Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To Mask or not to two - Mask Megathread cont.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭waterwelly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,562 ✭✭✭jackboy

Fair enough. No wonder that the INMO are getting frustrated when the HSE are ignoring them. I’m afraid they will just have to stick out the next few weeks with little help.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Maybe think about your comment there...are injuries from contact sports the issue in A+E s around the country atm or really at any time ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It matters little what way you put it.

As you know the INMO represents nurses and midwives and has no management function in the health service.

They have...installed in most places but not everywhere since Covid . Some buildings are so old with a lot of internal offices , rooms .

However not enough in other areas that can be very congested , schools , workplaces etc .

My issue with other posters continually bashing health professionals and unions is that they just don't seem to understand the irony is masking at this stage should not be necessary in our communities

Air filtration, increasing hospital beds as promised and improving rostering and staffing in hospitals to cope with the average winter surges , would have made a big difference by now but there would still have been an issue as this is effectively a doubling of that usual Dec/Jan crisis with numbers never seen before.

Easy for governments and ministers to say to everyone else to sort it when they have effectively let it build and happen over the last 10 / 20 years ... cutting beds , closing step down hospitals and not addressing issues with recruitment and retention. These are problems that are outside of the remit of a healthservice lurchingfrom crisis to crisis.

Coming home to roost now ... And INMO and other unions and staff have been highlighting these problems for years ..so maybe it's time for management and government to take the flack for their inaction instead of continually shooting the messenger .

and yes mask mandate is not the answer really, just a stopgap , but as another said above it is " low hanging fruit " .

There won't be a mandate, but it may be suggested more strongly. Wouldn't be necessary at all if the issues above were or had been addressed.

Post edited by Goldengirl on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

Well yes they do have a right to call for any measures that might reduce their stress at work. But why not other calls - a ban on alcohol, ban on smoking, ban on junk food, mandate on exercise, mandate on regular health check-ups, calls for more screening, calls for the government to sort out GP mess, calls for better filtration, ban on media articles inducing health anxieties needlessly for seasonal illnesses, calls for more beds (although 1,000 acute beds have apparently been added since pre-Covid), better working conditions and pay to attract and retain staff.

Why the focus on masks which would barely put a dent in numbers attending hospitals, unless used in all settings including schools, and combined with distancing measures - because evidence to date for mask wearing is in conjunction with other measures or voluntary changes in behaviour.

What is the figure for reduction in hospital virus numbers with a mask mandate on public transport and health settings? What is it in all settings with no other measures utilised? Is it 10% - that could be a useful reduction, or is it .0001%? No one knows apart from what they believe to be intuitive - there is no evidence for the outcome of these half measures, especially if all areas of life continue as normal outside of these settings.

Maksing has contributed to the problem, let’s not exacerbate it by reintroducing it. Who’s job is it to relieve pressure on the health system in the most effective way? Masking may be a ‘simple measure’ but if it would make no difference what’s the point of asking for a mandate that will remind people of hardship suffered over two years from death of loved ones and not being able to mourn normally, of lack of contact with friends and family, of having sport and hobbies denied and having imposed restrictions on movement, and worse - signalling that masking will be normal every winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,875 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The answer to your query about why the INMO don't call for all the measures you list lies with the INMO themselves.

My point is that I support the right of the INMO to call for any measure they like and I support your right to disagree with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,365 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Masking has contributed to the problem? Statement without foundation.

You are more worried that it might remind people of past deaths. Or god forbid past hobbies they couldnt enjoy!

But show zero concern for the people who might die today.

Pull the other one.

In the immediate short term it is the lowest cost measure than can be rolled out to reduce numbers of respiratory disease infections. The other things you have listed are not infectious.

They called for other things also re the health service.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

So you believe Leo ?

For someone who doesn't trust science, data, the media , politicians in general, or any health professional in this country , I would be truly surprised if you do really believe Leo and his statements !

But I suppose he is a self serving individual and maybe that strikes a chord ?

Really ?

I think you will find that those that lost loved ones would not be objecting to any measures that may reduce incidence of infection .

Very disingenuous post .

