Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada and assisted suicide for mental illness?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

The institutions that were closed down were largely the District Lunatic Asylums. They were founded in the 1800s i believe and served to house and care for those with serious psychiatric conditions who were incapable of independent living, or who were dangerous. However, the system was also abused and was used as a hiding place for those who didn't fit neatly into society....

Eccentric character - INSANE! ...lock him up

Suffering from autism or downs syndrome - INSANE! Lock him up.

Homosexual - INSANE! lock him up

A challenger of society - INSANE! lock him up.

Unmarried mother - INSANE! Lock her up.

Opinionated and outspoken woman - INSANE! Lock her up.

Anybody who shamed or had the potential to shame a well to do or noteworthy family - INSANE! lock him up and pretend he never even existed.

They were also ridled with endemic sexual exploitation and every other type of abuse imaginable as the people in them had no voice, no recourse to justice and besides, no authorities wanted to know nor would even listen anyway. Afterall, these people were all locked up for being "insane"!

Whatever about the rights and wrongs of the DA system, one thing is for sure it was a massively expensive system to run. So around the 1950s a process of Deinstitutionalisation was started, whereby the asylums were shut down one by one in favour of the so called "care in the community" model. The latter was obviously not a success as it was underresourced and patients could just drop off the radar and deteriorate further and this manifests itself even today as we can see that a huge fraction of the homeless are mentally ill. However, this doesn't suit the agenda of the "but de homeless, joe" brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,782 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

You’re assuming all people who sign up to this are either thick or manipulated - there’s huge positives for people who are terminally ill and in great pain - I know I’d choose it given the option to.

No not at all. I'm sure many could and do go for it of their own free and informed will. However, there is huge potential for some people to be groomed into it. This is obviously a life ending event - if one person is wrongly euthanized because of being slowly groomed into believing it is the best thing, then that is one too many. Grooming being what it is, they won't even realise that they basically are being bumped off to suit someone elses ulterior motive.

We must remember, people in these situations where euthanasia is a viable option are already in a highly vulnerable state and might have their mind swayed more readily than someone who is fully healthy and able bodied.

And rest assured, there are plenty people in ireland, especially rural ireland, who would only be too happy to see an elderly relative voluntarily pop their cloggs if they knew they were in line for something in the will, land or whatever.

Just look at the recent cases - murders have been committed over land and dsiputed wills to do with farms.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Kurooi

That yes, the freedom is good but I would be very concerned about the profile of the people who are targeted and opt in for it.

Euthanasia should not be a solution to disability, discrimination, homelessness, unemployment, debt...

All of that can be legislated for- however, even today, respect for the elderly of our society is fading- the value and the contribution they can still make to society is acknowledged less and less and more and more are treated and seen as an inconvenience - if that I agree with you. But that just means a rigorous process to ensure the chance of manipulation is limited - for example, if introduced, I’d propose the elderly today should actually be excluded and only those say under 65 could make this decision for either now or later in their lives if the need arose.

There’s ways to protect people and still introduce assisted dying - but right now, there are definately cases of elder abuse and manipulation taking place up and down the country - I’ve seen one example of manipulation of a Will wording- very hard to prove in a court of law though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Run Forest Run

Rubbish.

Who are you to decide for someone else, if their mental illness should be a candidate for assisted suicide? Some people suffer greatly with mental illness for their whole life without anyone managing to "cure" them.

The attitude to suicide and assisted suicide in this country, is archaic at best. You only have to look at the immature manner in how we still report suicide deaths to see this... "died suddenly" etc etc. It's pathetic. We don't even have the b*lls say it most of the time, never mind actually tackling it properly. I'm not surprised that we have such a big problem with suicide in this country, because it's still very much stigmatized and considered shameful.

Good on Canada for being a mature and forward thinking nation. Nobody should have power to tell anyone else whether they're allowed to die or not. And it's even more disgusting when people attempt to shame others for their desire to die.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nobody should have power to tell anyone else whether they're allowed to die or not.

