Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ulster Team Talk Thread IV... Go On My Henderson...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

It's a concern to be sure. But, he needs to offer more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Same issue Ulster have had for how long now? An aging Vermeulen was just an attempt to paper over the fact we don’t have any real backrow prospects for another season!

Sadly Ulster’s pack needs to go backwards to go forward a season.

Though Stewart has been impressive!

Marty Moore looks like he could be out for a while and we’re in bother!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Is Nick Timoney being rested or rehabbing an injury, or maybe both? He would inject a lot of energy and aggression at the breakdown and in transition phases.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,796 ✭✭✭✭bilston

That was a bad one last night, there's just no escaping it.

What's happened to the backs? Last season they were playing some great stuff. This year there is little imagination there. We run out of ideas and then McCloskeys dinks it in behind.

The next question is would we have won that if Cooney and Burns had played the full 80?

The worrying thing is there aren't many to come back into that side to strengthen it. Marshall, Timoney and an in form Lowry. Anyone else?

Herring's experience and leadership is probably needed, but then Stewart is a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,423 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

That's Ulster fecked.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭launish116

Sean Reffel 39 tackles v Munster that's insane if true. Especially considering it was his first game back since injury.

I reckon Marty Moore was in with a good shout for a Six Nations squad call up and honestly I wouldn't have him far off the 23 depending on injury.

From an Ulster perspective, he was having his best season at the province so it's a huge loss. Gutted for the chap and a tough injury to come back from.

Costly weekend for Irish rugby.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

South African reports suggest that a SARU request that Ulster be deemed to have forfeited the Sharks vs Ulster match has been rejected. Instead it appears likely that the game will be rescheduled for 25 February.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,220 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Moore has been a very good player for them but I can see why Farrell and co. have generally looked beyond him. He simply isn't fit enough or close to it to play the game that Ireland want to....or defend at that level.

I watched him during the A game when he played the last 25 minutes. He was absolutely gassed before the end at the tempo that was being played. There was a NZ try where they cruised through midfield. Moore was the nearest defender. I'm not sure any Irish prop would have made the tackle but he looked like an AIL player trying to get across.

Can be seen at 6m 40s in the highlights below....this is a fully fit Moore who has been on the field for about 15 minutes. His speed doesn't increase whatsoever from when he's trotting across to the point where the carrier is going past him. That's him flat out. A team can't carry someone with that level of fitness/agility at test level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xqAWdJzVrQ

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 17,094 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

I think you're right about Moore and his relative lack of athleticism, Buer. The Ireland coaching staff haven't been shy in selecting inexperienced, younger players provided they meet the athletic profile. Kelleher, Sheehan, Doris and Baird all had relatively few Leinster senior appearances before getting capped for Ireland. But all have top level athleticism. If you don't have that you'll struggle to regularly make squads.

I think Gavin Coombes might have the same issue. He's a freakishly strong tight carrier, but he hasn't been selected for many Ireland squads. He struggled to keep up with the pace of the New Zealand team during that A game and was leapfrogged by Max Deegan for senior selection a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

I thought that Ulster had a really good squad. But, I was hoping that Izzy was going to break into the xxiii and that Flannery would be an option. Now Ulster are carrying players that are just not good. Madigan for one, Carter is another. Then there's Milasonavic who's very poor. There's others too that aren't at the races. Vermuellen is a disappointment and seems like a luxury signing.

Ulster need a clearout.

With Healy leaving for Edinburgh and a likely Scotland call up - I wonder might that be the spur to prick the sides of Cooney's intent.

Am I right in saying the duration of his last contract was not disclosed?

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

You are right, but I dunno why Cooney would go to Scotland tbh. It's unlikely he's going to get himself into a WC spot in time.

I reckon Cooney could get a decent contract in France, and may go there when his current Ulster deal is up.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

Cooney could (in theory) join the Scotland squad for the 6N and actually play in rounds 4 & 5. Very unlikely but if he declared now, he'd have plenty of time to make his pitch for the RWC. He doesn't need to be playing for a Scottish club to do so.

At this point, I'd be more surprised if Cooney doesn't declare for Scotland when he's available to do so.

