Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't think so. I personally couldn't care less about stuff like the rebate. Having the Euro would make things easier but I honestly think the EU would admit the UK on more or less the same basis as before. The UK's going to have to rejoin at some point. I see it as being inevitable. There's also the fact that the UK is currently complying with EU law and has yet to diverge. Sure, they're fulminating endlessly about it but they did the same with the NI protocol. The British Bulldog yapped and yapped but ultimately stayed in its box.

But yes, much here is in flux. If the UK re-applies in 2030 or further on, it may not include Northern Ireland or even Scotland.

Ultimately though, I think if the UK gets its political act together and the Conservative party ever resembles a functioning democratic party, I can't see haggling over stuff like the rebate and the Euro being the thing that impedes rejoining. It'll be the political climate of the UK and until that changes and changes fundamentally, such talk is fantasy.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 26,906 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Support for rejoining collapses if adopting the Euro is a requirement, as one example.

Now there are realities to re-joining and adopting the Euro can more or less be delayed in perpetuity. Though you do have to at least commit to it at some nondescript point in the future which in and of itself will still cause problems as image is important (as Brexit itself has shown).

Apart from the general stupidity of Brexit, throwing away the particularly good deal the UK had just makes it even worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,657 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

The UK was practically a part-time member of the EU, but even this was far too much for the assorted loons and cranks of the Brexit movement. According to them, Britain was an oppressed victim of a dictatorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

But again, the UK (whatever version of it exists by then) won't be re-joining the EU, it will be a new application for membership, on terms that are set by the version of the EU that exists at the time.

This is where British (especially Brexiter) exceptionalism comes into play again - thinking that the rest of the world will remain crystallised in the same form it held in 1973, and that the country can just pick up where it left off. That's not going to be the case. Even if the UK stands still, the EU will continue to develop and modify its regulations. There are already various EU rules set to come into force this year and next which will create divergence from the static UK - and only Rees Mogg was defending his infamous Brexit Bonfire Bill.

By the time the matter can be seriously considered - and I think we're looking at about 30-50 years for full membership - there will be no re in the joining process. That's why I think it is unhelpful to use the term rejoin in the discussion of future options for Britain - at least not until after the population has accepted the arguments in favour of dynamic alignment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,665 ✭✭✭54and56

If the UK (or any other country for that matter) wants to be an EU member in the future it has to be on an unconditional and equal basis to the other members. No more half in half out, cherry pick the bits you like and discard the bits you don't like type membership. I understand why as a relatively fledgling organisation the EU could justify granting the UK some special treatment in order to get it into the ultimately strengthen the club but the EU is now well established with a pipeline of applicant countries queuing up to join so no it no longer needs to give any special treatment to the UK.

It was the initial granting of special treatment to the UK which encouraged it to keep coming back for more to the point where it (wrongly) felt the EU would do anything to keep it as a member. This emboldened the Brexiteers into thinking or at least being able to argue that post Brexit the UK would be allowed to enjoy many of the benefits of membership without any of the commitments associated with being a member. Holding all the cards blah blah blah.

With perfect hindsight it would have been better if the EU just held its ground the very first day the UK agitated for special treatment and insisted that all countries are treated equally with zero favouritism. That may well have pushed the UK out of the EU long before the 2016 referendum and if it had I'd argue the exit process and post exit relationship would have been far better than we've seen and are currently living through plus there's a good chance once the UK knew there wasn't any chance of special treatment they'd have accepted their equal place at the big table and we'd all, including the UK, be far better off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,762 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm not saying that the application won't be new. I'm saying that the UK isn't the same as any other third country. It already has decades of EU laws on its statute books. It's hardly the same as Serbia or Albania applying to join.

I think the term rejoin is perfectly fine to be honest. The UK was a member and will hopefully be a member soon. The UK will of course have to be a different entity than it is now and the EU will change because it's the EU. The Brexit bonifre bill is just the latest iteration of the NI protocol fiasco. Slightly less quixotic but that's about it.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Yes, I was agreeing with you. The support for "rejoin" is incredibly soft and is based on literally re-joining just as things were before which is not an option on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭rock22

Whatever it is called, I cannot see it happening in the short term. i believe the UK has a long road to travel in order to be in a place where it will make a serious application to join. If will need to accept that the days of UK exceptionalism are gone. That the electoral system needs sorting out. That a written constitution will almost certainly be required. We're talking decades I think for that to happen.

I think , were an application to be made, that the EU would monitor political sentiment in the UK first. They will not risk another Brexit. And , i think, that if the UK were to join within the next 20-30 years , there is a distinct possibility that it would again decide to Brexit. That is too much turmoil for the EU to risk.

And right now you have both main political parties promising the electorate that they will double down on Brexit and make it work. It is clear that EU membership is still being used by leaders in the UK for their own party political reasons. Until that nonsense stops, the EU would be very wary of any closer ties with the UK.

I don't see why either a written constitution or a reform to their electoral system would be needed.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It wouldn't be needed as part of the (re)join process but is needed for the UK to recognise and take positive action against the conditions that allowed Brexit to take form

• Advertisement

Perhaps, but it is an element of national governance that the EU is certainly not going to even give an impression of tampering with.

You could make a pretty reasonable case that the French system also leaves the possibility open - LePen was not a million miles away from the presidency at times and prior to Brexit leaving the EU would have been on her list of projects.

I suppose the main question is whether the English (not the British) are even capable of EU membership. The right wing half of the country has some very strange attitudes towards Europe and European people - a mixture of looking down on Europeans, whilst secretly nursing a massive inferiority complex about them. Even that noxious slogan "love Europe, hate the EU" gives you a glimpse into their weird mindset.

