Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Random Renewables Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Happy Christmas everyone. Hopefully (for everyone's sake) nobody gets any coal from Santa.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭The devils

Guys wrong thread completely and if thus gets moved/deleted I completely understand.

Heat pump tumble dryer threads any advice would be welcome (I have gas tumble dryer installed and may be gone soon).

Tk you.

• Administrators Posts: 370 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭System

This discussion was created from comments split from: Solar PV Hints, Tips & Troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,400 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Recently went from a condensing tumble dryer to a heat pump tumble dryer. Old one used 5kWh per cycle (big load), new one only 2kWh per cycle (even bigger load). I do get complaints though that it is slow. Meh. Better slow and cheap than fast and expensive. I pay the bills here 😂

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 8,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jonathan

Do you have a temperature/humidity meter nearby by any chance? Our existing condensing tumble drier seems to be a bit crap at condensing with the result that you can clearly see when it has been on by looking at the nearby humidity meter. 😂

Would be interested to see if the heat pump drier is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Used a Beko Heat Pumo dryer for 10years, when replacing the small impellor water pump I titled the Dryer over too much and degassed the unit so rendered it fit for nothing (well it went to the scrap merchants).

Anyhow, fully recommend Beko, very reliable, that was the first time it needed attention in the 10years, the part was only around €30 and had I not been stupid it would still be working perfectly, our dryer is used every night over the Winter and a lot the remainder of the year, no vapour sensation in the air after use. Got mine from Power City.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

I haven't noticed any difference in humidity and both had a large reservoir for the condensed water which seems to fill up regularly. I think it's a bit of a heat pump thing that it takes a lot more time though? Of course there was a lot more heat coming out of the old dryer. Which is not lost in winter, but I'd rather not use my battery for that, or even peak rate electricity!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

We're on our second heat pump dryer (last one stopped spinning, cheaper to buy a new one, obselescene by design ftw 🙄)

I don't have much point of comparison having never owned a condenser dryer, but they do seem pretty easygoing on the electricity

The general drawback with them is they run at a lower temperature and don't dry clothes as quickly, full load of cotton's takes around 3 hours

Most of them also have a sensor drying mode so it'll just run until the clothes have reached the desired dryness. Beats the old games of "guess how long it takes" with the vented dryer in my mum's house

It also has a delay timer so you can load it up and then run at night

We use ours all the time, typically twice a day. There'll usually be a wash run overnight, then it gets dried during the day (if I'm up early I'll load the dryer first thing to get the last of the night rate). Another wash generally goes on during the day and then it'll be dried overnight to avail of night rate

The trick seems to be to run a full load rather than smaller loads, the sensor drying system works better. Drying something small can be tricky, often need to use the timed program instead

We haven't noticed any build-up of condensation in the utility room. In fact the air is usually very warm and dry afterwards, it's handy because the heat will leak to the rest of the house

You'll need to clean the condenser out every month or so, otherwise it'll fill with dust. My main buying advice would be to get one that has a filter in front of the condenser, in addition to the usual lint filters

Our first one was a Zanussi and didn't have any filter, the metal condenser fins would literally be plastered with almost solid dust which needed a lot of scrubbing and brushing to remove

The newer one is a Bosch and has a washable filter before the condenser, it really makes cleaning it up a much easier operation

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Yeah a heat pump dryer runs at about 50C as opposed to a condenser dryer which runs at around 70C

They both dry clothes fine but obviously the lower temp takes longer. The handy part with the heat pump is that it recycles the heat from the exhaust, as well as being more efficient overall

Apparently the lower temp is better for the clothes, although Penney's sh!t still shrinks instantly

Thanks all of you for the input 👍

I'll have to put condenser heat pump outside (In lean too, which is kinda sealed - it's watertight and has plywood floor). My next concern is temperature. They don't like to be ran below 5 degrees , possibly even 10 degrees. If it got below 10 degrees, I probably won't run it. I really would like heat pump dryer going forward.

