Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Russia - threadbanned users in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

It's Looks likely the casualties from the several HiMars strikes this week could put the number of killed at over a thousand not including injuries,and it's still only Tuesday 😂.

Here's the translation for ya .

Give us your ammo dumps and we will let you live ,

till it's HiMars time at least

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭storker

Ironically, this would be the "weak and decadent" west that can manufacture better weapons than Russia and can produce better-trained and better-equipped soldiers than Russia, soldiers who use better tactics than Russians and show more battlefield initiative than Russians. Yeah pull the other one Vlad, it's got bells on it.

Russia is the drunk at the end of the bar talking big about being able to beat anyone up but out in the car park just swings, misses and falls on his arse, so goes and slaps the other guy's bird around instead 'cos he's, you know, well 'ard.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,692 ✭✭✭✭briany

And there are still people insisting that Russia can overcome that by simply lobbing increasingly under-equipped conscripts at the situation.

Note : the time people point to where that was successful, Russians had the motivation of fighting to be continue to exist, whereas the current conflict is a foreign adventure for one short man in the Kremlin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Interesting video on the logic of Macron’s foreign policy vis a vis Russia up to now. Basically he wanted a third bloc of Europe/Russia between the US and China with France very much in the centre of it. Can understand the logic and attractiveness of having Russia as a buffer between China and Europe but that policy is utterly discredited now.

https://youtu.be/iW2Z-DCXSBw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭jmreire

Just wait until he finds out that there's 106'000 dead.... there will be no stopping him !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

All French foreign policy since WW2 is based on resentment that the anglocentric world is far more powerful than the francophone world. This is why they will always cozy up to the Russians.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,982 ✭✭✭rogber

Yeah might have been a nice idea if Russia wasn't Russia but more like say, Denmark.

And British foreign policy has been based on resentment that a united Europe is now a much better force than the ashes of British imperialism, leading to idiotic decisions like the Iraq war and Brexit.

Basically these old imperialist countries need to get over themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

The Brits make sure to side with the Americans whenever they can, its not a bad policy to be bestest pals with the biggest forice on the planet. If I was chosing between the yanks and the EU I know where I'd put my eggs, as this war has shown

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

That infantile nonsense from the Politician and the outraged Bot on Darth's twitter and now this nonsense.

The special operation is really getting to them it would seem. They are not able to cope with the consequences of their own actions.

I'ts like a burglar complaining about stepping on lego blocks in bare feet after breaking into someon's home and then writing an outraged letter to Lego and threatening them with his wrath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

Could this be the guy who is behind all those 'falling out of windows' deaths in recent times? He could well be plotting his own plans. Russian president? not exactly, all he would need is the break of the est [Siberia] and declare it some kind of new Soviet Republic. I doubt he would fancy all those main Russian cities and the Russian population as a whole.

His quotes

“ But first we will conquer our internal bureaucracy and corruption,” Prigozhin says in another video

“Once we conquer our internal bureaucracy and corruption we will move on" what does he mean by this?

He clearly does not like the wealthy and what gives as democracy in Russia.

Dan.

Amazing how much the Horde winter has brought everything to a standstill and how badly the Ukrainians are coping.

💪 The Armed Forces have taken control of Bolshoy Potemkin Island

It is an island between the left and right banks of the Dnieper near Kherson.

Imagine if the river froze over, that would be a shame.

Yes, Russia another washed up empire resentful about lost influence. Thanks for confirming my point

Well the Iraq war was dumb and Brexit even dumber so I would say: choose sides as circumstances change and don't be unconditionally loyal to anyone. Britain is a washed up force and licking America arse doesn't fool anyone into thinking it still has power.

Having said that, the support for Ukraine is laudable and the EU has not done enough

• Registered Users Posts: 13,780 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Usual Communist game. Things go wrong so you look to blame internal enemies, liquidate the Kulaks and running dogs who collaborate with the Capitalist enemies/Nazis/Jews etc etc.

It's never the twisted system they operate in and under.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,195 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I feel that attack on Russian bases, and the Russians blaming it on the victims, is only going to damage Russian soldier morale even more.

I also suspect the reason given (soldiers usong their phones) is to dissuade soldiers from contacting families while at the frontline and giving the State more control of the narrative.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Hobgoblin11

The Armed Forces of Ukraine hit the "military commandant's office" in the occupied Vasylivka of the Zaporizhzhia region, there are casualties

Dundalk, Co. Louth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

They might even believe this was the reason and ignore that it was probably satellite and drone surveillance tracking massive troop movements to certain locations followed up with confirmation from the ground. They don't explain anywhere why there was an ammo stockpile located in the basement though. Question now is where do the occupiers stay safely, the UKR are spread out, dispersed in houses so cannot suffer big losses, if you try that with inexperienced conscripts how do they communicate receive orders when there is a mobile phone ban, how do you supply them with essentials food and ammo and how does command enforce discipline.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,010 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

It won't work though will it? Unless they search and strip all phones from their personnel which will cause resentment and probably make operations more difficult. Can you imagine rounding up a gang of 18-30 yr old recruits here and demanding to take their phones off them or insisting they don't use them?