That’s precisely what Canada is doing though, by regulating assisted suicide and indeed deciding whether or not a person is a candidate for assisted suicide based upon the degree to which their mental condition is sufficient to qualify them to be permitted to avail of assisted suicide -

In order to be eligible for medical assistance in dying, you must meet all of the following criteria. You must:

• be eligible for health services funded by the federal government, or a province or territory (or during the applicable minimum period of residence or waiting period for eligibility)
      • generally, visitors to Canada are not eligible for medical assistance in dying
    • be at least 18 years old and mentally competent. This means being capable of making health care decisions for yourself.
    • have a grievous and irremediable medical condition
    • make a voluntary request for MAID that is not the result of outside pressure or influence
    • give informed consent to receive MAID

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/medical-assistance-dying.html

The Canadian attitude to suicide and assisted suicide isn’t all that different from Ireland’s attitude to suicide and assisted suicide. The only difference is in Canada, assisted suicide is permissible in law under certain conditions, whereas here, assisted suicide is prohibited in Irish law. The stigma regarding suicide and assisted suicide is as prevalent in Canada as it is here, with it paradoxically being recognised as a protective factor in suicide prevention (which in itself is quite distinct from medically assisted suicide).

It’s no small irony of course that you refer to it as disgusting when people attempt to shame others for their desire to die, that people don’t talk about these issues because of the stigma, etc, and when people ARE talking about it and expressing their opinions, you attempt to condemn them because their opinions don’t align with yours. If that’s your idea of maturity, it’s easy understand why you think people don’t talk about these issues - they’re not any more likely to talk about them around you either, knowing your opinion of people who don’t share your opinions.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭some1gr8

Every one cirrcumstance are different and Personal choice and a decision based on correct and logical information should take preferance. By closing your eyers and making decisions for others leads to more problems.

I have seen people in recent past in hospital, where they were not able to move physically, mentally not able to make logocal decision. where they were suffering every hour and looking for help from nurses to change their trousrers 3 to 4 times every night and crying for help. seriously, not for a second i would like to live in those circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Jack Daw

I haven't decided for someone else, I've stated I don't think assisted suicide (having someone else kill you) should be legal in cases like this.

I'm not stigmatizing suicide, simply stating that assisted suicide needs to be very closely monitored and should only be available in very specific circumstances as it becomes a very slippery slope if you allow people with mental health issues (who generally don't have proper perspective) make a decision to get someone else to end their life.

And that simply is my reason for wanting to see assisted dying introduced-we might have improved medicine and treatments over the last 50 years but prolonging life at the expense of a person’s dignity and wishes is not what I call humanity in the 21st century - we’re willing to put a sick animal out of its misery and yet we choose in this country at least an undignified and often painful continued life as opposed to a dignified death.

The philosophy and ethics involved in this thinking are just so out of date and mostly linked to religion and mortal sin- it has to be re thought without those constraints -we’ve done it for abortion divorce and contraception now let’s do it for assisted dying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

My dad is in state care with rapidly degenerating dementia, it's too late for him to give informed consent, but I know, because he told me years ago, that he'd prefer to be dead than live out his days in such a place, not recognising my mam, his own siblings or me and my siblings.

When we first started noticing his issues, he was too angry and confused to give consent, in fact he was in denial the whole time he was able to think even slightly rationally.

If this is in my own future I want to sign a letter now giving my loved ones and medical professionals the consent and instruction to end my life before I get committed to an institution such as the one my dad is in.

The level of care he receives is second to none, he's comfortable - but what's the point? He knows nobody, he doesn't understand or know what's going on around him. He's not my dad anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 stoopendis

Shocking move. Only a matter of time before it’s mandatory.

First it starts with killing unborn babies, now the disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,142 ✭✭✭screamer

I dunno, we seem to be so precious about this issue. If someone is suffering and is intent on taking their life, they will do it. The trauma of finding someone who has committed suicide for a family member is something that haunts them forever. If someone does not want to continue living or existing as many who wish to die feel, who are any of us to force them on. Everyone’s level of tolerance for suffering is different, and I don’t think someone should have to be on deaths door to end their lives, and I certainly believe as a touted forward thinking country, this issue is something we need to get to grips with.

Mandatory? As in you have to do it….. don’t think so.

I think the first thing we need to do is to separate the term assisted dying from suicide - certainly in the early years of legislation being introduced, assisted dying will only be performed in very limited circumstances, most likely for very serious terminal illnesses that strip all dignity from the individual, but where the person remains of sound mind.

Assisted dying will likely involve decisions communicated to the family in advance and they will be part of the process not excluded from it, which doesn’t happen with suicide in the main.

With more countries introducing this legislation and Irish people opting to travel to avail of this process, there will come a time where pressure will bear on the government of the day to provide their own assisted dying services.

However I’m not sure Ireland will become a trailblazer for such legislation as it did for same sex marriage - I think we’re still too constrained by traditional thinking as a culture on this topic.

family will not form any part of the decisions for assisted dying, nor should they. Doctors will not discuss patients details with next of kin as it is, unless the patient consents.

