Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2023?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

fair play, I'd love to be doing those kms by then!

for me this year was about stopping the rot. restarted commuting to work, did a few mtb races. km went up from 3000 to 3700 which I'm fairly happy with. climbing increased more than that. longest spin was just over 100km..

For next year I'll target 5000km. Definitely would like some longer spins but I'm not obsessed with getting back to 200km. Will be going to morzine for mtb, hopefully do the cooley thriller also. targetting the blitz this year as always.

Phenomenal going. Well done. I just realised we follow each other on Strava after seeing one of the pictures you posted on here recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Sold a bike today, so first goal of 2023 achieved - make room for another bike!

Hope to hit 8,000km this year. Just need more consistency during the week (and more cycling during holidays)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,890 ✭✭✭patrickc

sort out niggles with myself and my bike!

I set a target for 9000k this year and hit a little over it, I'm not going to set one for 2023 but would like to do more this year.

my longest spin was 220k solo and I might attempt a 300k.

I did a good bit more elevation this year, but still I am not comfortable with descents so I'd like to be better on those.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

Thanks, Phenomenal is a bit much, I've always enjoyed sport and when my younger brothers ask me why i still continue... I answer ...it's because I can ... some day I won't be able to say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Can't remember whether I even committed specific goals for 2022. Things in so much flux, still, I had my main one as consistency in training (which I did), and then not get my head completely kicked in with the vets (I didn't, except for age champs, and won 2 races from my group).

Main events for 2023 are Flanders; Raid Alpine; Lakelander (for the 3rd time).

Process Goals: Keep the consistency of the training, which is becoming more of a challenge as work adjusts to more normality from just WFH. Fuel workouts/ don't diet on the bike. Be a bit more consistent in races.

Health/ General Goals: Some strength/ mobility work; Race weight before the race season - I think chasing it during the season hampered me a bit (see "don't diet on the bike"); More sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Main thing for me is to actually get some solid training done and strike a better balance with it and life! Ive not gotten back to regular long spins since we had our little lad. Im into vets this year so aiming at at least a podium at the M40 national TT, finish Ras again (and try get into a break again in that), Gorey 3 day (would loe to say top 10ish but that hilly stage is just to much for my 80+kg to survive with front few!), race a lot more (easier now with vets races an option too). Also just to aim for too much as usual i hope to get back to triathlon this year. No aims but get a few races done and from next year kick on to aim for places again.

Right now i just wana train, on/off sick constantly the last 6 to 8 weeks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

Part of my 2022 was a Covid project that needed completion: To cycle around Kildare, using the most 'extreme' paved roads, without trespassing into other counties, or doubling back on spurs. It was great fun exploring remote corners, and I had multiple false starts, but got it eventually.

Its 270 km, with 30 km access for me, so 300km. I might try that in 2023, in the other direction.

Anyway, it might be an idea worth copying, in whole or in parts. RidewithGPS is your friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Jeez I thought I was doing well with my 145km elevation. See that looney bin on GCN they did a million metres. Fuppin' 'eck.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

I'm doing the Titan Desert in Morocco in May

https://skodatitandesertmorocco.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I'm not going to set distance type goals this year as I tend to miss them by a bit!

I want to do Stelvio pass from both sides in a single ride when in Bormio in July. Also cycle Bormio to Livigno by the off road track that's meant to be incredible.

Then at home I'll do the Orwell Randonnee and aim for at least 1 gravel & 1 MTB sportive type event. Finally, just try to get out on the bike and enjoy doing so as much as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭lissard

Managed 5500km in 2022 which was down 1200km from last year, life and covid intervened knocking out 2 months so I'm pretty pleased. Managed a lot of 100k+ spins, various sportives and 5 HC climbs. For 2023 my main targets are

• Getting my weight under control - if I can consistently get to 90kg I'll be happy
    • Start commuting by bike on a regular basis.
    • Event target is a multiday tour in the Pyrenees. Hopefully get to ride the Tourmalet, Peyresourde etc.
    • Multiday tour in Ireland
    • Weekly clubs spins and league races.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

I enjoy this thread every year. Some inspirational targets hit well done all!

I’d like to break 2000km and fit in another WW200 . I’d like to do more than 2000km but I’m also aiming for Dublin Marathon for first time in 2023.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,400 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think doing it on a bike would be considered cheating, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Doc07

I wish, still don’t know how I agreed to this running/marathon lark for this year. I think it will be a ‘one and done’ no matter what time I do it in…unlike cycling where my slowness inspires me and I’ll be doing WW200 #5

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Mr. Cats

Managed about 7500km in 2022 so happy enough with that. Started running again in September so that’s taken some time away from mid week riding. My longest & most memorable spin was out and back (& up!) Mount Leinster from South Dublin - 240k on a beautiful September’s day. Nothing to think about except riding my bike all day - heaven!