You know, it's really unfair of Ukraine to be using modern techniques when fighting such as AI, for gawd's sake. This is bad darts, when the Russians only have WW1 tactics to fall back on. Shame on any of ye supporting this asymmetric war. #PoorRussiacantcatchabreak

‼️Military Intelligence of Ukraine records intensification of resistance movement in Russia

📌On the night of January 4, in Russia, the partisans once again stopped the movement of civilian trains and military echelons on the section of the Trans-Siberian Railway in the area of Krasnoyarsk.

☝️In the new 2023, this is at least the sixth case of destruction of signaling, centralization and blocking units on the railway in different regions of Russia, which leads to violations in the schedules of movement of military echelons.

☑️In the past 2022, about 40 such cases were recorded, as well as cases of destruction of railway transformers and locomotives. A significant activation of rail partisans in Russia took place after Putin's regime announced partial mobilization.

The enemy within. If they do the usual and try punishing collectively, they will just recruit more to the cause. Unfortunately, Ukraine has a similar but far worse problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,410 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It was already policy I believe to not allow soldiers bring their own phones. Or it's policy to check every soldiers phone.

The raping soldiers north of Kyiv were stealing phones from murdered Ukrainians on the street to call home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,474 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

In fairness, I think most of the West assumed that Putin could somehow be 'contained' in a similar fashion to 2014-21 i.e. not be close to him at all, but on just about cordial or passable relations with him and the regime. His invasion of Ukraine in February shocked all of them to the core and they suddenly realised he is now a menace and major threat to global stability.

More on the precision strike in Zaporizhzhia earlier no numbers on casualties yet

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭junkyarddog

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭eoinbn

This is purely about the economic reality. I full support Ukraine.

The war in Ukraine will end up costing European countries hundreds of billions, if not trillions, and will enrich America.

Europe is dealing with the migrant crisis, not the US. That alone will dwarf America's military contribution financially.

The damage to the European economy could last generations. Many EU industries will be wiped out. Manufacturing which was already expensive in the EU will become even less competitive and likely move to the US/Asia. We are already seeing signs of this with European wind turbines becoming uncompetitive, talk of Intel pulling the plug on the massive German factory (they now want more money). Wait until it hits the German car industry which indirectly employees millions all over Europe.

I do agree that we could be doing more on the military front. There is still no sign of Marders or MBTs - both would have been extremely useful in a spring offense but is now far too late for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Just thoughts off top of my head...about "weakness" of European countries specifically, rather than the West, don't think it was much of a factor here. Likes of France, UK and certainly Germany may have all been militarily stronger + have been weakening since end of Cold war, but they were never very united in foreign policy since then. I don't think Russia/Putin ever saw them as an obstacle really worthy of consideration.

I think there were probably 2 places he was watching before making decision to invade. First the US (for signs its response to what he might do would be weak, e.g. if busy navel-gazing and bound up with internal political chaos). However even internally weakened and distracted, US is still overwhelmingly strong compared to other nations. It is resilient as well, and has gotten over serious internal issues before. Seems like Putin totally forgot that or believed all of his own bullshit propaganda (about both the US and Europe) as dictators appear to do when they get old.

Other was Ukraine itself of course. It was tending towards an EU/Western social + political alignment. Spreading lies + propaganda and corruption, greyzone attacks, provoking conflicts etc. which seem to be the foreign policy tools he knows for Russia's relations with all the post-Soviet countries around it had failed. They were not working to prevent this any more, but actually accelerating further the loss of Russia's influence in Ukraine IMO.

So the big idea was to go to war, annex Ukraine with a quick invasion - topple the govt. and install a puppet regime + do a horrible vicious purge of the pro-EU/Western leaning population just like some of the old Soviet/Russian tyrants he probably looks up to, Stalin for e.g.

edit: Apart from above...yeah would agree it was a close "escape" for Ukraine. It is time for the large/powerful democratic countries that are capable of it, probably not to spout a load of bellicose rhetoric like these scummy tinpot dictatorships do but to act & up their military spending and visibly arm themselves again. The old saw "If you want peace prepare for war" seems to have become very relavant again unfortunately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement