Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 years and four days in the European Union today

Options
123457»

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It’s sad but not surprising that this thread I created to mark Ireland’s 50th anniversary of EU membership would be hijacked by the foaming at the mouth usual suspects on here who seem to deny the basic facts that being in Europe has transformed Ireland for the better in every possible way.

Yes, we could have continued to develop if we had not joined up in 1973, but it would have been at a far, far slower pace and given the huge disadvantages of being outside the Single Market and customs union, as Britain is now finding out to its great cost, we would have had a Norway style arrangement and eventually joined up anyway.

People seem to forget that the massive transfer of regional development funding from Brussels between the 1970s and 2000s enabled Ireland to develop and expand its third level education sector and provided badly needed modern infrastructure that simply would not have happened were we not in the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,417 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Indeed- it’s only “EU rules” when it suits the utterly incompetent vegetables here

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Are you blaming the EU or Irish authorities for the imposition of VRT? Because it's a tax levied in Ireland, not in Brussels.

For the slow learners here, the EU has little to no competency in taxation at a national level - if they did, a lot would be spitting the dummy about it. Do you want to see a European tax on your payslip?

EU organs have taken a view on VRT (basically its against the spirit of the common market) but they can't touch it because they are extremely limited in how they can intervene in members state's taxation policy (next to no power).

What do you want? The EU to start laying down tax rules for Ireland or not?

There's a level of political and legal illiteracy at play in this thread that even I'm surprised at.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭paul71

It is not illiteracy Yurt, they are calculated deliberate lies.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Tax, duty, registration charge, call it whatever Dear Irish government, but its nuts. In 2016, I registered an EU car in Germany while working there. If I recall, it cost me around €30 fee, which included the two number plates.

In 2018, I brought the car back to Ireland, they wanted €8,000 VRT! Even though I had payslips, rent receipts, bank statements, car insurance, etc. To prove i lived in Germany for 2 years and it was my car during this time ... they still wanted more, and more, and more evidence that it was for personal use, that I had a reason to return to Ireland (like its my home with my own house is not good enough), ie. They wanted evidence that I had secured a job in Ireland to make me stay, that my lease was up in Germany to prove I had left for good, etc. In the end I drove it back sold it in Germany just as I was sick of all the sh*te.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Juran

Yes I know. All to do with Ireland illegally applying goods import duty for EU goods. And VRT is just a name to get around it being an import duty.

It's not illegal. You may not like it, I may not like it, but it's not illegal. And it has nothing to do with the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I really don't understand this mentality. However, this article is a really good rebuttal of the EU flat-earthers.

"Anthony Coughlan always seemed to me to be harkening back to a traditional Ireland reminiscent of De Valera’s comely maidens dancing at the crossroads. By large majorities, the Irish people have decided to move on and embrace their opportunities in Europe and beyond leaving behind old conflicts based on religion, tribal affiliation, class, defensive definitions of national identity or gender. The vast majority of our people are now attaining third level qualifications which enable them to work in high skills, high productivity occupations in many parts of the world or in Ireland as they choose. Please forgive us if this comes across as disinterest in the problems of the old world. We have a new world to build."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Them's some mighty fine apples and oranges you have their.

We didn't trade quite happily with the US and UK before the EEC but even if we did the past, as they say, is a foreign land.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I do always like to point out that if you bring you comely maidens dancing at crossroads then it's a fair indication that you're a dullard who just mindlessly regurgitates what you've heard from generations of equally dull witted hacks. Devalera made no such comment.

While it is a misquote, as an expression of the isolationist tendencies of the DeValera governments, it is accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,859 ✭✭✭growleaves

He makes some good points but you quote the silliest paragraph in the article.

"Anthony Coughlan always seemed to me to be harkening back to a traditional Ireland reminiscent of De Valera’s comely maidens dancing at the crossroads."

Coughlan was a university lecturer, a literary editor, a Labour Party organiser and an early Civil Rights activist. But yeah he just wants to live in a rustic pictureseque land of rolling hills and farms.

Post edited by growleaves on

Anthony Coughlan was an unreconstructed isolationist nationalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭donaghs

Irish lefties and nationalists have traditionally been anti-EEC. But similar to Labour in the UK, they become more pro-EU in the late 80s/early 90s (except people like Anthony Coughlan and Jeremy Corbyn).

Coughlan may have some good points about national sovereignty, but in all honestly, what do you think Ireland’s economy would look like if we hadn't joined the EU?

Coughlan may not like to admit, but we would be poorer. There would be less inward investment, meaning we would still be more reliant on the agricultural sector etc. The “maidens dancing at the crossroads” is an old cliche, but i certainly see the point of an Ireland outside the EU/EEC being more socially conservative, with a bigger percentage of the economy in farming etc. Portugal had similar issues and transformation (albeit essentially a dictatorship until the 70s).

Advertisement