I’ve a lot of experience with dementia in my family so I can totally relate- denial, not just with the person but often with people closest to them such as their spouse is very common when the first signs of dementia appear.

I have to say, even at this early stage of debate on the topic, that “of sound mind” might be my own red line, even if consent was previously given by the person themselves.

Whilst you and I and countless others have seen the devastating affects of dementia on a person and wouldn’t wish it on anyone, who decides when the assisted dying process commences?

My current thinking is -The power of attorney is one thing but I don’t think handing the decision to a loved one as to when you pass away is something I’d like to do. So, if it were placed in the hands of doctors, how would that work? If I met a level and number of symptoms and signed some legal document in advance, would they have the power to end my life regardless of how family members felt? Again this troubles me. That’s why I would only be in favour of assisted dying where the person is of sound mind- they would have a certain window of opportunity as a result of say a dementia or Alzheimer’s diagnosis but once that limited window has gone, they could no longer avail of assisted dying.

I wonder how the Canadian legislation works on this example- I must research it a bit more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,615 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Just off the top of my head, how about a set of criteria where:

1: The person with dementia had previously (while of sound mind) expressed a will for euthanasia in the event that they developed dementia/progressed to a certain stage of it

2: Family members agreed with that decision (then and still now that the person has developed dementia)

3: Doctors agree that the person has progressed to that certain stage of it (such as that they no longer recognise anybody)

Now, these are certainly open to tweaking, but I think that a blanket 'the dangers are too great' approach (not that this is what you are doing) is far too simplistic.

• Advertisement

Whilst you and I and countless others have seen the devastating affects of dementia on a person and wouldn’t wish it on anyone, who decides when the assisted dying process commences?

It’d depend on the circumstances in each individual case as to when the process would commence. Like with the current safeguards in place in the Canadian system, the development of a neurological disease alone wouldn’t necessarily meet the criteria to be considered eligible for MAID, there’s no way to determine the applicants natural death is reasonably foreseeable. Further assessment would have to take place -

https://www.justice.gc.ca/eng/csj-sjc/pl/ad-am/c7/p4.html#s3-4

My current thinking is -The power of attorney is one thing but I don’t think handing the decision to a loved one as to when you pass away is something I’d like to do. So, if it were placed in the hands of doctors, how would that work? If I met a level and number of symptoms and signed some legal document in advance, would they have the power to end my life regardless of how family members felt?

It would help if there was an advance healthcare directive in place which specified your wishes in the event you lacked the capacity to be able to make decisions about your healthcare at that time. However, as the law currently stands in Ireland, it still wouldn’t permit physicians to end a life -

It is a criminal offence to aid, help, encourage or procure the suicide of another person. This crime is usually called assisted suicide. The maximum penalty for assisted suicide is 14 years imprisonment. If you help someone to die by suicide, you may be charged with murder, manslaughter or assisted suicide depending on the circumstances. You could be charged if you help another person to end their life, even if the other person is terminally ill or wants to end their life.

This applies to medical professionals in the same way as to other people. However, pain killing drugs which may also shorten life may be given if the intention is to deal with pain and not to end life.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/health/legal_matters_and_health/advance_care_directives.html

Essentially if you’ve given your informed consent and physicians are aware of your wishes, they can proceed in those circumstances in accordance with Irish law. I wouldn’t say regardless of how family members felt, it’s better if they are consulted and everyone is in agreement. But with something as complex as assisted suicide, it can be a bit of a mixed bag, based upon this review of Dutch practices -

https://bmcmedethics.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12910-019-0361-2

Not formally no. But what I am getting at is influence exerted informally by a family member who would have something to gain from the persons passing.

An example, old Tommy has some severe degenerative condition requiring round the clock care and severely impacting his quality of life. He was a farmer and still owns the land. He has no children, but a nephew Johnny who he to leave the land to in his will. Johnny has always made it his business to ingratiate himself to Tommy to keep in with him to ensure his inheritance. Now over the last year or so he has been subtly putting thoughts in Tommy's ear about what an awful plight he has, and how things have come to this, and that in his state it is no way to live, all said with great "compassion" and "sympathy" while he is making his dinners and giving him water through a straw. When he feels Tommy has become down enough about his miserable degenerate plight of a life, he sows the seed in his head about how he could end his misery with assisted dying, and eventually manages, ever so gently and compassionately, bring Tommy around to the idea that voluntarily applying for assisted dying would be for the best to end the pain of his awful struggle of a life. When Tommy applys and passes all the checks and balances sneaky Johnny grins because his cunning grooming scheme has worked and once he is buried he will have his hands on Tommys land.