I'm not sure that xenophobic half of the English population (and media and political class etc) would ever be capable of being a normal member of the EU.

Perhaps, but it is an element of national governance that the EU is certainly not going to even give an impression of tampering with.

Oh I know but at the same time, the UK need to convince the 27+ members at the time of rejoining that things are different and you won't have the likes of Farage turning up simply to cause disruption

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

But then, point your spying glass on who’s been majoritarily bankrolling her and her party for the last few years and, oh surprise. €8m’s worth of Russian bank loans after dropping by Uncle Vlad, then €10m last year from Hungarian banks 😏

Drive around in Britain outside of major urban centres in your foreign registered LHD car, and observe how many people in the street and car parks look at you, as if you had 3 heads. Mostly elderly people. That was certainly the case last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭Christy42

It is also not the same as Serbia or Albania because people will expect the UK to kick up a fuss immediately as soon as it is in again about how the EU is a dictatorship or the Soviet Union and it should leave again.

If the UK doesn't want to be part of the EU that is fine but it needs to be seen as a country that wants to be part of the EU to join again. The EU does not want this drama of in or out everytime there is a new election in the UK. I would expect something like the Euro to be something that properly ties the UK to the EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

I notice that the forecasts from OECD and the IMF which do not put the UK in such a poor place economically were not posted to this thread. Only the one that puts the UK worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Could you post them?

Nate

I'd love to have seen some of the posters here after Ireland gained its independence. According to their logic, it was a mistake to leave the British empire following the collapse in the economy afterwards. The UK will emerge from Brexit perfectly fine and will be a thorn in the side of the EU, particularly Ireland.

Already we can see the Tories making the tough decisions. Refusing to give the NHS an open cheque book, opening privatiztion of the NHS to make it leaner and fit for purpose, limiting the rights of striking workers. From an economic point of view, this will be a cheaper more obedient workforce if the strikes can be smashed which the Tories are tackling head-on. The reduction in rights and regulations, perfect for large corporations to invest in.

Meanwhile the EU and Ireland cannot think outside the tax and spend box, taxing the workers and the businesses so state spending and waste can only grow larger and larger.

Already we can see the Tories making the tough decisions. Refusing to give the NHS an open cheque book, opening privatiztion of the NHS to make it leaner and fit for purpose, limiting the rights of striking workers. From an economic point of view, this will be a cheaper more obedient workforce if the strikes can be smashed which the Tories are tackling head-on. The reduction in rights and regulations, perfect for large corporations to invest in.

Sounds like a wonderland to live in

• Advertisement

I'm not sure what you think these show, but they both show an absolute massive drop from 2022 to 2023 and can't tell us much about the Brexit effect given the baseline is last year. The OECD forecast literally has them the worst performing and the IMF second worst. hurray?

I'm aware of this. I did say we need to have the Tory party see reality. Alternatively, I'd happily see it wither and die at this point. They've destroyed their own long term prospects. It's not like the 2008 financial crash or the tuition fees fiasco, this will stick with them for at least a decade. That said, in a two party state, we do require the major two parties to be at least somewhat engaged with reality instead of pushing Ron Swanson economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,081 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I noticed that you haven't posted them yourself either. What you did post isn't all that great.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,527 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The phrasing of a "cheaper more obedient workforce" is particularly chilling and instructive.

"Obedience" tends to be the preference of those wishing subservience or authoritarianism. It's a patently loaded word.

Standard stuff. Strip the states for disaster capitalists who've never worked a day in their lives. Fortunately, the Tories lack any modicum of talent or diligence so it's pure fantasy. The public back the strikers.

As for the Ayn Rand drivel, I'm reminded of this:

There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.

-John Rogers.

There's no comparison with a country gaining its independence. The UK spent 15 years trying to join the EEC (and kept getting rebuffed, especially by De Gaulle). All of this has been edited from history by the right wing press.

I'd love to have seen some of the posters here after Ireland gained its independence. According to their logic, it was a mistake to leave the British empire following the collapse in the economy afterwards. The UK will emerge from Brexit perfectly fine and will be a thorn in the side of the EU, particularly Ireland.

When will the UK emerge from Brexit and given that Brexit is undefined, how will we know if it emerged?

I'm not quite sure if you're being sarcastic here so hopefully you can confirm. Maybe start by defining how the NHS would be "fit for purpose" in this corporate utopia with its reduced workforce who are not permitted to complain about their working terms and conditions?

Meanwhile the EU and Ireland cannot think outside the tax and spend box, taxing the workers and the businesses so state spending and waste can only grow larger and larger.

...as opposed to taxing who or what?

As for state spending, there are plenty of areas where we can make cuts but they are largely irrelevant to the EU so not sure why you bunch them together in your criticism. Nonetheless, reducing waste by making spending cuts in those areas does not necessarily mean that we can or should reduce taxes!

How did the US manage to become the world's powerhouse over the past 100 years then?

It has no National Healthcare. It has extremely strict immigration rules. It has little rights for workers which means they have a supply of miserable workers who know they have to work the warehouses, the factories, the military or else face life on the streets. The US is not close to any wealthy neighbours to trade with. A frozen wasteland to the north and poverty stricken gang warfare to the south.

Yet almost all the scientific and medical advances the world's has ever seen has come out of America. It is the wealthiest county in the world. There is absolutely no reason the UK could not emulate America while the EU declines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Not sure what this has to do with Brexit, other than flinging mud to the wall.

• Advertisement

Huge natural resources - coal, oil, natural gas, steel, timber, arable land, livestock, fresh water, big population, excellent climate for humans, major landmass....it has just about everything going for it.

Advertisement