Tks again

• Advertisement

Yeah not sure how they like the cold, mines in utility room so inside the heated area of the house

Would a vented dryer be possible then? They're generally more efficient than condenser dryers, and can probably stand a bit more punishment, but obviously need space for the vent somewhere

Bit of a waste having that free heat outside of your house. No chance it can go in the kitchen / utility / beside wherever you have the washing machine?

Unkel-it was all in utility room (super small) before I built lean too 25m2..I just wanted to free up space, so my w/machine and gas tumbledryer is outside. The more reading I'm doing tells me - not good below 5 degrees.

Cheers

Thanks - I could get vented (no issue there). But really would like to go health pump dryer. However if I purchase one and it dosent work or costs.just as much as a vented/condenser, I'm screwed 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

What else could you put out in the shed and keep the nice warm tumble drier and machine inside heating both you and them up. The thoughts of you being sent to the laundry gulag in the depths of winter and all that…..

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

Could you put some insulation around the shed, so it doesn't get as cold?

Thanks for all the replies..I'm just after setting up a little test to see what temps I'm actually getting outside (pt 100 and multimeter as I don't have digital thermometer) let's see what I get. At home all day so I'll check hourly. Weather for today looks like 11 degrees so be interesting if its a little warmer in lean too ( I probably could insulate , but the cost of that would be quite expensive)

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

i note from the installation spreadsheet the majority have panels under 400w. i presume that's because larger panels are/were more difficult to get hold of in the past.

i'm putting in a ground mount array...my question is would it be better to put in lets say 12 x 500w panels or 15 x 400w for a 6kW array or does it not matter? I have priced up the options and both are pretty much the same price. i prefer the idea of 12 panels (2 rows of 6 landscape) but unsure if there's a drawback to putting in the bigger panel.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

Other than the fact that they are physically bigger panels, no difference.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

If you are ground mounting also look into bifacial panels, be careful on voltage of the bigger panels, you have to stick to within your Inverter capability

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Cheers guys. Good to know.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

finally had the seai inspection today. inspector was a really nice guy and clearly a solar enthusiast. He was to the letter of the law but not in a jobsworth way. explained everything he was checking for. he was on his way west to train up on small/medium wind turbine inspections, mentioned there is a large grant scheme coming in there soon.

anyway glad its done. Can move on with planning some further panels now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

Where are you getting the 500w panels from? Very few places seem to stock them or will ship them.

I could get them by the pallet but don't need that many.

ITS Technologies in the UK. Longi 500w panels.

After Brexit they set up a warehouse on the continent to ship stuff to EU customers. I don't know if they still have it but on their website they say they ship internationally everything except PV kits.

I'd double check they actually do ship to Ireland, I was speaking to a shop in Luxembourg which said they ship to all of the EU

Turns out that doesn't include Ireland, they stopped shipping here after Brexit because apparently it costs too much

They do ship to Armenia though, which is not an EU member state (yet). I politely requested they update their website 🙄

All sorts of border / customs issues if the transport has to come from continental EU and then go out of the EU, into the UK, then back into the EU (Ireland). Can't blame them, they probably experienced issues first hand before they gave up.

Welcome to the Brexit, Sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Mr Q

They won't ship them either. Once you try to check out they won't allow an Irish address:

This order can’t be shipped to the address you entered. Review your address to ensure that all fields have been entered correctly and try again

They would suit me perfectly size wise though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

try use AddressPal from An Post, no idea if they have a size\weight restriction

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

I'm pretty sure a pallet of panels is way beyond what An Post will handle, you'd need to look at a pallet delivery service I think

• Advertisement

Lads, would you not consider buying from Irish based wholesalers? I know some of them no longer deal with the public, but perhaps via an Irish installer? I'd say deals can be done that avoid major international transport hassle and perhaps some unexpected tax bills.

Advertisement