I'm telling you, this crap will happen. Especially when devious relatives and land are involved in the mix. This sort of grooming has and is being used up and down the country to convince elderly people that they are so frail and helpless that they need to go into nursing homes, so that relatives don't have to bear the burden of looking after them, and so they can get their hands on their property.

There would have to be something that a persons estate must be left to the state or something if assisted dying is to be taken. Otherwise there are guaranteed to be sneaky relatives plotting behind the scenes.

The checks and balances and safeguards involved in eligibility for assisted suicide are likely to be able to discover that sort of coercive control at an individual level. I’m sure it goes on, but it would be at best a handful of anecdotal examples, similar to the scenario you presented above.

Far more likely however, in contrast to the argument that legislating for assisted suicide would reduce suicide rates, the opposite effect is observed in US states at least where assisted suicide is permitted in law -

Richard Posner argued that legalising assisted suicide may have the counter-intuitive effect of reducing unassisted and possibly even total suicide rates. This column examines the empirical evidence for this idea using data from ten US states that implemented an assisted suicide law up to the end of 2019. In contrast to Posner’s hypothesis, the real-world data suggest that assisted suicide laws lead to a substantial increase in total suicide rates and, if anything, are associated with an increase even in unassisted suicides. This effect is most pronounced amongst women.

https://cepr.org/voxeu/columns/assisted-suicide-laws-increase-suicide-rates-especially-among-women

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

'Care in the Community' was Thatcher's policy in the UK in the 80s, so I've no idea why you'd suggest it was happening in Ireland in the 50s. There was indeed a process of closing down the old mental asylums, which were indeed often handy places to lock up people who were just a bit different. This wasn't so much a community model as a common sense model.

Assisted dying is an essential service, though one with many risks. We really shouldn't be scaring people into euthanasia with substandard services for people with dementia, people with mental health difficulties, people with profound physical disabilities.

There are particular challenges around getting 'informed consent' from people who's conditions have progressed, such as dementia. Perhaps we need this to be a standard thing that people do, a bit like ticking the box to donate organs, people can choose their future plans. Obviously, this is much more than a tick-box decision, so we need to find ways to ensure that the decision is made on a sensible basis.

There is a role for independent advocates, acting on behalf of the person, to support them through the decision making, particularly for people who already have dementia or schizophrenia or similar conditions.

…indeed all of this needs careful consideration debate and discussion - I know you’re just talking off the top of your head, as I am to a large degree at this point, but even then, I don’t feel at all comfortable with those conditions you’ve listed- the thought of essentially killing someone, who has dementia, even if this was their intended wish, doesn’t sit well with me- and as for finding a doctor who will do it:

As much as I’d hate to be in that position myself (advanced dementia) I just can’t get my head around someone making a decision about when I die- for me assisted dying is a fully conscious decision made by the person themselves, in that moment in time. What I would certainly subscribe to and plan in anticipation of it happening, is that no extraordinary means are used to keep me alive if I fell into an acoma or similar - I’ve no interest in being kept artificially alive for months or maybe even years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

This is a very tricky topic, and one that gets more tricky when you delve into the nitty gritty stuff. I have a chronic, incurable, non-terminal illness that causes pain and a general decreased QOL. It has absolutely changed my perception of death. I'm not suicidal but if someone told me I was going to die, I wouldn't have the same reaction as someone who has been completely healthy would have. Between that, and working with animals, the concept of "death is not the worst thing to happen in life" hold all too true. To myself and many, many others facing a life of pain, death is more an old friend we have yet to meet, than a scary unknown stranger.

However, once we start getting into the mental illness side of things, it gets tricky because physically illnesses usually cause mental illnesses. I also have Chronic Pain Syndrome (CPS) due to years of unmanaged pain, which causes anxiety and depression. The reason I had unmanaged pain for so long was because gaslighting is absolutely rampant in the medial industry, which also has a massive impact on my mental health. And when I went to try and fix my mental health, the mental health side of the HSE was even worse than the physical side, and I've been left in a much worse state than if I never sought medical assistance at all.

So where do we draw the line there? Because, yes, theoretically things like anxiety and depression can be treated and cured so to me, they're a very grey area when it comes to assisted death. I'll be honest and say I wouldn't be comfortable with it being available for conditions like them. However, those sort of conditions are a super common co-morbidity of other health conditions and are often made worse (if not outright created by) the very system that's supposed to fix them.