Have booked in for Flanders for April which is my first event outside Ireland so really looking forward to that. Other than that would like to do a multi day b&b tour this year - thinking maybe ferry to either Fishguard or Holyhead and cycling to the other port for ferry back again. Other goal is to ride more outside and less on trainer when weather and light allow. Fitness from trainer is great but headspace from outside trumps it overall.

Hope everyone here achieves their plans and meets their goals!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭DrumcDub1

First real full year of committed cycling on the cards, planning for:

-5000km

-join a club and do weekly spins

-ROK

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

((Cycle + meet the lads + coffee + cake) x 70) + climb a few foreign mountains = happy out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I've bike marshalled it - it's harder than you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,052 ✭✭✭✭neris

Ideally just to get out 2-3 times a week even just for an hour up around Howth each time just to get the last few kgs off. Turn the clock back the guts of a decade and get in a 150-180km around the wicklow hills. Easy part will be the same as every year, sit back and watch plenty of the big 1 day & gt races on eurosport & itv

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,113 ✭✭✭mr spuckler

I cycled the course one year a week or 2 after the marathon itself. Obeying all traffic lights I didn't break 2 hours by a whole lot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been suffering with a sore lower back since the beginning of September. If I don't stretch daily it flares up. Last time I was on the turbo was the beginning of November where my back was giving me some discomfort after 10 minutes, whatever I did that day was too much as it would spasm while out on a walk the next day. This is where I'd normally say I want to do 2,000km because the most I've done in a single year for the last 5 years is 1,000km but I'd really just like to get out and ride more.

My goal for this year is to climb to the top of Ticknock. The fastest I've done it was 32 minutes and that was on a hardtail. I'm not a climber, never was and I'm 110kg so I have my work cut out for me. Even when I was 75kg and with 34x32 I hated it. I have the climb on my Garmin for the turbo, I'll chip away at it so I don't do my back in. Hopefully when it's Spring I'll be able to at least do it on my ebike in person, I won't have to power as hard but it will still get the lungs going.

Not the most exciting goal considering I'm only bloody 30! Last year was a pretty tough year mentally, when not on the bike I'd at least do several 1-2hr walks a week with a good podcast which has also stopped. I'd like to get back into that too, so in summary I just need to get more air and stretch the legs!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,297 ✭✭✭secman

@DaveyDave...have you ever considered doing Pilates, I too suffered for years with back spasms. I started doing Pilates June 2021, just wished I had discovered it 30 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭sy_flembeck

Started 2022 with the sole intention of beating the 8600km of 2021. Finished up on 10500km, which was slightly disappointing as, like everyone else here, the figures fell off the cliff in November/ December. Wanted to top 100km climbing again and reached 113km so I was happy with that. It was also the third year in a row I've done more mileage on my bike than in my car and considering it's also the third year in a row I've splashed out on a new car I reckon it's taught me I don't need a new car this year. Or next.

I also did my first Audax, the Dublin County Borders, which then gave me my now longest single spin of 215km.

For 2023 I intend doing more Audaxes and that's the only specific target I'm setting. Other than actually getting outside on a bike at some stage. I've heard good things.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I'll definitely be looking into it, I've heard it's very good. I have some basics to help strengthen my back and core but nothing major, just need to improve the stretches and loosening up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,987 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Surely you can exchange her for something better than a used Brompton?

I hit one of my targets for the year yesterday by getting a bike fit. Rang a guy recommended to me and he asked and he had a spot in the afternoon. Took two hours in total, ended up raising the saddle considerably and moving the saddle back on the rail. Few other minor adjustments too. Got some good tips on pedalling technique as he spotted a problem.

Very interesting process and well worth the investment as I did a spin after and for the first time in about three months didn't feel I was straining my hamstring or quads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,569 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

A kinda strange goal ive had for a while is to do solo consecutive 100k spins over two days.

Nowhere near it currently, in fact probably couldnt be futher from it at the moment! But if things go well i might get it over the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Gerry

One goal which I didnt put above but is achieved is to get my road bike back to tubeless and on big tyres. Finally got some panaracer tlc slicks 38cs, a battle to get them on and sealed but I'm happy now.. its so much more comfortable.. uneven or worn roads are no longer a concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭f1000

Nothing major, just need to get out more and spend time in the saddle and the rest will hopefully follow...

Plus, get my hands dirty again as the bikes need some maintenance, new parts and TLC

Advertisement