the doc on Quinn the lad isnt exactly god when it comes to anything business/financial or building related.

Incorrect. While electricity will soften oil, gas will not especially oil based products. The 20c/L of a tax rebate is supposed to end in March, best case scenario is that 10c is left on for six months. 12-18 months is a long time extra carbon taxes will offset any price decreases. Renewables are not not cheaper than coal or oil based systems, renewables energy based solutions need 100% backup of a fast cut in system which keeps there prices high as well. Offshore wind is more expensive than any present generation system. While electricity prices will drop they will remain more expensive than prices of 12 months ago

Where will new supplies of steel come from. India or China. Any new build needs to make sure it labour and input costs are similar to Ukraine/Russia for when they come back.on line. It takes years to put new suppliers(furnaces) in place.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭Villa05

In any economy a supply/demand balance coupled with affordability is an extreme positive for any economy.

It is an amazing own goal to be in the position we are now when the above was easily achievable from a 2012 starting point

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

If house construction lsows down or stops it will be different to 2008 on because there will be nothing to buy after it stops. Last time there was plenty for people to by. There was a huge over supply at the time construction stopped.

Plenty of people to buy but the affordability of buying with at least another 2% interest rate rises for 2023 will see the number of people actually being able to afford to buy fall off a cliff.

Well we will have to agree to disagree and have another chat in say 12 months time but IMO - petrol prices, heating oil prices dropping over the last couple of months. 3 main indicators for construction showing a massive slowdown due to demand for construction raw materials disappearing and this before a recession and another 2% interest rates increases as well as the Ukraine war and the issues with China are still ongoing?

Wind energy is and will be cheaper to produce as the technology progresses

Doesnt matter though does it because there will be nothing for them to buy. Looks like the will all be stuck renting even IF they could afford to buy. It was a different story in 2008/9.

You say that, yet there is so much that can happen in the next 12 months which is why I am agreeing to disagree with an different poster as the goal posts could well and truly move in the next year.

Ukraine war could finish.

China could finally get its sh1te together.

We could have a wave of migration outwards from people who simply cant buy or rent to other countries. There is evidence of this ramping up from last year

We are going into a recession and with that comes a downturn in peoples spending and that's on everything from the 4 euro lattes to the millionaire gaffs in the sticks. Be interesting how many domestic companies hit the wall in 2023.

We may see the advance of the modular homes which there is 5k due this year they are cheap and quick to build and would solve a lot our demand issues if this process were ramped up, add in the last bit of business pushed through the Dail with regards to planning will also speed things up.

The way I see it is this time next year we will be looking at more supply and less demand than there is currently. Add in interest rates going up at least another 2% its going to take a lot of heat out of buying a house or building that extension.

I think ive head a variation of all those things every year for ... oh i cant remember how long its been that long ive been hearing it. How many years is it now we are trying to get supply to even be anywhere near demand? A lot. How close have we got? Not very. Nope nothing changing here.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭jimmybobbyschweiz

2023 has begun with the commercial property train driving over the cliff edge and, as in a cartoon, it is at the very moment where it has not yet lost momentum and started to fall, but the fall is imminent.

The world's largest landlord and a definite bellwether for Irish commercial property, effectively being bailed out with its massive BREIT commercial property fund. Extraordinary terms attached to the bailout that would, in my view, render it pretty much below investment grade.

Hold onto your potatoes!

• Advertisement

Well two big differences to other years are interest rates which has only been ramped up last year and will continue to ramp up this year I mean what if we head north of 6/7/8%. Also modular homes are only coming on stream this year as well. They both will be game changers to the supply / demand paradigm that currently exists but I do take your point on emigration and the other factors mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,468 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

How was balancing supply with demand, and ensuring affordability “easily achievable”?

There are always slight differences every year. Hell there was a pandemic for a couple of years.

Doid supply get within an asses roar of demand. Nowhere near it. It never will now. There was a time when I thought it was possible. These days im convinced it is impossible and actually only going to go in the opposite direction.

Well we will just have to wait and see. If the government want to turn it around they should be throwing the kitchen sink at modular builds, but you could be right lets see where we are in Jan 24

Indeed we will have to wait and see. As have been waiting and seeing every year for a decade or so. Cant see the scales of supply and demand going any direction but the direction they've been going for so long now though tbh.

You never know. I might be wrong and supply will overtake demand :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,412 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Sites in my area which were quoted around 100k about 7 or 8 years ago are still up for sale today by the same original owners, but now for up to 250k. Someone must not have let them know that site costs were fixed.

You do have to factor in affordability I mean you can want to buy a house all you want but if you cant afford it your not really part of the demand side. I can see it evening out of a few years.

Fair enough but back to my original point that if there are no houses to buy, it doesnt really matter. I think we are going around in circles here, so i will bow out.

• Registered Users Posts: 694 ✭✭✭al87987

Anecdotal but a construction company in Dublin (Not residential construction Co. tbf) with 100+ employees went into insolvency the week before Christmas, all employees terminated and a lot of the creditors (other construction related firms, some in residential) saying the bad debt loss could put them under too.

• Advertisement

Have you any specific deatils on the name of the co? I can see these ramping up

Advertisement