Do we still provide assisted death for incurable physical health problems if they exist along side mental health issues? Where do we draw the line there? Would having a pre-existing physical health problem be enough? What if there was a pre-existing mental health problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,319 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

• Registered Users Posts: 22,409 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Right. So here's my perspective.

My father suffered from Bi-Polar disorder for 20 years which included several periods when he was hospitalised in St Patricks in Dublin. He was receiving the best treatment the state could provide but it didn't work for him and he took his own life shortly after having been released from hospital. He saved up medication and took an overdose in our sitting room one night.

I woke up that morning to the sound of my father wheezing and gasping for breath, he was on the floor and there was blood everywhere. I thought he had cut his wrists but it turned out that it was the glass he used to swallow the pills that fell and he cut himself on the broken glass.

I called an ambulance, woke up my mother and family and they arrived eventually. My father was still breathing when the ambulance arrived, they brought him to the emergency department and we followed them.

About an hour later he was pronounced dead.

The doctor said it was probably for the best that they couldn't save him because he would have suffered severe brain injury from such a large overdose of his medication.

How does this affect my opinion on assisted dying for people with mental illness?

Well, my father died anyway, so not having it didn't save him. If assisted dying was available, he might have requested it when he was in hospital or in session with his doctors. Instead of him telling them that he wasn't suicidal so they would let him out of hospital. Maybe if he had felt able to speak about it with his doctors, if he felt there was another way out rather than what he ended up doing, maybe if going through such a process started a conversation that meant we could have done something to change his mind or at the very least have said goodbye to him as he died with dignity..

If my father had misjudged his overdose, he could have survived the suicide attempt and he might still be alive today, but likely in a severely limited capacity.

People kill themselves every day in Ireland. They do it when they're on their own, they don't tell anyone, and then their family either discover their body or have to search for it. Either way is pretty traumatic. Sometimes people make these decisions based on short term problems, sometimes it's because of long term mental illness. Usually it's done because they feel that they have no other option, that there is nothing to look forward to or that they are in too much pain. And it's almost always done on their own without talking to anyone about their intention.

I believe if my father had the option for assisted suicide that he would still be alive today. I believe he died because he felt he wasn't as loved as he really was, and if he had told us he was planning on an assisted suicide, the outpouring of love from his family and friends would have been enough to change his mind. But I'll never know.

In relation to assisted dying for people who are terminally ill, or suffering from debilitating illness or injury, I think people should have the right to die with dignity at a time of their choosing. In the past few years I've lost 3 grandparents and an aunt. My grandparents died having spent months going in and out of hospital. My grandmother died in a nursing home. All 3 of them had said that they were ready to die weeks before they actually died. They just spent the last few weeks of their lives getting increasingly confused and distressed before dying of organ failure. Everyone, including themselves knew that they were dying. My grandmother hated being in her nursing home. She hated the place and told everyone who visited her.

My Aunt who died of cancer told me multiple times before she ever got sick that she'd love her death to be a party, not a funeral. If we had assisted dying in Ireland, I think she might have chosen to have her closest friends and family with her to see her off before she became too sick to speak or say goodbye.

Me personally, I would hate to die in a nursing home or in care with Alzheimer's or some other form of dementia. If I was diagnosed with a terminal illness tomorrow, I'd love to have the option to pick my time and to have my family with me to say goodbye instead of dragging it out needlessly.

But that's just me.

…as you say it’s a tricky topic but one worth debating. If it did come in, I’d like to see it done in very limited circumstances- I’m not a medical practitioner so I really couldn’t describe what those conditions or circumstances are- what I’ve learned from this thread so far is that stating certain scenarios is probably pointless because we’re going too broad and general .I.e chronic pain or dementia- if introduced it will likely be for a set of very narrow and extraordinary medical conditions and be open to only a handful of people as a result. But that in itself could be a good starting point and give us all time to get our heads around the concept.

I think Canada may have gone way too broad and way too quickly is my own view.

• Advertisement

First of all your joke suicide booth actually exists- it’s called a suicide pod believe it or not.

In terms of your aunt and grandmother I’ve experienced pretty similar with my own members of family. “I’m ready to go” is actually a phrase I’ve heard of more than once from elderly people. I think there comes a time in some people lives, (but certainly not all and maybe not most) , where they just give up on life and that waking up each day is more a curse than a blessing.

Should these people have the option to go when it suits them? I’m inclined to say in principle, yes- but working out the process of it all is more complex. The “option” is there right now if one wishes to travel to Switzerland- I’ve a feeling we’re all going to know of someone in years to come who will avail of that option.

Advertisement