Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cattle Weigh Scales

• 01-01-2023 9:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭

Currently using a Tubar mobile crush with built weigh platform to weigh our cattle. Problem is that it takes two people, a loader tractor and a bit of planning to get the cattle weighed as it needs to be moved into position.

I was thinking that the crush could be parted with for more than the price of a weigh platform. Don't use it as a crush - only for weighing. It's in very good condition for its age. So, I was reading on those who home made them and from what I see that unless its made from aluminium you'd end up with a weighty platform that could still need two folk to move.

Are the aluminium platforms stable - are they able to stay in position with cattle shoving and settling on them - would they scoot out from under the animal? Do flat platforms perform better than the ones with raised sides?

What is there to look for in the reader? I presume EID and all that jazz is not required for small scale users?

Is there any recommended sellers? Over on TFF Allied Weighing in England gets a few mentions. TruTest seems to be the most popular. Gallaghers, Iconix and Dino Argeo are the other ones I've seen.

At the price point now, I'm not sure that an eBay or AliExpress special would work out much cheaper in the long term as any I've looked at are not aimed at this task. Would prefer one which has the ability to hold a weight when the animal settles.

If any of you have one, do you find that the cells last well on them?

Comments

Advertisement