• Advertisement

Have you any hard data to support your claim that masks are the lowest cost measure to reduce respiratory infections?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

That would be distancing I presume?

Anyone answer that question

Has any other European country brought back masks to free up the hospitals?

Being locked up for 2 years didn't do well for our immune systems. At the moment, Children's hospitals are crowded. Not surprising, some of them have been shielded for their whole lives so far and are now suffering the consequences.

What we are witnessing is further failure of our lockdown policies.

This year we don't even have the luxury of telling people that there's a deadly illness or new variant going around to scare them away from hospitals.

I imagine it will blow over in a week or two. Doctors, GPs and upper management are now back from their holidays.

The thread is full of evidence of the benefits in terms of containing droplets, case studies and reducing case numbers eg Bangladesh study.

I said in the short term. Statement nay be valid for longer than that but in terms of this winter season masks can be rolled out in it.

Then for the cost. You can pickup masks for less than a euro a mask. So to mask up everyone who would need it is measured in millions. They have no cost in terms of economic reductions.

If the COVID advisory committee and the CMO aren't recommending a mask mandate as the health minister says

Why does the NBRU and the INMO think their advice is somehow superior

Masks will do nothing to help and is it not even the cheapest option. We could easily advise employers to let staff work from home for a few weeks over winter.

Even increase the school Christmas holidays by a week and do an extra week in summer.

Clever moves that can make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Most are working from home already. An extra week hols will just delay it by one week.

Masks will.delay it all by another year. INMO had plenty of time to work with hospital boards to.sort it out

Well I do agree with you there.

But if we're going to do anything, masks would be the least helpful.

All of those things arent cost free - either less school time or reduced services. If kids arent in school who is taking care of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I would ask all those sick people with flu like symptoms and worse were they wearing a mask ?

Not had a bad bout yet touch wood as trying to keep safe.

• Advertisement

You are forgetting the cost of enforcement. I was in Spain in October where masks were mandatory and public transport but compliance was low.

So who is going to enforce this? Do you really think Paddy will just start wearing masks en masse when nobody else is at it across Europe, or anywhere else really?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

We must never remove people's freedoms because our health service can't sort itself out. We cannot and will not accept that.

Are you running some election campaign?

Just in case you didn't notice, but we all have to live with our health service. Sometimes it seems to me, people are happy to put more unnecessary pressure to push it into deeper hole. And then complain how bad it is ..

Probably not considering most people in ICU because of covid weren't vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

That would be distancing I presume?

I would say that comes with a great cost..

We wore masks before with minimal AGS involvement in enforcement. If mak mandate returns then I expect vast majority to comply as they did before.

Cost of enforcement is negligible.

Bus driver union are in favour.

Germany also has mask mandates in place.

I think politicians have expended a lot of political capital that covid is largely behind us so there is resistance there to pulling the trigger. And thats largely the case, it is now more that covid is overloading a system under strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

And we back to the same spot this time next year. We got to let our immune system grow and not halt its growth.

3 weeks time it will start to calm down

Waterford has no issues so we could move some of wexford and cork patients there to ease the pressure.

Ya well that's good news wasn't there a bus driver won mastermind 😁

So you really think we will all just start wearing masks again?

I saw first hand people in Spain not bothering. How is compliance in Germany I wonder.

I was at my dentist today and they didn't bother giving me a mask, whereas they did in December. It was the same with other patients, no masks. So even in places in Ireland where it is mandatory people don't bother.

Are you introducing masks in schools, colleges, pubs, sports stadiums etc.?

You really are deluded to think we will all just fall in line here.

So you have no idea what your social experiment will cost.

Sky news was an interesting read just now. Similar issues to here but no mention of masks as a solution.

• Advertisement

Childrens hospitals are always busy this time of year with RSV and Bronchiolitis. This is not unusual in Paediatrics.. Called 'winter spring disease "

At least they don't have Covid as well.

Also GPs, other senior doctors are all back since 28th and many working weekends and evenings.

Many healthcare workers in Limerick are in working on their days off to try to ensure nobody is left uncared for.

But you keep on with your aul.... narrative, which btw apoears to be off topic.

Advertisement