They're not flush with talent at scrum half, and when you add his goalkicking, experience and leadership into the mix, I think there's a decent chance he features for them in the RWC.

Cooney would be a boost for Scotland! If I were him, I would declare for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

Munster apparently looking to re-sign Flannery, Ulster would surely look abroad in that case? Unless James Humphreys has kicked on but can't say he was impressive underage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭RuPi

Madigan isn’t being kept on either so they will have to bring somebody in to challenge Burns. Humphreys has improved this season but he is still off looking like he is ready for URC exposure.

Flannery would be nuts. He will get opportunities with Ulster. Ulster should give him a start in Europe. He worth a look.

There's nothing to suggest that. He's made three appearances, one start since joining. His solitary start was against Zebre, where he played for an hour. That performance accounts for 90% of the minutes he's gotten this year.

He got 6 mins v Munster, and 1 min against Connacht.

This has been in a season where Madigan got a long term injury in October, and where Billy Burns has been hampered by injury at times. They've selected Angus Curtis on the bench ahead of him on multiple occasions (Curtis has almost twice as many minutes), and have started Nathan Doak at 10 ahead of him.

There's nothing to suggest he will breakthrough at Ulster, or that he's good enough to do so based on the evidence of this season so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

There were extenuating circumstances, but flannery should have got more time. He’s very talented.

I’d love to get Harry Byrne. I know injury predicts injury, but he’s the most talented of their younger guys imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Ardillaun

Baloucoune can’t save Ulster on his own but he’s a mighty addition to the Ireland squad. As shown against Munster, give him any space on the outside and he’ll get in for a try. Let’s hope he stays healthy. Lovely pass from McCloskey too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,218 ✭✭✭✭phog

The team named for this game sheds some insight into the players Ulster will select this weekend - looks as though Tom O'Toole & Jeffery Toomaga-Allen will be the THPs since Gareth Milasinovich is on the bench for the A side.

Jake Flannery playing at 12 for the As (James Humphreys at 10), while guys who've earned some first team starts for Ulster recently like David McCann, Rob Lyttle and Matthew Rea also in this team.

Cormac Izuchukwu really hasn't pushed on and gotten many minutes this year (4 apps, 1 start, 115 mins), while Frank Bradshaw-Ryan has equally barely featured for Ulster's first team (1 appearance off the bench, 28 mins).

15-9: Shea O'Brien; Rob Lyttle; Ben Moxham; Jake Flannery; Ethan Graham; James Humphreys; Rhys O'Donnell

1-8: Callum Reid; Declan Moore; Scott Wilson; Cormac Izuchukwu; Frank Bradshaw-Ryan; Harry Sheridan (c); Matty Rea; David McCann

Replacements: James McCormick; George Saunderson; Gareth Milasinovich; Conor Neary; Adam Montgomery; Zac Solomon; Ben Gibson; James Girvan; Henry Boyle

Ulster team to play Benetton, BKT United Rugby Championship Round 12, Saturday 7 January at Stadio Monigo (KO 1pm), live on Viaplay and URC.tv.

(15-9): Mike Lowry, Rob Baloucoune, James Hume, Stuart McCloskey, Jacob Stockdale, Billy Burns, John Cooney;

(1-8): Eric O’Sullivan, Rob Herring, Jeff Toomaga-Allen, Kieran Treadwell, Iain Henderson (Captain), Greg Jones, Sean Reffell, Nick Timoney.

Replacements: Tom Stewart, Rory Sutherland, Andy Warwick, Alan O’Connor, Duane Vermeulen, Nathan Doak, Stewart Moore, Ethan McIlroy.

• Administrators Posts: 53,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This is a very interesting selection as it means that this week's league game is being prioritised over the European matches. A good decision by McFarland and finally something sensible when it comes to prioritisation of fixtures.

I am fairly certain that Henderson and McCloskey both need to be rested for 1 of the 2 Euro games now. I'm guessing neither will travel to France next week, we should just throw the La Rochelle game, and then aim to beat Sale since they nilled us last time.

• Advertisement

There's no way Ulster will win in France. My opinion. Might as well go for it in Italy.

Vermuellen on the bench after his terrible effort last week. Would have liked to see Flannery in the xxiii.

Advertisement